Weapons

404 replies to this topic

#41 Napoleon_Blownapart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:05 AM

most of the hate is probably caused by the match maker, when you pick your short range mech b4 seeing your map choices are alpine grim frozen or polar, or the enemy team is very missile heavy(its not like matches are balanced by weapon types or amount of ecm on a team)and who hasn't seen a light narcing and noone has missiles or the lrm boat who can't hit anything cause he has no target decay module.

not to pick a fight but an lrm assault being alive when most of the team is dead makes me wonder...

Edited by Gorantir, 06 April 2017 - 10:11 AM.

#42 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:10 AM

View PostCoolant, on 06 April 2017 - 08:27 AM, said:

Its not the weapon, it's that an lrm mech can hide and still do damage. There is no risk to themselves and they get damage for free, increase match score for free, get cbills for free. They dont even need to see a target - they can use other's work who actually engage the enemy for locks.

I know there are different playstyles, and i dont want to say they are acting cowardly, but it is something to think about for those that use missiles.

and yet, when you are effed up and getting harrased by that Light that is going to kill you, and LRMs from out of the blue chop it's legs off... do you stop and say "thx for the assist"?

I actually had a guy cryign for help, "Lights on me", that I told "On my way, hold locks" only to get the response.. "I'm not holding locks to pad your score"... and so the ******* gets killed. I was on my way to help the guy, but was 700 meters away with terrain between us. I could have been sending LRMs in while closing and possibly saved the guy (my harasser VND-1AA is 4x MLs and an aLRM15..because wtf else to do with a single missile hardpoint? And the thing has worked well for me since they were introduced)

Likewise my ZEU-6S has a single LRM15, backing up it's AC10 and 4x MPL. Mostly because yes, I need missiles in the RA of my Zeus. But also because with the 360xl engine I favor in it for mobility, the 4xMPL and AC10 eat up my heat cap pretty fast anyhow, but it's nice to be able to fire in on opponents while closing, give assists without LoS, if needed, etc.

Prejudice over common sense (like all prejudice).

Simple fact is, "cowardice" is endemic with ALL weapon types, it's just more easy to paint with LRMs because of the basic mechanic. But the whole team that hides and dies slowly trying to peek with "sniper" builds is just as cowardly, and usually just as ineffective.

I've also seen people who do to age, disability or poor hardware/connection have to use LRMs to contribute. Sorry I'm not elitist enough to say they shouldn't play. I've had those night's here in mexico where my Ping was terrible, or where my hands were in so much pain from arthritis it was hard to grip my mouse well. Or nights where I simply am not clicking at all, but still want some stompy robot fun, so I bring out my Archer or base CPLT-C1. And yep, I will gladly use non LoS locks if provided. NARCs appreciated. But then I am also always trying to maneuver to get my own locks, but especially early on in a heavily PPFLD meta? Poking initially to get that lock, especially with everyone else hiding like cowards? Just a good way to get a face full of PPC/Gauss long before I ever get a lock to fire back.

So yeah, LRMs do need work, but I do get realyl tired of seeing the stupidity posted about "LRMs bad, people who lrm bad, uninstall".

Those folk are welcome to uninstall my foot from their ***.

#43 BabyCakes666

• Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:14 AM

View PostArctourus, on 06 April 2017 - 09:54 AM, said:

It's funny how people on both sides are cherry picking best of the best videos from excellent players as proof that their side is better. Only proves the point. To do well on either, you need to have a good pilot.

dont make sense your going to make there heads explode

#44 James Argent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:16 AM

If you mean that it's so vastly overused that invoking it has lost any real meaning...then yes, LRM hate is just like racism.

But back to the actual issue. I don't use LRMs that often, even as an additional weapon on a build using various weapon systems...those hardpoints are always reserved for SRM backups. But I keep a couple boats in my hangar because a guy in my unit is really talented with them and we sometimes pair up to add my LRMs to his, which when coordinated well ends up with a lot of dead enemy mechs. I also boated one variant during the Huntsman leaderboards because absolutely everyone was 'hunting the Huntsman' and I wanted to see if I could do better that way. It was pretty much a wash in terms of my leaderboard positions.

