60 replies to this topic

#41 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:06 AM

If people can't take the truth as he was clearly talking about in game currency and not real money he should just stop.

Stop all twitter, stop all town halls,stop all round tables and everything else they do.

#42 TLBFestus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:40 AM

View PostThe Errant, on 13 March 2017 - 03:32 AM, said:

As for Russ...yeah I was just telling some folks in TS the other day that Russ is not a public speaker. Would it help to hire a PR person? It might, but I feel like that'd be going a different direction than the 'straight from the horse's mouth' approach they seem to be trying for with these live podcasts with the devs themselves.

Oh, well I wasn't talking about someone to actually replace him, I was talking about someone to coach him. They could tell him things like;

"Well Russ, of course the staff at PGI think you are HILARIOUS, but I think it's for the best that when you think of something funny to say during a podcast that you, you just don't."

"Of course I understand how you are thinking Russ, but I it's important that with the players you need to think more, talk less"

"OH, there IS a town hall meeting scheduled that day? No, I think it's more important that your skip it and keep that appointment I made for you with the lifestyle consultant".

"Russ, I think I'm going to include Paul in on these sessions. Kill two birds with one stone sort of thing, plus it will save you money!

"Do you mind running any posts or announcements by me before you click the "post" option? Okay, thanks!"

#43 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:52 AM

View PostAlmond Brown, on 13 March 2017 - 09:27 AM, said:

Interesting. Players and Community members get to come on here, PGI's private Forums, and call them all sort of nasty names and belittle their hard work and then just assume they are expected to just eat it, but what a turn of face when the Dev may or may not speak a simple truth. At its very core, it can only be seen as grossly hypocritical really. And then the Islanders pop off their Island in droves to totally solidify the point. Glorious...

They who live in glass houses should not throw stones... Posted Image

Considering both the frequency, and the severity with which PGI constantly and consistently SCREWS S*** UP, the player base are wholly justified in calling PGI out on their faults.

Not to mention the comments by PGI, Russ in particular, that have been directed at the community on more than one occasion.

First the island kerfluffle, now calling some people cheapskates. You just don't pull that kind of stuff with your customers. Period.

I pretty much guarantee you, 90% of the fault lies with PGI, not the community, so the hate directed at PGI by the players is their fault 9 times out of 10.

View PostRakshasa, on 13 March 2017 - 09:58 AM, said:

If I had a coin for every time I said something that could be misconstrued, I'd have...well, a lot of coins. I try not to, but I'm human and fallible. That's why Russ' comments don't bother me. Pretty sure a lot of other human beings have said misjudged things in the past too, including those who have become hot and bothered by it. Never let consideration and understanding of human shortcomings get in the way of a good rant though, I guess.

The problem is this isn't the first time Russ has let his mouth run off the deep end. The island. The whole "we know what we're doing, and you should be thankful the game even exists" BS. How many times has it been know where the players have demonstrated THEY are the ones that know more about the game than PGI, warned them about stupid moves they were going to make, PGI made them anyway, and within a week or two suddenly backpedaled and fixed the stuff the players warned them about long beforehand?

View PostMonkey Lover, on 13 March 2017 - 10:06 AM, said:

If people can't take the truth as he was clearly talking about in game currency and not real money he should just stop.

Stop all twitter, stop all town halls,stop all round tables and everything else they do.

People know Russ was talking about the C-bills, because the topic was on modules and the skill trees. He called people cheapskates for not blowing hundreds of millions of C-bills on full sets of modules for every single mech in the hangar.

PGI designed the system to allow module swapping, people took advantage of that oversight, and then they get insulted for it?

As I said above, you just don't do that to your customers unless you are actively trying to piss them off and make them leave.

#44 8Ball-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 292 posts
  • LocationIndiana, US

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:26 AM

Come on guys, you know it doesn't matter. You know we are not their target audience. What they fail to realize is at this stage of the game we are their only audience.

Edited by WW8Ball, 13 March 2017 - 11:27 AM.

#45 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:38 AM

I've spent over 2 thousand dollars on this game since closed beta and I'm apparently a cheapskate.

#46 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 13 March 2017 - 12:11 PM

View PostAlan Davion, on 13 March 2017 - 10:52 AM, said:

People know Russ was talking about the C-bills, because the topic was on modules and the skill trees. He called people cheapskates for not blowing hundreds of millions of C-bills on full sets of modules for every single mech in the hangar.

PGI designed the system to allow module swapping, people took advantage of that oversight, and then they get insulted for it?

As I said above, you just don't do that to your customers unless you are actively trying to piss them off and make them leave.

