Boreal Vault Fw

72 replies to this topic

#61 Vonbach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 697 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 01:13 PM

[color=#959595]Cap and others are trying to teach you some of the basics but we can't help if you insist on stubbornly resisting.[/color]

Please spare us the clan wisdom. Its even more obnoxious when most clan pilots aren't that good. They don't need to
be. IS pilots actually have to earn their kills rather that just sniping at long range and relying on clan tech to bull their
way through situations. BV is an abomination. Its hard on attack in any case when your up against clanners its a 1000%
worse and its simply not fun.

#62 Kubernetes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 01:15 PM

View PostVonbach, on 09 May 2017 - 01:13 PM, said:

Please spare us the clan wisdom. Its even more obnoxious when most clan pilots aren't that good. They don't need to
be. IS pilots actually have to earn their kills rather that just sniping at long range and relying on clan tech to bull their
way through situations. BV is an abomination. Its hard on attack in any case when your up against clanners its a 1000%

We're mercs. We spend equal time in IS and Clan mechs, so spare me the "Clan bias" nonsense.

#63 Templar Dane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 01:30 PM

Pertinent link.

#64 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,823 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 09 May 2017 - 01:58 PM

View PostVonbach, on 09 May 2017 - 01:13 PM, said:

I'm a Merc as well, about 55/45 split between Clan and IS. My FW stats can prove I'm not making this up:
Posted Image

As far as talk about pilots not being all that good, I'm willing to bet that my Grasshopper and Battlemaster stats are way better than yours:
Posted Image

Next time when players that have continued success playing FW (on both sides) give some advice, maybe pay attention instead of slinging mud.

#65 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 09 May 2017 - 04:03 PM

View PostSavage Wolf, on 09 May 2017 - 06:00 AM, said:

Yeah... a few quirked viable IS mechs VS well.. ANY clan mech.
"Balance"
There is a difference between having long range mechs in all weight categories and having only in a few.
Clan still has a significant range advantage unless they directly try not to have.

hyperbole much?

Adder cant do dual goose waffle and ppsee.

Nor can KTF or even any medium. They can do Dual ppsee just like IS mechs can tho. Posted Image

ISERLL are not flash lights and out dmg all clan tech aside from ERPPC and Gauss which at those ranges im not even 100% comfortable with against a very skilled team of IS mechs.

Edited by Revis Volek, 09 May 2017 - 04:05 PM.

#66 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 09 May 2017 - 04:44 PM

It's been a while since I reminded how dominant ERLL and ERLL quirks were on that map... not just ERPPC and ERPPC quirks.

It's the kind of thing that once you master it, maps like Alpine and Polar are a lot less painful to do well in.

#67 Xiphias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 04:47 PM

View PostSavage Wolf, on 09 May 2017 - 07:57 AM, said:

So far I've not seen much advice on how to handle the range advantage on the map. Are there pathways I haven't seen to avoid sniper fire or somehow force them out of their camping positions?

You're trying to drive a nail in with a screwdriver. Why make your life more difficult than it has to be when there's already a tool that's better suited for the job?

What you're missing about FW is that team mech choice is extremely important. FW isn't solo play. You can't just take whatever builds you feel like and expect them to work out. Half the pug matches I play are already lost in the mechlab. You should be tailoring your dropdeck to the map if you are playing FW. If you are solo dropping you should always take a ranged deck on Boreal (basically all maps) that you can out trade the other side with. You simply can't push in a brawler mech by yourself effectively and you have no idea what your team will run. Battlemasers and Grasshopper are good choices for this type of strat.

If you have a larger group or a pug team that can't win the long range fight then refer to my post on the first page (there's also a decent video here: https://vimeo.com/168907207). Once you get inside the left gate you have a pretty clear line up to the base. If the enemy team gets close enough to get shots on you then they are close enough for you to return fire. Don't push on the ridge unless they are close, just blow away any mechs that are bold enough to try and peek. A short/mid range group can't stall on this left side or they will get picked apart. What I see losing most matches are bad builds and people that are afraid to push up.

There aren't any "secrets" to FW. The most important factor in > 90% of all FW games is the individual skill of the pilots involved. You need to know how to move properly, how to reposition, how to use cover, how to know where a good spot to trade from is, how to know when to push or when to fall back. It's only in a slim few close matches that strategy plays a role. MWO is always about winning trades, whether they are long range or short range.

