Scouting Question

30 replies to this topic

#1 Grus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:27 AM

So I did a few runs of scouting last night and ran into a wall. It was in the shape of a bushwacker.. I found it difficult to kill effectively when it is ppfl do to 70 points of armor in the ct. Has anyone found a counter to it yet? Rather not have to play Chasey Chasey catchy catchy..

#2 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:35 AM

View PostGrus, on 19 April 2017 - 10:27 AM, said:

So I did a few runs of scouting last night and ran into a wall. It was in the shape of a bushwacker.. I found it difficult to kill effectively when it is ppfl do to 70 points of armor in the ct. Has anyone found a counter to it yet? Rather not have to play Chasey Chasey catchy catchy..

Sometimes the the best answers are the most obvious...

The meta cycle peaks when a side finds builds that the opposition is unable to/reluctant to counter. You won't push the meta to evolve until you show them the error of there ways... this may mean peeky pokey...

Having said that, there are few mediums that can alpha 70 dmg w/o making some heat...

...got flamers?

Oh, and torso twist like a mofo...

#3 Naglinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 975 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:42 AM

Use a SPL nova

#4 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:04 PM

Leg them. Take a SPlas or ERSLAS Nova and rip their legs off,, or grab a 72+ alpha Huntsman and grind it into dirt. But aim low. I see way too many pilots aiming for the torso when those are where the strongest structure and armor quirks are. Focus legs and end them quickly.

#5 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:06 PM

Many Bushwackers are built with XL, so you can always run the XL test.

Going CT is not always productive on some mechs.

#6 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:18 PM

View PostNaglinator, on 19 April 2017 - 10:42 AM, said:

Use a SPL nova
was,even did a "for the blood god!!!" 12spl alpha into the nose of a bushwacker.. didn't kill it. I shut down and died do to his teammates pumping shots into my back. But the interesting bit was on the after game report only showed 41 damage delt.

I have a phuckit *6srm6art* that has a 72 alpha but it does spread everywhere. And the Huntsman frankly I find is made of paper.

#7 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:40 PM

View PostGrus, on 19 April 2017 - 04:18 PM, said:

was,even did a "for the blood god!!!" 12spl alpha into the nose of a bushwacker.. didn't kill it. I shut down and died do to his teammates pumping shots into my back. But the interesting bit was on the after game report only showed 41 damage delt.

I have a phuckit *6srm6art* that has a 72 alpha but it does spread everywhere. And the Huntsman frankly I find is made of paper.

If you alpha'd the 12 spl, you probably shut down and the lasers stopped dealing damage... I see a lot of "visual lag" in this game making things look like they are happening (still firing for a split second as you shut down) when they really aren't...

#8 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:18 PM

View PostGrus, on 19 April 2017 - 04:18 PM, said:

There's one of your problems. 4x ASRM6 4x SPLAS Pakhet is superior to straight spat. No ghost heat, more ammo endurance, tighter clustering.

#9 Marquis De Lafayette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:43 PM

CT is far tougher and far more difficult to hit than the ST's or legs. So, if you are trying to shoot for the CT, you are definitely making it harder on yourself. The ST's are not hard to hit and generally Bushwackers are running xl's, so a side torso is the easiest way to kill it if you (for whatever reason) don't want to go for the legs.

#10 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:59 AM

Also, know their hardpoints so that even if its not xl you take out the majority of their weapons...

#11 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:41 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 19 April 2017 - 05:18 PM, said:

There's one of your problems. 4x ASRM6 4x SPLAS Pakhet is superior to straight spat. No ghost heat, more ammo endurance, tighter clustering.

I'll give that a shot.

View PostMarquis De Lafayette, on 19 April 2017 - 05:43 PM, said:

CT is far tougher and far more difficult to hit than the ST's or legs. So, if you are trying to shoot for the CT, you are definitely making it harder on yourself. The ST's are not hard to hit and generally Bushwackers are running xl's, so a side torso is the easiest way to kill it if you (for whatever reason) don't want to go for the legs.

I guess it's opposite for me, if I was hitting 60fps I'd agree go for the legs. Most of the time I'm running at 30. So I fine it easy to go for the static target (torso) than the legs. Slower legs (heavy and higher) are easy though.

