365 replies to this topic

#301 KingCobra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 December 2017 - 08:53 PM

IS or Clan mechs and weapons are quite balanced now which is great for MWO the battles are great when I play on a organized 12 man team and play other organized 12 man teams then it just boils down to pilot skill and team organization and drop calling on who wins the games.

When it is Organized teams Vs pugs it is always a horrible game and they get rolled every time its just farming at that point.When I play as a pug and play FP we get some good games when its small groups and pugs VS small groups and pugs its a 50/50 who will win.

But when your a pug a small groups its always bad when you play a organized 12 man team its always a slaughter I cant believe PGI has let it go on like this for 4years driving away thousands of active players from FP and MWO and basically destroying the MWO community and .game.

They should put organized 12 man teams in there own bucket and pugs and small groups up to 4 in there own 8v8 bucket with the same rewards or different rewards if needed.

And for the love of god get rid of all the consumables in MWO arty and air strikes being the worse offenders some times 30 per FP match used its totally stupid game play and its making game play terrible in FP and QP.

P.S At this point PGI should just change the name of there game to (RED SMOKE ONLINE) tm

Edited by KingCobra, 22 December 2017 - 08:55 PM.

#302 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 25 December 2017 - 03:08 AM

Balance is firmly in favour of Clan and has been since Skill Maze.

To say otherwise shows a grave lack of understanding MWO at a basic level.

#303 Kieryn Jerricho

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 04:00 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 23 April 2017 - 03:59 PM, said:

Maybe, I can't say the original motivation dave that as the sort of nerd who went to gaming cons for BT at the time one of the panels had one of the developers apologize for how it was done (Clans) and that it created a ton of issues and that tournaments almost universally went to Clan v Clan or historic IS vs IS and that every other major game project since then has avoided that era lime the plague. The PC games were made for SP,which is perfect for Clans as the player being OP AF, mowing through hordes was right up the Clan release alley.

The community went incredibly toxic at Clans release and the contempt for Clans was over the top, even by my standards.

You are incorrect. I have been playing Battletech/Battledroids since 1985. When the clans came out many loved the story line and the technological disparity from a campaign point of view. The introduction of the changes were aimed at the lore and campaign driven games and cannot be used as a comparitive model in competitions. The fact that you had players with their favourite IS houses and their favourite clans shows how both had their appeal. Furthermore, the way the universe grew with the influx of the clans was organic. The formation of the star league was driven by it. The word of blake schism was catalysed by the actions of com star's precentor during the clan war and consequently the entire Jihad timeline and the Republic could be said to stem from it. Also, tournement wise, in Europe I never experienced issues, we would run clan trials and IS gunslinger tourneys without issue and you do not need to include the clan vs is tournement argument because that is a cultural conflict lore driven aspect and no tournement would easily run a campaign unless they were doing the roleplaying session. I believe you will find the majority of battletech players who have played through the introduction of the clans do not have an issue with their inclusion.

Now if we are speaking of the "Dark Ages Farming Mechs" introduction and rewrite of storyline by ppl who did not care for any of the previous history, there you will find many old players supporting the contention that it may have been the biggest and most damaging cluster f.... in the history of this game.

#304 ROSS-128

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 396 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 09:19 AM

One thing to keep in mind is that Battletech was a tabletop wargame. Tech disparity could work in that context as long as players could consistently get a good idea of how many units each side could have, and as long as the low-tech side isn't getting screwed in the wallet by their higher unit count.

This is what Battle Value was for, it told you how many IS mechs you needed for a fair fight against Clan mechs. Except that Batttle Value. 1.0 was a mess that might as well have been regurgitated by an RNG for all it was worth. So then we got Battle Value 2.0, which was... marginally better. To be fair to the designers, the level of detail in Battletech made Battle Value *very* hard to assess, especially when you allowed open-ended construction.

In a shooter though, it's very hard to compensate for power with numerical advantages because if each player controls one unit, players will gravitate toward the more powerful faction so that it has the advantage in players *and* numbers. So you either have to level the power difference with quirks, Corerule Ignore, and/or mixtech, or you've got to find a way to allow the under-teched faction to bring more boom per player with things like tonnage skew, extra respawns, or some kind of other logistical advantage.

