Inner Sphere Needs A Good Ecm Heavy Mech.

Balance BattleMechs

83 replies to this topic

#61 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:49 AM

Tempest is more useful than people give it credit for. Or try this.

No, it's not as good or as versatile as the Hellbringer. But it's an IS Mech... and IS can't have Good Things.

#62 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:47 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 13 March 2017 - 06:31 AM, said:

Some people do have fun piloting competitive mechs. Shocking, I know.

Yeah it seems like theres this weird thing where "meta" is a bad word or something. Or it's a reason not to add a mech, etc.

#63 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:04 AM

Keep in mind ECM is getting nerfed quite a bit, and you have to invest a substantial amount of nodes (too many to be worth it) to get back what you lost.

View PostClanner Scum, on 12 March 2017 - 12:17 PM, said:

Screw the meta. There's lots of non-meta mechs in the game so I see no reason why we can't add it just as something fun to play.

Now you listen here clanner scum!

The point of this thread was to desire an effective heavy ECM chassis. Now if you think its cool to play suboptimal loadouts on suboptimal chassis, that's your prerogative, but the entire point of this thread is discussing a viable ("meta") IS heavy mech with ECM. So..

Posted Image

View PostTheArisen, on 13 March 2017 - 07:47 AM, said:

Yeah it seems like theres this weird thing where "meta" is a bad word or something. Or it's a reason not to add a mech, etc.

"We don't need more good mechs, let's get some more bad mechs"

#64 Coolant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:30 AM

there is already the cataphract oxp...3 lpl and ecm and ur set

#65 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:33 AM

View PostCoolant, on 13 March 2017 - 08:30 AM, said:

there is already the cataphract oxp...3 lpl and ecm and ur set

LOL. Oh wait you are serious... well that's awkward.

I didn't realize 3 knuckledragging LPLs in opposite arms was a winning loadout. Did you miss MechLab day at MechWarrior college?

#66 Erronius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:39 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 13 March 2017 - 08:04 AM, said:

Keep in mind ECM is getting nerfed quite a bit, and you have to invest a substantial amount of nodes (too many to be worth it) to get back what you lost.

I honestly don't get that skill tree (assuming what I'm looking at hasn't changed). There's only 2 enhanced ECM nodes and they're gated behind radar derp and a ton of other nodes? Why would I want radar derp if I'm going all the way to ECM? <mind explodes>

Is March 21st going to be the beginning of a new Lurmageddon due to people not wanting to spend points in that tree for the new radar derp?

Anyways, I only play QP so it's hit and miss, but I can totally see a need for an IS mech like this, whose role is mated to sticking with the pack. That would be a lot less awkward than having an entire team argue over who the PB should hang back and cover...

#67 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,611 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:49 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 11 March 2017 - 10:41 PM, said:

Most of its hardpoints are mounted low. So not ideal. Same with Bandersnatch.

Bandersnatch has high mounted hardpoints. Just not as high as a Jagermech or Rifleman. The distance between the shoulder and elbow is shorter than many mechs and the cockpit sits at the shoulder level. Not many mechs can support a standard load-out of 2x LB-10X, 6x MLAS, and 3xLRM5 plus ECM. That's a lot of hardpoints! Rivals Clan loadouts and although the mech is wide the components are all narrow so should have a small hitbox signature if it's like the main picture on Sarna.

I am sure we will see the Thanatos, but without some interest the Bandersnatch will be forgotten and that would be a real shame. Very few heavy mechs can beat what the Bandersnatch can bring to players.

#68 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:37 PM

View PostErronius, on 13 March 2017 - 09:39 AM, said:

I honestly don't get that skill tree (assuming what I'm looking at hasn't changed). There's only 2 enhanced ECM nodes and they're gated behind radar derp and a ton of other nodes? Why would I want radar derp if I'm going all the way to ECM? <mind explodes>

Is March 21st going to be the beginning of a new Lurmageddon due to people not wanting to spend points in that tree for the new radar derp?

Anyways, I only play QP so it's hit and miss, but I can totally see a need for an IS mech like this, whose role is mated to sticking with the pack. That would be a lot less awkward than having an entire team argue over who the PB should hang back and cover...

LRMs are not gonna be that effective even post patch. Sure, every LRM mech will finally get +10% to velocity, but that's miniscule buff. If PPFLD and lasers will still reign supreme. But yeah, current IS mechs are really not suited for sticking with the pack. PB, 2N, 3FB, D-DC, etc... all have their own issues, and 0XP is just bad.

Edited by El Bandito, 13 March 2017 - 08:40 PM.

#69 Foxwalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 962 posts
  • LocationLost on Thunder Rift

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:52 PM

Crusader CRD-7L
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Crusader

Penetrator PTR-6S
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Penetrator

#70 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:03 PM

I read that ECM doesn't really matter in MWO anymore. Since I haven't been playing much lately, and certainly not competitively... can anyone confirm?

