#1 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:17 PM

So, I have lore OCD, and can't leave empty arm hardpoints (might be able to if they actually got hands or something), which tends to leave me unable to properly "meta". And let's be fair... you are seldom going to use a 40 tonner without ECM for "seriuz biznez".

Still have been running 3 variations of the same riff on my ASN-21 and having some fun.

The closest to Meta would probably be my SRM "Mad Bomber"
ASN-21
I should probably drop the lasers, but it's not an ASN with an arm nub.

In a similar vein, is my "Angry Mosquito" build
ASN-21
Hit run and harass, but it simply has no real punch on it's own. Works OK as long as it isn't isolated and has to try to brawl.

Lastly, my more team oriented take, no name yet, but it's likely going to replace my VND-1AA as my nuisance flanker build of choice:
ASN-21
No powerhouse, but in the right scenarios it's annoying as heck, and it can shift firing positions like nobodies business. Also I'll probably upgrade to ERMLs this summer

Have only tried one build on the ASN-101 so far, seems OK, but will need to test it outside the Testing Grounds before deciding if it's enough
ASN-101
Though tbh, it's tempting to go back to the 3 LL build... but it just felt...wrong. (and hot!)

The 23 I have no clue where to go with. Seriously... I hate lopsided robots, and it's too light to realyl be an ideal sword and board... yet... that kind of seems like the way to go. I may LRM it just to do something with it.

Also haven't touched my DD yet, as it's not realyl a priority until new tech lets me slap a RAC on that nubby little arm.

Anyhow... have only a few crops in game so far, mostly in Testing Grounds, will be dropping heavily in them when I get home tonight though.

How about you? What are your builds so far? Anything worthwhile in the reinforcements?

#2 Shiroi Tsuki

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,205 posts
  • LocationCosplaying Ruby from Rwby in Aiur, Auckland, GA America, Interior Union, Mar Sara and Remnant

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:22 PM

Didn't know it released today, but the 101 catches my eye for being zombie capable

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...143abe290bfcaae

#3 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:24 PM

View PostShiroi Tsuki, on 21 March 2017 - 03:22 PM, said:

Didn't know it released today, but the 101 catches my eye for being zombie capable

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...143abe290bfcaae

whatever works, but have to admit, I don't buy th Zombie hype... especially on a 40 tonner... though a zombie unicorn is always funny to watch pewpew away!

#4 Shiroi Tsuki

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,205 posts
  • LocationCosplaying Ruby from Rwby in Aiur, Auckland, GA America, Interior Union, Mar Sara and Remnant

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:41 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 21 March 2017 - 03:24 PM, said:

whatever works, but have to admit, I don't buy th Zombie hype... especially on a 40 tonner... though a zombie unicorn is always funny to watch pewpew away!

Design philosophy and the ability to fight back when you're pretty much dead sounds very appealing tbh. Also nothing feels worst than surviving engagements as a stick, pretty much useless in Skirmish. Ever have those moments when you brawl but you lose the brawl since you're a stick? If only you had a Small/Medium laser on the head/CT, maybe you could have won ;)

#5 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:45 PM

View PostShiroi Tsuki, on 21 March 2017 - 03:41 PM, said:

Design philosophy and the ability to fight back when you're pretty much dead sounds very appealing tbh. Also nothing feels worst than surviving engagements as a stick, pretty much useless in Skirmish. Ever have those moments when you brawl but you lose the brawl since you're a stick? If only you had a Small/Medium laser on the head/CT, maybe you could have won Posted Image

or if I had the weight savings of an XL, I would have had the speed to avoid getting sticked, or the firepower to have killed the other guy quicker... or both. And by the time I am sticked, it's rather moot, with an XL. But on sub 60 ton mechs, I seldom find the tradeoff in firepower worth the added surviviability, because I find the loss of mobility and front loaded damage early in the match, to greatly outweigh any perceived benefits of the STD.

Mind you on heavier chassis that can still bring significant firepower, I tend to be more open to them.

#6 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:10 PM

Bleh. All I can see from most these builds are people trying to make them work, and fail. Only thing the Assassin will assassinate will be its pilots.

