Next Meck Pack Poll Discussion! Updated Choices And Dev Comments! Escalation Mechs Removed!

2368 replies to this topic

#841 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:36 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 10 April 2017 - 07:22 AM, said:

Hence my earlier comment about not being able to fix stupid... Point in case is the leading Black Lanner.... Or the currently slotted Annihilator and Uziel....

That's not to say that the Uziel is going to be bad, just not as good as I think a lot of people are thinking it's going to be... As for the Annihilator.... I just don't see things going well for that mech, it is not going to be the IS answer to the Kodaik 3.

Yet solid to good mechs, like the Devastator, Nightstar, Argus, Chimera or Star Slayer were ignored for what ever reason, are going to leave the IS behind until we can get through some of the questionable designs that people are wanting... Now don't get me wrong I am not dissing people's nostalgia, far from it, I just hope they can take a moment to look at it objectively and think about how it would likely perform in the current game play environment of MWO. Till we are passed that point of questionable designs, those that want them, don't complain that they may not be living up to their expectations, if they didn't do their home work...

I got my Bushwacker, and she acts just as I expected, generally a rather average mech that fights like a slightly heavier Centurion, in terms of weapons load out. But that was because I went into it, knowing full well what she would likely work like, I was right on the likely hit boxes, knew that she would have a very narrow front profile, with long ST's. Now what did surprise me, was the hit box issue that allows for the rear CT to be able to be hit from the front, from time to time. All it took on my part was to take that into account when playing it, keep playing it like a flanker / skirmisher / support unit, and do okay with it.

You're right of course. I don't exactly agree with your choices if we're talking about strong mechs, the Chimera would be mediocre at best.

Maybe the only way is for everyone that cares at least somewhat about a mechs performance needs to come to an agreement as to what mechs to support. Is there a youtuber that focuses more on performance?

#842 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:47 AM

With close races like the IS Medium Class, I'm actually counting on PGI deciding based on recent releases and whats already available in game. I think the Men Shen, Dervish, Chimera, and Hellspawn have all demonstrated that they are desired chassis in their respective weight classes, despite who actually wins, their vote counts are all very close, so its really up to PGI.

Even the Thanatos/Crusader race could go either way once PGI takes a look at it (but honestly, I would expect the Thanatos to get the pick, just because the Crusader is in some ways similar to the Roughneck). We will see though.

#843 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:04 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 10 April 2017 - 07:47 AM, said:

With close races like the IS Medium Class, I'm actually counting on PGI deciding based on recent releases and whats already available in game. I think the Men Shen, Dervish, Chimera, and Hellspawn have all demonstrated that they are desired chassis in their respective weight classes, despite who actually wins, their vote counts are all very close, so its really up to PGI.

Even the Thanatos/Crusader race could go either way once PGI takes a look at it (but honestly, I would expect the Thanatos to get the pick, just because the Crusader is in some ways similar to the Roughneck). We will see though.

I just worry that PGI would do the opposite and do something totally bonkers like picking these mechs:

Mongoose
Komodo
Thunder
Viking

All mechs that are near the bottom of the want list for IS mechs....

#844 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:09 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 10 April 2017 - 08:04 AM, said:

I just worry that PGI would do the opposite and do something totally bonkers like picking these mechs:

Mongoose
Komodo
Thunder
Viking

I wouldn't plan on that. But if they do, hope they go with the Kingfisher Posted Image

#845 Battlemaster56

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:19 AM

My poor Incubus with only 75 votes well maybe after a year it will be release to the game...

#846 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:47 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 07 April 2017 - 04:17 PM, said:

I don't judge people's wants, I want a Stinger and Wasp, but I know they will be less than ideal. I just want everyone to be aware of what they want and understand the limitations it would likely have.

View PostMetus regem, on 07 April 2017 - 04:17 PM, said:

I don't judge people's wants, I want a Stinger and Wasp, but I know they will be less than ideal. I just want everyone to be aware of what they want and understand the limitations it would likely have.

