7 replies to this topic

#1 Dudeman3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 520 posts
  • LocationMom's Basement

Posted 26 March 2017 - 11:22 AM

How many of you are playing M.A.V.?? and if so, how do you like it in relation to MWO?

It certainly looks very engineered based (when building your mech, weapon placement is important because of recoil properties and heat / Generators to power your Mech / different bi-pedal, tread, chicken walker legs to influence the amount of weight it can handle)... It certainly looks more mech simulator than MWO, I think (no BT lore, but the quad-pedal robits look sweeeeeeet)

So what is your opinion on M.A.V vs MWO?

Edited by Dudeman3k, 26 March 2017 - 11:23 AM.

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 26 March 2017 - 11:33 AM

Just watched its gameplay. Looks like this Mobile Assault Vehicle is still in the early stages of development. Can't be even compared to MWO. However, I do find its fixed hardpoint targeting more immersive that the instant pin point convergence of MWO--though it could be just due to developer laziness.

Edited by El Bandito, 26 March 2017 - 11:34 AM.

#3 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 26 March 2017 - 11:34 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 26 March 2017 - 11:33 AM, said:

Just watched its gameplay. Looks like this Mobile Assault Vehicle is still in the early stages of development. CAn't be even compared to MWO. However, I do find the fixed hardpoint shooting more immersive that the instant pin point convergence of MWO--though it could be just due to developer laziness.

It's heavily inspired by Chrome Hounds (RIP), and is true to the source in that regard

#4 Pyed

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 26 March 2017 - 11:36 AM

It's going to be very, very hard to overcome the disadvantage of not having the Battletech IP, but if the gameplay ends up being good enough I'd look at giving it a shot.

Right now seems a bit early to attract my attention.

#5 Snazzy Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 26 March 2017 - 11:36 AM

M.A.V. is basically a reboot of the game Chromehounds, which had its servers shut down for multiplayer.

That said, I think it's a much different style of gameplay than MWO, because sensors and the minimap/battlegrid function very differently, and there is no perfect convergence among weapons. Instead each weapon has a camera that you can switch to, for more precise aiming.

With the building system, though, you can make some really whacky abominations, as the only construction rules are having a lower chassis, a cockpit part, and a power supply, being under a maxiumum capacity, and no pieces can collide with each other.

That said, I loved Chromehounds.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 Chuck B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 253 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 02:12 PM

I have nothing good to say about MAV, Owned it for a few years, it never really went anywhere, Only 1 guy working on it and its a mess. He pulled it from steam and now the steam version wont update and you have to jump threw hopes to start using he new stand alone client. It had abit of potential, but really its a rip off for what you get and will get in the future. Its to big of a project for just one guy.

#7 nitra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 09:51 AM

M.A.V. is one of those games with a lot of potential. yet it has yet to succeed in that regard.

The Underlying philosophy of the game is sound enough and even the design i well done.

were it falls flat is in execution.

despite the varied weapons there is no real feed back from using the weapons nor is there any real feed back when you hit a target . so the gun play seems rather shallow and empty. which is ashamed considering the amount of fire power you can fit on a unit.

the various methods of transport legs, tread, hover, and wheels gives good game play variety allowing one to create a vehicle that fits various roles.If you can get past the weapon feedback issues you can have some fairly enjoyable games. tooling around in the various units you can create, is solid enough for a build and destroy game.

Unfortunately the designer decided to try launching the game on steam, when it was no where near ready and suffered several negative effects in doing so. mainly due to a major drop in site traffic and the negative reviews hurt his marketing efforts which is never a good thing for a indie title. he removed it from steam, and still supports the game through his web site . this whole fiasco is a stumbling block which he is still recovering from.

With that said he has proven to be a committed dev and is working on the game to this date with regular progress and game updates. which is saying alot giving the state of abandoned games these days.

for a game form a tiny dev it is an ambitious promising title, if you like supporting games in the build and destroy category then mav is worthy of that funding .

other wise it is a wait and see title that has a ways to go before it becomes a complete experience.

Edited by nitra, 27 March 2017 - 09:56 AM.

#8 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:15 AM

M.A.V. is like Chromehounds without the creative genius of FromSoftware (Dark Souls, Bloodbourne, Armored Core) behind it.

The build system you see in Chromehounds had its origins in Armored Core, and ever the demise of Chromehounds, continued to be used with later Armored Core chapters. AC also inherited the community warfare system devised in Chromehounds, albeit simplified.

Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users