Clans Running Down Clock To Counter Tonnage Advantage

33 replies to this topic

#1 Sunstruck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 12:14 AM

I was in a match where the clans went and hid in a corner for about 8 mins, running down the clock so that the fight would only allow say 3 waves of mechs to really participate.

They lost anyway but what it does is prevent the Inner Sphere from using their extra tonnage advantage towards the end of the game.

I guess they were trying to gain a kill lead right as the clock runs down to win.

#2 Dark Wooki33 IIC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Demon
  • The Demon
  • 379 posts
  • LocationBlessed Saxony

Posted 30 April 2017 - 02:24 AM

Legit tactic.

But you better win at the end or people will laugh at you.

(Btw that is one of the reasons why skirmish sucks)

Edited by Dark Wooki33 IIC, 30 April 2017 - 02:25 AM.

#3 Terrastras Rex

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 124 posts
  • LocationTerrawna

Posted 30 April 2017 - 02:49 AM

IREX has been teaching clanners how to camp in the spawn.

We've taken to calling them I-RAN

#4 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 30 April 2017 - 06:41 AM

lol, yes it's a pretty non-viable tactic. Haven't lost to any of them yet.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 30 April 2017 - 06:41 AM.

#5 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 30 April 2017 - 07:02 AM

Most FP matches I've played in the last two weeks involved the enemy team hiding behind the walls of their spawn.

Only once did this tactic win, and that was when the enemy pushed out in the final 3 minutes of the match, when we were bored and not paying attention to the kill count.

View PostTerrastras Rex, on 30 April 2017 - 02:49 AM, said:

We've taken to calling them I-RAN

#6 Leggin Ho

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 495 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationBristol, Va

Posted 30 April 2017 - 07:13 AM

It's not a good tactic for either side, but I think it's funny that no one thinks the tonnage difference is a problem, yet it's being blamed for teams not trying to hide at the end of the match. Maybe PGI needs to drop it 10 tons and only give a 15 ton advantage, not a extra mech's worth.

#7 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 07:18 AM

It's not uncommon for teams to try and get a kill lead and go camp their spawn.

#8 Dark Wooki33 IIC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Demon
  • The Demon
  • 379 posts
  • LocationBlessed Saxony

Posted 30 April 2017 - 07:20 AM

Never seen a team win that retreated or stayed near their base. Never. Not even once.

Edit:
And with legit in the earlier post i meant, the good way in doing it.
Example: Terra Therma skirmish, 10 assaults, 2 lights. Lights spot enemy, Fatties evade main body, move as a group and try to get between the enemy and his spawn. 7 mins "wasted" (1 mlx wave evaded ;) ) ,enemy get mad and make mistakes so you butcher the enemy group and get a few respawns. Group up again and butcher more. Dont forget something like "GG close, tonnage really helped ya ;) " at the end.

But it was only in the early days with the "new" tonnage, now the only assaults on the clan side are marauder IIcs, everything else gone extinct and experimental frontloading is a thing of the past.

Edited by Dark Wooki33 IIC, 30 April 2017 - 07:33 AM.

#9 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 30 April 2017 - 07:30 AM

I don't think tonnage has anything to do with it. I've seen IS and Clan teams try to do this.

#10 Leggin Ho

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 495 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationBristol, Va

Posted 30 April 2017 - 07:33 AM

Oh I've seen it happen when the tonnage was even, the tonnage is off, but the thing I thought was funny is that the OP claimed that's why teams did it to him.

#11 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,786 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 12:11 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 30 April 2017 - 07:18 AM, said:

It's not uncommon for teams to try and get a kill lead and go camp their spawn.

problem is if your team is capable of getting a kill lead, they are likely very capable of keeping it. going 'were ahead so lets go hide' is really doubting your abilities. there are those rare games where you are down 10 and pick it up on the last wave, and those usually happen when the other team decides to hide for the rest of the match.

Edited by LordNothing, 30 April 2017 - 12:12 PM.

#12 nehebkau

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 30 April 2017 - 12:28 PM

LOL a Tonnage issue? This happens in any one of these situations:
1. One team is trolling.
2. One team does not believe they have a chance against the other team in an open fight.
3. One team is horribly inebriated and they can't figure out how to get out of the Kaiju walls.
4. One of the teams is mostly Davion. <BAZINGA!>

Edited by nehebkau, 30 April 2017 - 12:29 PM.

#13 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 12:36 PM

Yeah I saw this strat last week from (what I thought was) a legit skilled team. It was disappointing to see that kind of nonsense.

I don't know if it matters to some FP units, but you lose all respect from good players and units when you engage in such cheese, doubly so when we crush you anyway.