Completely understandable, but I still want the little *******.Posted Image

#847 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:02 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 10 April 2017 - 08:04 AM, said:

Mongoose
Komodo
Thunder
Viking

Well at least as far as performance they aren't the worst choices.

#848 Moonlight Grimoire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 941 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:03 AM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 09 April 2017 - 09:38 AM, said:

Well, Snuggles' video sure bumped up the vote count and shook up a few categories, to boot!

The Hollander has shot ahead of the Osiris with a 56 vote lead at 246.

The Starslayer has dropped to 3rd (technically 5th) place in the IS Medium race with 121 votes, behind the Men Shen, Chimera and Hellspawn all at 147 and the Dervish at 155.

Fafnir broke 300 votes.

Nova Cat broke 400 votes.

Blood Asp broke 300 votes.

I am very sad to see the Hollander shoot up, it has two versions PGI can do (because the Hollander II versions are 45 ton mechs, and then there is the Hollander III versions which are using superchargers and stuff like that). One has just a GR in the RT and runs at 81kph, the other is an LB10X and 2ML, on in each arm, running at 81kph. How... wonderful. The Owens, even as horribly limited by being an IS Omni stuck with SHS, Standard Structure, Standard Armor, and an IS XL would do better as it has actual option. The Urbanmech and Hollander aren't even on the same page as the Urbanmech actually has Hardpoints and the only quirk you could give the Hollander is like -90% Gauss crit rate so you can't have the GR crit out.

Sad that the Blood Asp is winning due to it is meta as all hell.

Chimera is... Okayish, really broad which is bad for a 40 ton mech in MWO, even with Alex re-imagining it, the original profile would remain to a degree which will hurt it, has JJ's, no ECM though, rather flat so turning sideways helps, arms are thin so no using arms to saccing an arm to protecting your arm to protect your ST's.

Hellspawn would be an okay addition to the IS's 45 ton mech bunch, side grade to the Phoenix Hawk without most of it's drawbacks of being super tall and lanky and having pylons that go super high over ridges that enemies can snipe. Humanoid which is a minus because humanoid shapes are easy to pick apart. But, it's a battlemech with ECM so that's a plus, has access to JJ's which is nice.

Men Shen I wouldn't mind as it would be a nice 55 ton aggressive non humanoid mech to tag team with the bushwacker. The option for MASC is damn nice too, though, it is an omni so it is, going to be interesting. But, XL, non humanoid body, Endo, no ferro, baked in masc, with the option for ECM? Strong.

Dervish? Eh, Better geometry Griffin minus ECM option from the 2N, but, you can spread out your lasers if you want to mix that build a bit, appealing to some folks, not to others. Has JJ's, no MASC, decent amount of M and E options. Effectively a symmetrical sidegrade of the griffin/trenchbucket.

Starslayer dropping down I don't mind, rather the Lynx was far higher up, that would be far better option for the IS as it doesn't have a giant tumor that is easy to pick off and neuter the mech with.

Nova Cat is needed, Clans need another 70 ton mech, Summoner is just a hard mech to make work for too many.

Fafnir I am mixed on, one hand, yay Fafnir. On a different hand, not so happy due to I wanted the Nightstar or Sagittaire. On another hand, Fafnir also kind of completely invalidateds the Annihilator in my eyes outside of a few hyper niche builds like the Kodiak to the Dire Wolf.

#849 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:08 AM

View PostMoonlight Grimoire, on 10 April 2017 - 09:03 AM, said:

Fafnir I am mixed on, one hand, yay Fafnir. On a different hand, not so happy due to I wanted the Nightstar or Sagittaire. On another hand, Fafnir also kind of completely invalidateds the Annihilator in my eyes outside of a few hyper niche builds like the Kodiak to the Dire Wolf.

