Civil War: Clan Mechs Not Worth It Anymore?

156 replies to this topic

#41 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:48 AM

View PostClownwarlord, on 15 March 2017 - 12:44 AM, said:

New tech most likely will not make it into game if there is a PTS and the community gets to respond.

So wanna buy a mech pack?

Or they might just do what they did with clan wave 1. Have the pts everyone says they're over powered and they release them anyway haha. My dire was so op :P

#42 Bluttrunken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 830 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:48 AM

I don't know why nobody seems to be excited about the prospect to put Heavy MG's on 130kph+ mechs.

#43 I_AM_ZUUL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationIsle of Skye (Freeing Skye from the Steiner usurpers)

Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:51 AM

View Postkapusta11, on 15 March 2017 - 12:20 AM, said:

Heavy Gauss - short range and requires STD engine
Heavy PPC - I have a hard time imagining PGI making them do 15 damage and/or letting you fire 2 at the same time
Light Gauss - still heavy, laughable damage unless PGI buff it to at least 12
RAC5 - everyone is freaking out about how OP they might be so PGI will probably nerf the **** out of 'em.
LFE - still heavier than cXL
MRMs - will most likely be too slow to be used effectively at their optimal range which is not short range
SN PPC - hot brawling weapon, good luck with that
Stealth armor competes with Endo steel on anything heavier than light
Light Ferro Fibrous armor is a joke

On the other hand, at least clans got Heavy Large Laser which syncs better with ERML (range wise) and weight 2 tons less than LPL.

Also Clans got another mech that can carry Dual Gauss Dual PPC loadout AND it's all in high mounts AND mech itself won't die to ST loss AND it's relatively fast AND Gauss rifles won't explode because they're in the arms.

What did IS got? Annihilator. Yeah.

How dare you bring up reality in this fantasy crybaby thread!!!!!!!!!! just rude

#44 Lances107

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 291 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:53 AM

All I want is our 10 tons back on the clan invasion drop deck, now that the IS just got a whole load of stuff. Or better yet make the drop decks even for both sides. Unless the clan gets 10 or more tons in there invasion drop deck, the cougar is useless. I might be able to make it work with a heavy weapons payload during an invasion but thats about it. As a back up after dropping two assaults. My point is the IS got some nice stuff ok cool, not against it. There is no longer any excuse or reason to gimp the Clan drop deck.

#45 I_AM_ZUUL

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationIsle of Skye (Freeing Skye from the Steiner usurpers)

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:00 AM

View PostLances107, on 15 March 2017 - 12:53 AM, said:

All I want is our 10 tons back on the clan invasion drop deck, now that the IS just got a whole load of stuff. Or better yet make the drop decks even for both sides. Unless the clan gets 10 or more tons in there invasion drop deck, the cougar is useless. I might be able to make it work with a heavy weapons payload during an invasion but thats about it. As a back up after dropping two assaults. My point is the IS got some nice stuff ok cool, not against it. There is no longer any excuse or reason to gimp the Clan drop deck.

except that Clan mechs are still SUPERIOR in every imaginable way... little things like whining about 10 tons when you are already playing easy mode mechs is definitely not impressive

#46 Duke Nedo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:05 AM

View Postkapusta11, on 15 March 2017 - 12:20 AM, said:

Heavy Gauss - short range and requires STD engine
Heavy PPC - I have a hard time imagining PGI making them do 15 damage and/or letting you fire 2 at the same time
Light Gauss - still heavy, laughable damage unless PGI buff it to at least 12
RAC5 - everyone is freaking out about how OP they might be so PGI will probably nerf the **** out of 'em.
LFE - still heavier than cXL
MRMs - will most likely be too slow to be used effectively at their optimal range which is not short range
SN PPC - hot brawling weapon, good luck with that
Stealth armor competes with Endo steel on anything heavier than light
Light Ferro Fibrous armor is a joke

On the other hand, at least clans got Heavy Large Laser which syncs better with ERML (range wise) and weight 2 tons less than LPL.

Also Clans got another mech that can carry Dual Gauss Dual PPC loadout AND it's all in high mounts AND mech itself won't die to ST loss AND it's relatively fast AND Gauss rifles won't explode because they're in the arms.

What did IS got? Annihilator. Yeah.

+1

The MCIIc will be brutal. The annihilator will have a large distance between the stalk-head and the arms. Looks kind of fun though but it won't challenge the MCIIc.

Depending on which stats PGI uses on the IS ER lasers and old standard lasers (I sure hope they are tweaked together), they could become useful to close the range disadvantage a bit. Looking forward to RAC and stealth armor since these could add some depth/fun to the game play. I doubt they'll be allowed to be OP. PGI doesn't allow IS to be OP, history has taught us that.

