So How 'bout We Revisit This....

22 replies to this topic

#1 Arctourus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 482 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 11:49 AM

....about a month after the new tech is released. It would be interesting to see, once everyone has gotten used to the new technology, how an event like Tukayyid would go when the IS would have some technology to at least come close to rivaling clan tech.

Maybe that's why they are doing it now.

Either way, as an exclusive IS player who rarely does FW, I'm enjoying this event, despite the constant whining. I could care less that my side is losing. I'm just having fun with it.

#2 - World Eater -

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 940 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 11:59 AM

Yeah, that would be a good thing.

#3 Mister Glitchdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 431 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 12:14 PM

This post, along with all the other "Clan vs. IS tech" complaints, kind of underscores the problem PGI and this community are going to have with the timeline jump.

There isn't going to be another Tukayyid after the jump.

The Civil War Era isn't "Clan Invasion but the IS gets better toys." After the jump, the invasion is over. Sure, JF raids into Lyran space, but Clans in the Civil War Era are largely fighting among themselves, just as FedCom is tearing itself apart. The political and economic relationships are beginning to normalize, the cultures and the tech beginning to homogenize.

By 3060, like it or not, we're all IS.

If the post-jump FW map doesn't change, if the play is just more "Clan vs. IS," then the timeline jump is going to be really disappointing.

#4 Zigmund Freud

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 12:18 PM

I know, right? I didn't have this much fun in MWO in maybe half a year. I don't even care that much about rewards, but playing CW against other casuals is just awesome. Yea, I did lost 2/3 of invasion games, because a bit of imbalance now, and that clans are more noob-friendly. But it was fun.
I just wish that before the new CW event they also make a matchmaker for CW, so pugs would drop against other pugs, and premades against other premades. This way it will be way more fair fight for everybody, less people will complain, and more players will stay in CW after the event. Because this game mode is pretty cool.

Edited by Zigmund Freud, 09 May 2017 - 01:35 PM.

#5 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 12:23 PM

Just rename it Operation Bulldog. The lore barely matters, so it can be IS versus Clans again. So we can see how much of a difference the changes made.

#6 Mistriever

• Pip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 12:31 PM

Tech isn't the issue, I've lost as many matches as I've won. SJ got major bonuses to Merc contracts and a ton of Merc units swapped to Clan for the event. It's a numbers game and the vast majority of the top units are mercenaries, not loyalists.

#7 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 09 May 2017 - 12:35 PM

View PostMister Glitchdragon, on 09 May 2017 - 12:14 PM, said:

Burn, you surat! Posted Image

<on a more serious note ...>

If the post-jump FW map doesn't change, if the play is just more "Clan vs. IS," then the timeline jump is going to be really disappointing.

Yes, it will be very disappointing indeed.

#8 OrmsbyGore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 12:51 PM

This post, along with all the other "Clan vs. IS tech" complaints, kind of underscores the problem PGI and this community are going to have with the timeline jump.

The Civil War Era isn't "Clan Invasion but the IS gets better toys." After the jump, the invasion is over. Sure, JF raids into Lyran space, but Clans in the Civil War Era are largely fighting among themselves, just as FedCom is tearing itself apart. The political and economic relationships are beginning to normalize, the cultures and the tech beginning to homogenize.

that would be true in a full game with a single player story mode, but no reason to expect that we won't be getting a lot more of the same

#9 Ryllen Kriel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 754 posts
  • LocationBetween the last bottle and the next.

Posted 09 May 2017 - 12:55 PM

This is the third Turkeyyid...what makes you think the FedCom Civil War timeline will keep them from another one? The fact we have three Turkeyyids renders a timeline obsolete, we may as well follow this up with Star League Reunification Wars. Just jump all over the place, it's never going to be consistent so we may as well have fun with it!

