They Should Ban Newbies From Assault Mechs!

89 replies to this topic

#1 Pr8Dator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,306 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSeoul, Korea

Posted 05 April 2017 - 06:52 AM

So sick and tired of seeing a noob in a supernova or altas rush blindly into a horde of enemies and dying like they think assault mechs are invincible, and then the team loses! Please stop this noobishness!

#2 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:07 AM

yes, this is why I support a proper R&R system. I can tell within the first 3 minutes of a match if its going to be a loss or not depending on how my assaults position themselves. I really should start piloting them but I had slow mechs

#3 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:07 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 05 April 2017 - 07:07 AM, said:

yes, this is why I support a proper R&R system. I can tell within the first 3 minutes of a match if its going to be a loss or not depending on how my assaults position themselves. I really should start piloting them but I had slow mechs

R&R is, was, and will forever be mediocre™

#4 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:08 AM

View Postcazidin, on 05 April 2017 - 07:07 AM, said:

R&R is, was, and will forever be mediocre™

Why do you think I used the word "proper".

#5 Pr8Dator

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,306 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSeoul, Korea

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:13 AM

in my very last game, the king crab rushed into a group and got killed killing nothing... we got bulllldozed after... sigh...

#6 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:13 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 05 April 2017 - 07:08 AM, said:

Why do you think I used the word "proper".

Here's the thing, a proper R&R system still just increases the amount you earn to compensate. Generally speaking, you'll notice about a 5% difference in earnings but it penalizes newer players or ammo mechs the most. Unless your system changes that somehow?

#7 Anunknownlurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 362 posts
  • LocationBetween here and there

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:14 AM

and of course pros like you never make a mistake? Get a life.

#8 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:16 AM

O.M.G NOT THIS AGAIN !

Shoo ! get off the grass

#9 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:19 AM

View PostPr8Dator, on 05 April 2017 - 06:52 AM, said:

So sick and tired of seeing a noob in a supernova or altas rush blindly into a horde of enemies and dying like they think assault mechs are invincible, and then the team loses! Please stop this noobishness!

Everyone was a noob once. Increase your PSR and reach T1, and you will see less such instances, as you will never group with T5s.

View PostJimmy DiGriz, on 05 April 2017 - 07:14 AM, said:

and of course pros like you never make a mistake? Get a life.

OP's own stats are pretty bad. He seems to be just as much of a detriment to his team as the noobs he complain about.

Edited by El Bandito, 05 April 2017 - 07:51 AM.

#10 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:20 AM

View Postcazidin, on 05 April 2017 - 07:13 AM, said:

Here's the thing, a proper R&R system still just increases the amount you earn to compensate. Generally speaking, you'll notice about a 5% difference in earnings but it penalizes newer players or ammo mechs the most. Unless your system changes that somehow?

AC weapons should technically be more powerful than energy weapons. In Lore, medium lasers barely damaged assault mechs.

Edited by mogs01gt, 05 April 2017 - 07:20 AM.

#11 FreeFragUK

• PipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 33 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:20 AM

Just to play devils advocated, if someone wishes to play an assault mech then sooner or later you will end up with someone who is in the process of learning their usage. Your proposal simply doesn't work. Yes ok, after x amount of matches and experience you should be able to read the map better, the strategic situation and the qualities of your team but inevitably with any assault that fulfils a frontline a role lives and dies largely by the support it receives.

I've seen many times where an assault has attempted to spearhead a push and their team mates have faltered, hesitated or stood their like a pack of lemons.

While it is frustrating when someone ploughs into the enemy frontline and dies putting the team 80 - 100 tons down, it is frustrating but you can't always pin the blame on the assault when they're probably trying to open up an opportunity for their team to seize advantage of.

If it bothers you that much then take a note of their name, get them on your friends list and offer to help them. Offer to pass on your knowledge and expertise with reading the battlefield and try to help them learn when to push and when to exercise patience.

People are quick to complain but that is all they do. Complain. Do something about it. Complaining isn't a solution to this issue.

