Civil War: Clan Mechs Not Worth It Anymore?

156 replies to this topic

#81 Oberost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:39 AM

View PostKhobai, on 15 March 2017 - 06:33 AM, said:

but it likely wont have any penalties so LFE is still arguably better than Clan XL

clan players would gladly pay extra tonnage to not have penalties but arnt given that choice

Sorry, but this bull crap.

You have the option of using a STD engine in your Clan battlemechs to avoid the XL penalties. Have you seen many STD Clan battlemechs?

#82 Duke Nedo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:41 AM

Seriously though, PGI will NEED to buff both the is and clan STD engines, and adjust the IS XL engine so that it is as good as the clan XL engine, without obsoleting the LFE. All engines really need an overhaul when the LFE drops, I hope they make the effort to implement this properly.

#83 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:42 AM

Sorry, but this bull crap.

You have the option of using a STD engine in your Clan battlemechs to avoid the XL penalties. Have you seen many STD Clan battlemechs?

omnimechs get no such option. you are wrong. period.

clan battlemechs will be fine but ive been saying all along that its omnimechs that will need a buff.

LFE for IS makes omnimechs obsolete unless they get some kindve buff.

Edited by Khobai, 15 March 2017 - 06:44 AM.

#84 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:48 AM

View PostOberost, on 15 March 2017 - 06:39 AM, said:

About half of my Supernovas use STD engines.

#85 Oberost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:51 AM

View PostNRP, on 15 March 2017 - 06:48 AM, said:

About half of my Supernovas use STD engines.

Because you have a low engine cap in a laser vomit mech which doesn't need so much free tonnage. Are you doing the same frequently in a high engine cap Clan battlemech?

#86 Oberost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:57 AM

View PostKhobai, on 15 March 2017 - 06:42 AM, said:

omnimechs get no such option. you are wrong. period.

clan battlemechs will be fine but ive been saying all along that its omnimechs that will need a buff.

LFE for IS makes omnimechs obsolete unless they get some kindve buff.

False, but if repeating it makes yourself to feel better, go ahead.

The LFE will make the Timber obsolete? False
The Hellbringer too? False
The Ebon Jaguar will be worse because the LFE? False again...

You can argue that some omnimechs which are not the chosen ones won't be competitive without quirks or whatever, and this is true, but this is not what you're saying.

#87 Lances107

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 291 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:58 AM

View PostI_AM_ZUUL, on 15 March 2017 - 01:00 AM, said:

except that Clan mechs are still SUPERIOR in every imaginable way... little things like whining about 10 tons when you are already playing easy mode mechs is definitely not impressive

Funny how I hear this all the time but during any time of game play things end up on a more even footing. This statement reminds me of the launch of the Kodiak. Every clan pilot was telling you IS guys to just target the right/left torso and the kodiak crumbles. The info was correct but you refused to hear or use it. Instead you bitched and moaned about the kodiak. Clan mechs are not superior in every imaginable way, that is a cart blanket general statement. There is no such thing as a easy mode mech. The worse player could get into the most considered op mech, and he would still do terrible. I suggest you focus on playing the game and learning these basic truths about mechwarrior online. Asking for 10 tons to make the cougar viable is not asking for the moon.

#88 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:53 AM

View PostKhobai, on 15 March 2017 - 05:31 AM, said:

except a lighter engine means you can take a bigger rated engine

and a bigger rated engine means you can fit more internal DHS so I dont really know what youre talking about

again LFE is huge for IS. And clans should really get XXL to help balance it out.

XL is lighter than LFE >> get bigger engine with more internal sinks and greater run speed for given amount of firepower than with LFE.

What part of this progression escapes you?

I don't deny that LFE is major, but at best it only partially bridges the gap.

#89 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:57 AM

cXL > LFE=XL (situationally) > STD

Its pretty simple. Anyone trying to say LFE is actually better than a cXL is wrong. Period.

#90 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:58 AM

View PostCK16, on 14 March 2017 - 08:20 PM, said:

Not try to say the Uziel will be amazing, however....The thing can pack on 8 JJ's and have a rather large engine....PPC poptart anyone? She won't be your up front brawler like the Griffin, Hunchback, and Centy. Or the good gun boat as the Bushwacker and Shadowhawk...The Uziel is the IS Shadowcat/Hunchback IIC.

Anni though, yea not sure what to think there.

Cougar, it will be just ok very middle of the pack but not to great though....

Mad Cat Mk II, is it any surprise it will be the best 90 tonner, and probably best PPC Gauss assault, yes IMO might be better than the KDK 3 at this game.

Sorry brother, but trying to put lipstick on a pig, don't make it less a pig.

Take a good, long look at the hitboxes. It may be a tad better than the VND because of higher weapons, but thanks to low cockpit, you don't even get that moment to adjust aim... just stick that horrible bullet catcher Missle Rack and Shoulders u in the air saying "shoot me".

Also, considering the overall abomination poptarting makes the game into, anything whose sole saving grace is "poptarting"? Not a great addition.