Like many said, there are so many tonnage/space-sinks that hurts all IS tech so clans will earn 4-5 tons per engine (down from 8-10 tons), 2 tons per waffle, 1 ton per ppc/LPL, 1 slot per DHS, 7 slots per endo or ff, 1 slot per ppc etc, etc. The LFE will help a few mechs that are not really competitive today so close the speed gap mainly. Largest impact I guess will be on mediums where the tonnage penalty is low, they will gain a extra 3-4 tons to spend on weapons, cooling or speed, especially if this savings bumps it up over a threshold where it can mount more DHS in the engine and perhaps enable FF etc. In some cases this should free up extra tonnage. However, it will always be worse than cXL, always.

I just hope PGI balances the old stuff together with the new stuff. STD engines will need buffs (both clan and IS), and IS XLs will also need some love relative to cXLs that are simply better in every way. Perhaps then there will be room to reduce the quirks a bit. Remember than clans are well ahead in the arms race already so preemptive nerfs to IS should be very conservative until we are sure that the IS power level has caught up with the clans power level. IS being UP should not be the norm here.

Edited by Duke Nedo, 15 March 2017 - 01:07 AM.

#47 Sumdumbum

• PipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:12 AM

Im just sad clan doesnt get MRMs.

#48 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:15 AM

View PostKhobai, on 14 March 2017 - 11:19 PM, said:

except you couldnt fit any of the new weapons like HPPC (10 friggin tons) without LFE

hence why LFE is a game changer. it enables you to use those weapons in the first place.

without the weight savings from LFE youd have to sacrifice a ridiculous amount of speed to fit HPPCs on most IS heavies.

So yeah LFE is a huge game changer. I stand by what I said.

While your statement is correct in one sense it is not correct in the full sense. Clans have always had the LFE with better weight savings, if PGI had done a proper job of balance in the first place, IS XL would have had the same advantage.

Yes the LFE is a change, it is not going to be that much of a change due to only 25% weight savings. It is not going to change too many builds cause you still need to sacrifice some speed or some cooling or some damage, only slightly better at the most.

#49 Hades Trooper

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,461 posts
  • LocationWillow Tree, NSW

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:28 AM

View PostCarl Vickers, on 14 March 2017 - 07:48 PM, said:

Erm, most of the stuff IS are getting Clans already have, makes it pretty close to even methinks.

In what dream world are you living in?

the light Engine better work the same as clan XL engines do. lose a side torso and your not dead but it better suffer heat penalty and speed reduction otherwise it's biased against the clans as it would be losing 2 engine crits just like the clan engine does.

Are IS ultra ac's also going to be burst fire too? or we going to see IS ultra 20's needing to put 2 projectiles on target for 40 damage where is the clans have to put 8 on target.

With the new weapons and stuff for the IS i think we should talk about clan locked equipment. when are the clan engine sizes going to be unlocked as well as unlocking the following, jump jets, armour type, internal type, heatsinks, and secondary quipment such as active probs and such.

It's all nice to try and balance weapons to weapons but when clans suffer extra ghost heat, lower limits of weapons before ghost heat and pairing of weapons for example, clan smal and medium lasers being bundled together, clan lrms of all types being bundled together for ghost heat issues.

you can't just keep looking at this compared to this, you need to look at it as a whole when working on balance but thats something PGI doesn't understand.

All i can say is thank you PGI it's been some time i've been weighing up the value of buying clan mechs and being someone who loves his clans over IS this will be the final straw that breaks my wallet.

Not 1 cent more till they balance the game instead of being constantly biased towards IS.

#50 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:33 AM

View PostHades Trooper, on 15 March 2017 - 01:28 AM, said:

Whine Fest

I live in a world where sides can be balanced but different, not one side that has the advantage and cry's like babies when they start losing said advantages.

I played Clans for 2 years straight, merc for the last year playing both sides and IS is harder than Clans. If you cant see that you are blind or just got blinders on.

#51 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:37 AM

sexy clanner chickenlegs > IS tech catchup
All you do is guesstimation, because we know nowthing about the values for these guns (except tonnage). Or did I missed the part were PGI showed them?

but what may need a look at are the omnimechs, because newtech and battlemech customisation will put many of them in an inferior state compared to their fully customizeable companions. That issue started already with the clan battlemechs appearing, btu will get worse and worse.

Omnimech advantage is gone with the skilltree (which mostlikely will return in future) because then you cannot utilise hardpoint swapping and laodouts without skill tree changes.
Omnimechs advantage only applies IF they have valid omnipods to choose from and a battlemech has inferior hardpoints. But lore never accounted this as a balancing factor, and so we have battlemehcs with perfect hardpoint compositions as well as omnimechs with crappy ones.

Edited by Lily from animove, 15 March 2017 - 01:40 AM.

#52 Hades Trooper

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:46 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 14 March 2017 - 07:51 PM, said:

Since Clans currently, and aside from the few instances that stupid levels of quirk OP an IS chassis, dominate the top tiers, and have pretty consistently won the FW events, (IIRC).... um, what are you talking about?

This is letting the IS do a small amount of catch up. and recall, if the SkilL Tree ever gets pushed past all the QQ? Say buh bye to your IS mechs uber offensive Quirks. Making these even more needed.