Posted Image

Edited by El Bandito, 21 March 2017 - 06:11 PM.

#7 Zookeeper Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBeer City USA

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:37 PM

I might try something like this.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...789ab8293b38206

It's 1/2 of an Atlas's weapons on a faster, more fragile chassis!

#8 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:19 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 21 March 2017 - 06:10 PM, said:

Bleh. All I can see from most these builds are people trying to make them work, and fail. Only thing the Assassin will assassinate will be its pilots.

Posted Image

ah look, it's bandito being his usual cheerful self!

#9 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:21 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 21 March 2017 - 07:19 PM, said:

ah look, it's bandito being his usual cheerful self!

Someone has to point out that the emperor has no clothes. Aside from few missile builds, the Assassin is nothing much. Just another nostalgia mech that is hamstrung by IS tech. PGI should not have withheld quirks on this guy.

Edited by El Bandito, 21 March 2017 - 08:24 PM.

#10 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:28 PM

Well, I guess you could be a light chaser in something the size of a skyscraper? Kind of like the CN9-D with maxed engine?
ASN-101

#11 legionofvega

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 127 posts
  • LocationSecond Try - Home of the RDR

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:37 PM

I ran my DD tonight with an ER LL and 2 SRM 6's. I did 540 damage, took out a king crab and another assassin. The ECM let me sneak around and look for opportunistic targets. The 50/50/50 accel/decel/turn rates make this mech just hum.

View PostEl Bandito, on 21 March 2017 - 08:21 PM, said:

Someone has to point out that the emperor has no clothes. Aside from few missile builds, the Assassin is nothing much. Just another nostalgia mech that is hamstrung by IS tech. PGI should not have withheld quirks on this guy.

Sad but true. However it is a sweet looking mech and much more fun to play than the 3025 Assassin from the old table top days!

Edited by legionofvega, 21 March 2017 - 08:38 PM.

#12 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:15 PM

View Postlegionofvega, on 21 March 2017 - 08:37 PM, said:

I ran my DD tonight with an ER LL and 2 SRM 6's. I did 540 damage, took out a king crab and another assassin. The ECM let me sneak around and look for opportunistic targets. The 50/50/50 accel/decel/turn rates make this mech just hum.

Sad but true. However it is a sweet looking mech and much more fun to play than the 3025 Assassin from the old table top days!

I had lots of fun with my 3025 ASN... just swapped the SRM for a second LRM5... ssame build I ran in MW2 Mercs.

In MWO? I literally double my fun, by packign 4x LRM5 and 2x MLs, lol. Is it meta? Eh... have I ever cared about that? It actually makes a good companion harasser to my favorite VND build.4

I'll take another nostalgia mech over a soulless metastick, any day of the week!

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 21 March 2017 - 09:16 PM.

#13 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:29 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 21 March 2017 - 09:15 PM, said:

In MWO? I literally double my fun, by packign 4x LRM5 and 2x MLs, lol. Is it meta? Eh... have I ever cared about that? It actually makes a good companion harasser to my favorite VND build.4

I'll take another nostalgia mech over a soulless metastick, any day of the week!

Says meta mechs are soulless, and accuses people of cheesing when boating LRM5s.
Turns the Assassin into just another unimaginative dime a dozen LRM5 boat.

Posted Image

Edited by El Bandito, 21 March 2017 - 09:41 PM.

#14 Snazzy Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:37 PM

The SRM4 nerf hurt the overall potential of the assassin's more promising loadout capabilites, but whatever

"If it can't mount gauss/PPC it doesn't deserve to be good" seems to be PGI's balance trend lately

#15 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:43 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 21 March 2017 - 09:29 PM, said:

Says meta mechs are soulless, and accuses people of cheesing when boating LRM5s.
Turns the Assassin into just another unimaginative dime a dozen LRM5 boat.

Posted Image

cool story. Actually, no, it's the same broken record you usually play mr 9x LRM5 Archer (also because of course MWO is inundated with 120 kph, jumpy LRM harassers.... oh wait...it isn't? Gosh). Love how you also ignore the other two loadouts I've been running. Guess I hit too close to home or something .

