How To Potato?

24 replies to this topic

#1 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:43 PM

Posted Image

After a grueling journey to Tier-1, i finally gotten my overall win-ratio several decimals above 1.00. Of course my KD rato is negative, and is red-as-****.

However, i do have a question.

Posted Image

I try to stick with my team. I torso twist, i arm shield, maybe not that well as intended sometimes. I lock, and i read the target info -- though sometimes i don't get the luxury of shooting the weak points due to the spur-of-the-moment, even if they are exposed.

Whenever i use lurm, maintain 400 - 600 meters and sometimes i even charge till I'm at 200 meters, always with my team, and i use both my 4x ERML and my 4x LRM10A in my TBR and i keep moving, I don't just stick to one spot lurming, i try to get a good angle.

Of course i don't like 2x gauss and/or 2x ppc and i try not to use them, cause i felt that they are cheap win tactic. I'm not the type that hangs back, in fact i try to be a frontliner, i even enjoy brawling with by TBR 4x SRM6A + 6x SPL, or to spearhead with my brawler Atlas-S with AC20 + 4x SRM6A.

If i am fast, like in a HBK-IIC-A or Light, i try to scout as well, i move ahead of my team to try and get a bearing.

Am I potato? Am I good? or I'm average as they come?

Edited by The6thMessenger, 18 March 2017 - 04:46 PM.

#2 I_AM_ZUUL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationIsle of Skye (Freeing Skye from the Steiner usurpers)

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:02 PM

You are great and a team player... do not play Cancer Mechs and use the other 11 players on your team as NPCs hiding in the back with cERPPC/cGauss, those are selfish players using selfish tactics. There is too much of that already since PGI only uses the narrowest of Stats available... I as a general rule look down on anyone who has very high stats because that is how they got them.

#3 dervishx5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:10 PM

Whatcha got there? A little potates?

#4 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:13 PM

You pull your own weight consistently and a little more as far as I know, and you tend to run some eccentric mechs and builds from what I have personally seen, meaning you do well in what most would laugh and call suboptimal

#5 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:16 PM

View PostSnazzy Dragon, on 18 March 2017 - 05:13 PM, said:

You pull your own weight consistently and a little more as far as I know, and you tend to run some eccentric mechs and builds from what I have personally seen, meaning you do well in what most would laugh and call suboptimal

Yeah, I rocked that Gauss Urbie Posted Image

Then again, i can get away with a lot more in QP solo-q.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 18 March 2017 - 05:17 PM.

#6 Saint Atlas and the Commando Elf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 595 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:21 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 18 March 2017 - 04:43 PM, said:

The size of your potato really doesn't matter, Honey. To me, you are the best

#7 razenWing

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:39 PM

I find that math more problematic...

2195/2187 is not 1.25...

It's 1.004...

#8 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:39 PM

Previous failing means nothing. As long as you keep up that 1.25 WLR for this season and the future ones, you are not a potato. And you have more room for improvement.

It took me at least a year to get my total WLR to positive, so it can be a long progress.

Edited by El Bandito, 18 March 2017 - 06:40 PM.

#9 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:40 PM

Use an LRM Atlas for a while. Then you will be Full Potato.

Edited by FupDup, 18 March 2017 - 06:40 PM.

#10 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:42 PM

View PostFupDup, on 18 March 2017 - 06:40 PM, said:

Use an LRM Atlas for a while. Then you will be Full Potato.

LRM Atlas with bad set of back up weapons. Like this guy. Makes my Lurmlas meta in comparison.

Posted Image

#11 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:54 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 18 March 2017 - 06:39 PM, said:

Previous failing means nothing. As long as you keep up that 1.25 WLR for this season and the future ones, you are not a potato. And you have more room for improvement.

It took me at least a year to get my total WLR to positive, so it can be a long progress.

I'd advise listening to Bandito's advice here.

When I first began, my KDR was crappy as hell. .5KDR. But after getting lucky by getting involved with the forums and a unit, I got my KDR up to 1.24 after the first year.

Today It's been gradually rising; 1.64 as of now.

Kills: 6,776
Deaths: 4128
Kill/Death Ratio: 1.64

Wins or Losses never usually matter with how effective you are as a pilot; It's how well you yourself can perform in the match against others.

#12 Shiroi Tsuki

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,205 posts
  • LocationCosplaying Ruby from Rwby in Aiur, Auckland, GA America, Interior Union, Mar Sara and Remnant

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:54 PM

View Postdervishx5, on 18 March 2017 - 05:10 PM, said:

Whatcha got there? A little potates?

