Reset The Tonnage Back To Even...........

86 replies to this topic

#41 Lovas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • 436 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 04:00 PM

Wont argue that IS can come down a tad, but not too much. Start out by coming down 5 tonnes - that alone will mess up a lot of drop decks, but no more than 10. IS XLs are a real handicap.

I think a lot of mercs that are normally clan have been IS recently which means clan loyalist are feeling the pain.

Edited by Lovas, 30 April 2017 - 07:10 PM.

#42 Leggin Ho

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 495 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationBristol, Va

Posted 30 April 2017 - 06:19 PM

I agree, some tonnage is needed, but why did PGI jump from 10 to 25 tons?? It is the usual "Balancing" we have all come to love from them for sure.

#43 Lovas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • 436 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 06:56 PM

View PostLeggin Ho, on 30 April 2017 - 06:19 PM, said:

I agree, some tonnage is needed, but why did PGI jump from 10 to 25 tons?? It is the usual "Balancing" we have all come to love from them for sure.

Because the Inner Sphere was getting their collective teeth kicked in - not in the nice way either...they were getting it in the curb stomping -boot to the back of the head- teeth smashing way.

They have a hard time balancing this game and faction warfare because they are trying to solve two problems - 1) Tech 2) Mercs...and they somehow think that tonnage will solve both.

Lets face it - you can control the tech pretty easy if you know what you are doing (seriously PGI, come on)....but you can't control the mercs. The mercs dominate Faction Warfare - there isn't a loyalist unit out there that I can think of that I've lost to since becoming a merc (I'm sure its happened, just can't think of it at the moment).

If you get a roughly 50/50 split with the mercs things balance out (hence our 2+ hour domination matches that everyone laments). But if a majority go one side or the other - whichever side is getting stomped that week comes to the forums and cries the other side is OP.

One solution they need to seriously consider is how the merc contracts work. Currently it is based on the ENTIRE population together - loyalist and mercs. They need to base the merc contracts not on faction, but IS or Clan (personally I hate that my only choices for a good payout week to week is Marik or Liao for IS, and CSJ for clan)- and only have the merc population count towards that number - and at some point one side has their quota full so no matter how bad the payouts are you can't flood one side - it gets locked out or something. Or maybe force some sort of balance for merc units to where they can't go 70% clan 30% IS and if they do they become a loyalist unit?? This isn't a good solution to the merc problem, but maybe it will help.

Someone smarter than me can figure out an easy, elegant solution to the mercs...but the current system isn't it. I'm a bit inebriated and tired....going to bed.

Edited by Lovas, 30 April 2017 - 07:21 PM.

#44 Leggin Ho

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBristol, Va

Posted 01 May 2017 - 05:38 PM

Simply only allow a 50 - 50 split for the mercs and make the contract last 4 weeks not one, basing it on IS and clan would be a good start as well since that's really all the "factions" we have now. And yes PLEASE stop trying to balance everything with tonnage, as it won't work when you have two teams of equal skill playing.

#45 Natural Predator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 690 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:35 PM

I say instead of bringing IS down 5 tons just bring clans up 5 tons. You achieve the same result
That would be 3 65 ton mechs and a 50 ton mech. That's a hell of a lot of good options for clan.

Edited by Ragnar Baron Leiningen, 01 May 2017 - 06:36 PM.

#46 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:45 PM

View PostRagnar Baron Leiningen, on 01 May 2017 - 06:35 PM, said:

I say instead of bringing IS down 5 tons just bring clans up 5 tons. You achieve the same result
That would be 3 65 ton mechs and a 50 ton mech. That's a hell of a lot of good options for clan.

Likewise, leave the IS where it is... let them run top heavy. Bring the clans back to the original 250, in more balanced decks.

Edit: i left out a bunch of words. But I meant I agree, was going to post to the same effect, except...

Edited by Jingseng, 01 May 2017 - 06:46 PM.

#47 Leggin Ho

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBristol, Va

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:20 AM

Either way a 15 ton spread would most likely be about right.

#48 Terrastras Rex

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 124 posts
  • LocationTerrawna

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:23 AM

or this

https://mwomercs.com...age-suggestion/

[variable drop deck tonnage suggestion]

#49 Ewigan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:30 AM

Honestly, do you guys even play FP?

