- - - - -

Couple Questions

9 replies to this topic

#1 boozelord

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 12:59 PM

i come seeking wisdom. my understanding is that for faction play i'll want some flexibility. so like... 30/50/70/90 ton mechs would hit the weight cap, the way i see it.. padding in anything faster than a heavy feels wrong, so ideally my lighter 'mechs recon and strike roles. i want standard engines wherever possible but i'm not sure if that's relevant to the topic.

light: maybe a com-2d with narc and ecm. then... dual srm-2 and a ml?

medium: the tbt-7m with 3 jumpjets, 3 srm-6, and a pair of ml with a standard 275.

heavy: maybe a whm-6r with dual ac/10s and 4 mls.

assault: maybe a hgn with an ac/20 and lasers?

so my questions are, will i be successful with that sort of setup? any advice or commentary could prove useful. once i figure that out, which one should i start on?

#2 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 31 March 2017 - 01:15 PM

Too many variables to give you an accurate answer.

Its going to depend a lot on the map, mode and what the rest of your team is doing.

Also, skip the narc commando

#3 boozelord

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 02:03 PM

hmm... in that case, another light i was looking at was a sdr-5v with 2xmpl and a standard 250. not sure how much damage i could put up, but i could keep going with no side torsos.

#4 CJ Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 222 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 02:39 PM

Nothing wrong with commandos i think they are often just over looked but i have had many matches in the 300-500 range in them. They are tough little brawlers. 3X SRM2's and as much ammo as you can pack is a pretty good build. Normally i would also run an ML for QP because when you run outta ammo your not totally done. The drop deck, when you run out of ammo you can eject and get to another mech so why not just add another ton because 1 ton of ammo is going to add more damage to a shorter time than the single ML.

If you want to run a spider, i think the LPL is the way to go, then maybe an XL-255 or 265 and add JJ's

Personally i don't run lights on my Drop decks, i take Mediums, like a cicada or shadow cat.

#5 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 31 March 2017 - 02:57 PM

with the deck for faction play take your best Mechs, but best is a highly subjective term, e.g. a slow Spider is a dead Spider, on the 5V I would be using an XL280 engine, 2 MPL and 11 Jump Jets, because, in my experiance, the speed and mobility makes if far more durable than the standard engine would (and I have spent A LOT of time in Spiders)

diferant players have diferant skills, what works for me may not work for you, may not work for the other players who have posted in this thread, for example I would do better (as in more damage and probably suvive longer) with the SDR-5V than with the Highlander because I am hopeless with slow Mechs.

most people would be better off with multiple heavies than an assualt, which also leaves you with more tonnage for the lighter Mechs, for 240 tons (I am not sure what the current IS tonage limit is) you could do three 70 tonners (Warhammer, Grasshopper, Archer or Cataphract) with one 30 ton light (Spider or Urbanmech) or if you like the slow heavy Mechs you could do 2 Atlas or King Crab and 2 Locusts.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 31 March 2017 - 02:59 PM.

#6 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 31 March 2017 - 03:51 PM

View Postboozelord, on 31 March 2017 - 02:03 PM, said:

hmm... in that case, another light i was looking at was a sdr-5v with 2xmpl and a standard 250. not sure how much damage i could put up, but i could keep going with no side torsos.

you could, but I think you would be better off using one of the spider builds that inherently carries more firepower (at the cost of an XL engine) such as the 5K champ build (or use a slightly smaller engine and use a LPL instead of ER-LL). Or even the ECM version with a couple of ER-LL, or a LPL and 2x ML etc etc

p.s.

The best thing you can do regardless of what gear you bring to the fight is to simply get experience. Try to figure out how to adapt to different modes and maps. Better yet, if you can drop with an experienced group then you can really learn what is effective and ideal.

Edited by Boogie138, 31 March 2017 - 04:09 PM.

#7 boozelord

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 05:40 PM

hm... i could get a slightly heavier light/medium and then maybe a 65 and 85 tonner. i've always liked strikes, and i do want to keep one bug around, but then i'm left with weight left over so i thought i'd grab a heavy and an assault. like i said, i'm new to the game, but my instincts tell me to roll a medium with a standard engine instead of packing a heavy full of ammo and throwing an xl in it.

#8 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 31 March 2017 - 05:58 PM

Okay, without getting all 3025 up in here, I do like the Highlander as a solid starter mech. Something like the
HGN-733C can brawl beautifully, but has the range to harass if you get caught in on a none invasion match.

As for mediums, I totally agree with doing without the XL, and feel your choice is a fine brawler. Also, for the Narc-mando. Chat with your team pre-drop. If folk wanna drop lrms, bring it to narc targets. Have fun, wreck some mechs.

~Leone.

#9 boozelord

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:03 PM

thanks! i might go with the spider instead for general-purpose and worry about narc as a situational alternative. i do got a soft-spot in my heart for oldtech. the worst that can happen is that i live up to my name.

i decided to go with this one as my first mech. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e4488afd78ec241

any advices on how to survive the phase of the game where everyone pads in this mech so i can bring the pain? i tried a few different strategies and all end with me engaging while my team is 500+ meters away hiding behind a rock. i don't see a really good time to jump in.

Edited by boozelord, 31 March 2017 - 09:50 PM.

#10 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 01 April 2017 - 12:43 AM

View Postboozelord, on 31 March 2017 - 07:03 PM, said:

any advices on how to survive the phase of the game where everyone pads in this mech so i can bring the pain? i tried a few different strategies and all end with me engaging while my team is 500+ meters away hiding behind a rock. i don't see a really good time to jump in.

try speeking up on coms, mention that you are a short range build and ask if any others want to flank with you, if you can get 3-4 Mechs ready to hit the enemy from the side or behind, and get the allies to push at the same time (I know, a lot to ask from a Pick Up Group) that gives your side a massive advantage against the enemy PUG team.
in solo queue coordinated teamwork is by far the most overpowered thing you can have

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users