Competitive Roundtable With Russ Bullock And Developers, Friday 31St Of March!

270 replies to this topic

#41 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:27 PM

Ye I should've clarified it wasn't "all" from there. That said if it was marketed/promoted better, more would get on board with it as well. Either way I'm happy for some of the funds I've put into the game to go to prizes that help promote the game and higher levels even if I know I won't ever be taking home said money haha.

MWO will never be a high profile e-sport, being realistic, but it's good that it's getting some air-time within it's community though.

That said I can understand people's angst of putting funds into it when the last 12 months has seen:
  • No new maps (or fixes to QP/FP existing maps)
  • New game modes are, lacklustre at best.
  • Bunch of stuff aborted/not delivered like FP round table / general fixes to the mode. Energy Draw. Infotech etc etc.
It appears to the community on the outside as lots of wasted time/money. So I can certainly appreciate Ted's issue and view. That said this really is not the place to be discussing that stuff. Some funds will be put to a MWO OC, and that is fair enough as it makes logical sense.

#42 Lukoi Banacek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:32 PM

View Post-Ramrod-, on 29 March 2017 - 04:51 PM, said:

I always hear that Best mech setup crap all the time. 1 Gauss 2 PPC...2 Gauss 1 PPC...any mech with a ballistic and energy hardpoint. Same platform over various mechs is not about the mech...its about the reliance on that platform of weapons. And the cheating thing....yea I've already sent in videos and made many reports...as well as other people I know. BTW its not a controversy because PGI tends to sweep it under the rug and hoping maybe it'll go away. But there's usually some ******* like me poking them to do their jobs that they promised to do but aren't living up to their end of the bargain. I'm not saying all comp people cheat of course not...and I am definitely not the best...never claimed i was...but usually there ends up being more cheating than people realize in comp groups and probably less than what ******** like me are saying. You're gonna have your Lance Armstrongs and Barry Bond's every so often.

What's funny about this idiocy here is that it completely ignores so many things done in comp play that aren't even remotely GR/PPC combinations.

Have you seen the Gargoyle with SPL running rampant in SL 6v6 lately?

Seriously, this poster needs to calm down, get a grip and learn more about the game. It's just a bad look all around to post nonsense like this that's so entirely out of touch with what you're speaking about.

#43 0111101

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 148 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:42 PM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 29 March 2017 - 05:46 PM, said:

first off all. Omitted builds don't tell me what could work or what doesn't. For all we know there are a multitude of combinations yet to be exploited for good use.

Thx for the article, its only 1 article. Not that the author doesn't make good cases.

I know you're going on 6,000 posts and probably think that makes you a resident expert on what's what in MW:O but honestly, none of your responses in this thread lend you any credibility. People are literally spelling out for you why you're wrong and you're dismissing it out of hand as if you really know better.

One more time in the hope that it sinks in: top competitive players run the builds they do because those builds work the best. They have, over the course of years of competitive league play, determined what works and what does not work. The "omitted" builds you keep going on about are just bad builds compared to the cream of the crop and that's all there is to it. This "multitude of combinations yet to be exploited for good use" you speak of simply does not exist.

#44 Marius Romanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 528 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:43 PM

View PostBombadil, on 29 March 2017 - 07:04 PM, said:

Here's that interview I mentioned.
https://mrbcleague.c...php?storyid=240

I wish they had asked why every summoner was nerfed coz of the Energy hero Side torso omnipod, instead of just putting negative quirks on that omni.

Or why C/UAC10 was nerfed coz of kdk3 instead of just giving kdk3 negativge quirks for the weapon.

Well im excited for russ to announce that were getting a ranked ladder in game. Is this roundtable because not enough people filled out the survey ?

#45 Lukoi Banacek

• 4,353 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:48 PM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 29 March 2017 - 07:44 PM, said:

well, somebody told me before builds like spl gargoyle are just from the worst comp teams. Good one use the GR/PPC combo. Everyone knows that.

don't care.

The fact that you mentioned the number of post is beyond laughable. At least you are funny. At least I can predict you will like your post. Even if the content was garbage

Yep, the "worst teams" are using them and winning with them in specific niche circumstances. Like Domination mode in SL 6v6. This is the point people are trying to get you to understand. GR/PPC is a great way to go in many (probably MOST situations), but competitive players and those into min/maxing/optimizing (call it what you like) prefer to find the best mech/build combinations for the right maps and roles in game.

In most situations, the GAR doesn't get run at all. But it can shine in Domination based leagues with less total players per side and smart teams figured that out and used it. Isen won their match tonight using those mechs (and encountering those mechs occasionally vs NS). Neither of them are teams to be simply ignored as "worst comp teams."

Edited by Lukoi Banacek, 29 March 2017 - 07:51 PM.

#46 Lukoi Banacek

• 4,353 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:57 PM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 29 March 2017 - 07:51 PM, said:

tired of reading nonsense.

