392 replies to this topic

#21 Kali Rinpoche

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCrossing, Draconis March

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:58 PM

PGI, you have failed again to address the high legacy cost of the new system for us veteran players with large stables of mechs. Please tell me why many of us will be having to spend billions of cbills to spec out mechs to make them playable again.

60k per node is still too high.

If this goes live, I will have to reconsider my future financial commitment to this product.

Edited by Kali Rinpoche, 08 March 2017 - 04:01 PM.

#22 process

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:00 PM

That's disappointing.
  • Still no free respec -- better to have permanent, higher up-front cost than never-ending XP grinding.
  • Still no incentive to purchase more than one variant of each chassis -- at least let us pool HXP per chassis to help consolidate our current mechs instead of more grind.
  • Too many nodes, arbitrary amount of SP, generally awkward skill tree layout.

Edited by process, 08 March 2017 - 04:06 PM.

#23 Admiral-Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 578 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:01 PM

Really???
You are going live with this state?
With 6 Consumables?
With half-baked trees?
With huge investment in each owned mech?
With an enormous grind after each balance patch?

I`m sure that will be highly entertaining. ;-)
*search popcorn*

#24 William Warriors

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 283 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:13 PM

Conclusion, don't want it and ever want it. However, if PGI is going to ram this insanity down our throat, best to have both system in place. The old and the new. However, you should fix your terrain issues before anything else

#25 Martallica

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 46 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:14 PM

The game needs a bit of a shake up and I like this , make it happen .

#26 Steve Pryde

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,465 posts
  • LocationGermany

Wow really PGI? The skill tree is still messed up and no one asked for six(!) consumable slots. This patch release will be the biggest disaster in the history of MWO.

#27 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 08 March 2017 - 03:49 PM, said:

Lol only if you are gullible.

And yeah, you will never have to hunt down or swap modules again, you will just have to grind C-bills for hours instead!

Yup, I am gullible. I like to customize my Mechs, and if that makes me gullible then you might need to look that word up in the dictionary. It has nothing to do with customization. If you are referring to costs, remember that a fully kitted Mech requires at least four modules and all of the GXP needed to unlock those modules in the first place.

New players don't need to grind for their GXP anymore. New players do not need to buy 3 Mechs in order to just level 1 anymore. But I guess you don't care about new player experience, do you? You think everyone should just throw cash at the game to convert their XP into GXP for the current system don't you? To be clear you do not support new players or free players. It's a good thing the new system does though.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 08 March 2017 - 04:17 PM.

#28 Archer Magnus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 218 posts
  • LocationFoCo

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:15 PM

Please combine XP pool for all variants! (vs. per chassis)

#29 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:18 PM

oi vey.

Didn't see the notice. Was still trying to test, and got booted.

If this goes live as is, it will be a travesty.

From the nerfs and the making of numerous chassis variants nearly identical (contrary to the stated goals of increasing choice and diversity), to the horror of the UI and what it will do the NPE, and on to the simple inefficiency of node "paths" that require you to get useless functionality; all of it...a travesty of game play design and implementation.

Geezus. I think I'll go play CW.

Oh wait, never mind.

#30 Rhialto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,084 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationQuébec, QC - CANADA

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:19 PM

Looks like PTS will continu on LIVE servers this month...

No words if some quirks nerf will be reverted like HBK-4J.

Oh well, not sure about going all over my Mechs to fintune each... glad I don't have 200+ like some of you!

#31 cougurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • 669 posts

i still don't see any good reason for the whole tree structure. a linear series of upgrades would be less visually messy, and would also be easier to expand upon should you ever add new weapons and equipment.

at any rate, the number of nodes should at least be reduced.

#32 Hobbles v

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 354 posts

Skill tree nodes promising but not ideal yet. Hope PGI tweaks it rightly.

The engine decoupling is extremely bad. Every mech so far I've tested has slowed down considerably. Mechs with low engine caps got less agile too. Scrap this feature.

#33 Dr Mlem

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 239 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:21 PM

I'd like respec's to be free, and just pay the cost higher in the beginning at least. Half the fun is trying new builds.