Yeah, I mean the Fafnir will invalidate PPC/Gauss builds or Heavy Gauss builds, but as far as pure Dakka goes, unless PGI makes a variant with 6 Ballistics like the Anni, the Anni will still have the IS dakka crown as far as all out firepower goes.

#850 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:10 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 03 April 2017 - 10:46 AM, said:

For all the Starslayer fans LastKhan has blessed you!
https://mwomercs.com...ans-art-thread/
Posted Image

Gonna have to reset my Hunchback if this mech becomes a purchase :3

#851 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:18 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 10 April 2017 - 06:44 AM, said:

Fake news! Rigged Polls!

Sorry, I guess I missed that/forgot. Threw it on there.

Hollander is winning, LMAO. Just throw a Gauss Rifle on a Firestarter and see if it is fun to play. Let us know how it goes!

Lol, u probably just couldn't hear me shouting over the Wall

#852 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:21 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 10 April 2017 - 09:02 AM, said:

Well at least as far as performance they aren't the worst choices.

Never said that they were, just that they are the least wanted by the community at this point.

#853 Moonlight Grimoire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 941 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:23 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 10 April 2017 - 09:08 AM, said:

Yeah, I mean the Fafnir will invalidate PPC/Gauss builds or Heavy Gauss builds, but as far as pure Dakka goes, unless PGI makes a variant with 6 Ballistics like the Anni, the Anni will still have the IS dakka crown as far as all out firepower goes.

Pretty much, Fafnir I see having 1B and 2B in each ST for the two versions that have side torso ballistics, then the energy version having maybe 1-2B in the arms and 2-3E in the ST. I mean how often do you see a Dire that isn't an UV anymore? That is pretty much how I see the Annihilator going, well I guess the Annihilator also likely will boat energy better as well, not that IS does energy boating that well. We will have to see how PGI would deal with the Fafnir's 6U variant. I do see what you mean about PPC-Gauss being the Fafnir's bread and butter, it screams to be it's bread and butter.

#854 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:56 AM

View PostMoonlight Grimoire, on 10 April 2017 - 09:23 AM, said:

Pretty much, Fafnir I see having 1B and 2B in each ST for the two versions that have side torso ballistics, then the energy version having maybe 1-2B in the arms and 2-3E in the ST. I mean how often do you see a Dire that isn't an UV anymore? That is pretty much how I see the Annihilator going, well I guess the Annihilator also likely will boat energy better as well, not that IS does energy boating that well. We will have to see how PGI would deal with the Fafnir's 6U variant. I do see what you mean about PPC-Gauss being the Fafnir's bread and butter, it screams to be it's bread and butter.

Annihilator doesnt want to energy boat, not with a 300 engine cap. Maybe a 4xHPPC build, but i dont see that being good. But yeah, IS dakka is so space intensive you need B in every location for the really big loadouts, plus you dont really have tonnage for engine much bigger than 300 anyway, so i dont see anything completely obsoleting the anni, unless we get another 1/1/1/1 95/100 ton mech with better geometry.

#855 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 10:07 AM

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 10 April 2017 - 09:56 AM, said:

Annihilator doesnt want to energy boat, not with a 300 engine cap. Maybe a 4xHPPC build, but i dont see that being good. But yeah, IS dakka is so space intensive you need B in every location for the really big loadouts, plus you dont really have tonnage for engine much bigger than 300 anyway, so i dont see anything completely obsoleting the anni, unless we get another 1/1/1/1 95/100 ton mech with better geometry.

Yeah, so massed dakka -> Annihilator, Gauss/Heavy Gauss + Energy -> Fafnir

#856 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 10 April 2017 - 10:50 AM

View PostMoonlight Grimoire, on 10 April 2017 - 09:03 AM, said:

Nova Cat is needed, Clans need another 70 ton mech, Summoner is just a hard mech to make work for too many.