#71 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:10 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 13 March 2017 - 09:03 PM, said:

I read that ECM doesn't really matter in MWO anymore. Since I haven't been playing much lately, and certainly not competitively... can anyone confirm?

Two months ago it didn't matter much. But...that was two months ago. I don't think anything has changed since then, though, not from looking at the patch notes.

#72 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:13 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 13 March 2017 - 09:10 PM, said:

Two months ago it didn't matter much. But...that was two months ago. I don't think anything has changed since then, though, not from looking at the patch notes.

In competitive play, I'll simply take your word for it. I just thought it was worth pointing out / discussing, given the topic in this thread.

#73 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:20 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 13 March 2017 - 09:13 PM, said:

In competitive play, I'll simply take your word for it. I just thought it was worth pointing out / discussing, given the topic in this thread.

I don't care about comp play. I care about meta ECM IS Heavy mech in CW, as per title. A mech that has good ranged alpha, high mounts, and can stick with the pack.

Edited by El Bandito, 13 March 2017 - 09:24 PM.

#74 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,823 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:24 PM

View PostNovakaine, on 11 March 2017 - 10:33 PM, said:

Which one of the main reasons FW is so untenable for the IS.

Not really, the only map where ECM becomes OP is forest Colony, where visibility is so bad that many times you rely on shooting the center of the red targetting box to get hits. When Clans stack a few Hellbringers each wave on forest colony, you really notice it as IS because it's really hard to actually find a target to shoot.

Edit: I forgot you lrm like a boss, and mass ECM on the clan side probably puts a damper on that boss part

Edited by Vxheous Kerensky, 13 March 2017 - 09:27 PM.

#75 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:04 AM

View PostVxheous Kerensky, on 13 March 2017 - 09:24 PM, said:

Not really, the only map where ECM becomes OP is forest Colony, where visibility is so bad that many times you rely on shooting the center of the red targetting box to get hits. When Clans stack a few Hellbringers each wave on forest colony, you really notice it as IS because it's really hard to actually find a target to shoot.

Edit: I forgot you lrm like a boss, and mass ECM on the clan side probably puts a damper on that boss part

Even though ECM isn't what it used to be the IS still should have an their own quality ECM heavy.

Edited by TheArisen, 14 March 2017 - 08:04 AM.

#76 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,743 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:13 AM

View PostSnazzy Dragon, on 11 March 2017 - 11:06 PM, said:

How about a decent ECM IS assault other than the atlas DDC?

I mean, there's the stalker FB, but it's paywalled/inaccessible for quite a while, and that thing has a crap engine cap like all of its stalker brethren

Wow, the more you look at it, the more skewed towards clans you see the game actually is

Don't forgot the heavy mech will need to be primarily energy based. Anything dependent on ballistics will suffer either due to being slower w/STD or a glass cannon w/iXL. If LFE is actually introduced it will only cover up that particular issue.

#77 PlayerUnknown

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 241 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationUSA CALIFORNIA

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:14 AM

clans have the K3, dual gauss, dual er ppc,

I.s needs a mech that can do the same as the clans. with potential high mount ballistics. and now the Mauler no.

king crab, the arms are way to spreed out for dual Gauss.

Edited by JayRtech, 14 March 2017 - 09:17 AM.

#78 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:21 AM

Lololol

#79 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:32 AM

Don't look down on LRMs. In CW, pug filled matches are decided by LRMs on many maps such as Caustic, Alpine, and Polar. In fact, just today, (MS) led pugs had beaten KCom led pugs, because both sides' pugs had LRMs, and the Clanners brought NGyrs and Linebackers, instead of Hellbringers. If the Clan side had more Hellbringers, we would have lost for sure.
It is a well known fact that Clan LRMs in CW are far more effective than IS LRMs due to ECM disparity, especially when pugs are thrown into the equation. One simply is not able to drop 12-man all the time.

Edited by El Bandito, 14 March 2017 - 10:54 AM.

#80 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,823 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:08 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 14 March 2017 - 09:32 AM, said:

Don't look down on LRMs. In CW, pug filled matches are decided by LRMs on many maps such as Caustic, Alpine, and Polar. In fact, just today, (MS) led pugs had beaten KCom led pugs, because both sides' pugs had LRMs, and the Clanners brought NGyrs and Linebackers, instead of Hellbringers. If the Clan side had more Hellbringers, we would have lost for sure.
It is a well known fact that Clan LRMs in CW are far more effective than IS LRMs due to ECM disparity, especially when pugs are thrown into the equation. One simply is not able to drop 12-man all the time.

I don't remember ever losing due to pug lrming in FW.....random coordinated groups with mass lrms + 2 narc lights on Polar, yes. Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE an IS heavy with good high mounted energy/ballistic hardpoints and ECM.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users