Most people module swapping will be fine. I swap all the time but i also buy more than 1 module. Its the cheapskates who only have 10 modules for 200 mechs who will be hurting. I 100% agree with that Russ said, people are just trying to use it as a weapon to hurt the man because they dont like him or dont like the skill tree.

#47 Kargush

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 973 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 13 March 2017 - 12:19 PM

Do we have a timestamp for when the comment shows up in the podcast?

#48 chucklesMuch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,424 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 13 March 2017 - 12:29 PM

In my part of the world so many of the interviews have gotten so PC and homogenised that they are often very boring, full of pr/pc spin, clichés and what ever the popular buss words of the time are... but often without substance or accountability, that they can be completely pointless…

So when listening to people, like Russ, who doesn't always speak the right PR/PC/spin/buzz words or rely on rehearsed phases... I find it quite refreshing (at times entertaining and acknowledge at times he would have benefited from not saying certain things, or wording things differently). However I don’t believe its his intention to offend people and I don’t like taking offence, I'm choosing not too...

Edited by chucklesMuch, 13 March 2017 - 01:06 PM.

#49 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 13 March 2017 - 12:43 PM

View PostKargush, on 13 March 2017 - 12:19 PM, said:

Do we have a timestamp for when the comment shows up in the podcast?

hour 27 but make sure to to listen from hour 24 to 36. . Over this time he is talking about how he doesnt want to hurt the whales and doesnt want to make it hard for everyone. He all so says again he was talking about cbills not about real money.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/127783784

Edited by Monkey Lover, 13 March 2017 - 12:47 PM.

#50 Kargush

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 973 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 13 March 2017 - 12:48 PM

Thank you.

#51 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 13 March 2017 - 12:48 PM

PGI-Russ needed a PR person long before this happened.

It probably would cost too much to do it, because it would be a near-full time job to clean up the vomit.

#52 TheLuc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 746 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:06 PM

Russ doesn't need a PR person, he need failure and a big one.

Want to get heard, close the wallet and stop playing.

I`m at the point that whatever happens, I really don't care

#53 zaid

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 04:21 PM

View PostAlan Davion, on 13 March 2017 - 10:52 AM, said:

I pretty much guarantee you, 90% of the fault lies with PGI, not the community, so the hate directed at PGI by the players is their fault 9 times out of 10.

The problem is this isn't the first time Russ has let his mouth run off the deep end. The island. The whole "we know what we're doing, and you should be thankful the game even exists" BS. How many times has it been know where the players have demonstrated THEY are the ones that know more about the game than PGI, warned them about stupid moves they were going to make, PGI made them anyway, and within a week or two suddenly backpedaled and fixed the stuff the players warned them about long beforehand?

It's hard not to blame the community for some of the issues. The community complains that it wants change, and then it complains that PGI shouldn't have implemented those changes, and should revert back to the way things were. Also, a broken clock is right twice a day, so when the community lists 100 things that could go wrong, and the community is correct about 1 issue, and wrong about 99, the community will then focus on that 1 thing and say "see, told you so, you should listen to us".

If you're consciously avoiding spending Cbills, why would you take offence when it's pointed out? If you can't handle the emotional impact of your actions, then act differently. Why get mad at others for speaking the truth? I bet you'd find it offensive if they instead openly lied to you.

Being offended is just an easy way to try to control others and their behavior. Anyone can be offended over anything and it's just not possible to imagine every possible way something can be misinterpreted while having a live discussion. Being offended is nothing more than assigning your own imagined negative intent to something that was said. It's like every English assignment ever. What do you think the author meant when they said...

I'm offended that you think Russ was trying to piss me off and make me leave the game. Please take your offensive trolling elsewhere. You're making everyone quit MWO by spinning everything PGI does to portray them as an evil corporation out to ruin MWO because obviously they want to lose money and be unemployed. You've ruined your own lands, you'll not ruin mine! And the size of the text, making it so big implies I need glasses to read eat. How offensive! Pay no heed to the fact I made the text of my browser bigger because I do need glasses. You have still offended me!

See how easy it is to play the "you offended me" game? When you're offended by your own actions, you're the problem.

#54 TKSax

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,057 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 13 March 2017 - 04:25 PM

View Postzaid, on 13 March 2017 - 04:21 PM, said:

You're making everyone quit MWO by spinning everything PGI does to portray them as an evil corporation

There is no spinning needed, PGI puts its foot in its mouth all on its own. (and no I am not talking about the cheapskates comment)

#55 knight-of-ni

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 13 March 2017 - 04:37 PM

Did I hear right? Anyone who spent less than $700 is a cheapskate?

