60 replies to this topic

#1 TLBFestus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 08:03 PM

Posted Image

After reviewing the Podcast, I'm still kinda flabbergasted.

How many times does our beloved head OverLord have to stick his foot in his mouth before someone sits him down and has a talk with him about thinking before speaking?

At least I get to put my meager PS skills to use when this stuff starts happening. May as well have fun with it rather than cry hysterically.

Now....if only Bandito would come up with the appropriate Calvin & Hobbes rewrite.

#2 N0ni

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 12 March 2017 - 08:13 PM

I want to believe it was just a joke, calling us cheapskates.

But the way it came out without even trying to backpedal afterwards makes me think that's what he honestly believes.

Indirectly calling Phil a cheapskate is kind of funny though.

#3 Starbomber109

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 387 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 08:17 PM

View PostN0ni, on 12 March 2017 - 08:13 PM, said:

I loved Phil's reaction.

#4 chucklesMuch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,424 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 12 March 2017 - 08:29 PM

Personally didn't take offence or think much of it either way and willing to give benefit of the doubt in any case.

I agree that some PR smoothing might have been good at times... but hey its a game, and one I like! But when I compare it to real life and the people, farms, shops and animals effected by crazy flash floods that have recently effected my home city - meh its a game.

If every word or 'throw away' comment I made was analysed, and taken both in and out of context I doubt that I always would look peachy either.

#5 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 08:57 PM

Honestly, the "cheapskates" comment wasn't as onerus as it was made out to be, but it's yet another instance of Russ' mouth being in motion before the brain is engaged.

The other thing is his referral about having to be careful about "the economy". Yes...there's no real economy in this game, but having listened to it again, I believe that the economy he is talking about is PGIs economy.

They don't want to leave us with too many c-bills because it hurts PGI's economy. If you have lots of c-bills it's not such a big deal to sit and wait for a mech to come out for c-bills rather than spend MC (aka REAL money). They want people in a position that many still have to face the grind for c-bills and be tempted into spending money on the game.

" (Russ Bullock timestamp 1:48:59)...People literally getting hundreds of millions in excess c-bills. As awesome as that sounds I think you guys all want the game to continue to have a viable economy so that we can continue to, you know, run this game, so we have to be about that thinking too.....

Just to reiterate...it's PGI's economy he's referring to.

Edited by TLBFestus, 12 March 2017 - 08:57 PM.

#6 N0ni

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:05 PM

Stay tuned next week when Russ finds out that PGI affects PGI's economy, not the players!

#7 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:08 PM

View PostN0ni, on 12 March 2017 - 09:05 PM, said:

Stay tuned next week when Russ finds out that PGI affects PGI's economy, not the players!

The sooner they learn this lesson, the better it will be for everyone.

#8 AncientRaig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 584 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:08 PM

View PostTLBFestus, on 12 March 2017 - 08:57 PM, said:

Honestly, the "cheapskates" comment wasn't as onerus as it was made out to be, but it's yet another instance of Russ' mouth being in motion before the brain is engaged.

The other thing is his referral about having to be careful about "the economy". Yes...there's no real economy in this game, but having listened to it again, I believe that the economy he is talking about is PGIs economy.

They don't want to leave us with too many c-bills because it hurts PGI's economy. If you have lots of c-bills it's not such a big deal to sit and wait for a mech to come out for c-bills rather than spend MC (aka REAL money). They want people in a position that many still have to face the grind for c-bills and be tempted into spending money on the game.

Just to reiterate...it's PGI's economy he's referring to.

Which probably means incoming c-bill earnings nerfs. Fan-*******-tastic. Because that won't piss people, especially newer players, off and make them want to quit the game. Maybe they should make something actually worth spending MC on before they devalue the c-bill again.

#9 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:10 PM

View PostStarbomber109, on 12 March 2017 - 08:17 PM, said:

I loved Phil's reaction.

Yeah he just pointed at himself, in other words he owned his cheapskate ways. lol :P

I am hoping for 35 instead of 45 should be enough but still make you pay if you been a real penny pincher.

#10 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:18 PM

View PostTLBFestus, on 12 March 2017 - 08:03 PM, said:

Posted Image

After reviewing the Podcast, I'm still kinda flabbergasted.

How many times does our beloved head OverLord have to stick his foot in his mouth before someone sits him down and has a talk with him about thinking before speaking?

At least I get to put my meager PS skills to use when this stuff starts happening. May as well have fun with it rather than cry hysterically.

Now....if only Bandito would come up with the appropriate Calvin & Hobbes rewrite.

Honestly? Yes.
I like Russ, (which I know is heresy around here), but he has a serious disconnect, socially. I can only speculate on what it may be, but as a person with autism, I am very familiar with that kind of, well, tbh, cluelessness.