Then hopefully you don't spend alot of time going back re-reading your own posts.

Isen just beat NS using GAR's with SPL's.

People didn't believe the 4xGR Kodiak or 4xAC2 H2C had merit either until it was shown in competitive play what niche's they worked in. And the list goes on and on. If you're so concerned about the state of competitive play and how it relates to balance, maybe you should form a team and try out some competitive play in one of the several ongoing leagues. MRBC would be a great place to start out, as they have an introductory division level where your team of diehard Wolf-fans could compete against teams of near the same skill level and maybe you could figure out what works well and what doesn't (as opposed to having someone have to tell you apparently).

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 29 March 2017 - 05:29 PM, said:

Also linking a Article tells me nothing about balancing from a comp perspective. Especially when the comp scene Omits builds, mechs, and gameplay styles. At least from what I understood from certain peoples post.

You'd have a bit more credibility if you actually learned about competitive play (perhaps first hand) rather than being argumentative about it based on what you think you understood from certain peoples post.

#47 YUyahoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:01 PM

View PostOdins Steed, on 29 March 2017 - 04:19 PM, said:

So my unit was asked to give our input on potential comp improvements the other day in preparation for this. These were some of the responses I collected:
---
Match Maker Improvements:
  • Allow solo players to opt into group queue. Reduces wait time, improves match making. Atm if you have two well matched teams except one adds up to 11 it currently has to find a worse match. If you let solos play with groups it can just fill one person in there.
  • Bring QP down to 8v8 for the same reason. Have Scouting as 4v4, QP as 8v8 and CW as 12v12.
  • A return to ELO, or at least overhaul PSR to be zero sum
---

Just an editors note, I do think the Match Maker improvements are important for the game as a whole but ultimately offtopic for a competitive round table.

While it may be kind of off topic I do think this is a huge issue that is long overdue being addressed. PSR greatly needs to be separated from win rate (yes winning is important but in many cases having PSR depend on wins and losses so heavily translates into what the other 11 players on your team do in a match vs your 12 opposing players counts for more than what you do individually in a match...right now PSR will go up for someone who does 120ish damage if the team wins while someone who does 400ish damage in a loss will see their PSR go down, or at best stay even regardless of how well that person did relative to the rest of his/her team). I don't want to hijack the thread or repeat things I have already stated years ago in other posts but the quality (or lack there of) of matchmaking as well as player skill rating calculations seriously need to be addressed.

Edited by YUyahoo, 29 March 2017 - 08:03 PM.

#48 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:01 PM

View PostLukoi Banacek, on 29 March 2017 - 07:57 PM, said:

Isen just beat NS using GAR's with SPL's.

my point exactly.

as for the rest of the eye bleeding post. I didn't even read most of it.

As for the rountable, its not about balance. Gonna be more about structure.

Edited by BLOOD WOLF, 29 March 2017 - 08:34 PM.

#49 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:10 PM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 29 March 2017 - 08:01 PM, said:

my point exactly.

as for the rest of the eye bleeding post. I didn't even read most of it.

total war comp player for 5 years. Was training to be a star craft II comp player(daimond rank). You also never faced me before. How about a friendly match? I love how good people think I am without actually playing against me.

You say in multiple posts that talk about PGI's past to get over it, the same should apply for your non-proven past in regards to games that are not MWO. If you were a good player you would be in a comp unit playing comp but you arent and you still think you can comment on comp stuff when you have no idea. GG

Edited by Carl Vickers, 29 March 2017 - 08:12 PM.

#50 Lukoi Banacek

• 4,353 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:12 PM

View PostCarl Vickers, on 29 March 2017 - 08:10 PM, said:

You say in multiple posts that talk about PGI's past to get over it, the same should apply for your non-proven past in regards to games that are not MWO. If you were a good player you would be a comp unit playing comp but you arent and you still think you can comment on comp stuff when you have no idea. GG

he's a "great player," with a middling average match score, middling KDR (at best) and a below 1 WLR. But he knows better than everyone.

Thank goodness these forums have an ignore feature.

Edited by Lukoi Banacek, 29 March 2017 - 08:12 PM.

#51 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:19 PM

Lol, im not sure any of the best units would have you considering how you are on the forums.

#52 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:31 PM

ugh, maybe I should block some people as well. Getting into it with the same crowd again.

Sorry, back to the topic. Deleted my 2 very off topic post and reported the others, sorry again for that. Just went back and cleaned my own post.

Edited by BLOOD WOLF, 29 March 2017 - 08:38 PM.

