30 replies to this topic

#21 LeucippusK

• PipPip
  • Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 37 posts
  • LocationBenton Harbor, Mich

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:27 PM

Focus fire on legs if your team finds it difficult to get kills. Dropping 200 tons total is a good thing. High DPS short range, no high burn rate lasers or long range missiles. Streaks are okay but srm's are more pinpoint.

#22 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 25 April 2017 - 04:26 AM

View PostLeucippusK, on 24 April 2017 - 08:27 PM, said:

Focus fire on legs if your team finds it difficult to get kills. Dropping 200 tons total is a good thing. High DPS short range, no high burn rate lasers or long range missiles. Streaks are okay but srm's are more pinpoint.

I'd say probably the only mech I'd be "OK" with going entirely streak based would be the Huntsman. Only because it can carry between 6 and 8 SSRM launchers. You might not be able to aim them, but that is a stupid amount of damage. Throw enough poo on a wall and some will stick. XD

#23 Grus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 03:29 PM

Been giving the 4sl 4ssrm build a go. Not a cool mech by any means...

Ive also been gping back and forth with the Nova. It just can't take a punch in my eyes as well as it should.

Been giving the 4sl 4ssrm build a go. Not a cool mech by any means...

#24 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:12 AM

I find the bigger problem being puggles that are greedy for intel bringing fast mechs to snatch intel first... with no regard for gather/protect... or really, no regard for the fact that scouting is 50-55t brawl mode =p Ach, j2c, adr.... it's either lacking punch, armor, or both. The speed is frankly unimportant compared to durability and killing power.

Killing the other team is going to get you the win (either by necessity or by convenience).

Trying to sneak a last minute dash is a fail 9 times out of 10. But you can't convince people of that. They get offended when you ask them, nicely or otherwise, if they can bring something better. "No, we NEED an ach."

No, we don't. We don't need you to wander off on your own grabbing 1k cbills. And being well out of position from your teammates to do what little contribution you can. Scouting is not QP.

We need a 4th (or even 4rd -_-... because for damn sure we do not need two achs, etc.) HBK, NVA, HNT, or SHC.

In all the drops I've had, an ach saved the day exactly once. A stellar pilot, who i'd be shocked to learn would have been worse in a slightly heavier chassis.

Grabbing intel but losing would be great for the Big Picture (as it still seems to count towards the tug of war confusingly) but that's never been advanced as a reason for actions.

As for Hnt-PA, I've been running asrm4 x2 asrm6 x2 in the arms, a srm6 x2 in each st. It runs hot if you don't pace yourself (true of almost all Hnt though). I've been able to tunnel through CT in every weight class though, from the front =p That said, I'm gonna look into the sml lasers (most of my other hnt pair a big punch with a set of er or p sml lasers.). Assuming you swap the hand omnipods right?

forgot, there is that one HNT var that has SSRM spread? cooldown? quirk. I think it's hand launchers and energy torsos, so i mean...

#25 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 02 May 2017 - 03:18 AM

Just like any other mode of this game, dropping solo puts you at the mercy of the pug mob albeit a smaller one...

#26 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:16 AM

View PostMovinTarget, on 02 May 2017 - 03:18 AM, said:

Just like any other mode of this game, dropping solo puts you at the mercy of the pug mob albeit a smaller one...

just now it happened with a duo from a unit... and they were the ones insisting on running lights on a protect.

And dicking off to the side solo instead of linking up first.

Guess who died first and which side died one by one? =p

We're a unit, we are therefore much better than any solo dropper, herpa derrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Edited by Jingseng, 03 May 2017 - 06:17 AM.

#27 Marquis De Lafayette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 03 May 2017 - 07:32 AM

View PostJingseng, on 03 May 2017 - 06:16 AM, said:

just now it happened with a duo from a unit... and they were the ones insisting on running lights on a protect.

And dicking off to the side solo instead of linking up first.