When he does step in it (which is often) he seems genuinely baffled by peoples response. After all, he doesn't say anything we don't say ourselves in TS; the forums, etc, right? But... he is the head of a company, not just "one of the guys". And, for various reasons, he doesn't seem to realize that more often than not, he is dealing with a hostile audience.

That said... about the cheapskate comment?

I can't help but feel that mostly it hit 2 sorts of people. The Modern Day PC Police SJW that is continuing the emasculation of a generation.... and those who aren't truly offended by it (because they regularly say far worse).... but see an opportunity to stir up the unwashed masses.

Admittedly, there is also a 3rd crowd, which is why he can't afford to be "one of the guys", which is people who are not native english speakers, so the attempt at humor falls even flatter than it does with english speakers. And even well done humor doesn't always translate... and this was not well done humor.

That said... most of the people making a big deal out of it around here? Just people looking for a replacement for the Island comment, people looking to jump on anything to try to tear PGI down a little more.

But the way it came out without even trying to backpedal afterwards makes me think that's what he honestly believes.

um, spending the next half hour backpedaling and apologizing for it in between still trying ot explain the skill tree,, is "not even trying to backpedal from it".

Seriously?

#11 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:20 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 12 March 2017 - 09:18 PM, said:

Honestly? Yes.
I like Russ, (which I know is heresy around here), but he has a serious disconnect, socially. I can only speculate on what it may be, but as a person with autism, I am very familiar with that kind of, well, tbh, cluelessness.

As a person with Autism and Asperger i can tell you it's not cluelessness but more of a inability to read social ques. I've done it before.

#12 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:26 PM

I hate social ques, it only gives other people a reason to be triggered.

#13 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:31 PM

View PostClownwarlord, on 12 March 2017 - 09:26 PM, said:

I hate social ques, it only gives other people a reason to be triggered.

All the more reason why Russ shouldn't ramble on like he does. He only ends up digging himself and PGI as a whole into deeper and deeper trouble.

#14 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:40 PM

I find it a little disappointing that people are trumpeting the cheapskate joke as a real reason to get pissed about. I know we're in the "triggered" era. But come on. Most of the whales are older adults. I would expect more from the older gentry.

Edited by MechaBattler, 12 March 2017 - 09:41 PM.

#15 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:43 PM

I am a whale, apparently having over 200 mechs makes you one. And I am a cheapskate, having only enough modules for 20 mechs maybe. This new skill tree, I don't mind it. Just something new for me to work on.

#16 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:47 PM

They backpedaled it not too long afterwards, he even said he was teasing within a few seconds.

Edited by Rouken Vordermark, 12 March 2017 - 09:49 PM.

#17 Bogus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 487 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:52 PM

C'mon guys, PR is so 2015. Just say whatever you feel like saying, preferably on Twitter, and the people will love you for it! Russ is gonna be great as the next Canadian Prime Minister amirite? Posted Image

Seriously though, I have to wonder what the people up in arms about the 'cheapskate' comment would say about someone buying a single set of gauss/PPC and shifting it between their meta-lords as needed. It's really not so different than modules from where I'm sitting. The forum warriors' obsession with getting free C-Bills to the exclusion of actual long-term balance concerns is a big reason why I find myself giving less and less of a **** about what happens on the 21st.

#18 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:31 PM

I don't get why people are all bent out of shape by the "cheapskate" comment, because it's PGI's fault for people being "cheapskates" in the first place.

What did PGI expect when they made upgrade modules so damn expensive? Of course some people are going to be cheapskates when 1 module costs several million c-bills, and clearly PGI allowed modules to be swapped around because there would've been an epic shitstorm a long time ago if modules cost as much as they do (did) and they couldn't be swapped around at all.

If PGI had made a more reasonable system in the first place, such as locking modules to specific mechs at way lower cost, then this whole thing wouldn't be an issue.

Just own up to being a "cheapskate" because PGI are the ones at fault here, not the players.

#19 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:36 PM

Well, that was obvious since his "Quadrupeds -> not real mechs" comments.

What a plonker.

#20 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 11:00 PM

Yea and so? I know I'm a cheapskate.. that is why i play IS mechs, so i can swap parts I have 30 mechs in my bays that don't even have engines!

Finally this year i started to save money for engines and modules. But honestly so what, was my choice on how to play and what to buy. I'll still have more than enough C-bills refunded to level up enough mechs for my drops decks. Then i will just go back to working on all the mechs i have yet to even play.

I used the system for flexiblity for years.. then i learned about the new trees and i just started using my Cash for extra modules. I have about 10 sets at least, with random extra's..

I actually laughed in agreement.. and thought, Yup, that's me, Or at least was till about last october.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users