Last night in an Assault match on Mining Collective, though, I spectated a guy in a King Crab sit totally immobile about 1000 meters from the enemy base and lob his single LRM10 toward (can't really say 'at') enemy mechs over 1400 meters away over by our own base. He had to be able to see his missiles detonate just past the apex of their arc. He used only his direct fire weapons when enemies were actually in range of his LRMs. His armor was pretty fresh, so it wasn't as if he was just retiring from a brawl and trying to contribute more before dying. We were winning, so I didn't say anything...but I probably should have.

So I understand the frustration LRMs can cause, but I also know their utility if they're used properly.

#45 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:22 AM

View PostJames Argent, on 06 April 2017 - 10:16 AM, said:

If you mean that it's so vastly overused that invoking it has lost any real meaning...then yes, LRM hate is just like racism.

But back to the actual issue. I don't use LRMs that often, even as an additional weapon on a build using various weapon systems...those hardpoints are always reserved for SRM backups. But I keep a couple boats in my hangar because a guy in my unit is really talented with them and we sometimes pair up to add my LRMs to his, which when coordinated well ends up with a lot of dead enemy mechs. I also boated one variant during the Huntsman leaderboards because absolutely everyone was 'hunting the Huntsman' and I wanted to see if I could do better that way. It was pretty much a wash in terms of my leaderboard positions.

Last night in an Assault match on Mining Collective, though, I spectated a guy in a King Crab sit totally immobile about 1000 meters from the enemy base and lob his single LRM10 toward (can't really say 'at') enemy mechs over 1400 meters away over by our own base. He had to be able to see his missiles detonate just past the apex of their arc. He used only his direct fire weapons when enemies were actually in range of his LRMs. His armor was pretty fresh, so it wasn't as if he was just retiring from a brawl and trying to contribute more before dying. We were winning, so I didn't say anything...but I probably should have.

So I understand the frustration LRMs can cause, but I also know their utility if they're used properly.

and yet that same level of bad player would fire his SRMs at 500 meters, large lasers past 1000, etc, too.

So it's not the weapon, but the potato, that is the issue with your example.

#46 Erronius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:33 AM

I never expected LRMS in MWO to be the next front in the battle for Social Justice...

#47 Alexander of Macedon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:35 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 06 April 2017 - 10:22 AM, said:

and yet that same level of bad player would fire his SRMs at 500 meters, large lasers past 1000, etc, too.

So it's not the weapon, but the potato, that is the issue with your example.

Yeah, but at those ranges he would at least be drawing fire.

#48 dario03

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:42 AM

Hey you don't choose the race that you enter into life with.
You do choose to enter into a match with LRMs though.

#49 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:45 AM

View Postdario03, on 06 April 2017 - 10:42 AM, said:

Hey you don't choose the race that you enter into life with.
You do choose to enter into a match with LRMs though.

But what if I identify with LRMs?

I don't care what the accident of birth says, I AM LRM!

#50 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:55 AM

I'm a lrm pocket racist I dont want them anywhere around me but I don't say it in game :)

Edited by Monkey Lover, 06 April 2017 - 10:58 AM.

#51 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:07 AM

I think OP should get a grip on reality. Lurm hate is like racism. k den.

<meme gif>

#52 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:10 AM

Because calling out bads with LRMs is just like institutionalized racism. Also, trying to call a drop in QP is exactly like being a {Godwin's Law}.

Because sense of proportion is not just OP but is, in fact, haxx and probably against forum ToS.

