Respec Costs Must Go

58 replies to this topic

#41 Jagd Wolf

• PipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 11:56 AM

After the initial investment of cbills and xp are thrown into unlocking a node it should remain yours to activate and deactivate at will without having to pay more.

#42 Knighthawk26

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 131 posts
  • LocationBlack Forest

Posted 28 April 2017 - 06:44 PM

Are you listening PGI. Your player base overwhelmingly opposes the respec costs. It offers nothing of importance to the game and restricts creativity and "fun".

#43 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 07:05 PM

View PostKnighthawk26, on 28 April 2017 - 06:44 PM, said:

Are you listening PGI. Your player base overwhelmingly opposes the respec costs. It offers nothing of importance to the game and restricts creativity and "fun".

They don't care. They didn't listen to any of the actual feedback about the skill maze - they just pretended it was about the refunds - and now they won't listen to this.

PGI is lost in some laughable fantasy world where people are going to buy lots of premium time to keep regrinding and respecing their mechs, as well as shelling out real money to buy copies of mechs so each one can have a separate skill tree. They have no clue - no understanding of their own game, human behavior when presented with crap like this, or why people even play MWO.

#44 JPicasso

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 20 posts
  • LocationChicago Area

Posted 29 April 2017 - 03:31 AM

Honestly, I think repsec costs is a deal breaker for me. The idea that I can reconfigure my mechs meaningfully is the FUN of battletech. Does PGI not like fun?

I was going to purchase some of the April mech packs, but I think the game is going to change for the worse. Which means PGI won't see another of my $60 for the next year and a half. I know, big spender, but $60 is $60, and with the added complexity, I might have to look into where I'm spending my time.

The good news is there is a promising game from Harebrained coming out soonish.

#45 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 06:21 AM

View PostJPicasso, on 29 April 2017 - 03:31 AM, said:

Honestly, I think repsec costs is a deal breaker for me. The idea that I can reconfigure my mechs meaningfully is the FUN of battletech. Does PGI not like fun?

PGI already is telling us what "fun" will be in the future, post skill-maze.

- Buy one of a few Clan meta-mechs. Nothing else will be playable after the huge, life-giving quirks are removed from the game.

- Don't reconfigure your mechs. Instead, buy new mechs when you want to change the loadouts. Yes, the jokers there actually stated this.

That doesn't sound like fun to me, and it's probably not going to be fun for a lot of players. But PGI will PGI. They don't get it, they don't care, and nothing short of a huge loss in players and sales will drive reality into their adamantium-lined skulls.

Just more proof that they probably never even play their own game.

Edited by oldradagast, 29 April 2017 - 06:22 AM.

#46 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 06:25 AM

I don't have a problem with the respec costs as long as they are low enough to be able to get the money in a few matches.
All the F2P titels I play or know that have a skill system have a cost with the reskilling.

I think PGI is also quite generouse with letting you pay the respec with CBills and make it a "per node" cost instead of a "all or nothing" way.
I have seen/played others where you can only reset with real money or that take away all skills instead of just the few you might want to reset.

I want to add that I think PGI would be doing good to provide a free reskill token per Elite mech so that if you can reset it one time.
It will reduce a lot of frustration at the beginning of the introduction of the system as people will make mistakes.

Edited by Nesutizale, 29 April 2017 - 06:27 AM.

#47 soapyfrog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 409 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 08:40 AM

1) respec costs XP (as well as c-bills for new nodes).

2) no game worth playing makes you pay real money for respec, full or otherwise, and no game worth playing removes progress from you when you respec.

Does MWO want to be a game worth playing?

#48 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 08:45 AM

View Postsoapyfrog, on 29 April 2017 - 08:40 AM, said:

2) no game worth playing makes you pay real money for respec, full or otherwise, and no game worth playing removes progress from you when you respec.

The community probably wants it to be, PGI I doubt cares at this point.

All of their proposed changes directly and obviously reduce both the number of viable mechs AND the number of viable mech builds, while at the same time punishing people for experimenting. Maybe PGI's "balance solution" is to only leave a handful of mechs playable, and worry about balancing them, while 90% of the mechs in the game rust in hangers.

Long story short, I'd like MWO to be a good game, but the skill maze is going to ruin it in its current form.

#49 Livaria

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 405 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:08 AM

I am actually of the unpopular opinion. I think experience should go, not respec costs. I want node upgrades to be activated without an experience cost. The moment you buy a mech; there should be nothing to stop you from filling in the tree completely.

I'm saying this because it hinders players when playing mechs for the first couple of times. Many players are dropping with a disadvantage in some manner if they are unable to fill in all the nodes. *This* is what should be free. It makes for much more fair gameplay in my opinion.

I understand the reason as to why people want free respecs. However I just want the respec costs to be moderate rather than high. I think people can live with respec costs if experience was no longer a factor. That way, PGI can further expand on the importance of C-bills, while taxing their player base less.