#14 Marquis De Lafayette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 30 April 2017 - 04:44 PM

In my experience, this has been most common on Polar Highlands. I don't think it's always about tonnage...I have seen the first 2 waves turn into a grinding 22 min snipe-fest (or poptart-fest). With wave 3 at hand and the clock running down, team with the kill lead then starts do the math about how long it might take to bring their wave 4 mechs to the front (it's a large map) if they lose wave 3. It can take 2 min to get to the middle in some heavies. So, they pull closer to their own dropzone and force the wave 3 battle to be close to where they can get their wave 4 mechs into the fray if needs be.

The walking time on all waves reduces the amount of time we have to fight and causes this kind of thing.

#15 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 05:01 PM

Wait ?
The enemy gave away the initiative ?
Awesome !

#16 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 01 May 2017 - 05:05 AM

View PostDark Wooki33 IIC, on 30 April 2017 - 02:24 AM, said:

Legit tactic.

But you better win at the end or people will laugh at you.

(Btw that is one of the reasons why skirmish sucks)

FALSE.

There are situations that do not fall within the scope of what the shutdown mechanic or evasion tactics are intended for. The use of the shutdown mechanic or avoiding contact with the enemy under the following situations may be classed as an act of non-participation, subject to evaluation and moderation actions by Support services:

Ceasing to meaningfully contribute for the remainder of the match if you still have support equipment, useful modules, or weapons (with any necessary ammo) available. Losing your primary weapon is not an acceptable excuse for hiding and/or shutting down if you still have a secondary weapon, a support-based item such as a TAG, or a consumable module available for use.

Running out the clock, or needlessly extending the duration of the match, in cases where doing so will not assist you towards victory.

Running out the clock or needlessly extending the duration of a Faction Play match in an attempt to keep a particular group or Unit in the current engagement for as long as possible, in cases where doing so will not assist you towards victory, is not considered an acceptable tactic.

Disliking a map or game mode or attempting to preserve a player statistic such as
Kill/Death Ratio are not acceptable excuses for non-participation.

#17 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 01 May 2017 - 05:51 AM

We've had plenty of people run/hide/shutdown in order to "tie up" the good teams.

Quite pathetic really and they do it out of pure spite. Tactical retreat to use a timer is different story, hiding one mech for 3-6mins is just out and out potato.

#18 Dark Wooki33 IIC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Demon
  • The Demon
  • 379 posts
  • LocationBlessed Saxony

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:03 AM

View PostTWIAFU, on 01 May 2017 - 05:05 AM, said:

FALSE.

There are situations that do not fall within the scope of what the shutdown mechanic or evasion tactics are intended for. The use of the shutdown mechanic or avoiding contact with the enemy under the following situations may be classed as an act of non-participation, subject to evaluation and moderation actions by Support services:

Ceasing to meaningfully contribute for the remainder of the match if you still have support equipment, useful modules, or weapons (with any necessary ammo) available. Losing your primary weapon is not an acceptable excuse for hiding and/or shutting down if you still have a secondary weapon, a support-based item such as a TAG, or a consumable module available for use.

Running out the clock, or needlessly extending the duration of the match, in cases where doing so will not assist you towards victory.

Running out the clock or needlessly extending the duration of a Faction Play match in an attempt to keep a particular group or Unit in the current engagement for as long as possible, in cases where doing so will not assist you towards victory, is not considered an acceptable tactic.

Disliking a map or game mode or attempting to preserve a player statistic such as
Kill/Death Ratio are not acceptable excuses for non-participation.

Wat?
The thread is about "wasting" time or prolonged repositioning prior to the first engagement.

All the things you said are true, but have nothing to do with the subject of this thread.

(And btw i have nothing but disdain against people that try to tie up teams ... i still can remember one filthy unit powering down all over the place too prolong the match so it wouldnt count towards winning the planet. And this was in the old fp, 6-7 hours gone to waste ... )

#19 BigScwerl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 222 posts
  • LocationPac N Dub

Posted 01 May 2017 - 10:33 AM

False?

Remember what the old invasion used to be like? Attacking team must assault a well defended position. Defending team digs into cover and defends a spot. How is using base structures for cover that much different. When a team senses that they are in for a difficult fight, why wouldn't they use every advantage available to them? IS has a 300 Ton advantage, I'll bet your drop decks try to use more than 240.

I agree that purposfully wasting another team's time is bad juju. Anytime one side is less than one full wave down, I would say this is a perfectly acceptable strategy. While I always prefer a straight out brawl. I like to win more... and If I have even a chance to win, I will take it.

#20 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:19 AM

View PostDark Wooki33 IIC, on 01 May 2017 - 06:03 AM, said:

Wat?
The thread is about "wasting" time or prolonged repositioning prior to the first engagement.

All the things you said are true, but have nothing to do with the subject of this thread.

(And btw i have nothing but disdain against people that try to tie up teams ... i still can remember one filthy unit powering down all over the place too prolong the match so it wouldnt count towards winning the planet. And this was in the old fp, 6-7 hours gone to waste ... )

In case you missed it, I was replying to a post that stated that running down the clock is legit, while it is NOT, prior to the posts edit.

I was not commenting on the subject of this tread as a whole but a specific post within.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users