One can argue that the Night Gyr can basically do what the Nova Cat does with an additional 5 tons. While it does fill that void for the lack of 70 ton clan mechs, they are basically laser vomit omnimechs with the Nova Cat being restricted to weapon arm mounts while the Night Gyr has two torso and a single head energy hardpoint. I think the only reason why it's leading in the heavy department because of MW:4 nostalgia and the lack of 70 ton clan mechs. By all means it's not a bad mech and I'm not bashing it by any means.

The other alternative is the second place 65 ton mech. The Rifleman IIC. While the prime and 2 are basically laser vomit/ballistic vomit, variants 3 and 4 offer a nice mix of the new tech + whatever hero variant we get. It also features the capabilities of a clan battlemech. I'm sure we'll get both mechs eventually in game but now it's just a matter of what PGI chooses first.

Edit: Oh yes I forgot about the Grizzly. It's a 70 ton battlemech jack-of-all-trades-excels-at-nothing mech with lore armor problems (that PGI will most likely ignore if they went with the mech).

Edited by Arnold The Governator, 10 April 2017 - 11:01 AM.

#857 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 11:01 AM

View PostArnold The Governator, on 10 April 2017 - 10:50 AM, said:

One can argue that the Night Gyr can basically do what the Nova Cat does with an additional 5 tons. While it does fill that void for the lack of 70 ton clan mechs, they are basically laser vomit omnimechs with the Nova Cat being restricted to weapon arm mounts while the Night Gyr has two torso and a single head energy hardpoint. I think the only reason why it's leading in the heavy department because of MW:4 nostalgia and the lack of 70 ton clan mechs. By all means it's not a bad mech and I'm not bashing it by any means.

Oddly enough, the Nova Cat G, has 4 AP Gauss Rifles in each ST... So it being restricted to only arm mounts is a bit false. While C and D variants combine energy and Ballistic mounts, the C is a bit more impressive if you ask me, with 2xUAC/5+LB-5 in the RA with 2xLPL in the LA. Other notable configurations that differ from laser vomit are the B, E and G, they are very much missile focused.

#858 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 10 April 2017 - 11:09 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 10 April 2017 - 11:01 AM, said:

Oddly enough, the Nova Cat G, has 4 AP Gauss Rifles in each ST... So it being restricted to only arm mounts is a bit false. While C and D variants combine energy and Ballistic mounts, the C is a bit more impressive if you ask me, with 2xUAC/5+LB-5 in the RA with 2xLPL in the LA. Other notable configurations that differ from laser vomit are the B, E and G, they are very much missile focused.

Which PGI will ignore since we aren't getting AP gauss rifles with the new tech update. So unless PGI gives the hero some torso mounted weapons, the mech is going to be limited to arm mounts with the available chassis's in the time frame. I really wish we had access to HAG's with the new tech update, because it opens up a world of variety of canon mechs that we can have access to.

#859 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 11:14 AM

View PostArnold The Governator, on 10 April 2017 - 11:09 AM, said:

So unless PGI gives the hero some torso mounted weapons, the mech is going to be limited to arm mounts with the available chassis's in the time frame.

False, as the B variant has 3 LRM15s in each arm and 1 ER ML in each side torso. As the B config, it is very likely to be included.

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 10 April 2017 - 11:15 AM.

#860 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 April 2017 - 11:22 AM

View PostArnold The Governator, on 10 April 2017 - 11:09 AM, said:

Which PGI will ignore since we aren't getting AP gauss rifles with the new tech update. So unless PGI gives the hero some torso mounted weapons, the mech is going to be limited to arm mounts with the available chassis's in the time frame. I really wish we had access to HAG's with the new tech update, because it opens up a world of variety of canon mechs that we can have access to.

Timeline didn't stop PGI from including Kodiaks from out of the timeline. Basically only the base variant + equipped tech is important and even then PGI has invented variants to fill in (Scat P for example)

28 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 28 guests, 0 anonymous users