That being said, I'm glad somethings being put in. Even if it needs to be worked on in some ways. A good starting point at least to start in. Almost every change, people usually disagree with. And in some cases (like powerdraw) it seemingly gets killed by the community.

I imagine their will be massive issues, or balancing issues. But personally, I'm willing to wait if I dislike something. I would rather their be more PTS, but in the end I dont think you will satisfy everyone.

Edited by Lazy Badger, 08 March 2017 - 04:28 PM.

#34 -Ramrod-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 680 posts
  • LocationSome place

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:22 PM

A) Nothing is going to stop or even deter boating

B. The current skill tree is just fine. Maybe a tweak or two here and there but otherwise not broken

C) More effort into new game modes, new maps, and just overall more content other than a new mech a month (Which the next few months are just going to be garbage DOA mechs that no one will pilot regularly).

D) Be prepared for more boating and fewer mech chassis on the field.

Edited by Ramrod AI, 08 March 2017 - 04:23 PM.

#35 Sonny Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 445 posts
  • LocationThe Motion Lounge

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:30 PM

View Postshameless, on 08 March 2017 - 03:13 PM, said:

please Dear God PGI, learn from the single request we all agree on. Don't make us buy tons of skill nodes we do not want, or that do not affect the mech, just to get to skills we do want. if you're gonna do that, then let's just keep the system we have.

IMO freely given and worth almost that much The way it will be set up will force a player to think and consider what nodes you really want....ie is it really worth it to get a node I don't want in order to get 1-2 I do want.

#36 Clanner Scum

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 338 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:33 PM

These sound like good changes and I'm happy with the end result. At first it was rough and I wasn't too happy about it, but with the reiterations I think this new skill tree will be a good thing.

Thank you PGI for listening and thank you again for the hard work.

#37 The Lighthouse

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:36 PM

Urgh, so the 21th is the date I stop buying mechs and focus on c-bill grinding.

I..... hope (more like wish) this works for PGI.

#38 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:37 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 08 March 2017 - 03:44 PM, said:

It's nice being able to customize my skills instead of the current generic system of "You got XP! Click here to redeem buffs"

The tree is a massive step forward in offering uniqueness

View PostProsperity Park, on 08 March 2017 - 04:14 PM, said:

Yup, I am gullible. I like to customize my Mechs, and if that makes me gullible then you might need to look that word up in the dictionary.

You are regurgitating what PGI has said about the skill tree.

There will be no tangible uniqueness, just more hit points, shorter duration lasers, and faster projectiles.

#39 ArmageddonKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 710 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:44 PM

LOL

PGI is being PGI.

Ok put it live, and watch the mountain of salt pile up.

its not ready. No where near it even.

Your still using a crap layout.
Your still not listening to people.
And your still using balance techniques that fail misserably by affecting things that were not primaryily intended. Like nerfing CD to increase TTK when the meta is alpha striking ..which doesnt get affected by CD much. But DPS builds get affect ALOT.

PGI, you really need to interect with this forum more. You actions seem to indicate that your not reading your own forums at all. and its rather obvious.

#40 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts
  • LocationA hypervelocity planet

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:45 PM

ahhh, I had finally remembered to get the numbers to compare with from live.
to discover I'm 10 minutes too late to double check the change in PTS

okay ,
was having less -heat generation & Cool Down in the new skill tree intentional ?
even if I was to select the unwanted nodes to get max of -heat and faster cooldown, it still is less then live (current)

Heat management I can match and better then live, but I cannot match any numbers that I get from just adding Modules in the current live version.

unfortunately, I wasn't able to play enough in PTS to get a more accurate comparison , with the little time I did spend, there is nerf to DPS, due to cooldown and -heat having the smaller numbers. I wanted to see if the extra heat management gained balanced it, form what I could clock, it didn't , the nerf still there, noticeable but much smaller, but it required almost 60 SP to get the nerf to be less noticeable, and a lot of nodes that are never needed or have any use.

oh well . . possible another Thole moment coming

ETA: I keep forgetting to add, I actually like the new skill tree, just was hoping to match what I have now with modules, or getting better

Edited by Xaat Xuun, 08 March 2017 - 04:47 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users