Civil War Is Coming, How Do You (Tentatively) Plan To Equip Your "pet Mech"?

88 replies to this topic

#21 BurningDesire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:30 AM

looking forward to using a LFE in my k2 catapult as XL is crap for brawling and the STD leaves you walking around as a stick.

cant really see any reason to change my Cicada 3C up its too much fun the way it is and lets face it loosing the right torso removes any reason to stay on the battlefield

#22 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:13 AM

All this stuff falls under 'new canon' for me so I don't really know. But you are right - retrofits (much like after the GDL mem core) will be limited for most people to just the favored handful - due to cost.

#23 chucklesMuch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,424 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:18 AM

This far out...

Snub nose ppc - will try a pair of them on CDA

HMG's - (Might be crap but I'm gonna try them on MLX, ACH, VPR & HBR)
ATM's - (Will them on LBR, TBR)

#24 Assault One

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 134 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:38 AM

I've got two pet 'Mechs, AS7-D-DC and KGC-000 (the one with the special paint job). My weapons for my pet D-DC are pretty much set (AC/20, 3x ASRM6, 2x MLAS), though I might swap out the MLAS for ERMLAS. I'll play around and check what the weight and crit slot situation looks like if I swap the STD 350 to LFE 350 while trading Endo Steel for Light Ferro for more available slots. Any freed up tonnage will be used for either more heat sinks, maybe a Targetting Computer, or some other non-weapon gear which can be useful.

As for the KGC, LFE either 300 or 325, quad Light Gauss or 6x RAC/2s, with a pair of MLAS as backup weapons. Not sure how effective these are gonna be but it will be GLORIOUS.

#25 Cabusha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 533 posts
  • LocationAK

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:59 AM

Considering PGI, I expect I won't have to worry until 2018 at the soonest.

#26 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:04 AM

My current pet Mech is my Sparky how should I kit it out?
Oh and keep the speed at 110kph

#27 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:07 AM

View PostDavegt27, on 25 April 2017 - 02:04 AM, said:

My current pet Mech is my Sparky how should I kit it out?
Oh and keep the speed at 110kph

350XL?
4 Light PPCs Posted Image and a targeting computer -or 325 LFE for less speed but more durability

the other energy weapons are not an option (IS ER Laser are a joke - I would not look even a first time after them)
although depends on the Snub (when the snub over exceed 10damage at short range)

Edited by Karl Streiger, 25 April 2017 - 02:11 AM.

#28 Kanil

• 1,067 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:22 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 25 April 2017 - 12:24 AM, said:

One could have said that in Closed Beta too, when level 2 tech was introduced. You mess iwth "success" because new toys allow for MORE success? (like um....LFEs in a Hunchback?)

Thing is, level 2 tech is more of a flat upgrade than the civil war stuff. A UAC/20 might be better than an AC/20, or it might spread damage too much and jam too often to be considered better.

I might stick one on my Centurion, but I also might not. It'll get LFF and a half ton more ammo, I guess.

Meanwhile my Hunchback IIC is perfectly optimized clan cheese as-is and needs no further modifications.

I don't see my pet 'mechs getting changed much. It might allow for a new 'mech to take over pet 'mech status though.

#29 Shifty McSwift

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:47 AM

I kept my Cyclops 11 A DC for ages thinking it would be great for trying RAC5 and 4xSRM6 (or 4xSSRM6 or MRM6 mebbe), or if possible 2 rac5 if they can both fit in the one shoulder slot.

But just ended up selling it to put toward a set of marauder IICs.

The CW update looks pretty cool conceptually for IS, and IMO it will certainly shift up the meta game, I suspect there will be at least a few IS mechs near or at the top of the list of meta mech builds for almost all sizes, but I think beyond a bit of experimentation, I will stick with clan mechs TBH. Right now they have too many advantages and the update may make them less prominent in ways, but they will still be there.

#30 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:49 AM

Pet mech?
Mine is a Quickdraw 4G that actually ran missiles and MPL so as to use all the hard points that it was given. But in light of the nerfs of the last year it is now near useless, so I am forced to run LPLs...like damn near every other QKD. So new tech potential...alas, I expect there will be no change in the end. I hope to make an MRM or two work, but it is just a hope.

As it is it takes as large an XL as you can manage to give the thing some maneuverability (even with its still impressive agility quirks...which are getting nerfed by the skills tree/engine decoupling changes...one of the few mechs where decoupling hurts it by the way (default will be a 360, I run with a 350 so that's good...loss of 60% accel/decel and 25% tt, so tha'ts bad)) so I don't think I will find the tonnage for much else unless I really want to slow it down. LFE will take several tons as well so don't think that is an option either. Gotta wait for actual PGI stats to start playing with it.

#31 invernomuto

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:14 AM

It's hard to figure out hw the new tech will work, but LFE and rotary AC on my MAD-3R is something I'd like to try... Lots of new possibilities to play with for my IS mech favorites.

#32 Humpday

• The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:18 AM

I think light PPC's are going to make PPCs usable outside of PPFLD.
Every time I run more than one PPC I cannot sustain the fight properly.

This is coming from someone who is decently successful(2+ k/d) at full energy builds ie Hellbringer or Warhammer.