#53 Jay Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Deadset Legend
  • Deadset Legend
  • 436 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:38 PM

Spectator improvements:
  • Allow more spectators and also some slots limited to one team's cockpit view so we don't have to suicide spec. This is more for training and scrims but also for shoutcasting.
  • Enable a pilot cockpit view window in the corner of screen while in still in spec cam. This would allow shoutcasters to show a pilot's perspective while maintaining overview of engagement.
  • Option of having a pilot's name in the Tab list and/or on field to flash if they take damage.
  • Fix conquest blue/red cap point bugs. It is misleading for pilots and shoutcasters alike.
  • Fix stuck camera-forward bug.
  • Some sounds in spec cam are from last-specced mech rather than camera location.
  • (a bit out there) LOS raytracing? Toggle for faint white lines showing LOS between all opposing mechs on field. May help showcase ranged trading/scouting.

Lobby improvements:
  • Blind tonnages option in addition to blind lances.
  • Adjustable conquest resource limit and domination cap time.
  • Auto-rejoin on login option. This is for pilots who crash/DC after mulligan conditions.
  • Have multiple spawn sets for each map to be selected from.
  • Swap sides button.

Game improvements:
  • Adjust spawn/objective points at regular intervals (competitive off-seasons?). Refer to Crimson Strait Domination.
  • Show more stats (e.g. damage taken) and make an API to easily ouput these stats from end screenshot to a spreadsheet or *.txt file.
  • Seriously fix terrain hitboxes and rendering please.
* Thought I would post it here as well. Original: https://www.reddit.c..._march_1am_utc/

Edited by Jay Z, 29 March 2017 - 08:39 PM.

#54 Lukoi Banacek

• 4,353 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:39 PM

View PostTercieI, on 29 March 2017 - 08:29 PM, said:

The shocking part is how many of people don't use it considering you're all still seeing his posts to resend to them. Posted Image

Not the case, since I added him to ignore as I stated that :P

#55 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:47 PM

View PostJay Z, on 29 March 2017 - 08:38 PM, said:

Spectator improvements:
  • Allow more spectators and also some slots limited to one team's cockpit view so we don't have to suicide spec. This is more for training and scrims but also for shoutcasting.
  • Enable a pilot cockpit view window in the corner of screen while in still in spec cam. This would allow shoutcasters to show a pilot's perspective while maintaining overview of engagement.
  • Option of having a pilot's name in the Tab list and/or on field to flash if they take damage.
  • Fix conquest blue/red cap point bugs. It is misleading for pilots and shoutcasters alike.
  • Fix stuck camera-forward bug.
  • Some sounds in spec cam are from last-specced mech rather than camera location.
  • (a bit out there) LOS raytracing? Toggle for faint white lines showing LOS between all opposing mechs on field. May help showcase ranged trading/scouting.
Lobby improvements:
  • Blind tonnages option in addition to blind lances.
  • Adjustable conquest resource limit and domination cap time.
  • Auto-rejoin on login option. This is for pilots who crash/DC after mulligan conditions.
  • Have multiple spawn sets for each map to be selected from.
  • Swap sides button.
Game improvements:
  • Adjust spawn/objective points at regular intervals (competitive off-seasons?). Refer to Crimson Strait Domination.
  • Show more stats (e.g. damage taken) and make an API to easily ouput these stats from end screenshot to a spreadsheet or *.txt file.
  • Seriously fix terrain hitboxes and rendering please.
* Thought I would post it here as well. Original: https://www.reddit.c..._march_1am_utc/

I wonder what the time spots for development, I don't see anything happening this year with fixes. Sounds like some mechcon stuff and tidbtits for announcements

View PostLukoi Banacek, on 29 March 2017 - 08:39 PM, said:

Not the case, since I added him to ignore as I stated that Posted Image

If he has me on ignore fine. Guys, and the ones that have a problem with me. Put me on ignore because I am just going to report the post just aimed at me with subtle attacks and other Coc violate actions. I had my fun, but I am over it now. The main response is going to be a report.

Edited by BLOOD WOLF, 29 March 2017 - 08:47 PM.

#56 Cyrilis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • 762 posts
  • LocationRas Alhague Insane Asylum, most of the time in the pen where they lock up the Urbie pilots

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:42 PM

make the MechLab accessible from the lobby pls! Leaving a lobby for an even small change of the mech is ... unconvenient!

#57 Edward Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 255 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:22 PM

View PostDaFrog, on 29 March 2017 - 05:32 PM, said:

not nerfed. Pilot a night gyr and get back to me about poptarts being nerfed...

The Night Gyr is effective, but it is nothing compared to the synchronized Gauss + PPC of the past.

#58 CainenEX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 398 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:41 PM

View PostTercieI, on 29 March 2017 - 08:29 PM, said:

The shocking part is how many of people don't use it considering you're all still seeing his posts to resend to them. Posted Image

I failed to find this. Please teach me sensei.

#59 old man odin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 270 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:42 PM

View PostCainenEX, on 29 March 2017 - 10:41 PM, said:

I failed to find this. Please teach me sensei.

http://mwomercs.com/...ea=ignoredusers

#60 Kael Posavatz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 971 posts
  • LocationOn a quest to find the Star League

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:50 PM

Can someone explain how 'this' is what is needed to improve/fix CW and MWO in general?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users