Skill Tree Status Update

369 replies to this topic

#341 UrbanTarget

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 116 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:20 AM

View PostAramuside, on 22 March 2017 - 05:13 AM, said:

50,000 c-bills for a mechbay? I assume that was a mistake?

lol yes 50 Mill

#342 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:29 AM

I already emailed & PM'ed this to PGI staff...so lord knows if they'll actually think about implementing it or not... but I think the skill nodes should be unlocked via either of three options. Straight XP & zero cbills, reduced XP & cbills, or straight MC. Thus the cash rich / time poor whales can race to unlock nodes via MC micro-transactions, the folks with module refunds have an option for all their cbills and GXP refunds, and then the group Russ referred to have an option also. It also gives new players the same three methods to unlock nodes.

Also it helps if folks can wrap their logic centers around the fact that "mastered" under the existing system meant nothing in terms of skills other than ONE bonus module slot unlocked. The skills as far as mech efficiency/quirk bonuses actually maxed out when you finished the Elite table, and one of those did nothing anyway (the convergence one) other than acted as a 3000 XP sink of uselessness. Therefore its pointless under a new skill tree which has no module slots, to claim you won't be able to instantly re-master X number of your existing mastered mechs, because its an apples and oranges comparison. They may have called the 91 node unlock "mastered" under the new skill tree on the PTS, but would it help if they changed it to "maxed" or "maximized" or some other word so as to stop confusing folks who insist on thinking its an apples to apples thing ?

Myself, I'm coming up on 15 months... own 225 mechs, of which only 18 (including the banshee I got friday from a loot bag, and the six assassins I got yesterday) aren't yet elited. It matters not to me that of the other 207 I might not be able to instantly max the nodes of more than half of them from my refunded Xp and cbills, as 80% of the haven't been played in months. As part of the St Paddy's day weekend, I went thru my garage driving green painted mechs.... and for example, took out a couple cyclops I haven't used since the leaderboard event after I got them six months ago. So why does it matter that they might only have the XP on them to unlock fifty or sixty nodes... if they're not being played with...it doesn't really matter what skills they have or don't have. I found especially amusing all those complaining about 91 mouse clicks per mech... oh my... and yet you'll hit the keyboard thousands of times to type out your messages and that's perfectly reasonable and done without giving it any thought at all ?

#343 invernomuto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:48 AM

According to Russ, May patch is the new tentative date for ST.

#344 Chris Puetz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 332 posts
  • LocationMechhangar 2, Tamar-City

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:49 AM

View PostMovinTarget, on 22 March 2017 - 04:25 AM, said:

I suggested something similar as "legacy skill points" so that they could be distributed across copies of a variant, but no more than the max amount... point being to not reward players that have copies (i.e. 2x Oxides) but only for the effort of leveling the chassis.

The only question is wtf would we do with all those cbills lol...

We need new cbill sinks...

Suggestions:
Mechbays for 50k cbills
75 million for colors?

Do we realy?
CIVIL WAR is coming close after ST with new nice Toys that we could buy!

#345 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:43 AM

View Postinvernomuto, on 22 March 2017 - 08:48 AM, said:

It might be better if PGI holds off the New Skill Tree until early next year, in order to balance in the Civil War Expansion Equipment, instead of trying to 'spaghetti' it in after the New Skill Tree. If there's one thing I've noticed, PGI does NOT do 'spaghetti' very well. :(

~Mr. D. V. "Every time PGI tries 'spaghetti', things just get worse. Q1 of 2018 would be better for New Skill Tree." Devnull

#346 Argent Kaiser

• Pip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:49 AM

Thank you for the postponement. While its still premature at this point with this one act of consideration for your player base I feel a little more at ease with MWO and PGI at the moment. While I am by no means a whale I have spent far more money on this game than I ever thought I would and have begun to regret it. The majority of the money I spent was on clan mech packs and clan mech pre-orders, and with what I perceived to be heavy handed balancing attempts that have always seemed to favor IS mechs and players. I had reached a point where I was unwilling to spend anymore of my money on content that had I been patient I would have been able to purchase with in game currency. While this is a long step from any true fixes it just at least seem to indicate a more in-depth level of thought and communication with the players than I typically see. I have some hopes that with the new equipment content coming out in the near future we might get to see some "balances" rolled back and drop deck tonnage totals equalized once more.

#347 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:22 PM

The skill tree needs to come before the new tech, not afterwards.

#348 K O N D O

• PipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Silver Champ
  • CS 2020 Silver Champ
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:59 PM

View PostDee Eight, on 22 March 2017 - 12:22 PM, said:

The skill tree needs to come before the new tech, not afterwards.

100% agree ^^

#349 Garegaupa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 208 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:49 PM

View Postinvernomuto, on 22 March 2017 - 08:48 AM, said:

Sounds good! Posted Image Where did you pick that up?

#350 invernomuto

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:54 PM

View PostGaregaupa, on 22 March 2017 - 01:49 PM, said:

Sounds good! Posted Image Where did you pick that up?

Russ on Twitter

#351 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 07:42 AM

View PostMovinTarget, on 21 March 2017 - 04:16 AM, said:

D V, not trolling you, however there are lots of reasons why people would consider firing lrms at 850m+ to be less effective...