And the Annihilated.... er Annihi-later? Lolololol. I'll probably buy one with Cbills, but... bad bad bad bad bad.

#91 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:07 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 15 March 2017 - 07:58 AM, said:

And the Annihilated.... er Annihi-later? Lolololol. I'll probably buy one with Cbills, but... bad bad bad bad bad.

I'm not SUPER excited about the Annihilator, but I'm still probably going to buy it because I like assaults.

#92 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:12 AM

View PostKhobai, on 15 March 2017 - 06:42 AM, said:

you are wrong. period.

The irony is that this is coming from someone that has not played in several months

#93 Acehilator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 667 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:17 AM

Another Clanner whine thread already?

Please stop before you embarass yourselves further, thank you.

#94 visionGT4

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 313 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:23 AM

These threads are great! Clanners behaving like entitled 12 year olds who think the world owes them something.

Much lol to be had

#95 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:25 AM

Civil war mechs are three crap ones and a Mad Cat II

As to clan mechs dead I have to LoL

#96 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,770 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:11 AM

View PostSnazzy Dragon, on 15 March 2017 - 08:12 AM, said:

The irony is that this is coming from someone that has not played in several months

Even if he had he would still probably be spouting crap, because its Khobai, that's what he does.

#97 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:19 AM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 15 March 2017 - 09:11 AM, said:

Even if he had he would still probably be spouting crap, because its Khobai, that's what he does.

Amen. Sometimes I thought I was the only one who realized that.

Full of crap since at least Open Beta.... and still going... for reasons only he can explain.

(Seriously... at what point does continuing to hang around a game you don't play, etc make sense? Psycho exGF much?)

#98 AphexTwin11

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 398 posts
  • LocationLooking right through you, with somniferous almond eyes

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:31 AM

View PostHoss Chimp, on 14 March 2017 - 07:46 PM, said:

So after reading the patch notes, I'm gonna have to call it and say it is not worth investing in any more clan mechs until we see how the new weapons actually impact the sides.

While I think there will be some cool things that can be done with the new weapons on the clan side, the new Inner sphere goodies are just way too awesome. I feel IS is going to roll through the clans until PGI nerfs the weapons to a point where there was no point in introducing them to begin with.

If they included just a couple more quality goodies to the clans, it would be pretty even. My unit plays both, and I quite enjoy both. We switch back and forth.

I am really disappointed with PGI went so gun ho on IS that they forgot to make it even.

Keep in mind, I PLAY BOTH SIDES OF THE SPHERE.

What are your opinions?

I only own Clan mechs. Sure clan tech is *good* and I'm a little jealous of all the new toys the IS received, BUT that doesn't take away from the fact that I prefer clan mechs. Sure, have your MRM's or whatever, but that doesn't make piloting a timberwolf any less fun in my opinion.

I prefer clan mechs more for the nostalgia factor and the lore that comes with it. Yes, the IS stuff is pretty sweet, but with a game constantly adding, detracting, and balancing, I feel all tech/faction aspects eventually have their day in the sun.

EDIT: to avoid any confusion, I'm not saying the IS are better now and that I'm still okay piloting clan mechs. I'm saying that despite receiving all this cool new tech, I'm still satisfied with what I have even though the new goodys don't apply to me.

Edited by AphexTwin11, 15 March 2017 - 09:37 AM.

#99 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:43 AM

LFE? Its not as good but its going to be a handy upgrade. For example, many IS mechs have side torso ballistics. The important thing to know is this. You can now fit an AC20 or 2xUAC5 with the new engine. (previously impossible with XL) To me that is a nice deal. That is without mentioning Ultra 20s. If you like AC20, 2xPPC on a Marauder, now you can go faster with a similar payload or carry a little more at the same speed.

MRMs. Handy for those mechs with that 1 missile hardpoint like a Grid Iron or an Atlas-K maybe. Probably quicker than SRMs but with a longer cooldown.

ER medium Laser: It will synergize with weapons much like the Clan ERML did so well but probably hotter and longer burn time.

I am speculating the Light Gauss will allow a tripple charge while the Heavy Gauss just a single.

Light and Snub PPC will only be 2 crits.

Heavy PPC will probably do that same spread damage as the Clan version. Probably not worth it save for mechs with that 1 energy hardpoint. Going to be like 10 tons i think.

and.......

The main problem almost everyone knew with forwarding the timeline is that while the IS seems to get a lot of toys....Clans get Heavy Lasers and other **** like ATMs.

The Heavy Medium Laser is 1 ton and does 10 damage? wow....

Heavy Large laser is 4 tons and does 15 damage....wow again

Edited by Kin3ticX, 15 March 2017 - 09:46 AM.

#100 R Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:43 AM

Oh god, clanners might have to fight on a level playing field and all of the sudden they're up in arms. "IS AREN'T SUPPOSED O BE COMPETITIVE!"

110 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 110 guests, 0 anonymous users