So Will The New Civil War Release Plan Be The New Model?

20 replies to this topic

#1 King Kahuna

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 114 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 03:57 PM

So with the Civil War mech release PGI has offered 4 mechs instead of their normal one new mech a month. I was curious if anyone has read anywhere if this will be the new model going forward.

Potentialy this would bring in a increase of orders as you have a chance of 4 times the potential sales. I know that several of my friends have already ordered all of the Civil War units. Personally I have 2 of the units on order and may add the other 2. Whales will most likely spend even more on the game. With 4 offerings PGI is also much more likely to have a unit that more of the player base views as a "must" buy. PGI also has the ability to offer more fringe or classic units that competitive players would not purchase.

There is a possibility to see many more units in game. What are your thoughts?

#2 BLOOD WOLF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 31 March 2017 - 03:59 PM

I wouldn't be surprised. They actually have been following a set dev cycle for awile. Where they plan items on a far beyond dates so they have time to work on them. That they they can focus down one feature at a time

#3 King Kahuna

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 114 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 04:14 PM

There is a part of me that would love to see this. 1st for the mechs themselves, 2nd for the increased resources that PGI would have to invest in new content. New maps and game modes would be great.

#4 MauttyKoray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 04:36 PM

I prefer the 1 by 1 release honestly, as it seems the quality of the mech modeling ends up for the better. With the 4 mech packs there was always a mech or two that was a little off in quality compared to the others. -cough enforcer cough panther cough-

#5 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 04:56 PM

Mechs are the prime source of income for PGI, the FCCW-era offers many popular Mechs, and I am not sure for how long MWO will be around after MW:5M is released.
I think it makes sense to speed up the production of Mechs to quickly sell the fan favourites (Nova Cat e.g.). Also, the four Mech-pack increases the chances that some less well known but possibly enriching Mechs come into the game. So that's good. Unless the quality of the models declines I don't see many negatives.

#6 King Kahuna

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 114 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:41 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 31 March 2017 - 04:56 PM, said:

Mechs are the prime source of income for PGI, the FCCW-era offers many popular Mechs, and I am not sure for how long MWO will be around after MW:5M is released.
I think it makes sense to speed up the production of Mechs to quickly sell the fan favourites (Nova Cat e.g.). Also, the four Mech-pack increases the chances that some less well known but possibly enriching Mechs come into the game. So that's good. Unless the quality of the models declines I don't see many negatives.

This is kind of what my thoughts have been drifting towards. I do think we have time until we see MechWarrior 5 released. That being said it makes sense to give a chance for more mechs to see the light of day. With more in game units, HBG also has more to pull from.

#7 kuma8877

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 691 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:55 PM

I might think we may see 2 a month. 1 Spheroid, 1 Clammer (going long with the civil war theme). Seems an easy way to increase sales/revenue as MW5 gets it's legs under it, without over saturating the player base and the in-house workload.

#8 kuma8877

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 691 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:14 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 31 March 2017 - 04:56 PM, said:

MW5 is clearly the play to hold the license past 2018. PGI has kind of committed to the franchise going forward. I would expect MWO 2.0 after MW5 running on Unreal. Though, there is an offhand chance (however small) that Lumberyard could also be an option which could help get PGI the engine support they desperately need (as Cryengine is falling apart). Amazon is a heck of a partner for an online game based on Cryengine.... I wonder if anyone has given that any thought at PGI?

Despite the massive reworks to Cryengine that the Star Citizen team have done (far above and away more custom than MWO), the transfer to Lumberyard was just a couple of days and a couple of engineers worth of work. I think MWO (correct me if I'm wrong) is running on a similar version to SC as it's base. Could be another, less expensive (in rewriting the entire game in Unreal) alternative with an astronomical amount of engine and server backend support that UE4 doesn't provide. Food for thought I guess?

The support for Lumberyard with Amazon, is one of the reasons I think that SC can actually be a successful MMO in the long run (solid frame rates, no traditional instancing, capital ship warfare, etc.). Amazon is a juggernaut with the funds to research and implement just about anything with a global server network that is almost unmatched...

#9 King Kahuna

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 114 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:48 PM

View Postkuma8877, on 31 March 2017 - 08:14 PM, said:

MW5 is clearly the play to hold the license past 2018. PGI has kind of committed to the franchise going forward. I would expect MWO 2.0 after MW5 running on Unreal. Though, there is an offhand chance (however small) that Lumberyard could also be an option which could help get PGI the engine support they desperately need (as Cryengine is falling apart). Amazon is a heck of a partner for an online game based on Cryengine.... I wonder if anyone has given that any thought at PGI?