#305 NocturnalBeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 25 December 2017 - 11:24 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 25 December 2017 - 03:08 AM, said:

Balance is firmly in favour of Clan and has been since Skill Maze.

To say otherwise shows a grave lack of understanding MWO at a basic level.

To say so shows a complete lack of strategy. Plus, Clan Mechs are supposed to be superior in many ways, to say otherwise shows a grave lack of understanding of BATTLETECH and games based on BATTLETECH.

Edited by Ed Steele, 25 December 2017 - 11:26 PM.

#306 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 25 December 2017 - 11:36 PM

I don't understand strategy? Are you really going to try and pull that card against, me?

BATTLETECH and TABLETOP have no place in a PVP FPS.

Sorry but LORE and all that jazz needs to be thrown to the wind if MWO is ever going to be balanced. Problem is PGI pander to the lorenerds too hard and thus, MWO is still in the state is it in... An unbalanced mess.

Before Skill Maze MWO was the closest to balance it had been in a long time.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 25 December 2017 - 11:37 PM.

#307 Direwoof

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 127 posts
  • LocationKamloooooooops

Posted 26 December 2017 - 12:10 AM

Teh clam mech is a op cuz it got bigger range.Better armor and structure and better cooldown and firing 2x the amount of shots before overheating doesn't count for anything bro. Also heavy lasers are totally OP yo. RAC sux cuz I keep clicking it and it wont shoot idk why.

#308 Laser Kiwi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant-Colonel
  • Leutnant-Colonel
  • 271 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 12:36 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 22 December 2017 - 08:15 PM, said:

That guy got a bum rap.

Call it the KCom in me, but nothing wrong with taking a brawler to a long range map. The drop caller failed to get him to the position he needed to go.

I think he was the drop caller, wasn't he?

#309 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 26 December 2017 - 01:13 AM

View PostCharAznable1996, on 26 December 2017 - 12:10 AM, said:

Teh clam mech is a op cuz it got bigger range.

Not entirely true. Build you IS mechs properly you can have equal or better range.

IE - THIS

You are actually out ranging cERML, the staple of Clan Laser Vom. So you are always winning trades, if you know what you are doing.

#310 denAirwalkerrr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 02:25 AM

I'll just leave it here. I wonder what would happen if IS pugs and premades like the one I got in this game had taken ERLL BLR on big cold maps instead of Atlases and RL Catapults because it's best ERLL mech in game superior to HBR/SNV and even PPC SMN if distance is big and you can dodge projectiles.

Posted Image

Devil Fox's record of this game: https://www.twitch.t...1775986?t=5h57m

Edited by denAirwalkerrr, 26 December 2017 - 02:28 AM.

#311 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 26 December 2017 - 02:55 AM

The amount of LRMs on your teams side... Was...

#312 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 03:14 AM

View PostEd Steele, on 25 December 2017 - 11:24 PM, said:

To say so shows a complete lack of strategy. Plus, Clan Mechs are supposed to be superior in many ways, to say otherwise shows a grave lack of understanding of BATTLETECH and games based on BATTLETECH.

Please let me know when only the top 10 or 20% of players are allowed to take Clan mechs to properly represent the BATTLETECH lore of Clans having superior piloting and gunnery skill.

Also when Clans have almost no control over their loadout and even mechs available, them being assigned based on bidding and their leaders, resulting in them regularly having a bad loadout for the circumstance.

How about players being restricted only to terrible mechs and loadouts until they've proven themselves in 1 v 1.

Saying Clan mechs need to be OP in a FPS PVP game shows a complete lack of understanding how games work and what game balance is.

View PostLaser Kiwi, on 26 December 2017 - 12:36 AM, said:

I think he was the drop caller, wasn't he?

Was he? Wow, that's got to sting.