Punched some numbers the other day, and I have spent approx $500 on this game since Sept. 2012.

$500 happens to be 25 times the amount I spent on the last MW game title, and about 8 times the amount I spent on the previous most expensive game I ever purchased.

Maybe PGI could make a cheapskate forum badge. If they did, I would wear it proudly.

#56 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:18 PM

View Postknnniggett, on 13 March 2017 - 04:37 PM, said:

Did I hear right? Anyone who spent less than $700 is a cheapskate?

Punched some numbers the other day, and I have spent approx $500 on this game since Sept. 2012.

$500 happens to be 25 times the amount I spent on the last MW game title, and about 8 times the amount I spent on the previous most expensive game I ever purchased.

Maybe PGI could make a cheapskate forum badge. If they did, I would wear it proudly.

wow... you guys are incredible.. He was talking about people that didn't buy modules, and instead swapped around the same set to any mech they wanted to play.

this is about the same as "if you had a business, you didn't build that" When clearly he was talking about roads and bridges.

But ya know what i find amazing.. people that spent 500-700, 1k dollars or more.. and yet have no c-bills? (though some how all their mechs are nearly leveled? I spent 125 bucks, to get about 80 mechs, about half are completely leveled, but only about 10 fully outfited at any given time, with some extra's depending on weapon load outs. So for the person that basically just bought mech bays/paint and some heroes, even i was getting back 225m+

It's called FTP online games. just a few years ago, an online game would of cost you 180 bucks a yea, So instead of 500 bucks, you would of paid 900 for the same thing. So in other words, what i got from you was..

"i never have played an online game before" which is fine, but you are comparing apples and oranges

#57 knight-of-ni

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 14 March 2017 - 05:03 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 13 March 2017 - 07:18 PM, said:

wow... you guys are incredible.. He was talking about people that didn't buy modules, and instead swapped around the same set to any mech they wanted to play.

this is about the same as "if you had a business, you didn't build that" When clearly he was talking about roads and bridges.

But ya know what i find amazing.. people that spent 500-700, 1k dollars or more.. and yet have no c-bills? (though some how all their mechs are nearly leveled? I spent 125 bucks, to get about 80 mechs, about half are completely leveled, but only about 10 fully outfited at any given time, with some extra's depending on weapon load outs. So for the person that basically just bought mech bays/paint and some heroes, even i was getting back 225m+

It's called FTP online games. just a few years ago, an online game would of cost you 180 bucks a yea, So instead of 500 bucks, you would of paid 900 for the same thing. So in other words, what i got from you was..

"i never have played an online game before" which is fine, but you are comparing apples and oranges

Actually, what I was asking for was a clarification as to what was actually said. You appeared to have done that so thank you.

Since the thing in common is my money, I certainly can compare the cost between apples & oranges. If I previously bought a 1968 Mustang and much later buy a 2013 F150 (true story), one can easily compare the difference in cost between the two, despite their physical differences.

The only thing I was pointing out in my previous statement was the irony that, despite having spent 25 times more than I did for the last MW game title, I recently learned the $500 I have spent on this game title appears to be well below average. This was a statement about me, not a comparison of what I received from those previous game titles, nor was my statement criticism of PGI.

I also see irony in the assumption that those who spend little on this game, don't have any cbills. Last week I reached 150million cbills and bought a set of Ebon Jags just to have something to grind. I have more modules than I need, and nearly all of the 157 mechs in my bay are mastered. If there was any secret to this, it would simply be to purchase a year of premium time at 50% off each New Year's Eve day, don't go crazy buying mechs with real money, and grind, grind, grind.

#58 kesmai

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 14 March 2017 - 05:41 AM

Throwing a (mild) insult to distract from the fact that you break a promise is not a new thing and not the first time Russ did this.
When you are low, your habits seldom lead to a betterment.

#59 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 March 2017 - 06:25 AM

View PostKaeb Odellas, on 13 March 2017 - 11:38 AM, said:

I've spent over 2 thousand dollars on this game since closed beta and I'm apparently a cheapskate.

But Russ was talking about cbills and he wasn't even being serious

#60 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:09 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 14 March 2017 - 06:25 AM, said:

But Russ was talking about cbills and he wasn't even being serious

I pretty much fit what he was describing. I only have about a dozen mechs' worth of modules for my 300+ mechs. I have enough for a couple of drop decks and swap them out as necessary.

It's also a very poorly considered joke considering the frustration surrounding the upcoming skill tree.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users