Boreal Vault Fw

72 replies to this topic

#1 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,242 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 08:30 AM

I think the map needs some cover for the attackers to get at least one generator done without beeing sniped to death.
Its espacily hard for IS as they can't even return the damage.

#2 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,935 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 08 May 2017 - 08:32 AM

Or just take away the debri and caltrops just inside the left gate. That'd help.

#3 Tyler Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Corporal
  • 1,472 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona

Posted 08 May 2017 - 09:32 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 08 May 2017 - 08:30 AM, said:

I think the map needs some cover for the attackers to get at least one generator done without beeing sniped to death.

You are aware of quirked ERLLs right?

#4 MrJeffers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 08 May 2017 - 09:37 AM

Wait - what? Boreal is one of the few maps where the IS has a distinct advantage - Battlemaster 1-s and Grasshopper 5Ps with ERLL should be the first two mechs in your drop deck when you see Boreal.

#5 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 08 May 2017 - 09:39 AM

ERLL

that is all.

#6 Xiphias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 09:40 AM

The best way to avoid taking fire on Boreal:

1) Open left gate by running the whole team in a line, shooting the gen, and dropping down. This minimizes incoming fire.

2) Group at the gate and push in hard to the left. Shoot the turret at the gate as you run by, but don't stop. Take out the turret on the left to avoid it spotting.

3) Push up on the left side. If the enemy is close you can choose to push up the ridge and engage them.

4) Once you get near the base, cross over into the crack right before the ramp. The ramp tends to be a firing line.

5) From the crack you can push up to the buildings and either trade or push into the base directly. If you spread out you are close enough for midrange to be effective. Make sure to kill turrets.

6) If you can wipe out the first way you can hid behind the omega gun (nearest side to the dropship). This lets you engage any reinforcements from mid/close range and get shots on the gens if you want.

7) After dying, go to the right side until you get to the pass. Group the whole team up at the pass and then push back through the left gate. This minimizes incoming fire during the push. Don't open the right gate as it provides cover on the right to get into position.

Against a good team it is definitely biased to the defends, but the above are still generally the best team tactics to maintain cover and get in range.

#7 Templar Dane

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 09:42 AM

Battlemasters. 5x LPL for brawling/midrange maps and 6x ERLL for sniping maps.

#8 Tyler Valentine

• Senior Corporal
  • 1,472 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona

Posted 08 May 2017 - 09:44 AM

View PostXiphias, on 08 May 2017 - 09:40 AM, said:

The best way to avoid taking fire on Boreal:

1) Open left gate by running the whole team in a line, shooting the gen, and dropping down. This minimizes incoming fire.

You can get a jumpjet equipped mech up to the notch on the hill just past the saddle to the right of the gate and you have a clear line to the gen with no/minimal return fire. been working much better than conga line for me.

#9 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,242 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 10:02 AM

@Xiphias
Thats some good advice. I don't play faction warfare normaly...well only the Tuktuk events to be precice ^_^
So my experiance is limited.

As for the others...as mentioned I don't play FW most of the time and I don't have these mechs and from the drops I have been on, most people didn't had them either.
So for these people its realy hard to do, espacialy if there is no coordination from some experianced player.

Theirfore my impression is that it would be nice to have a small cover for the attackers but also a closer position for the defenders to shoot those behind the new cover.
Its not that I want the attacker to get a free shot at the generators, just want people to be a bit closer.

#10 SmokedJag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 10:05 AM

High mounted weapons supported by ECM 'Mechs. Fire some suppressive shots and alpha strike the generator. You poke or stand around you die.

It takes teamwork but since your odds of surviving that gate breach without teamwork are non-existent anyways...

No dispute it favors Clan.

#11 Vonbach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 697 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 10:08 AM

Gauss ppc sniper fest just like half the other maps yay......
So much fun.

#12 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 08 May 2017 - 10:30 AM

View PostVonbach, on 08 May 2017 - 10:08 AM, said:

Gauss ppc sniper fest just like half the other maps yay......
So much fun.

if you go left properly it isn't.

Edited by Lily from animove, 08 May 2017 - 10:57 AM.

#13 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,823 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 08 May 2017 - 10:49 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 08 May 2017 - 10:02 AM, said:

@Xiphias
Thats some good advice. I don't play faction warfare normaly...well only the Tuktuk events to be precice Posted Image
So my experiance is limited.