While clans definitely have an advantage in the current meta, it's not a big as you might think. What makes the biggest difference in pug match is that it's harder to build a bad clan mech. You can build some terrible IS mechs, but most of the clan mechs are pretty decent. If you're running a group you should be running the same (or very close) dropdecks. Cohesiveness is probably the best thing I can recommend if you are playing in a group of middling players. If you want to win more, buy the best IS meta mechs and play them.

The reason people tell you to get on Teamspeak is because you can't learn cohesive movement and trading from reading about it on the forums. You actually need to practice it in game to get a feel for it. It's far faster and more efficient to show someone in game with a group than to try and argue with them on the forums. You can also see what a player is doing wrong if you drop with them in game.

View PostThe Shortbus, on 09 May 2017 - 08:54 AM, said:

P.s: Clan lights can field 2 ERPPCs ? Gimme that light ! I WANTS IT ! NOW !

Uh, Adder?

#68 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 09 May 2017 - 09:14 PM

I want that 15mins of my life back.

Reading this thread and all the IS loyalist potato-ing about the place...

No wonder Clan is winning when IS pilots don't even know tonnage for their weapons or max ranges with quirk+module.

#69 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 09 May 2017 - 09:24 PM

Quirks!!

It's the quirkezes's fault!!

Blast you, quirkzes. Filthy, FILTHY QUIRKZES!

You know, if the Clan vs. IS base tech balance wasn't so far off, we wouldn't need so many quirkzes.

#70 Fuerchtenichts

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 280 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 May 2017 - 09:54 PM

View PostSavage Wolf, on 09 May 2017 - 08:50 AM, said:

Yes, but even clan lights can bring 2 ER-PPCs and do well. IS needs to be alot heavier to carry those long ranged weapons, especially because you also need to bring your standard engine. You could bring an XL, but then you are just easier to kill, something clans don't have to worry about.

2ERPPC IS Light just for you.
Posted Image

#71 Spitfire 03

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:26 AM

View PostTemplar Dane, on 09 May 2017 - 01:30 PM, said:

My only regret is that I have but one Like to give...

Also, that map is my favourite map to take brawling 3025 tech into. Those single heatsinks run pretty hot, but alotta clan players tend to take heat inefficient ranged builds on that map so I can still beat 'em in the brawl.

Someone already posted the suggested approach, but here it is again.

Left gate, brief period of exposure whilst running the trench, brief exposure on the far left whilst approaching the ramp, then you ignore the stupid ramp, cut across to the right clearing anyone who stepped outta the base, an then take the right side approach up inna the buildings, and from there gens or spawn, to taste.

Someone posted a vid, but their team was barely aggressive enough to do it justice.

Edited by Spitfire 03, 10 May 2017 - 01:52 AM.

#72 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:29 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 08 May 2017 - 08:30 AM, said:

I think the map needs some cover for the attackers to get at least one generator done without beeing sniped to death.
Its espacily hard for IS as they can't even return the damage.

OR.. uuu, uuuu.. this one is brilliant.. watch this... here is goes...

You actually organize and walk up the bloody ramp and DON'T stop halfway, blocking the entire column behind you, and torso-twist as you walk up, and maybe throw a little shooting and moving in there?

Wouldn't that be amazing?

Oh.. no.. you want the world to adapt to you, instead of you adapting to the world.. I see...

Then..

No.

#73 PyckenZot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 870 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAnderlecht, Belgium

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:44 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 08 May 2017 - 08:30 AM, said:

I think the map needs some cover for the attackers to get at least one generator done without beeing sniped to death.
Its espacily hard for IS as they can't even return the damage.

"Its espacily hard for IS as they can't even return the damage."

The inability of people to recognise and adapt to change never ceases to amaze me. Where in the old days clans truly did have an immense range advantage, Quirks (and nerfs!) have seriously balanced that field. Yes, Gauss-PCC volleys still hurt a lot. But IS ERLL builds outsnipe clans with their eyes closed,...

Bring the right mechs to the right drop and you won't need to start these topics,...

Edited by PyckenZot, 10 May 2017 - 01:44 AM.

29 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 29 guests, 0 anonymous users