The Phoenix Legion is/was an IS-based "clan" and we played IS only for a long, long time.
We had good games, we had bad games, always depending on who was in our team and who were the opponents.

Since like half a year now, or is it closer to 3/4 year not sure, we take Clan contracts, too. every 3 weeks IS we go two weeks clan or something ( i don't make the rules ^^). And well, Clans are just easy-mode. When you go out to play FP in a 12 man and we are playing clans we always count the game as a win when we start. seriously, it's a money maker.
when we are IS it gets frigging hard to constantly win. then we have to actually work for it! :(

I say: Buff IS. and please, NOT by tonnage!

#50 Leggin Ho

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBristol, Va

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:36 AM

View PostEwigan, on 02 May 2017 - 04:30 AM, said:

The Phoenix Legion is/was an IS-based "clan" and we played IS only for a long, long time.
We had good games, we had bad games, always depending on who was in our team and who were the opponents.

Since like half a year now, or is it closer to 3/4 year not sure, we take Clan contracts, too. every 3 weeks IS we go two weeks clan or something ( i don't make the rules ^^). And well, Clans are just easy-mode. When you go out to play FP in a 12 man and we are playing clans we always count the game as a win when we start. seriously, it's a money maker.
when we are IS it gets frigging hard to constantly win. then we have to actually work for it! Posted Image

I say: Buff IS. and please, NOT by tonnage!

LOL... yeah more buffs that's the ticket......

#51 Ewigan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:42 AM

Well, see it this way. Both of our views are purely given through our play experience, so we should look at the facts.

The last time i looked at the only fact we are given, the innersphere map, it seemed to me like the Clans were winning HARD.
the IS is not even close to being comparable.

so after we have that fact, the only thing that PGI really gives us, what conclusion do we get: buff the clans by ginving them more tonnage that they obviously don't need as they are ROFLstomping the IS even with the "little" tonnage they have?
or buff the obvious loosers? (you could even go and nerf the winners, but as soon as you say "nerf" there are just way to many pitchforks everywhere)

Edited by Ewigan, 02 May 2017 - 04:42 AM.

#52 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 02 May 2017 - 05:49 AM

I've played both sides on and off over the last two months, and mostly won on both sides.

Taking into account all those matches, I believe an IS team using the most optimal Mechs is probably just a bit better than a Clan team, due to the tonnage advantage.

However, you almost never encounter an optimal IS or Clan team. Both sides are almost always weighed down by LRMtards who want to sit in their bases and remote fire over walls. In most matches, victory comes down to which side has the most people in a team coordinating their actions.

In short: tonnage has helped IS and things are relatively even. But IS/Clan/tonnage is not the decisive factor.

Edited by Appogee, 02 May 2017 - 05:51 AM.

#53 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,897 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:20 PM

Not trying to start any crap about imbalance or the skills tree here...just looking for an honest answer to a simple question:

I'm thinking about getting back into CW, but this time as a merc running clan mechs mostly. If things stay fairly consistent, I expect to have enough c-bills to buy any 4 clan mechs and enough MC to buy any currently available clan hero, that I might want for my first drop deck. I don't intend to buy more than enough mechs than for a single deck for now.

So assuming the tonnage does stay where it is at what are the four mechs I should buy?

I know the meta, I understand the game, but I am interested in hearing what the few remaining CW players who are willing to put up with the seemingly never ending QP maps and modes, etc. would feel to be the most competent, all around SINGLE deck of mechs you would consider running.

Thanks.

#54 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 02 May 2017 - 03:03 PM

Well, much as I'd love to suggest the 'Goyle, Mad Dog, Double Nova super brawl fest, the inclusion of Quickplay maps reduces it's utility.

.... Hmm, I'd hafta suggest taking one light, say an Arctic Cheetah or a Jenner Mark Two, for those matches that'll need some speed. Which makes my usual double nova suggestion less than helpful...

It pains me to bypass the Hunchback Mark Two an the Nova, But my suggest would be as follows:

Madcat, Cauldron Born, Loki, and a Jenner Mark Two, Clan Edition, (IIC for short.)

