33 replies to this topic

#1 CK16

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:01 PM

Be something fun imo. Either have it have set mechs by your faction. Or you set like 4 favorite mechs in there. Of course one bay always shows the selected mech ect. If to much loading time ect have it be disabled/enabled and goes to current mode. But yes I would enjoy walking aroud a mech bay with some action going around.

#2 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,435 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:15 PM

Maybe with the possible MW5 game engine upgrade.

Don't hold your breath. Great idea though.

#3 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:52 PM

First person Mech Lab/Hangar is only available in Single Player mode.

#4 RAM

• The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 2,019 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:59 PM

Alex's (iirc) VR demo of this was pretty awesome! Posted Image

RAM
ELH

#5 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:16 PM

When they revealed MW5 at Mechcon. People were upset in the stream chat. They thought it was exactly this. Just a mechbay free roam module.

#6 Erronius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:30 PM

Can PGI afford to dedicate the manpower to implement this? And if they can, would it be a wise investment of resources if there isn't something in it for PGI? Would PGI consider trying it if they could also sell appearance items to players for their avatars to help offset the development cost, as well as creating another way to generate demand for MC?

I only bring this up because this has happened before in other games. Obviously there's a world of difference between MWO and EVE, and PGI and CCP, but I can't imagine PGI would ever consider allocating the resources to put something like this together unless there was a way to monetize it.

EVE players clamored for this for years, and when they finally got it, there were so many downsides and gotchas that the playerbase LITERALLY rioted and it got pulled. Now the odds of CCP going back to try it again are pretty close to zero because they don't want to get burned again.

Posted Image

#7 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 06 April 2017 - 01:33 AM

It was actually "planned" for MWO back in 2012, but like so many other things it was lies Their Position at the TimeTM and got shafted very shortly. If you can find the trailer video it is all there. Coming SoonTM.

#8 Erronius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:37 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 06 April 2017 - 01:33 AM, said:

It was actually "planned" for MWO back in 2012, but like so many other things it was lies Their Position at the TimeTM and got shafted very shortly. If you can find the trailer video it is all there. Coming SoonTM.

I don't remember it, but then again, there are a lot of things that I can't remember from 2012, LOL. I don't doubt that it was on some sort of design doc at the time and got axed at a later date, along with a lot of other things.

I do remember having brief discussions with Russ/Bryan/various Devs on the DHB TS channel, I think it was. I never had the impression that they were lying...more like they were trying to be very careful with what they said and not promise anything. Even then I think it was becoming clear that they were going to have to scale their aspirations back a great deal if they ever wanted to actually get a working game out the gate...

#9 Humpday

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:55 PM

Open world with a farcry size map would be freaking dope.

You could stroll up to your nears pub, park your mech(no idea how that mechanic would work)...grab a beer and a merc contract off a mission board or meet people that want to play that contract and run with it.

You could then stomp across the map randomly killing bandits or other innocent players minding their own business if you please(but this lowers your faction reputation yielding less contracts)...and have an insane variation of land topology. Fights would rarely if never happen at the same locations...over...and over...and over again.

I think its a great idea...but you need to build a solid game flow with in depth, complex objectives to give the game substance...or else you'll get bored just walking to get to the fight.

I'd be awesome to have objectives like...ok you need to wipe out this lance of assaults but all you can field are 2 meds 2 heavies, 1 light and 3 heavy...ect ect, any variation of a mixed lanced, no 4 man locust lances(shudder, going up against that wolf pack in anything will make you cry). You do some scouting and you find out that there is a comm relay station that controls all player-to-player communication in that enemy assault lance.

So now, you blow that thing away, and now the assaults can't coordinate one another other than using line of sight tactics or possible restrict them to having to type on the keyboard which leaves them vulnerable and is nearly impossible in the middle of a brawl.

The kicker here is that you do not know previously about the comm site existing when you drop...or else you'll always go for it right away. You have to go out and scout it, and maybe it has 1-2 urbies as guards with a couple tanks such that you have to earn the kill of the comm site and take some damage but still have enough armor to complete the main objective.

Now for the enemy assaults, their comms will do down, so now to react and survive they have to make it to some other tactical location(maybe close, maybe far) and possibly call for reinforcements to help...this is probably gives the assaults too much of an advantage but use your imagination...i dunno maybe make it so that there is only a small window before calling for help is nullified in turn making the defending players think twice b4 sending one of their own to signal for help(but remember their comms are down so this strategy will have to be discussed prior to the mission starts amonst that team)...leaving the assault lance 1 less mech to defend with.

Anyway this creates meaningful roles for light/fast meds instead of...yo go out find out where they are so we can skirmish.