#12 Marquis De Lafayette

• 1,396 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:48 AM

View PostGrus, on 20 April 2017 - 07:41 AM, said:

I guess it's opposite for me, if I was hitting 60fps I'd agree go for the legs. Most of the time I'm running at 30. So I fine it easy to go for the static target (torso) than the legs. Slower legs (heavy and higher) are easy though.

It's going to be pretty much just as difficult to get that alpha into the CT (as the legs) at that frame rate with as narrow as the bushwackers CT hitboxes are and as easy as it is to twist damage in it.

Maybe a good rule of thumb in your case would be ST's if they seem fast (probably running an XL) and legs if they seem slow (running a standard...slow Mechs legs are easier to hit)

#13 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:29 AM

Also, always a good bet with mechs that have ammo-based weapons that they'll store some in the legs since they can't cram DHS in there...

#14 Marquis De Lafayette

• 1,396 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:13 AM

If you are seriously having hitreg issues due to low FPS, you might want to consider running streaks. It really isn't meta these days for scouting, but it's better than feeling you have to alpha 12 spls (and shut down) when you think you have a CT shot.

If your teammates are running spls or srms, streaks can still be handy. Obviously against lights, but also on the bushwacker they seem to hit ST's and legs more than other things. We often want one guy running streaks in protect intel mode to deal with locusts and cicidas that might run for the dropzone.

Edited by Marquis De Lafayette, 20 April 2017 - 09:16 AM.

#15 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:57 AM

View PostMarquis De Lafayette, on 20 April 2017 - 09:13 AM, said:

If you are seriously having hitreg issues due to low FPS, you might want to consider running streaks. It really isn't meta these days for scouting, but it's better than feeling you have to alpha 12 spls (and shut down) when you think you have a CT shot.

If your teammates are running spls or srms, streaks can still be handy. Obviously against lights, but also on the bushwacker they seem to hit ST's and legs more than other things. We often want one guy running streaks in protect intel mode to deal with locusts and cicidas that might run for the dropzone.
I hate streeks. Way to much spread over the target and not enough damage where I want it. Granted the 4spl will help with that. But 9/10 there's ecm somewhere to foul that all up. Tag or narc or counter ecm. I guess it's the mechs I'm "good" at running have a steep disadvantage vest the 55 ton is weight class.

#16 Marquis De Lafayette

• 1,396 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:20 PM

View PostGrus, on 24 April 2017 - 11:57 AM, said:

I hate streeks. Way to much spread over the target and not enough damage where I want it. Granted the 4spl will help with that. But 9/10 there's ecm somewhere to foul that all up. Tag or narc or counter ecm. I guess it's the mechs I'm "good" at running have a steep disadvantage vest the 55 ton is weight class.

Yep. That's the problem with streaks....those srm Griffins will be a big problem if you run streaks.. I only mentioned it as if your fps is low (and you aren't hitting your target as you think you should be) that streaks might be better than just missing totally.

#17 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 02:48 PM

View PostMarquis De Lafayette, on 24 April 2017 - 12:20 PM, said:

Yep. That's the problem with streaks....those srm Griffins will be a big problem if you run streaks.. I only mentioned it as if your fps is low (and you aren't hitting your target as you think you should be) that streaks might be better than just missing totally.

If it matters, any, the Pakhet I generally use has the 4x SPlas 4x ASRM6, plus I stuffed an active probe in there specifically to passively counter ECM Grifs, just to mess with them and make it easier on allied mechs. You could downgrade those SPLas to ERSLas and make those 4x SSRM6, with the AP. Throw in a UAV just in case they have more than one ECM on their team. Should be a straight swap, that way, though the damage is going to be far less effectively placed on the medium sized targets you are likely to deal with.

#18 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:34 PM

I would agree that if you ran a streak36 Huntsman, you'd at least be stripping a phenomenal amount of armor off the mediums and making the locusts poop their iron pants...

#19 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:57 PM

View PostMovinTarget, on 24 April 2017 - 03:34 PM, said:

I would agree that if you ran a streak36 Huntsman, you'd at least be stripping a phenomenal amount of armor off the mediums and making the locusts poop their iron pants...
if we had the clan version IIC then id agree with you ;) but clan lights are not where they should be right now.

#20 Marquis De Lafayette

• 1,396 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:10 PM

View PostGrus, on 24 April 2017 - 03:57 PM, said:

if we had the clan version IIC then id agree with you ;) but clan lights are not where they should be right now.

You might want to re-read what Movin said...think you kind of missed the point of what he was saying... and missed it by quite a fair bit.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users