View PostKieryn Jerricho, on 25 December 2017 - 04:00 AM, said:

You are incorrect. I have been playing Battletech/Battledroids since 1985. When the clans came out many loved the story line and the technological disparity from a campaign point of view. The introduction of the changes were aimed at the lore and campaign driven games and cannot be used as a comparitive model in competitions. The fact that you had players with their favourite IS houses and their favourite clans shows how both had their appeal. Furthermore, the way the universe grew with the influx of the clans was organic. The formation of the star league was driven by it. The word of blake schism was catalysed by the actions of com star's precentor during the clan war and consequently the entire Jihad timeline and the Republic could be said to stem from it. Also, tournement wise, in Europe I never experienced issues, we would run clan trials and IS gunslinger tourneys without issue and you do not need to include the clan vs is tournement argument because that is a cultural conflict lore driven aspect and no tournement would easily run a campaign unless they were doing the roleplaying session. I believe you will find the majority of battletech players who have played through the introduction of the clans do not have an issue with their inclusion.

Now if we are speaking of the "Dark Ages Farming Mechs" introduction and rewrite of storyline by ppl who did not care for any of the previous history, there you will find many old players supporting the contention that it may have been the biggest and most damaging cluster f.... in the history of this game.

Huh, I played Battletech since the mid-late 80s. I recall when CityTech box set came out so about that same timeframe. There was nothing 'organic' about the evolution of Battletech lore after Clans were released. The original concept was them arriving with the same tech as IS had from the Helm memory core - just having it universal instead of only on some upgrades. The shift to OP tech and the complete destruction of game balance for a PvP environment is what drove the Star League, and the Jihad, to and fix the broken balance to make it actually viable as a PvP game again. Battletech was a PvP wargame. You could also run it as coop PvE with a GM creating a campaign - and many did, but even with that the population declined as PvP was functionally broken. Even the campaigns declined because plot armor is a terrible balancing device.

MWO is a Player vs Player First Person Shooter computer game. It is completely oblivious to try and keep a balance mechanic that was broken for PvP even in tabletop and utterly unplayable as a PvP FPS in MWO. OP Clan tech was bad in tabletop - all the stuff you're talking about in the lore, the cultural stuff, Clans, their behavior, their culture, the invasion, all of that works in lore with balanced tech. All of it. Every bit. Easily. Just have Clan pilots be totally superior and Clan mechs all be Star League era caliber (not even identical, just comparable) tech while IS has worse pilots and mostly pre-Star League tech. Lore is preserved

The only thing that doesn't work is munchkins getting to pretend its them being good at something instead of game balance being broken to make them look better than they are.

The face palming that has to happen when people are literally talking about making the game an abject failure of a PvP FPS to preserve the worst failure of the games lore is mind numbing.

Of course nobody is saying you have to keep strictly to lore about pilot skills, mech restrictions, how about mech customization? Wipe out the mech lab, make it super expensive? Make mechs a ladder with no real balance; lighter mechs almost universally inferior to bigger ones, balanced only by money? How about 1 mech per player since nobody can afford a massive 200-300 mech stable for themselves?

OP Clan tech is a tiny, tiny drop in the bucket compared to all the other Battletech stuff that everyone is perfectly happy to ignore for the sake of making a better game for a PvP FPS - right up until they have to play on a balanced field. At a fundamental level that's what made OP Clan tech so bad; not just that it broke balance but that it gave a certain segment of the game population a free pass to say it's totally appropriate and right that game balance needs broken in their favor. It was bad enough in tabletop, it's atrocious in a PvP FPS.

If someone wants to be OP they need to accomplish it by actually being good at the game. Not by trying to get the game balance broken in their favor.

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 26 December 2017 - 02:55 AM, said:

The amount of LRMs on your teams side... Was...

Dat unit. Well known on both sides for loving the LRMs. Didn't even need to be EVIL, a pug team could have done the same.

#313 KHAN ATTAKHAN

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 446 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 26 December 2017 - 04:28 AM

Well said RBL

#314 ROSS-128

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 396 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 05:03 AM

I also find it amusing when Clan apologists try to lean on "you have one mech, so it's fine". That one mech was the ERLL Stalker before it got nerfed, now it's the ERLL BLR. And what happens if that gets nerfed for out-performing other IS mechs, as many Clan players advocate for? Maybe another mech will be elevated to be the new One Mech in the same patch, maybe it won't. Can we really count on that?

Meanwhile Clan players can make dropdecks out of trial mechs and win, because their stock loadouts can be as good as many IS mechs' optimal loadouts.

