• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,306 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSeoul, Korea

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:35 AM

Anything with twin Gauss?

Then that makes my 2 Gauss + 4 SPL Loki a metabuild??

#2 Snowbluff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:40 AM

View PostPr8Dator, on 26 March 2017 - 06:35 AM, said:

2 Gauss + 4 SPL Loki a metabuild??

Posted Image
Nah, I think you're good, bro.

#3 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:58 AM

Depends who you ask.

When I want to get love I run my 3 AMS ECM kitfox and play the savior role around the assaults and heavies. That's the meta build for team love to me.

#4 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 07:07 AM

metamechs.com

Their metabuilds are glorious.

#5 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 07:20 AM

Meta mechs are mechs that preform very well in all conditions. They are very capable in both long and short range and built very efficiently and practically for competitive play.

Basically high mounted gauss and ERPPC so you can poke people far away without exposing much of your mech. Speed and armor also help.

#6 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 26 March 2017 - 07:41 AM

The term "meta" used in the context of a videogame means "the secondary campaign/goal that surrounds the main gameplay."

In Mechwarrior online, the true Meta is the Faction Play map where the various factions in the Inner Sphere try to claim as much territory as possible. If there were special resources bonuses for claiming planets (like cheaper weapons, Mechs, etc.) as factions gain territory, such as the result of claiming planets with certain factories, then the MW:O meta would be very fun.

However, the FP gametype lacks any immersion or Meta value at all. All you get for participating is token bonuses for accumulating Loyalty Points.

So, we are stuck with generating our own Meta game. That has basically been boiled down to the secondary game of MechLabbing. The Mechlab now serves as the only real game-outside-the-game where you are playing the "game" of Mech Optimization. A Meta Mech is a Mech that is designed as much as possible to be the theoretical "Perfect Combat Unit."

This distinguishes between "cool looking" Mechs and "Combat Optimized" Mechs. Players who seek MetaMechs will consider per-patch weapon changes, minutia in differences between weapons, ammo, and armor values, optimum cammo, and have no regard for what is Sportsman like or any of that bother.

So, a Meta Mech is one designed specifically to be the most cold, calculated, and effective given whatever the current state of weapon tuning is at the time of that particular patch.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 26 March 2017 - 07:44 AM.

#7 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 26 March 2017 - 08:39 AM

Meta mechs = most popular mechs in terms of performance.

Meta builds = most popular builds on a mech in terms of performance.

#8 HGAK47

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 971 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 08:41 AM

I used to love using Gauss, quad gauss kodiak can be entertaining. Then I discovered that I can have so much more fun getting much closer in SRM brawler builds! Its just a pity its a new playstyle that I am trying to learn to be better at.

My experience of not using long range gauss and the like so far is - Flip a coin, you will either die fast or wreck face :)

#9 Skanderborg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 411 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 08:43 AM

A build using a preferred chassis and exploiting its strengths.

Brawling atlas

Laservomit battlemaster

Gauss night gyr

SPL artic cheetah

LRM awesome 8R

Dakka Kodiak / Mauler

Edited by Skanderborg, 26 March 2017 - 08:50 AM.

#10 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 March 2017 - 08:50 AM

"Meta" is a loosely defined (and probably completely misused) term to represent whatever mech+weapon loadout most competitive (and wannabe comp) players are using.

Best advice is just don't worry about it. Experiment and see what works for your play style. If you end up with a "meta" loadout, then so be it.

#11 DivineTomatoes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 307 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:45 AM

It's a crutch for bad players.

#12 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 26 March 2017 - 11:00 AM

View PostReaver2145, on 26 March 2017 - 10:45 AM, said:

It's a crutch for bad players.

Now that's a lie if I've ever heard one
A butthurt lie

The reality is, PGI makes the Meta
A Meta Build is a built which generally has the best performance with the least risk
Or, is most effective at a given role

#13 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 26 March 2017 - 11:17 AM

Most effective within a role/range bracket (brawler timby, griffon 3M/2N are devastating brawlers, shadow cats make excellent snipers, dakka kodiak 3 dominates the mid range, etc)

Most flexible (gauss + PPC is effective at any range, just about)

Best quirks/hitboxes

High mounts

Ability to boat DHS

Payload

Edited by Snazzy Dragon, 26 March 2017 - 11:18 AM.

#14 SuomiWarder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationSacramento area, California

Posted 26 March 2017 - 11:21 AM

I always thought of a "meta build" as one that takes maximum advantage of the game system and quirks of the rules. Which makes a very effective mech obviously and this the ones most often seen in a competitive setting. A mech that can carry two or three of a major weapon that other similar mass mechs cannot is "meta" because it takes advantage of the design rules by virtue of a more favorable design set up than the others for example.

#15 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 11:40 AM

View PostPr8Dator, on 26 March 2017 - 06:35 AM, said:

Anything with twin Gauss?

Then that makes my 2 Gauss + 4 SPL Loki a metabuild??

No.

But the existence of meta mechs make a 2x Gauss 4x Spl HBR an even worse build than it already is on paper.

Do yourself, and more importantly your team, a favor and stop using stock armor HBRs.

#16 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 26 March 2017 - 11:42 AM

Not gauss really anymore, 2 clan er ppc. Have have gone full circle and back to poptarts :)

#17 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 26 March 2017 - 11:43 AM

View PostDakota1000, on 26 March 2017 - 07:20 AM, said:

Meta mechs are mechs that preform very well in all conditions. They are very capable in both long and short range and built very efficiently and practically for competitive play.

Basically high mounted gauss and ERPPC so you can poke people far away without exposing much of your mech. Speed and armor also help.

That's not true...there are plenty of competitive specialized brawlers focused around SRMs and Clan SPLs.

For most people and situations though, having a long range firing squad tends to be the best choice. It generally takes coordination to make a brawler team work...

#18 Pyed

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 26 March 2017 - 11:47 AM

View PostProsperity Park, on 26 March 2017 - 07:41 AM, said:

So, we are stuck with generating our own Meta game. That has basically been boiled down to the secondary game of MechLabbing.

I think this is what the metagame is that 'meta' mechs refers to. I don't think we've generated it on our own--it's the Battletech metagame and it's always been a core part of the IP.

This goes for TT as well as MechWarrior games--the game is the combat, and the metagame is the mechlab at the lowest level, and Inner Sphere politics at the highest level.

This is pretty much a universal concept. In sports the game is obviously the play on the field, and the metagame is building a team and everything that goes with it.
A "meta" basketball player is usually a tall one.

So as to what, exactly, a metamech is--it's winning the mechlab game before getting to the battlefield; putting yourself in a position of advantage in the fight based on the mechanics of the game.

Edited by Pyed, 26 March 2017 - 11:49 AM.

#19 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 26 March 2017 - 12:26 PM

Don't listen to the comp tier meta lords! They no nothing.

The meta game is building a mech to use every hard point and every crit space (and ideally with max armor). True build gods even fill the AMS spot(s) too. If that build is actually playable...then that is some meta shi7 right there. Build it to take full advantage of ALL quirks too and you have beaten PGI's dart board build meta game.

Posted Image

#20 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 12:28 PM

View PostDakota1000, on 26 March 2017 - 07:20 AM, said:

Meta mechs are mechs that preform very well in all conditions.

Nope. The metagame of MWO is whatever maximizes your damage out while minimizing your damage in. The solution to the meta-game, the so-called "meta 'Mechs," are those choices which do this for a given set of conditions.

What is meta changes from map to map, mode to mode, drop-weight to drop-weight. Being universally applicable has nothing to do with it.

16 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users