New Skill Tree: Lessons I Learned? Never Sell Anything, Buy More Modules, And Experiment In Smurfy, Not The Live Mechlab.

49 replies to this topic

#41 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:33 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 12 March 2017 - 02:27 PM, said:

A well thought out and written response.

I understand that there is more depth now and getting my money back for the modules i was gaming the system with is my penalty, i get that. But the 3 mech system punished me more then the module tricks and that is the real issue here. I could sell off 2 of the 5 novas i have but will it equal out to helping me get back? Will i regret the sell because PGI buffs those ones?

#42 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:42 PM

View PostRevis Volek, on 12 March 2017 - 02:33 PM, said:

I understand that there is more depth now and getting my money back for the modules i was gaming the system with is my penalty, i get that. But the 3 mech system punished me more then the module tricks and that is the real issue here. I could sell off 2 of the 5 novas i have but will it equal out to helping me get back? Will i regret the sell because PGI buffs those ones?

isn't that the same dilemma we face everytime the meta shifts and quirks change, anyway? (that's if I understood what you were saying fully, which I may not have, if so, apologies)

If it were up to me, all this historic XP and stuff, IDK I'd just tie it up as generic chassis XP. So if I had 50000 xp on the GRF-1S, but sold it, just put it into a base pool for all griffins. In fact, once a mech is mastered, let me just put all future xp into a base pool that I can then reinvest into any of the variants as I see fit.

But I also ain't a programmer, so that may be easier said than done. My preference for Weight Class and Role Nodes apparently was too much for the system, at least according to Chris.. who knows more about their system than I do... and so far more than anyone I've heard chime in, so until then, I reckon I'll take his word for it.

Still, I expect hotfixes, patches and changes to come along after it hits a live environment, so we might see some changes in some of these things.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 12 March 2017 - 02:43 PM.

#43 mouser42

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 382 posts
  • Locationb-more

Posted 12 March 2017 - 03:14 PM

spending pretend space coin on skill tree may leave little for new mechs hmmmm.......... to buy new mechs you'll have to grind more or use real cash hmmmm........ nope can't see that doing any harm or pissing players off

#44 Marauder3D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 744 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:42 AM

I liked the information breakdown here so I did the same. Not sure I like what I found out though:

Matches: 4304
Cbills earned: 656,992,688. (About 60 mill left currently)
Modules: 435 million worth (way, way more than I thought!)
Mastered mechs: 157
Total mechs: 207

My beef: take the 435 million module refund, and divide it by 5 million to level a mech to mastery under the new system. It comes out to enough money to level 87 out of my 157 mechs back to mastery. That seems prettt punitive. I'll give the new trees a shot and probably have fun messing with them, but ouch.

#45 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:50 AM

View PostMarauder3D, on 13 March 2017 - 09:42 AM, said:

I liked the information breakdown here so I did the same. Not sure I like what I found out though:

Matches: 4304
Cbills earned: 656,992,688. (About 60 mill left currently)
Modules: 435 million worth (way, way more than I thought!)
Mastered mechs: 157
Total mechs: 207

My beef: take the 435 million module refund, and divide it by 5 million to level a mech to mastery under the new system. It comes out to enough money to level 87 out of my 157 mechs back to mastery. That seems prettt punitive. I'll give the new trees a shot and probably have fun messing with them, but ouch.

closer to 4.09 million ,each, actually. which (with you current 60 mil) would be 120 mechs. Or 106 for the 435 million. So yeah, not total replacement. Of them, how many have "permanent" modules? (seems like you have around 140 modules or so)

#46 Marauder3D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 744 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:59 AM

I think around 16 mechs fully moduled up. (Clan deck, IS deck; clan scout, Is Scout, and the 4 crabs I'm currently actively levelling)

The rest seem to be a bunch of weapon modules (basically 1 of everything and up to 5 of major weapon systems like IS Medium lasers or clan SRM 4/6)

I'm gonna to level some fresh spiders and loyalty mechs under the new system (Cicada, Wolverine, Nova, and Executioner) to see what the new experience is like.

#47 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:05 AM

View PostMarauder3D, on 13 March 2017 - 09:59 AM, said:

I think around 16 mechs fully moduled up. (Clan deck, IS deck; clan scout, Is Scout, and the 4 crabs I'm currently actively levelling)

The rest seem to be a bunch of weapon modules (basically 1 of everything and up to 5 of major weapon systems like IS Medium lasers or clan SRM 4/6)

I'm gonna to level some fresh spiders and loyalty mechs under the new system (Cicada, Wolverine, Nova, and Executioner) to see what the new experience is like.

Yeah, I'll have a fresh set of Assassins to work on come patch day, and a Roughneck, next month, so that should be educational. Man, I can't believe how much I'm looking forward to that Roughneck. And call me crazy, because I know there WILL be problems with the new skill tree, engine desync, quirks, etc... but I'm realyl looking forward to starting that, so that we can hopefully work some of them out. I actually was starting to really enjoy how I could customize and really focus on different aspects with different mechs.

#48 Marauder3D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 744 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:21 AM

The new system will also let my level the loyalty Cicada without purchasing any others, which is pretty cool. I'm concerned that the Spiders will feel sluggish with the Engine decoupling, but I'll find that out on he 21st. Mostly 255XLs in those IIRC.

#49 RussianWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:37 AM

You played way more than me Bishop

Under Current stats

8007 matches 11,829,719 XP and 1,005,068,982 Cbills

Archived

4433 matches 3,854,610 XP and 480,204,137 Cbills

So I average 1477XP and 125,523 Cbills per match under the current stats.

I may have a dozen modules, just never really used them.

Here is the kicker.

I just counted on my profile... I have 280 mechs. There are a couple duplicates from the loyalty mechs (King Crab, Atlas, Cent) and maybe a one or two more. The last mech I bought was the Cicada 3F??? (The Jump Jet one) and the Free Centurian from the promo in the last couple months. The last two I didn't get to master before stepping away from the game (in fact I only logged in last to check that I received the Cent). But the other 278 are mastered. Subtract out the duplicates and I'm looking at 270-275 mastered variants.

I have 49million cbills right now plus whatever I'd get fro the modules.

Call it a hunch, but I don't think they will go far enough to make a dent. If current numbers hold, I'm looking at 1,093,500,000 cbills to get them up to mastered. Even if you assume half to get them back to their current mastery,........That's a long haul at 125k per match. 4000 matches give or take?

#50 Marauder3D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 744 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:05 AM

You seem like an outlier case PGI should take a look at. Hopefully there will be some solution so players like you can not be given the shaft!

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users