#315 denAirwalkerrr

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 06:16 AM

View PostROSS-128, on 26 December 2017 - 05:03 AM, said:

Meanwhile Clan players can make dropdecks out of trial mechs and win, because their stock loadouts can be as good as many IS mechs' optimal loadouts.

As once a friend of mine said 'I have a folder with 1000 screens to counter this statement'. I can't recall a single game aside from playing vs 10-12 men premades when I haven't seen smth like MG assaults or LRM/ATm lights.

#316 ROSS-128

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 396 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 06:33 AM

How does people putting MGs on an assault "disprove" the fact that just about any Clan laserboat is "instant meta, just add water"?

#317 denAirwalkerrr

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 06:58 AM

View PostROSS-128, on 26 December 2017 - 06:33 AM, said:

How does people putting MGs on an assault "disprove" the fact that just about any Clan laserboat is "instant meta, just add water"?

Judge for yourself.
Posted Image

#318 ThunderKats

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 07:46 AM

For me both fill balance with the tonnage nerfing, but IS require more team work since you become an easy target been the mayority of weapons across the 300-500m range and no ECM cover to go undetected Posted Image
Clan only strong on the first 3 waves, if the score goes 36-36 there is a good chance IS will roll the enemy with the extra tonnage and tankiness of their mediums mechs at the end..I agree with 90% of the comments both IS/Clans has their roll in game and mayority of players don't understand how to counter each other effectively...
#NERF Strike on games please PGI, they cut all the fun...nerf them to the ground Posted Image
How to counter Clan = Push hard into them before they can reload...Posted Image
How to counter IS = hammer them all you can before they get close to your team...Posted Image

#319 ROSS-128

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 396 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 07:49 AM

So one random clan player was dumb enough to put a LAMS on a hot build and waste tonnage on a lone SRM2 that will do diddly squat by itself. What point are you trying to make? That it's OK for clan mechs to have built-in advantage and to come out of the box meta-ready, because Clan pugs are too bad at the game to take advantage of it?

There are bad players and competent players on both sides. Can a competent player facing a bad player overcome tech advantage? Sure. But that doesn't make the tech advantage a-OK. After all, how are we supposed to convince the good players to join the disadvantaged side?

And besides, doesn't "clan players are too bad at the game to leverage their tech advantage so it's OK" directly contradict the excuse of "clans don't win because of tech, they win because they're magic skill magnets"?

Though I suppose instead of answering any of those questions, you're just going to keep saying "clans are fine because I say so, and because screenshots without context."

#320 denAirwalkerrr

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 11:51 AM

View PostROSS-128, on 26 December 2017 - 07:49 AM, said:

So one random clan player was dumb enough to put a LAMS on a hot build and waste tonnage on a lone SRM2 that will do diddly squat by itself. What point are you trying to make? That it's OK for clan mechs to have built-in advantage and to come out of the box meta-ready, because Clan pugs are too bad at the game to take advantage of it?

There are bad players and competent players on both sides. Can a competent player facing a bad player overcome tech advantage? Sure. But that doesn't make the tech advantage a-OK. After all, how are we supposed to convince the good players to join the disadvantaged side?

And besides, doesn't "clan players are too bad at the game to leverage their tech advantage so it's OK" directly contradict the excuse of "clans don't win because of tech, they win because they're magic skill magnets"?

Though I suppose instead of answering any of those questions, you're just going to keep saying "clans are fine because I say so, and because screenshots without context."

To anyone who complains about tech overall I have only good old two words to say. Balance in tech is the matter of meta loadouts for different weights and tasks. Both IS and Clans have more than enough combinations for close/mid/long/cold/temperate/hot/laser/rocket/dakka etc. to consistently do (as for me) 2k damage almost every single game despite of map, gamemode or enemies. Clans for the most parts are boring and doesn’t have fun dakka/brawl mechs like IS and that why I prefer it for now. In case BLR get nerf I’ll switch to HPPC GHR or ERLL GHR/WHM/RGH or just 4xDGN-5N instead of whining that BLR got nerfed and now I don’t know how to be effective against clan in distance.

UPD lol ...good old two words...
Spoiler

Edited by denAirwalkerrr, 26 December 2017 - 12:11 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users