Edited by Livaria, 29 April 2017 - 09:09 AM.

#50 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 10:25 AM

View Postsoapyfrog, on 29 April 2017 - 08:40 AM, said:

World of Warship does for example and its quite popular and played a lot.
StarTrek online does, not that much played but worth it.
StarWars tor does it, also well played.
IIRC WoW does it too.

So yes they do it and they even charge you real money for it.
Ok in ST:O you can actualy earn realworld money with ingame currancy and convert it to get the respecs...so its a semi deal.

#51 soapyfrog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 409 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 01:57 PM

Star Trek online respecs can be bought for in game currency and will not cost you XP.

The Old Republic also had free respecs once a week with a relatively trivial credit cost for extras. Also does not cost XP.

WoW respecs are 100% free, cost nothing at all and can be done anytime. They USED to cost some gold. They never EVER cost XP.

None of these games ever force you to spend real money to respec, and none of them charge XP for it either.

#52 Dollar Bill

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 210 posts
  • LocationLost in the Skill Maze.

Posted 29 April 2017 - 03:44 PM

The fact that PGI is forcing this BS dumpster fire skill maze on us in the first place, they should at least not make us pay a respec cost.

I tried building a mech in the PTS hoping I would find that it wasn't all that bad. What ended up happening was I got so pissed at the amount of granular steps and useless extra nodes I had to pick trying to get my mech back to normal, I just said "SCREW THIS" and quit the game.

After putting us thru all that unnecessary crap the first time around, being charged for having to go thru it again is just PGI spitting in our faces and adding insult to injury.

Edited by Dollar Bill, 29 April 2017 - 03:46 PM.

#53 Sparky314

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 12 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 April 2017 - 05:48 PM

Has anyone figured out how much more clicking we're going to have to do? It just seems like 91 clicks per mech should be payment enough after unlocking them.

#54 Remover of Obstacles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 549 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 10:04 AM

Seems like another barrier and a detractor to enjoying the game.

Grind for xp to respec or just keep playing the same mech.

Or like they recommend, buy a new mech and grind even more.... yah... about that...

Current system, I buy an extra mech of a type I own and throw in a few modules and I am good to go immediately. All skilled up. Done. Fun begins immediately.

#55 x BUSTOV x

• PipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 12:21 PM

I have 1.9+ million experience points on my most played mech, Misery. To use this flawed system for repecing it costs me 11 million cbills to respec back to the level I had originally. It is unacceptable to charge me cbills to convert mech exp to new exp labeled SP and charge me a second time for module cost to essentially respec back to the original. I got 14 million for cost of all modules that cost me way more than 14 miilion per mech.

#56 A Really Old Clan Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 302 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 01:45 PM

View Postoldradagast, on 29 April 2017 - 06:21 AM, said:

PGI already is telling us what "fun" will be in the future, post skill-maze.

- Buy one of a few Clan meta-mechs. Nothing else will be playable after the huge, life-giving quirks are removed from the game.

- Don't reconfigure your mechs. Instead, buy new mechs when you want to change the loadouts. Yes, the jokers there actually stated this.

That doesn't sound like fun to me, and it's probably not going to be fun for a lot of players. But PGI will PGI. They don't get it, they don't care, and nothing short of a huge loss in players and sales will drive reality into their adamantium-lined skulls.

Just more proof that they probably never even play their own game.

Well the world tournament last year showed that out of all the mechs they have designed less than a dozen where used in it. It was so boring to see the same mechs against the same mechs all the time. they should have only allowed a mech to be taken by a team once to at least hide the massive imbalance between many of the mechs.

#57 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 02:24 PM

View PostDrVoodooAUS, on 30 April 2017 - 01:45 PM, said:

Well the world tournament last year showed that out of all the mechs they have designed less than a dozen where used in it. It was so boring to see the same mechs against the same mechs all the time. they should have only allowed a mech to be taken by a team once to at least hide the massive imbalance between many of the mechs.

On the "plus" side, they learned from that experience that apparently those are the only mechs that matter in the game. May as well force us all to sell the rest for refunds and rename the game Meta Mech Warrior Online.

#58 Dollar Bill

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 210 posts
  • LocationLost in the Skill Maze.

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:04 PM

View Postoldradagast, on 30 April 2017 - 02:24 PM, said:

On the "plus" side, they learned from that experience that apparently those are the only mechs that matter in the game. May as well force us all to sell the rest for refunds and rename the game Meta Mech Warrior Online.

No, I think it showed PGI the next mechs to nerf into the dirt.

#59 naterist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 1,724 posts
  • Location7th circle of hell

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:39 PM

this xp sinkhole is actually detrimental to their money making. i use mc to convert gxp from time to time when i get impatient leveling up a mech and i have some odd number left over, so i use my xp ritch mechs to get gxp for my rando mech i gotta basic. without that xp on my mechs i use and tweak a lot, i have no xp boats to get mc with. This respec-tax makes no sense.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users