You could even have it to where the enemy sets up a dummy comm site which instead warns the enemy that an enemy is in the vicinity, and where...but you as the attack are unaware the you just blew up a false comm-site and are actually walking into a coordinated group of assaults!!! Its a trap!!!

It also makes people have to think about what action to take. Do I stay here with the rest and defend, or go call for help? Do I go out and find that comm station...leaving my lance 2 mechs weak, and risk hitting the false comm station? Is it worth it?

Ugh..the possibilities!!!

Oh damn...didn't realized I wrote that much...

tl;dr...yeah i'd be cool

#10 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 06 April 2017 - 01:01 PM

Would be sweet, but the models don't have enough detail to look good from the perspective of 6ft off the ground. Thats a dev saying that, not me. https://mwomercs.com...56#entry5681956 Thats why the MW5 demo started with it, everyone knows its cool and everyone wants it, but its not coming to MWO.

What may be a nice compromise are people walking around the mechbay and working on the mechs. Make the screen feel alive and give the mechs a sense of scale while we browse our mechlabs.

Edited by Roughneck45, 06 April 2017 - 01:03 PM.

#11 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 01:52 PM

Amount of income to be generated by this idea = ZERO

Odds of implementation at this stage = LESS THAN ZERO

#12 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 07 April 2017 - 05:49 AM

Wait wait wait...

Didn't I suggest this like a year ago, when the Academy showed us that taking a pilot out of the cockpit was something PGI has learned to do?

There's a topic with about a gazillion ideas about this exact thing made by me and The Arisen (something like customizable mech bay or something like that)..

Aaaaaaanyway... Yeah.. still a great idea..

The aforementioned topic had many ideas, and the general consensus was - yes, we want to be able to walk around in the mech bay, and not just there, but many other rooms, like walking around in a fully customizable base, with all kinds of stuff we could edit and spend money on..

Think one room for every tab in the main screen + trophy room + mechipedia..

But alas... new mech pack.. :-(

#13 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 07 April 2017 - 05:56 AM

View PostTLBFestus, on 06 April 2017 - 01:52 PM, said:

Amount of income to be generated by this idea = ZERO

Odds of implementation at this stage = LESS THAN ZERO

Wrong.. The rooms would be customizable, and we could spend MC on things like banners, decals, specialty items, trophies.. it's actually one of the best revenue ideas for PGI..

And it would cost less than a new map, cose' they already have the main hangar bay modeled and working..

Edited by Vellron2005, 07 April 2017 - 05:57 AM.

#14 Marius Romanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 528 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 06:25 AM

JUST go to the farkin academy and look at your mechs there

#15 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 April 2017 - 07:55 AM

i think that would be awesome, kinda like what you do in the tutorial getting out of your mech. Maybe the guy who created the tutorial could work on something like this. But, the main thing is that resources aren't taken away from vital new content.

#16 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 07 April 2017 - 10:12 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 07 April 2017 - 05:49 AM, said:

Wait wait wait...

Didn't I suggest this like a year ago, when the Academy showed us that taking a pilot out of the cockpit was something PGI has learned to do?

I suggested it not too long after the game was release from beta

#17 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 07 April 2017 - 11:46 AM

View PostMechaBattler, on 05 April 2017 - 09:16 PM, said:

When they revealed MW5 at Mechcon. People were upset in the stream chat. They thought it was exactly this. Just a mechbay free roam module.

I was one of the people who thought it was a mission system with a life sized hangar. Where you could bask in the glory of your mech and, maybe, doing daily missons either solo/coop/pvp or just hang in there waiting to drop. Two things id like to have. The hangar being one thing they can monetize in many ways and keep adding features over time.

The excuse that the texturing isnt good enough is a lame one. We had crap textures for patterns on most mech for years before they were updated and we still played. They stated they wouldn't update those pattern textures too because reasons i dont remember but in the end they did it. We had and still have crap mechbay lightning, camera and no customisability. Adding such a feature would be a popular one and an easy one to monetize. You can have many different hangar or bases each sold separately. They could sell you a blank map with blocks to build your own base and showcasing your mech to yourself or friends that can visit(like path of exile hideout). many people have braistormed different ideas, all valid, all able to be monetised

#18 NextGame

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationHaggis Country

Posted 07 April 2017 - 11:57 AM

I want a free roam mech bay where i can waste 30+ mins of my team mates time wandering amongst my 300+ mechs trying to find the right one

#19 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 07 April 2017 - 12:21 PM

View PostNextGame, on 07 April 2017 - 11:57 AM, said:

I want a free roam mech bay where i can waste 30+ mins of my team mates time wandering amongst my 300+ mechs trying to find the right one

Pro: You tried to think.

Con: You failed miserably.

#20 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 07 April 2017 - 12:29 PM

AR...HangAR.Posted Image

14 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users