#12 Maker L106

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 250 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:21 AM

As an assault mech rookie, I understand the concept but really all the new guys need is a director. There have been a lot of matches where I'm in my Mad-IIC with various configurations / Dakka Mauler, K Crab etc: where there's no one calling targets or giving any weight class specific instructions and the team isn't so much a team as a bunch of Yaks who try to use their individual skills to win the match. sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

Consider if you're knowledgeable about assault mechs and you see a guy who has NO clue what he's doing in one and can tell early enough to open a communication with them, even if its just text, that's something any new guy who honestly wants to learn assaults will appreciate greatly. I know i certainly do. I'm a bad assault pilot, I have no allusions otherwise, but give me direction, position, or a target and I'll approach that with near ironclad adherence to the order given. Granted not all players are willing to do that, but again the guys who are, and are willing to stick around after defeat and listen / watch the game greatly GREATLY appreciate those who communicate with them.

Learning assaults is something I went from reading on the forums, asking for help here, to doing badly and slowly dragging myself from completely useless waste of weight to a slightly less useless waste of weight, and as time goes by when i get the chance / time I continue that when I can.

Even if they're wallet warriors so to speak, never completely dismiss the possibility they might actually REALLY like what they spent money on but are incapable of handling it and need assistance to get it where it should be.

#13 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:21 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 05 April 2017 - 07:20 AM, said:

AC weapons should technically be more powerful than energy weapons. In Lore, medium lasers barely damaged assault mechs.

Should and are is the difference between what we'd like to have, and what we got.

#14 AphexTwin11

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 398 posts
  • LocationLooking right through you, with somniferous almond eyes

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:23 AM

The First three minutes eh? I'd say it takes at 5 minutes minimum for all the fatties to catch up with everyone else! Posted Image

#15 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:30 AM

Maybe you should have been following behind them, using them as meatsheilds in response to why your average matchscore was low in yesterday's topic you posted.

Edited by Spheroid, 05 April 2017 - 07:39 AM.

#16 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:41 AM

View Postcazidin, on 05 April 2017 - 07:21 AM, said:

Should and are is the difference between what we'd like to have, and what we got.

no argument there

#17 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:44 AM

I don't think you have the authority to demand this sort of thing.

I'll just say, a friend that got me into MWO advised me not to play assaults, and for the longest time I played almost exclusively lights and mediums. When I picked up an assault for the first time (the good ole champion king crab-- before the dakka bear was a thing) I pulled my first 1k match and earned the johnny 5 achievement.

Since then I've stuck to stuff with moar guns-- heavies and assaults. I'm simply bad at lights and mediums.

#18 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:46 AM

You are right. Noobs should be restricted to Night Gyrs and WarHammers, since those mechs will give them the best odds of survival. And Skilled players should only be allowed to drive Quarantines and mist lynxs to keep everything fair, since they need the least help.

.... Or.... You can accept the fact that the noob in the assault mech will be on the enemy team just as often as your own team, which means the current situation of noobs in assaults has Zero net influence on how often you win and lose.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 05 April 2017 - 07:47 AM.

#19 Lorcryst NySell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 533 posts
  • LocationBetween Chair and Keyboard

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:03 AM

You want less noobs, better players ?

TEACH THEM HOW TO PLAY !

Well, not you particularly since you admit you're quite bad, me neither since I'm still learning how to "be gud", but I've seen on these forums and heard on VOIP and read ingame several veterans willing to help and tell what we/me did good, did bad, and what to do right.

Complaining about newbies on a forum read by 10% of the game's population just make you look like a tool.

#20 Roadbuster

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,437 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:40 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 05 April 2017 - 07:19 AM, said:

Everyone was a noob once. Increase your PSR and reach T1, and you will see less such instances, as you will never group with T5s.

OP's own stats are pretty bad. He seems to be just as much of a detriment to his team than the noobs he complain about.

Hehe, T1...meeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaans...wait for it...

Posted Image

Tiers don't matter in group queue (obviously), and I doubt some of the players I see in solo queue are higher than T4. (Yes I am T1)
I'm not talking about the stupid mistakes everyone makes now and then. I mean the very basic things like independent leg and torso movement or locking targets.

I'd like to see additional tutorial missions for different mech roles and weight classes.
Many new players seem to think they will have the highest survival and kill chance in an assault mech, just to get killed by a light mech before the fight even starts.

What if players were only allowed to buy a certain weight class, if they played the tutorial for it?
That may take 5-10 minutes, but it might show players what to expect before they rush into the shop with their CB to buy a mech they can't handle.

The thing I hate is, when the team calls a push, and half of the pushing mechs run back behind cover and hide as soon as they see enemy fire, letting their teammates die for nothing, just to follow them shortly after.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users