General

18 replies to this topic

#1 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:54 PM

Does anyone else get this feeling sometimes when they drop in Quick Play? Especially if you're not using the pinnacle of what's left of the IS meta.

My brother loves to jokingly say over his shoulder as he plays, "We don't have any Kodiaks or Clan heavies, we're screwed!" followed by a laugh. Which isn't always the case in quick play. But he has the same feeling when he drops in something that isn't his Battlemaster.

#2 R Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:56 PM

Just don't try dropping solo in faction play. Then you are negative space. You presence on the team is a detriment and they'd actually be better off running 11.

#3 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:00 PM

No. I only get that feeling if I drop Assault, but it doesn't matter what Assault I'm piloting because I'm an all-around mediocre Assault pilot.

#4 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:00 PM

View PostKiran Yagami, on 12 March 2017 - 09:56 PM, said:

Just don't try dropping solo in faction play. Then you are negative space. You presence on the team is a detriment and they'd actually be better off running 11.

That's not very nice. I thought Kuritans were more honorable.

View PostYeonne Greene, on 12 March 2017 - 10:00 PM, said:

No. I only get that feeling if I drop Assault, but it doesn't matter what Assault I'm piloting because I'm an all-around mediocre Assault pilot.

I only have Banshees. I feel like I could only use them now if I was playing in group queue with teammates that wouldn't leave me behind.

Edited by MechaBattler, 12 March 2017 - 10:01 PM.

#5 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:03 PM

View PostMechaBattler, on 12 March 2017 - 10:00 PM, said:

I only have Banshees. I feel like I could only use them now if I was playing in group queue with teammates that wouldn't leave me behind.

What engine are you running? Getting left behind isn't my problem, even in an Atlas, it's knowing when to commit or even when I should pop my head out to poke. I'm way too accustomed to my lighter, more agile 'Mechs.

#6 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:12 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 12 March 2017 - 10:03 PM, said:

What engine are you running? Getting left behind isn't my problem, even in an Atlas, it's knowing when to commit or even when I should pop my head out to poke. I'm way too accustomed to my lighter, more agile 'Mechs.

Depends on which one. The 3E I have a build with a 350 standard to make it keep up in QP. But it's kinda gimped for firepower as far as assaults go. I haven't run the 3M since back when CW was still called CW, I ran it with an XL 380. And then there's La Malinche which also uses the XL380, but I never use it anymore either. Low mounted weapons really hinder it. Doesn't help they slashed what quirks they had down. Except La Malinche, they probably didn't think it would matter.

#7 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 12 March 2017 - 11:15 PM

I don't really have much trouble in QP, but I'm tier 3 so that means even if I'm in a bad position and end up sandwiched between a Timberwolf and a Direwolf who are both shooting at my XL Jagermech I still somehow survive long enough to blow off an ST off the Timber and strip the CT armor of the Dire and they are easily killed later on. Posted Image

Also I run into Supernovas that let me pump enough UAC/5 shells into their faces without having to twist and win. Posted Image

#8 The Errant

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 11:44 PM

Honestly in solo QP your individual combat sense and ability to team up with other pugs dictates a match far more often than what mechs you each brought. Could I do better in a Kodiak 3 or a Scorch than a Battlemaster 2C or a Banshee 3M? Yeah, probably. But that doesn't mean I'm holding my team back when I bring an IS assault. Almost all of them have at least one variant that is perfectly viable in solo QP with the right build, and there are multiple ways to a win. You can still bring a damage powerhouse (generally with less range than the Clans but advantages of its own). Alternatively, the IS assaults are tankier ton-for-ton than their clan counterparts, and you can use that to soak damage for your teammates while they clean house...granted your stats won't look as good, but a win is a win in my book.

#9 Lupis Volk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 12 March 2017 - 11:47 PM

I'm an IS FRR loyalist but i play my Clams in QP and i can tell you that i feel like less of a waste of a slot when in a Clam mech. But i love my IS mechs more.

#10 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 12 March 2017 - 11:52 PM

Drop light, people won't expect a lot from you since you don't really take that much space and weight. I mean yeah 800 damage on an urbanmech is godlike, really puts a smile in someone's face, but with the Urbie's speed and light armor in it's speed bracket (which is around medium and heavies, without the same level of protection), people won't generally blame you if you got instagibbed early, and dealt around 200 - 300 damage only. Mostly because there's not a lot to expect on a 30-tonner, and the Urbanmech at that, after all it's not like you wasted an assault-mech slot on charlie, or a 100-tonner as a potato-lurmboat.

They could blame you for taking an urbie in the first place, when you could have took something heavier and/or better, but considering that you didn't, making way for someone else to bring something heavier.

Mean while, bask on the 881-damage Urbie.

Spoiler

Edited by The6thMessenger, 12 March 2017 - 11:55 PM.