View PostSnazzy Dragon, on 21 March 2017 - 09:37 PM, said:

The SRM4 nerf hurt the overall potential of the assassin's more promising loadout capabilites, but whatever

"If it can't mount gauss/PPC it doesn't deserve to be good" seems to be PGI's balance trend lately

That's what happens when hey listen to certain parties.
SRM4 still seems to work OK, tbh. Not as good, maybe, but I just get about 50m closer, and call it a day. <I'll get more serious testing tomorrow on various loadouts.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 21 March 2017 - 09:54 PM.

#16 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:46 PM

Lol, this mech can go as fast as a Locust -- not much weapons though but still.

#17 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:54 PM

Playing around with it in Smurfy, but I'm not really coming up with anything. Pulse lasers? Cicada 2B is a better choice. Laser boat? Not enough energy hardpoints. Missile boat? SRM4 nerf and I have griffins-- better suited to it anyhow. PPCs? I prefer the cicada 3F for that, if not the blackjack. Mixed build? On a 40 tonner? You must be joking. Large lasers? Rather do it on a raven or shadow hawk. Ballistics? Maybe if it were the bushwacker.

The hardpoint layout doesn't exactly do several variants any favors, either.

At least it looks nice.

#18 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:57 PM

View PostSnazzy Dragon, on 21 March 2017 - 09:54 PM, said:

Playing around with it in Smurfy, but I'm not really coming up with anything. Pulse lasers? Cicada 2B is a better choice. Laser boat? Not enough energy hardpoints. Missile boat? SRM4 nerf and I have griffins-- better suited to it anyhow. PPCs? I prefer the cicada 3F for that, if not the blackjack. Mixed build? On a 40 tonner? You must be joking. Large lasers? Rather do it on a raven or shadow hawk. Ballistics? Maybe if it were the bushwacker.

The hardpoint layout doesn't exactly do several variants any favors, either.

At least it looks nice.

23 is definitely a conundrum. 21 works fine as a hit and run SRM bomber. 101... a few options, but most fun has been SPLs and SRMs for me. But all have been limited. DD I just don't even plan on touching until RAC2 shows up.

It's decently tough for it's size, agile as hell, but it doesn't really pack a knockout punch. Which is about what I expected. Though admittedly, my excitement was pre SRM4 nerf, but it's not doa even after.

#19 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:44 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 21 March 2017 - 09:57 PM, said:

23 is definitely a conundrum. 21 works fine as a hit and run SRM bomber. 101... a few options, but most fun has been SPLs and SRMs for me. But all have been limited. DD I just don't even plan on touching until RAC2 shows up.

It's decently tough for it's size, agile as hell, but it doesn't really pack a knockout punch. Which is about what I expected. Though admittedly, my excitement was pre SRM4 nerf, but it's not doa even after.

Could get role specific for the ASN 23.

Run a build that's function is LRM support/spotter.

NARC w/1.5 tons ammo
2 LRM5s w/4 tons ammo
TAG
Med pulse
280XL and 2 jets

That should fit with endo and ferro and a stripped down left arm.

Run in and stick some NARCS then fall back and spray some LRMs while TAG assisting something with big/more launchers.

Your LRM5s will should soak AMS damage for larger vollies from further away while your NARC + TAG improves Main LRM support.

Not much use in solo quick play if your team lacks a beefy Lurm slinger though.

#20 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 11:45 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 21 March 2017 - 09:43 PM, said:

cool story. Actually, no, it's the same broken record you usually play mr 9x LRM5 Archer (also because of course MWO is inundated with 120 kph, jumpy LRM harassers.... oh wait...it isn't? Gosh). Love how you also ignore the other two loadouts I've been running. Guess I hit too close to home or something .

Nah, I'm just picking up on a hypocrisy on your part. Of course, this one is a minor thing next to that time when you said that "Compared to those prefer to tryhard on this game I have a life". Ok, Mr. 43,000 posts, you sure do. Posted Image

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users