2 Man Groups Should Be Allowed In Qp Solo Queue

28 replies to this topic

#1 DjPush

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:15 AM

Might make the drop times a little quicker. Currently waiting with a friend in group queue for the last 5 minutes and haven't found a match.

#2 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:21 AM

No way, way to easy to abuse as a meta tryhard 2-man in a sea of solo players. A lot of times its too easy to abuse a top tier mech in the solo queue dropping solo.

#3 Coolant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:29 AM

agree, duo should be in solo

#4 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:35 AM

I've had this argument with people before, and it got a bit... nasty. I believe that teams should have 1-2 2-mans at maximum in QP, but a lot of people believe it will result in curbstomping potatoes and that I only want it because I'm a scrub who needs a hand-up so I can curbstomp people. I actually just want to play with friends without having to say hello to 4-6 man drops by units, but, w.e. Russ said awhile back that they aren't going to 2-mans to QP, so, it's a moot point.

#5 Tatula

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 683 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:01 AM

I can see both sides of the argument. In QP where I mostly play, I've seen top players carry the team. Imagine what two top players together can do in the solo queue. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure sync-drops are happening so this is already going on in some cases. I can see the benefits of allowing 2-man's into the solo queue. Playing with a buddy is SO MUCH MORE enjoyable than being solo that I think it will help with player retention. It will also make it easier to introduce and train new players. Maybe all that's needed to make this happen is a better match maker algorithm. If there's a 2-man T1 team waiting in the solo queue, they will only get on if the opposite team also has a 2-man T1 team. We can probably agree that we don't really care if there are lower tier 2-man teams or T1+lower tier teams (how else can we train?) in the solo queue. Will it be abuse? Sure! But I think abuse will be rare enough and the benefit great enough to enable this feature.

#6 DjPush

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:14 AM

I doubt that letting a single two man group into a solo drop, after they have been waiting a couple minutes in group is going to equate to constant pug stomps by two players. I'm just saying that putting a condition in the MM, where a 2 man that has been waiting for X amount of time, gets fitted into the solo queue. I think that it would help drop some queue times.

View PostAloha, on 09 March 2017 - 10:01 AM, said:

I can see the benefits of allowing 2-man's into the solo queue. Playing with a buddy is SO MUCH MORE enjoyable than being solo that I think it will help with player retention. It will also make it easier to introduce and train new players.

This is an excellent point.

#7 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:14 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 09 March 2017 - 09:21 AM, said:

No way, way to easy to abuse as a meta tryhard 2-man in a sea of solo players. A lot of times its too easy to abuse a top tier mech in the solo queue dropping solo.

Marik Monday sync drops would get a lot funner :)

#8 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:17 AM

This again? If you think this is a good idea, you have no idea how much a two man of good players in, say, NTGs would control matches.

#9 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:20 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 09 March 2017 - 09:21 AM, said:

Hey, wanna grab a KDK3 and go clubbing?

Only way I can see it is a significant tonnage penalty, to the tune of 100 tons for the pair. Reduces the carry potential

#10 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:28 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 09 March 2017 - 10:20 AM, said:

Only way I can see it is a significant tonnage penalty, to the tune of 100 tons for the pair. Reduces the carry potential

Meh. You and me in HBK-IIC-As. We still decide that match.

#11 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:39 AM

View PostTercieI, on 09 March 2017 - 10:28 AM, said:

Meh. You and me in HBK-IIC-As. We still decide that match.

Notably less outright power

++annoyance

#12 Tatula

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 683 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:51 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 09 March 2017 - 10:20 AM, said:

Hi Mcgral18. Played a few matches with you last night, both on your team and against you. You don't need a KDK3 or a buddy to go clubbing. You can do that all by yourself with your MAD-IIC. But whatever floats your boat.

As I said, top tier players can influence a match. That's going to happen in solo queue or group queue. As long as the MM take that into account when forming the teams then it should be OK. Had several lobsided matches in the QP queue last night, both stomping and being stomped, so stomps are going to happen whether we allow 2-man's in QP or not. But will YOU enjoy a QP match if you have a buddy playing with you? I know I will. So, as long as the MM puts a equal (in theory) 2-man team on the opposite team it should be OK.

#13 RussianWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:36 AM

No upside for the actual solos.

#14 R Valentine

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:42 AM

Only if you take a substantial tonnage penalty. Curb stomps are already the norm. Allow duo queue with 2 assaults and curb stomps will be the ONLY kind of games around. At least now and I then I get a competitive game.

#15 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:42 AM

View PostTercieI, on 09 March 2017 - 10:17 AM, said:

This again? If you think this is a good idea, you have no idea how much a two man of good players in, say, NTGs would control matches.

Sadly, this.

The truth is, if you want to run with a buddy, you are assed out. Yes, it sucks to find yourself facing a large premade in Group Play... been there, done that, got the hospital bills. But by the same token a pair of good, let alone competitive players, in QP? Can absolutely control the match in all but the rarest exceptions where the opfor actually decides to follow a cohesive leader. But it's also far easier for a pair of good players to get people to "join" their power bloc, often based on Tags alone.

What needs to be done, is that 2-3 man groups need to be matched to larger premades as much as possible... there is little to know excuse to drop a Skittles team in Group Play against a 8-12 man. But as much as I love to just chill with a buddy, I can't agree with allowing in in QP. Yeah, once in a while people pull off a sync (even when trying it happens a lot less than you think) drop, but that is a pretty rare occurrence, overall. No need making it "official" in QP.

#16 Tatula

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 683 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:54 AM

View PostRussianWolf, on 09 March 2017 - 11:36 AM, said:

No upside for the actual solos.

Actually I think there is. The wait time to get into a match should be shortened because now you have 2 people who normally wait in the group queue is now in the solo queue.

#17 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:23 PM

View PostAloha, on 09 March 2017 - 11:54 AM, said:

Actually I think there is. The wait time to get into a match should be shortened because now you have 2 people who normally wait in the group queue is now in the solo queue.

I've haven't had a solo drop take more than 30 seconds to form a group in over a year and a half... so I don't exactly see this as some sort of massive change for the better.

#18 Ronan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:24 PM

This comes 'round every so often. Still a "no" for all the reasons that have already been brought up or will be brought up.

#19 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:26 PM

No.

#20 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:27 PM

If you're a pug, you fight pugs.

If you're a premade, you fight premades.

That's about as fair as it can get.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users