Guess who died first and which side died one by one? =p

We're a unit, we are therefore much better than any solo dropper, herpa derrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Dropping max weight and grouping up is most often the way to go. It's kind of standard doctrine

That said, on the ground it's not always so cut and dried....as we all know what each sides strengths and weaknesses are and what "standard doctrine" of what to drop is for our opponents. Therefore, we know what potential counters might be to what they most likely will drop. It can be an interesting chess-match if both teams didn't go with bringing max weight with the thought of slugging it out in the middle.

By way of example on the problems of just doing the normal, expected thing: it is pretty much standard to drop 4 50 tonners on the Clan side.... the drawback is the max speed you are gong to get out of nova's and huntsman are sub 88kph, which causes defense problems on certain maps. Dropping at least 1 light (or in many cases an Ice Ferret) on some maps can prevent losses to people who are merely gathering and fleeing (not trying to fight).

I.E...if you've ever (which I am sure you probably have) squared off against an IS team that dropped multiple lights (like 4 locusts) and had no intention of fighting at all (gather and get out) you can have zero chance to force a fight without someone having sufficient speed to make them engage (or get shot in the back). If your team is all running at 88kph, all you can do in those situations is try to shame them on all-chat for being cowards ...lol...you can try to kill all 4 as they make a last second dash for their DZ, but you aren't going to do it. You really just lost that match pre-drop. Which is frustrating.

Even on one map (Crimson) grouping up immediately (which generally needs to be done) in defense can cause a potential problem...just with how the Intel is laid out. We have had the opposition drop multiple lights and get 10 Intel in under a minute and a half...calling in the dropship before we can even meet up. Now they had to split up to do it, but it's doable.... thus, we have had to change some things on that map we normally would do to try to counter that possible strategy. So, our pre-drop deck and call for that map can sometimes be different than what we might normally do

I am not picking at the IS for trying to punish us for "doing what they expected us to do"...yes, it can be annoying to be out-foxed in our dropdecks, but they are just doing what any military would do, playing to what they think our likely weaknesses are. We try to do the same to them.

#28 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 04 May 2017 - 03:17 AM

If you go Nova with 12 lasers, never alpha unless you know you surelya die in the next 4 seconds.

Use both arms as volleys, for 12 ERSL set oen group for 6x left andother for 6x right. Also be careful when they heat you up with flamers.

I run all my 12 laser NVA with 4 groups:

1: left arm volley
2: right arm volley
3: left arm chainfire
4: right arm chainfire

if you know how to twist you can also try to run a IFR with 5CSPL. its nearly the best mech for scoting as it is very fast and you have soem secent firepower and can dodge fire quite well.

Edited by Lily from animove, 04 May 2017 - 04:02 AM.

#29 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:20 AM

I've been using the huntsman in scouting to good effect (4sml 4ssrm6) hot as hell but effective.

#30 Nighthawk513

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 234 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 09:13 PM

For the Bushwhackers, I typically find if they are packing a lot of weapons, they will be XL. For those, I walk up beside them and let off my 2 alphas before overheat and they fall over.
NOTHING on the IS side can actually take 2 6ASRM6 huntsman alphas to a vital component and be standing afterwards. Although their B******* Griffins get pretty close because of how compact their hitboxes are, and their durability quirks.

I would love for scouting to be 50 tons vs 50 tons. No more Crows, Griffins, Bushwhackers, Shadow Hawks, Kintaros, or Wolverines. They get to keep their hunchies and centurions, but while those ARE tankier than they should be, they at least die when I dump ridiculous alphas into them, unlike the Griffins...

#31 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 06 May 2017 - 04:50 AM

View PostGrus, on 04 May 2017 - 11:20 AM, said:

I've been using the huntsman in scouting to good effect (4sml 4ssrm6) hot as hell but effective.

All Hunnies are hot. That's ok, though. You can finish most targets with just two or three blows.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users