Despite the massive reworks to Cryengine that the Star Citizen team have done (far above and away more custom than MWO), the transfer to Lumberyard was just a couple of days and a couple of engineers worth of work. I think MWO (correct me if I'm wrong) is running on a similar version to SC as it's base. Could be another, less expensive (in rewriting the entire game in Unreal) alternative with an astronomical amount of engine and server backend support that UE4 doesn't provide. Food for thought I guess?

The support for Lumberyard with Amazon, is one of the reasons I think that SC can actually be a successful MMO in the long run (solid frame rates, no traditional instancing, capital ship warfare, etc.). Amazon is a juggernaut with the funds to research and implement just about anything with a global server network that is almost unmatched...

I would love to see a new game engine. Now your just messing with my emotions. :)

#10 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 31 March 2017 - 09:14 PM

View PostKing Kahuna, on 31 March 2017 - 08:48 PM, said:

I would love to see a new game engine. Now your just messing with my emotions. Posted Image

New game engine will come out for Mechwarrior: Online when MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries is released.

#11 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 09:17 PM

I would be okay if it was just two a month. One Clan and One IS. Bad enough we have to wait so long for the actual release, but then wait an additional month if you're a faction loyalist.

#12 RAM

• The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 2,019 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 01 April 2017 - 12:37 AM

Do not confuse four simultaneous individual mech releases with the four mech packs.

RAM
ELH

#13 King Kahuna

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 114 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 12:41 AM

View PostRAM, on 01 April 2017 - 12:37 AM, said:

Do not confuse four simultaneous individual mech releases with the four mech packs.

RAM
ELH

If they do release the new skill tree this might be a slice of the future. 3 mech needs would go way down.

#14 MauttyKoray

• 2,831 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 07:05 PM

View PostRAM, on 01 April 2017 - 12:37 AM, said:

RAM
ELH

The confusion only hinges on the method of sale. Their work flow would seem like it would need to be roughly the same as when they worked on the 4 mech packs as it will with this 4 mech release. That's the problem and the potential downfall of this release, as every 4 mech pack up to this point has had at least 1 mech of lower model quality.

#15 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 01 April 2017 - 08:24 PM

View PostKing Kahuna, on 31 March 2017 - 03:57 PM, said:

So with the Civil War mech release PGI has offered 4 mechs instead of their normal one new mech a month. I was curious if anyone has read anywhere if this will be the new model going forward.

Potentialy this would bring in a increase of orders as you have a chance of 4 times the potential sales. I know that several of my friends have already ordered all of the Civil War units. Personally I have 2 of the units on order and may add the other 2. Whales will most likely spend even more on the game. With 4 offerings PGI is also much more likely to have a unit that more of the player base views as a "must" buy. PGI also has the ability to offer more fringe or classic units that competitive players would not purchase.

There is a possibility to see many more units in game. What are your thoughts?

You mean going back to the old formula? Founders was four mechs, Phoenix etc.

#16 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:19 PM

I decided not to buy any of the civil war pack because the standard packs didnt come with 30 days of premium time.

I prefer the old pricing model where I got 30 days of premium time

#17 King Kahuna

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 114 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:31 PM

View PostKhobai, on 01 April 2017 - 10:19 PM, said:

I decided not to buy any of the civil war pack because the standard packs didnt come with 30 days of premium time.

I prefer the old pricing model where I got 30 days of premium time

The lack of premium time is bothering me as well. I do like color options and decals but C-bills and premium time are expected at this point.

#18 King Kahuna

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 114 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:34 PM

View PostMauttyKoray, on 01 April 2017 - 07:05 PM, said:

The confusion only hinges on the method of sale. Their work flow would seem like it would need to be roughly the same as when they worked on the 4 mech packs as it will with this 4 mech release. That's the problem and the potential downfall of this release, as every 4 mech pack up to this point has had at least 1 mech of lower model quality.

I also have notice the lack of viability of some mechs. The point is that some want to see iconic mechs in game that are not really that great. Take for instance the people wanting a Stinger. Its a great classic mech that may not translate very well into MWO. If they did release 4 at once it would take some pressure off needing every chassis to be the next meta starter.

#19 King Kahuna

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 09:41 PM

Called it, looks like the 4 mech release will be the new model. I have mixed thoughts on this.

1st: We are much more likely to see at least one unit we want to order and maybe more. Greatly increased fun factor of getting the mechs we have been hoping for.

2nd: We are much more likely to see at least one unit we want to order and my need to sigh up for counseling to save our pocket books.

How do you feel about the new structure?

#20 StealthdragonB

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 100 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 12:30 AM

I don't mind the 4 mech pack model, mainly because it favours lights more when compared to the old model, where we just got spammed other classes. Lights have only ever been released alone twice, in the form of the urbanmech, which people had to beg for, and the Javelin, which is really the only occasion in which it has truly occurred with no other influences. Case in point the origins IIC pack, and both of the civil war packs come with a light.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users