I also play both sides. And to be blunt, when I hear Clanners or IS whine that there is some agenda against one side of the other, I feel a strong urge to slap the hell out of them.

Clans are still stronger, at the top, than the IS, even with this. Tell me... what wonder gun did the IS just get that negates the KDK3 or Night Gyr?

MRM's, ultra ac's that fire projectiles, the list goes on, if you think IS is weaker than Clan than you really don't understand balance.

Are the IS light engines going to suffer the same effects as clans do when there xl engines lose a side torso?

#53 brroleg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 245 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:49 AM

Looked at Sarna

The Hyper-Assault Gauss Rifle is a variation on the Gauss Rifle developed by Clan Hell's Horses in 3068. Hoping to stay ahead of the increasing technological curve, they apparently used similar design principles to the Lyran Alliance's Heavy Gauss Rifle. To compensate for its drawbacks, however, Horse scientists used a series of capacitors and launching tubes to fire a multitude of smaller-caliber Gauss slugs. The resulting high rate of fire, akin almost to Rotary Autocannons, made these weapons very effective against battle armor and Combat Vehicles.[4]

So HAG is basically clans analog of RAC. So why pgi dont give clans HAGs alongside with IS getting RACs?

Edited by brroleg, 15 March 2017 - 01:50 AM.

#54 Oldbob10025

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 831 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOldfolks home

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:50 AM

Clanners I have some cheese if you need it... No more easy button for you anymore and you will have to have some amount of skill now..

#55 Hades Trooper

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:53 AM

View PostI_AM_ZUUL, on 14 March 2017 - 08:18 PM, said:

the Hunchback-IIC can already do TWO UAC20s... "balanced"

what drugs are you on? to mount 2 ultra 20's is has almost no ammo small engine and heat up like a ************

such ill informed pilots

#56 brroleg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 245 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:55 AM

View Postbrroleg, on 15 March 2017 - 01:49 AM, said:

Looked at Sarna

So HAG is basically clans analog of RAC. So why pgi dont give clans HAGs alongside with IS getting RACs?

Also HAGs can be balanced in way that since they built on gauss technology - they will need to be charged same way as gauss before shooting stream of bullets. While RACs also have spin-up time, but they actually start shooting the moment you press button, only at slow rate of fire until they rank up speed. So HAGs - does not shoot immediately when you press button, RACs - shoot immediately when you press button.

#57 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:56 AM

View PostHades Trooper, on 15 March 2017 - 01:53 AM, said:

what drugs are you on? to mount 2 ultra 20's is has almost no ammo small engine and heat up like a ************

such ill informed pilots

Posted Image

#58 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:15 AM

View PostCarl Vickers, on 14 March 2017 - 07:48 PM, said:

Erm, most of the stuff IS are getting Clans already have, makes it pretty close to even methinks.

Yeah.. the above quote is here because of a common misconception.. yeah, the clans have ER lasers, LBX, and SSRM's.. great..

But no, the clans don't have snub nose ppc's, light and heavy gauss, the overpowered (at least they used to be in MW4 Mercs) rotary AC's, nor MRM's...

IS will be getting all that.. and once again, in my opinion, the balance will be broken, this time, heavily favoring the IS..

So here's what I think will happen... the skill tree will hit, but, to re-balance the field, it will be the clan mechs that will be getting insane structure and range quirks..

And once again.. the absurdity continues..

The only solution would be crosstech.. which I would personally detest.. but it may soon become necessary..

I hate that..

The fact of the matter is, if the IS mechs keep their quirks / inherent bonuses that make them "up to par" with current clan mechs, AND get this new tech, they will clearly be superior.. So some heavy balancing will need to get done...

And knowing PGI, they will not do a very good job of it.. so.. yeah.. I'm kinda worried..

#59 visionGT4

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 313 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:19 AM

View PostHades Trooper, on 15 March 2017 - 01:28 AM, said:

entitled rant about stuff

I think we have a contender for a new king of the 12 year olds.

the king is dead! All hail the king!

#60 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:19 AM

Is OP serious? Especially when the Clans are getting arguably the most meta mech to date--the Mad Cat II?

Posted Image

View PostVellron2005, on 15 March 2017 - 02:15 AM, said:

But no, the clans don't have snub nose ppc's, light and heavy gauss, the overpowered (at least they used to be in MW4 Mercs) rotary AC's, nor MRM's...

IS will be getting all that.. and once again, in my opinion, the balance will be broken, this time, heavily favoring the IS..

Nope. If you have seen the TT stats from Sarna, you would know that all the new fancy IS techs are either sidegrade or inferior tech compared to Clan tech, because they have just as many flaws as improvements. Only RACs have the potential to be OP, the rest are either equal or inferior to what the Clans have right now.

Edited by El Bandito, 15 March 2017 - 02:23 AM.

45 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 45 guests, 0 anonymous users