AHAHAHAHAH
Posted Image

#13 Clanner Scum

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 338 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:07 PM

How to potato?

Get in an Atlas and walk straight into the enemy team legitimately tryharding and die within the first two minutes of the game. But don't leave the game after death. Stay until the game is over.

That is how you potato.

#14 MacClearly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:07 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 18 March 2017 - 04:43 PM, said:

Posted Image

After a grueling journey to Tier-1, i finally gotten my overall win-ratio several decimals above 1.00. Of course my KD rato is negative, and is red-as-****.

However, i do have a question.

Posted Image

I try to stick with my team. I torso twist, i arm shield, maybe not that well as intended sometimes. I lock, and i read the target info -- though sometimes i don't get the luxury of shooting the weak points due to the spur-of-the-moment, even if they are exposed.

Whenever i use lurm, maintain 400 - 600 meters and sometimes i even charge till I'm at 200 meters, always with my team, and i use both my 4x ERML and my 4x LRM10A in my TBR and i keep moving, I don't just stick to one spot lurming, i try to get a good angle.

Of course i don't like 2x gauss and/or 2x ppc and i try not to use them, cause i felt that they are cheap win tactic. I'm not the type that hangs back, in fact i try to be a frontliner, i even enjoy brawling with by TBR 4x SRM6A + 6x SPL, or to spearhead with my brawler Atlas-S with AC20 + 4x SRM6A.

If i am fast, like in a HBK-IIC-A or Light, i try to scout as well, i move ahead of my team to try and get a bearing.

Quick Play is where the lowest form of this game is played. Even the worst drop caller around, berating his team at every oportunity with little understanding of the game, can have some success just by calling out a few simple orders.

So if your team is playing like a team on the rare occasion that this happens, go with it. When this doesn't happen, use the opportunity to practise your skills.

As far as not liking the current meta, that is not really much of a problem if quick play is your end game. My personal philosophy is to try and get decent at every roll, and every weight class. I don't particularly like lurming but I do it. Same with running around narcing, which is not that easy, but I try to be decent at it. While most games end in a brawl, it is nice to be able to trade well and that style is good for map and situational awareness as well. I know I hated PPC's until I started to get good at it and getting kills. Racking up a 1000+ damage in Huntsman or Linebacker 30 at a time does feel like you have worked for it compared to laser or srm spam.

#15 AphexTwin11

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 398 posts
  • LocationLooking right through you, with somniferous almond eyes

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:25 PM

When i read the title, I genuinely thought this would be a how-to guide for playing like an Idaho potatoe.

#16 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:39 PM

The surest way to increase your KDR and W/L is to use effective (read: "meta") 'Mechs all the time, preferably stick to a single 'Mech, learn how to position yourself, and play a crap ton!

Good gaming hardware is of course important (I play on a 2014 12.5" laptop with Intel HD4000 for iGPU, for example, which you can imagine how bad the game runs). This directly influences your K/D because how well you can aim is tied to how good your rig is.

Above average performance is of course perfectly acceptable if that's what you are comfortable with - it's already far above potato level.

#17 shadowcat67

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:07 PM

It took me 9 months from when I started to get to a KDR of 1, I am at 1.17 after 15 months. My WL is still under 1.0 just by a hair, I keep getting close.
I was doing well a couple of season ago, but then broken my primary arm.
The other thing for KDR is your group.
I am in a casual group so they don't usually run meta, so that makes it tough to bring it up, since the MM goes by tonnage in group.
I did manage to get it to 2.01 in season 5 and 1.98 in season 6, but I was playing lights and mostly doing solo-Q.
I didn't master any mechs those months.
Now in the current season I am at 1.37, getting over the broken arm and leveling up my Blackjacks, and playing with the new Banshee.

Edited by shadowcat67, 18 March 2017 - 09:27 PM.

#18 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 10:01 PM

View PostrazenWing, on 18 March 2017 - 05:39 PM, said:

I find that math more problematic...

2195/2187 is not 1.25...

It's 1.004...

Different seasons. First one is season 9, the second 1 is season 8. And then the final one is my overall.

#19 Jubblator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 183 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 10:13 PM

My KDR sucks since i try to actually push when we say we will in solo QP, most of the time i go down and see my team is moving back into cover (since they didnt follow me)....so playing assault is a good idea to avoid (atleast in solo QP), unless you play a support role (2nd line).

#20 jjm1

• Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:51 AM

Play nothing but T1 meta, hide and kill farm.

Alternatively, stop looking at the scores.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users