Hugely Problematic Map

8 replies to this topic

#1 Absoh

Rookie

• The God
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 12:21 PM

I'm hoping this is already on someone's radar as per JMan's post, but I'll reiterate my thoughts additionally.

This map is really problematic for attackers - in my dozens of BV pug vs pug games I don't think I've been on a winning attacking team. As we know, uncoordinated pug teams generally gravitate towards midrange/long range builds - brawlers are much less effective when you can't rely on your team committing to the brawl with you.

And with that being the case, you end up seeing the pug meta as it is today - poptarts, laser boats, and such - generally some combination of LL, LPL, Gauss, and PPC. Any glance at Meta Mech's tier list or in game experience can confirm this.

Now there are two key issues on BV that come into play when this meta exists. The first is that the gates are two close- there is very little repositioning required by the defensive team regardless of strategy used by the offense. Regardless of entry that the offense makes, a firing line sheltered by the ridges makes it a low risk defense regardless of any strategy employed.

Additionally, there is a walled-off bowl in between both gates in which the defenders can readily hide a flank that can respond to either gate's offensive.

In general, the game mode on this map just ends up with un-fun failured attempts at sieges which are easily repressed by a general, non-tactical defensive strategy.

It can be won, and is probably more balanced in 12v12 unit vs unit play, but it is a nightmare for pugs.

Edited by Absoh, 27 March 2017 - 02:03 PM.

#2 Insufficient Skill

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:01 PM

join a unit.

#3 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:51 PM

I agree it's a tough one on which to attack, especially when there's a coordinated unit defending.

But it's not impossible. The wins I've had as attacker were memorable for that reason.

Overall though I think as maps go it could use some rework.

#4 Absoh

Rookie

• The God
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 02:02 PM

View PostInsufficient Skill, on 27 March 2017 - 01:01 PM, said:

join a unit.

I'm in a unit. What does that have to do with inbalances in a pug map? That's not a solution to this problem in particular mate.

View PostAbsoh, on 27 March 2017 - 12:21 PM, said:

It can be won, and is probably more balanced in 12v12 unit vs unit play, but it is a nightmare for pugs.

Edited by Absoh, 27 March 2017 - 02:03 PM.

#5 Ghos7bearD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 351 posts
  • LocationGermany, Hamburg

Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:52 PM

And the conclusion is, the map need an overhaul because of PUGs? Hm, but you say the map is balanced for units, what will happen to this balance if the map becomes more PUG friendly?

#6 Absoh

Rookie

• The God
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 08:21 AM

View PostNorsfyr, on 27 March 2017 - 11:52 PM, said:

And the conclusion is, the map need an overhaul because of PUGs? Hm, but you say the map is balanced for units, what will happen to this balance if the map becomes more PUG friendly?

It probably becomes better for unit play as a result? Are you indicating that the problems with this map don't cause issues in any type of play?

I'm not saying it is perfectly balanced for units, just that it is more balanced than for pugs because systemic map problems don't cause as many problems for that style of play. It's still pretty unbalanced in favor of the defensive team in any case.

#7 Jonathan8883

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 708 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 01:03 PM

Stuck wasting my time on this map now. It still stinks.

#8 Bjoern Jorgensson

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 03:39 PM

Dear PGI - this map could use a little bit reworking. Narc+Lurmageddon make it near impossible for most player groups - even experienced ones - to win assault on this map. And these extreme results can´t be what pgi is interested in if they want to keep fw alive - especially with dwindling player numbers and the complete failure of solaris

#9 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 03 October 2018 - 05:05 AM

You know... when a base is built, normally is in a good defensive position....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users