Warhammer 6R, might be switch from a 1 AC20, 1 LPulse, 3 mlas, to Dual uac10, 4 ermlas.
I dunno though, love that AC20 build, might instead go to a uac20, but that increases facetime which is why I think that AC20 build works for me so well, it forces me to get back into cover instead of staying explosed for too long.

As long as heat isn't too much, probably everything will get the er-mlas treatment.

I NEED a PPC build, its the only weapon system I don't have a chassis to build around thats not PPFLD. Thing is though I think the Uziel is platformt that will fill that gap.

Edited by Humpday, 25 April 2017 - 07:37 AM.

#33 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:28 AM

I've got two that I'm planning on setting up...

WHM-6R (Metus)
Armour all but 2 points
Endo
DHS to fit
280LFE
HPPC X2
ASM/4 w 2t ammo
HMG X2 with 2T ammo
isERML x4

BSW-2X (Metus)
Endo
LFF Full armour
275 (or 280) LFE
DHS
UAC/10 with 2t ammo (or RAC/5 depending on mechanics)
MG x2 with .5t ammo
isERML x2
ASM/4 with 1.5t ammo

#34 stealthraccoon

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:34 AM

My collectors UM-R63 is getting a Snub PPC, LPPC and some HMG's. My COM 2D is getting Snub PPC, Stealth Armor and as many Rocket Launcher tubes as possible. LCT-1V is going to need HMG and LPPC too. And my soon-to-be favorite UM-R68 is going to stay pretty close to stock (3 MRM10's) - I hope to have at least 3 missile hard points; the splat factor should be strong!

Edited by stealthraccoon, 25 April 2017 - 07:41 AM.

#35 GrimRiver

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationIf not here and not there, then where?

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:39 AM

Some of my mechs are gonna stay as is, because you can't fix or improve upon perfection.

90% of the rest are gonna get a much needed upgrade though.

New tech is gonna bring life back to some hero's that have taken a back seat as of late, other hero's...well they're gonna still be forgotten no matter what because their issues are low amount of hardpoints and bad geometry.

#36 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:40 AM

View PostKanil, on 25 April 2017 - 02:22 AM, said:

Thing is, level 2 tech is more of a flat upgrade than the civil war stuff. A UAC/20 might be better than an AC/20, or it might spread damage too much and jam too often to be considered better.

I might stick one on my Centurion, but I also might not. It'll get LFF and a half ton more ammo, I guess.

Meanwhile my Hunchback IIC is perfectly optimized clan cheese as-is and needs no further modifications.

I don't see my pet 'mechs getting changed much. It might allow for a new 'mech to take over pet 'mech status though.

I'd say that the LFE is a straight upgrade for many mechs.

Playing Zombie Sticks is overrated. Almost any mech that uses a STD would be better off with an LFE, except builds that need the crit space in the STs. Atlas or HBK with an AC20? It's a no brainer to take the LFE. Yes, if you lose both torsos, you die.... so what? With the better speed, etc you get, you should be able to avoid getting sticked more often in the first place, making you a lot more useful overall then that 1 time you saved the day in your 1-2 ML PewPew Stick.

View Poststealthraccoon, on 25 April 2017 - 07:34 AM, said:

My collectors UM-R63 is getting a Snub PPC, LPPC and some HMG's. My COM 2D is getting Snub PPC, Stealth Armor and as many Rocket Launcher tubes as possible. And my soon-to-be favorite UM-R68 is going to stay pretty close to stock (3 MRM10's) - I hope to have at least 3 missile hard points; the splat factor should be strong!

UM -r68 was announced when I wasn't looking?

#37 stealthraccoon

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:43 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 25 April 2017 - 07:40 AM, said:

UM -r68 was announced when I wasn't looking?

Well no, it hasn't yet, but I feel it in my gut!
My trash panda senses are tingling... P2W!

Edited by stealthraccoon, 25 April 2017 - 07:45 AM.

#38 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:46 AM

View Poststealthraccoon, on 25 April 2017 - 07:43 AM, said:

Well no, it hasn't yet, but I feel it in my gut!
My raccoon senses are tingling... P2W!

lol

don't tease the Bishop that way... you know he is called the Bishop because he is the Head of the Church or Urbielightenment.....

#39 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:48 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 25 April 2017 - 07:40 AM, said:

I'd say that the LFE is a straight upgrade for many mechs.

Playing Zombie Sticks is overrated. Almost any mech that uses a STD would be better off with an LFE, except builds that need the crit space in the STs. Atlas or HBK with an UAC20? It's a no brainer to take the LFE. Yes, if you lose both torsos, you die.... so what? With the better speed, etc you get, you should be able to avoid getting sticked more often in the first place, making you a lot more useful overall then that 1 time you saved the day in your 1-2 ML PewPew Stick.

FTFY Posted Image

I mean seriously, with the LFE in play, why would you not upgrade that single AC/20 into a UAC/20 for only 1t more and no extra crit space requirement....

#40 SmokedJag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:53 AM

If they are TT size and weight, the Black Widow should be able to fit 3 or 4 RAC/2 in the chest, with backup lasers. It can take four AC/5s and those are the same mass and one more slot, and can even run three UAC/5 plus lasers with a standard engine.

That's gotta be tried even if it is mostly for lulz.

Edited by SmokedJag, 25 April 2017 - 07:55 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users