As for the others...as mentioned I don't play FW most of the time and I don't have these mechs and from the drops I have been on, most people didn't had them either.
So for these people its realy hard to do, espacialy if there is no coordination from some experianced player.

Theirfore my impression is that it would be nice to have a small cover for the attackers but also a closer position for the defenders to shoot those behind the new cover.
Its not that I want the attacker to get a free shot at the generators, just want people to be a bit closer.

Boreal vault is probably the hardest to breach out of all the maps as a group of uncoordinated pugs vs any opposition that brought sufficient amounts of long range. Boreal is the map where I have 48-0'ed enemy teams, and many many 48-under 10's. Problem is it's the only map where you have to expose yourself to enemy fire just to open the gate, which for pugs, is quite difficult to do.

View PostSmokedJag, on 08 May 2017 - 10:05 AM, said:

High mounted weapons supported by ECM 'Mechs. Fire some suppressive shots and alpha strike the generator. You poke or stand around you die.

It takes teamwork but since your odds of surviving that gate breach without teamwork are non-existent anyways...

No dispute it favors Clan.

I feel like you've never faced massed Battlemaster 1G + Grasshopper 5P ERLL decks that are defending Boreal. Regardless of which side is breaching, expect to have 2-4 mechs wrecked/killed just breaching the gate vs a good defense.

Edited by Vxheous Kerensky, 08 May 2017 - 10:52 AM.

#14 Xiphias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 10:55 AM

View PostTyler Valentine, on 08 May 2017 - 09:44 AM, said:

You can get a jumpjet equipped mech up to the notch on the hill just past the saddle to the right of the gate and you have a clear line to the gen with no/minimal return fire. been working much better than conga line for me.

You can do that, but you waste too much time taking down the gate if you do. The conga line is the fastest way to get the gate down and while you will take some fire, it's pretty spread out if the team does it well. If you're having to open the gate yourself you method is probably better, but at that point you've probably already lost.

#15 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 08 May 2017 - 11:09 AM

cw game mode really is a mess. Opening the gates is just another example. Whats the reasoning for those game mechanics?

#16 SmokedJag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 11:51 AM

View PostVxheous Kerensky, on 08 May 2017 - 10:49 AM, said:

Boreal vault is probably the hardest to breach out of all the maps as a group of uncoordinated pugs vs any opposition that brought sufficient amounts of long range. Boreal is the map where I have 48-0'ed enemy teams, and many many 48-under 10's. Problem is it's the only map where you have to expose yourself to enemy fire just to open the gate, which for pugs, is quite difficult to do.

I feel like you've never faced massed Battlemaster 1G + Grasshopper 5P ERLL decks that are defending Boreal. Regardless of which side is breaching, expect to have 2-4 mechs wrecked/killed just breaching the gate vs a good defense.

No I've not had that misfortune in the weekend I've been playing FW. But I doubt it would be worse than the functional 48-0 my Clan PUG laid down on an Inner Sphere one that was being tentative in attacking this. I say functional because I doubt any of us would have died if we had just decided to sit in base. People were getting killed to reload ammo and to go out and fight something; at least one was killed by the IS DropShip.

The other time I played defense as Clan on that map the 4-man that was calling the drop expressly asked us to let the Sphere break through so something would happen and we could kill them faster.

I'm guessing the attacker overall has a horrendous success rate on this map.

#17 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 11:56 AM

the range on weapons is too long. they need to reel in the max ranges of weapons.

#18 R Valentine

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 12:02 PM

View PostVxheous Kerensky, on 08 May 2017 - 10:49 AM, said:

Oh god, if you don't have a 5P don't buy 1. It's getting dumpstered on in the skill tree patch. 0% duration. 5% range. Losing virtually all of its offensive quirks.

#19 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,823 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 08 May 2017 - 12:29 PM

View PostKiran Yagami, on 08 May 2017 - 12:02 PM, said:

Oh god, if you don't have a 5P don't buy 1. It's getting dumpstered on in the skill tree patch. 0% duration. 5% range. Losing virtually all of its offensive quirks.

I'm going to have a lot of mechs that are going to become trash tier when the skill tree hits. Doesn't change the the fact that as of balance today, those mechs are at the apex of the IS food chain

#20 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 May 2017 - 01:32 PM

some tweaks need to be done to make access to the door generators easier. Even if the generators were raised 20 feet it would help.

Edited by Coolant, 08 May 2017 - 01:32 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users