Mind you that just because i am list the reasons is not an attack on anyone in particularly, just reasons...

1. Chance to hit is low due to dependency on others, or faster targets moving out of range.
2. Waste of ammo due to reason #1
3. Giving away location, possibly compromising organized maneuvers... sometimes the only way for brawlers stuck on Polar Highlands have a hope of contributing is to flank in the trenches, unseen, for example. Sure there are all kinds of ways positioning can be compromised, but when someone does it for something as silly as wanting to try to hit a target almost 1k meters away that they prolly won't hit...

I'm high tier 2, close to becoming tier 1 (god save me), and I use LRMs at long range effectively on a regular basis. I know MANY tier 1-2 people will say I must be nuts, but hear me out. At long range (700+ meters) I am only ever using LRM5s to reduce the amount of ammo used, and I am not firing to do damage. I am firing a couple LRM5 volleys at as many opponents as I can get locks on to force them to go to cover so my team can advance on them. The exception to this is very open maps, especially if I am in group queue and have a buddy NARCing them in the butt. I almost never run LRM heavy mechs unless I am running in a group with a friend to run TAG/NARC, even though both my LRM boats carry their own TAG as well.

Sometimes the tactical play for position is more important than doing the extra damage.

#352 Ranger Aodhan

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 56 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 26 March 2017 - 08:45 PM

What's going to happen to the supply cashe rewards that were modules?

#353 ReconRod

• Pip
  • The Warrior
  • The Warrior
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:20 PM

I'm so glad to hear this. I stop playing with anticipation of this patch. I knew it was going to affect all the time I've put in to master 25 mechs. ( on account one) 10 on( account two) with all mod's ,lol I was so worried but now that you guys see this concern . I'll be on tomorrow thanks I needed to know this.

#354 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:28 PM

View PostRanger Aodhan, on 26 March 2017 - 08:45 PM, said:

What's going to happen to the supply cashe rewards that were modules?

They will replace them with the equivalent in cbills *or* c-tease us with something else we'll probably never win...

...nah, I'm not salty about never winning anything good...

...not.at.all...

#355 Marius Evander

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 11:37 PM

View PostMovinTarget, on 26 March 2017 - 09:28 PM, said:

They will replace them with the equivalent in cbills *or* c-tease us with something else we'll probably never win...

...not.at.all...

How do you not know / cant reasearch during skill tree pts they were replaced with decals............

#356 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 09:47 AM

View PostMovinTarget, on 26 March 2017 - 09:28 PM, said:

...not.at.all...

I've won every type of reward from the caches EXCEPT mechs so far. My module take alone is worth about 50 million in refunds. I have hit both the 500 and 1000 MC rewards once each also and they're considered "ultra rares" so I don't really miss getting a mech. My current cache stockpile has two with Vindicator AA's in them so with my luck THAT's going to be the free mech I get.

Edit: opening my stack of 11 caches...

#1 Mech bay
#2 NVA-B Right torso
#3 Small Laser x 2
#4 C-ER-PPC
#5 250,000 C-bills
#6 100,000 C-bills
#7 Medium Pulse laser x 2
#8 Radar Deprivation Module
#9 SRM6 x 4
#10 NVA-A Right arm
#11 100,000 C-bills

So...2 rares, 1 uncommon, 8 commons. Cost to open 275MC of keys... MC value of the mech bay 300... so I'm ahead 25MC right there.The module is worth 6 million refund. 450k in cbills. The nova pods would normally cost 229,465 each and are useful as I do own novas. The PPC costs 600k. The other weapons cost a combined 925k and they're all ones I do use quite regularly in builds. No mechs though again and five of the caches had the mech teaser.

Edited by Dee Eight, 27 March 2017 - 10:12 AM.

#357 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 09:52 AM

Can we have it now?

#358 Insanity09

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 551 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:17 PM

Couple thoughts.
Hero/champion mechs should possibly have a higher cap on XP/unlocks, whatever it ends up being.

The idea of allowing role specification I very much like, but I would suggest that any mech be able to unlock anything, just that it be far more expensive for some mechs. (Want better sensors and radar dep (or equiv) for your archer? fine, but you'll pay through the nose, and thus restrict your purchases/unlocks elsewhere) So mechs intended as tanks can be unlock durability related stuff more easily while paying more for mobility, etc.

So1ahma's suggested tree has many good points, there are a few that quirk an eyebrow. The firepower thing in particular is a big question mark for me. While I like the (theoretical) benefits of not being a pure boat, I'm concerned that it will favor heavier mechs too much. Unless there is also a change to the rewards system, so that being a less firepower-y capable light/medium mech won't be punished (conversely, so that support/scout/etc activities are rewarded better), it seems So1's proposed system might dig the wrong hole deeper in that area.

More I cannot say without better information.

Edited by Insanity09, 30 March 2017 - 05:17 PM.

#359 Willothius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 187 posts
  • LocationThe Great Mechbay In The Sky.

Posted 08 April 2017 - 06:16 AM

So.. still no release date for this then??

#360 TWLT S

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 06:23 AM

I hope they dont waste further time on the skilltree. Out of all the things that are currently under development (or not anymore), the last thing I would chose is the skilltree. I cant see any reason, why we would need this.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users