#53 Alstren

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 263 posts
  • LocationNext door to PGI's North American server room

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:12 AM

Man is OP a Kotaku writer? That thread name is fantastic. But while were chewing the scenery LRM boating is not a race its a choice a choice to ask your team mates to tank for you and be focus fired because you'd rather hide in back and spread damage in hopes of clearing 300 damage so you can justify to your self that you some how contributed. Even though your team would have been better off with an extra mech pushing along side them spreading out the enemy's damage and and being able to shoot at SPECIFIC components instead of spreading it all over them. Further more while I rant Assault mechs LRM boating puts their team at even more of a disadvantage as on top of having less mechs doing the actual fighting their down one of their three or four assault mechs giving the enemy a huge advantage in firepower. By LRM boating your not "supporting" your team your handicapping it. Now I'am not saying that LRMs as a weapon system are useless far from they can actually be fairly effective in highly co-ordinated groups bringing mechs with it in mind which NEVER happens in quick play hence why LRMs are cancerous. That said they could be viable in quick play if people didn't devote their ENTIRE mech to boating them, seriously try down grading your LRMs to 10s and only have like at most 2 of them and take some direct fire weapons with you. Your team wont hate you for relying on them to carry you, youl be able to contribute to pushes and even have some indirect fire weapons for closing distances or shooting over team mates heads while doing so.

TLDR: If you want my respect stop pretending to help the team and actually do some grunt work also stop boating LRMs their okay mid range weapons for closing in but you should not rely solely on them.

PS: For the love of god stop making me play polar highlands my sodium intake is high enough.

Edited by FirestormClone218, 06 April 2017 - 11:16 AM.

#54 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:18 AM

I lurm a lot and I don't much see that LRM hate. It's much more common here on forum than in actual games. Some bad comments every now and them but nothing I would get upset from.

#55 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:19 AM

View PostGhogiel, on 06 April 2017 - 11:07 AM, said:

I think OP should get a grip on reality. Lurm hate is like racism. k den.

<meme gif>

Yeah. I'd say its not so much like racism as opposed to being afflicted with a particular form of alcoholism wherein you only get the buzz you need from something odd like cordials, or a nice white zin.

Sure it still doing the job of damaging your liver and getting you toasted, but the rest of us in the bar at 10:00AM who have the good sense to hit the whiskey or vodka or mescal, etc.are still going to give you grief over it.
Posted Image

#56 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,384 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:32 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 06 April 2017 - 10:45 AM, said:

But what if I identify with LRMs?

I don't care what the accident of birth says, I AM LRM!

That is Sir LeeRoy Mech to you!!

Posted Image

#57 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:43 AM

Racism is a jaded persons game, those who live together with all shades of skin type and background have nothing but comical views on racism.

As a Canadian I see this all the time, racism is like a joke in GTA. As in it is VERY RARELY an issue and is more commonly a point of comedy that we all enjoy.

Too many people want to play the part of the victim, if you like LRM play it and forget the trolls.

Be vary careful when you make blanket statements. Might trigger someones buried salty bones!!

Posted Image

#58 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:55 AM

I'll harass whoever the hell I feel like harassing. NO. We don't need another silly rule that slaps a ball gag in our mouth.

#59 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:10 PM

View PostBabyCakes666, on 06 April 2017 - 07:45 AM, said:

iv been in LFG pug groups that kick the LRM guy

LRM hate is real and its stooped

like poking fun/trolling at some one for LRMs is fine

but some people take it way to far and these people are like a cancer on this game

i play with the LRM team a lot of the time so i get to see LRM hate more then most people

some of the people that i play with that LRM are like 60 and cant aim for ****

so they LRM then get harassed for it and im getting sick of it

Harassment only.. I repeat ONLY works if you get offended, ignore the vomit and play on.

People need to STOP being offended, that is also like cancer, can't harass those that can't be offended. Then the cycle stops.

Takes two to tango. Posted Image

#60 Kaethir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 236 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY, USA

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:12 PM

The last time I heard something so over-dramatic it came out of my 7yo daughter's mouth.

that being said.

Yeh, it occasionally gets over the top. stop being haters, folks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users