#11 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 12 March 2017 - 11:54 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 12 March 2017 - 11:52 PM, said:

Drop light, people won't expect a lot from you since you don't really take that much space and weight. I mean yeah 800 damage on an urbanmech is godlike, really puts a smile in someone's face, but with the Urbie's speed and light armor in it's speed bracket (which is around medium and heavies, without the same level of protection), people won't generally blame you if you got instagibbed early, and dealt around 200 - 300 damage only. Mostly because there's not a lot to expect on a 30-tonner, and the Urbanmech at that, after all it's not like you wasted an assault-mech slot on charlie, or a 100-tonner as a potato-lurmboat.

They could blame you for taking an urbie in the first place, when you could have took something heavier and/or better, but considering that you didn't, making way for someone else to bring something heavier.

Mean while, bask on the 879-damage Urbie.

Spoiler

Nothing says evil like a lolcust back coring Atlas's.

#12 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 13 March 2017 - 12:01 AM

View PostLupis Volk, on 12 March 2017 - 11:54 PM, said:

Nothing says evil like a lolcust back coring Atlas's.

Lololololol. I hate locusts so god ******* damn much, but that's hilarious and quite a feat (or luck/stupidty on Atlas' part).

Still, it's better to do 100 damage in a locust then die, than to do 100 damage on an atlas and die.

"I was a pilot like you. Then I took a laser to my engine."

Hey Restos! Do you have a Skyrim-esque memes but with MWO?

Edited by The6thMessenger, 13 March 2017 - 12:02 AM.

#13 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 13 March 2017 - 12:38 AM

View PostKiran Yagami, on 12 March 2017 - 09:56 PM, said:

That is only because people in groups are unsociable ******** outside of their group. It is a wonder how some unit recruit when they are so unsociable. Ever think about recruiting a solo player that shows interest in FW? Yeah they may not be good at FW when they drop solo, but maybe if you talked to them and recruited them you could make them worth something.

But hey what do I know, maybe even people in groups and units are worthless as well.

#14 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 13 March 2017 - 12:52 AM

I generally prefer my orange HUD mechs over clan machines. The big exception being the Mad Dog, which is the perfect mech for being an ***hole. Six missile hard points, plus energy backup? Going over 80kph? With decent armor? Sure, I'll take that.

#15 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 12:55 AM

View PostEscef, on 13 March 2017 - 12:52 AM, said:

I generally prefer my orange HUD mechs over clan machines. The big exception being the Mad Dog, which is the perfect mech for being an ***hole. Six missile hard points, plus energy backup? Going over 80kph? With decent armor? Sure, I'll take that.

Something smells like a streak dog ... and trolling light mechs.

#16 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:16 AM

View PostClownwarlord, on 13 March 2017 - 12:55 AM, said:

Something smells like a streak dog ... and trolling light mechs.

Honestly, the StreakDog is probably my least favorite Mad Dog, it's not very effective. I'll do splat with SRM36 or chain multiple LRM5s. I even have a silly thing with a UAC20 and 3*MPL. Streakdogs, though? Most light players are smart enough to either avoid you or engage from out of range. Which leaves you trying to sandblast your way through mechs that can drill out your CT while you reacquire missile lock after torso twisting.

#17 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:24 AM

View PostEscef, on 13 March 2017 - 01:16 AM, said:

Honestly, the StreakDog is probably my least favorite Mad Dog, it's not very effective. I'll do splat with SRM36 or chain multiple LRM5s. I even have a silly thing with a UAC20 and 3*MPL. Streakdogs, though? Most light players are smart enough to either avoid you or engage from out of range. Which leaves you trying to sandblast your way through mechs that can drill out your CT while you reacquire missile lock after torso twisting.

You know you could use a tag, disable arm lock, and then while torso twisting away keep your tag on target, thus allowing you to fire at some targets on your side while looking away.

#18 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:32 AM

View PostClownwarlord, on 13 March 2017 - 01:24 AM, said:

You know you could use a tag, disable arm lock, and then while torso twisting away keep your tag on target, thus allowing you to fire at some targets on your side while looking away.

I never use arm lock. EVER.

Another problem with Streakdogs is that they are ludicrously hot and tonnage hungry. I've stripped armor off my Streakdog's arms, legs, and head, and still don't have ANYWHERE near adequate cooling or ammo. Even if I stripped the backup guns (4*ERML) I wouldn't have enough ammo or cooling, and still have stripped armor. I dislike saying it, but unless you go for 4-packs, Streakdogs kinda suck.

Edited by Escef, 13 March 2017 - 01:33 AM.

#19 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:36 AM

View PostEscef, on 13 March 2017 - 01:32 AM, said:

I never use arm lock. EVER.

Another problem with Streakdogs is that they are ludicrously hot and tonnage hungry. I've stripped armor off my Streakdog's arms, legs, and head, and still don't have ANYWHERE near adequate cooling or ammo. Even if I stripped the backup guns (4*ERML) I wouldn't have enough ammo or cooling, and still have stripped armor. I dislike saying it, but unless you go for 4-packs, Streakdogs kinda suck.

Well I can agree with that, they are ammo hungry and hot. even when you fir them 3 x 3 instead of full alpha 6 still hot.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users