The idea being that the core Clan engine speeds should sync up every mech but the light, allowing you to keep up with any team movements. Also, feel free to switch out the Hellbringer or Ebon Jaguar to taste. The Loki has a pretty tight beam cluster on a high torso mount that everyone loves, but the Ebon Jag tends to roll damage a bit better. I figured the Jenner IIC rather'n the more ubiquitous Arctic Cheetah due to the higher speed capacity. As for the Timber Wolf, it's history and reputation should stand in for an explanation I might offer.

This will allow a three heavy, one light load out, giving you a chance to wear down the tonnage disparity via sheer firepower and mech utility. Now, I specifically assumed a mid range load out on all but the light, but should you desire to change it up, they are all, fortunately, very forgiving in the mech build department. Well, expect the Jenner IIC. It's pretty much built to brawl, but then, that what light's're for.

I cannot, in good conscience, suggest an assault if you're not gonna have other mechs to switch out based on the map you get. Whilst many a glorious mech and a hefty allocation of tonnage, an assault is often to well specialized to be used as a generalist mech.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 02 May 2017 - 03:09 PM.

#55 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:08 PM

View PostEwigan, on 02 May 2017 - 04:30 AM, said:

Did you look at the leaderboard before making that statement?

View PostLovas, on 30 April 2017 - 06:56 PM, said:

They have a hard time balancing this game and faction warfare because they are trying to solve two problems - 1) Tech 2) Mercs...and they somehow think that tonnage will solve both.

Lets face it - you can control the tech pretty easy if you know what you are doing (seriously PGI, come on)....but you can't control the mercs. The mercs dominate Faction Warfare - there isn't a loyalist unit out there that I can think of that I've lost to since becoming a merc (I'm sure its happened, just can't think of it at the moment).

If you get a roughly 50/50 split with the mercs things balance out (hence our 2+ hour domination matches that everyone laments). But if a majority go one side or the other - whichever side is getting stomped that week comes to the forums and cries the other side is OP.

Agree and don't. If they actually FIXED the tech imbalance (IS XL, Potarting PPFLD) then you'd find a lot of Merc units will happily play both sides once you also tie in the fix for the contract calculations as you also stated (another appalling oversight).

The issue with tonnage for most people (Clan side) is they front load decks. If you be smart about it and bring 4 Heavy or 3 Heavy / 1 Med - you can do very well against the IS tonnage as Clan Tech has the advantage due to the speed and no risk cXL. So as long as you use those advantages it can balance up very well. But I see people bringing KDK3s and then their light does 100dmg cause they can't play lights. It's OK to front load if you can play lights, but since the rescale most of them are, ugh.

Same for IS really. I always prefer a balanced deck and avoid using a IS light. Because rescale and also because the only viable one is really a locust and, well, streaks/gauss are always a issue in the QP modes.

#56 Leggin Ho

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBristol, Va

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:57 PM

Did you look at the leaderboard before making that statement?

Yeah I was going to mention that 47 total games is not such a broad example of FP matches to ask others if they play, but I was trying to play nice.....

#57 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:06 PM

47? PMSL. I'm @ work and was gonna check that tonight for the lulz I was sure to find.

BTW Leggin - PM me that video of units making videos about shutting down seeing you guys, PLZ! (Wing said you had it) :D

#58 Leggin Ho

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBristol, Va

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:52 PM

I PM'd it to you, it's funny actually....

#59 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:11 PM

My god the whinging... LOL.

If you don't like it - GTFO. What a potato, pity people like that get too much air time.

#60 Wing 0

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 815 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:04 PM

[redacted]

View PostEwigan, on 02 May 2017 - 04:42 AM, said:

The last time i looked at the only fact we are given, the innersphere map, it seemed to me like the Clans were winning HARD.
the IS is not even close to being comparable.

They were only winning hard at 1 point due to the mass of Merc Units that were mostly in clan. Look at the loyalist list and think about how many actual units that still actively playing at this very moment and look at why the fk we have so many 1 man Loyalist units with very little activity and the Sub-Stat Pad Units. Have many mercs units switched sides? Yes they have. They go where the money is.

Edited by Odanan, 05 May 2017 - 01:44 AM.
insults

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users