#10 Alex Morgaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 01:00 PM

The amaris coup. With clan mechs available. You know you want to :3

*runs away while torches light

#11 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,935 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 09 May 2017 - 01:51 PM

View PostArctourus, on 09 May 2017 - 11:49 AM, said:

....about a month after the new tech is released. It would be interesting to see, once everyone has gotten used to the new technology, how an event like Tukayyid would go when the IS would have some technology to at least come close to rivaling clan tech.

Maybe that's why they are doing it now.

Either way, as an exclusive IS player who rarely does FW, I'm enjoying this event, despite the constant whining. I could care less that my side is losing. I'm just having fun with it.

Go look at the skills tree and associated changes (nerfs, decoupling, etc.). Now ask yourself how would a Tuk style event play out with that stuff live in the game?

Now go look at new tech. Consider the LFE weight and how if you use them on a current IS meta build you will have to find weight from somewhere, meaning lower alpha and/or slower mechs which means they are probably not much of a counter to clan meta anymore. Consider presumed new weapon damage, weigjt, and heat output. Now compare all that to closest clan equivalents. Now ask yourself how would a Tuk style event play out with all that stuff plus IS mech with reduced offensive quirks?

Did your answer change?

Edited by Bud Crue, 09 May 2017 - 01:52 PM.

#12 Alexander of Macedon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 02:00 PM

View PostAlex Morgaine, on 09 May 2017 - 01:00 PM, said:

The amaris coup. With clan mechs available. You know you want to :3

*runs away while torches light

Only if they bring back the Long Tom but make the explosion cover the entire map and call it a nuclear strike.

Edited by Alexander of Macedon, 09 May 2017 - 02:16 PM.

#13 Hoaggie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 357 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 02:20 PM

That would be interesting, hopefully it fixes the imbalance, switched over to Clan and got my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th clan mechs after the stomping we got on the first day..... sorry about that, TMF will change back to FRR once this is over

#14 Pixel Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 388 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 02:44 PM

the problem is quirks will be gone. fancy weapons will be great and all, but they will still be heavier and bulkier than Clan weapons...even if they on paper are more powerful. Same with the engine situation. LFE is not really the godsend IMO it's touted to be, it's still heavier than CXL engines...meaning less room to put your bulky and heavy IS stuff.

so with most IS mechs losing half their offensive quirks I have a feeling we will still see clan dominance if not more

#15 Commander A9

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationGDI East Coast Command, Fort Dix, NJ

Posted 09 May 2017 - 02:49 PM

Which means an all-IS versus IS event, and an all-Clan versus Clan event! Like PGI mentioned before.

Perhaps we might see a legitimate FedCom Civil War, and Refusal War. :D

#16 L1f3H4ck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 02:49 PM

There will be infighting, that's what happens during the Civil War and for the Clans right after Tukayyid, which was immediately followed by the Refusal War between Wolves and Falcons.

Sorry guys, there will be no Operation Bulldog. Not only would it be more trouble for the current system to simply remove a faction from the game than it is worth, but also look at the leader board for T3... There will be no Operation Bulldog, at least not a successful one.

I think they will eventually just remove the buckets. Clan vs. IS? That's getting old anyway. You just click "Fight" and you get randomized. Clan? IS? mixed tech? Who really cares? Hey, Kai Allard-Lia once teamed up with a team of Jade Falcon Elementals, the prince is stomping through his civil war in a Direwolf. It's a crazy galaxy out there, and I'm fine with having any meaningful story stuff during events.

#17 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 09 May 2017 - 03:29 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 09 May 2017 - 01:51 PM, said:

Go look at the skills tree and associated changes (nerfs, decoupling, etc.). Now ask yourself how would a Tuk style event play out with that stuff live in the game?

Clan Star vs. IS Company? Posted Image

<pre-rebuffing of IS anyway>

Edited by Mystere, 09 May 2017 - 03:30 PM.

#18 Zigmund Freud

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 12:42 AM

View PostGimpy117, on 09 May 2017 - 02:44 PM, said:

the problem is quirks will be gone. fancy weapons will be great and all, but they will still be heavier and bulkier than Clan weapons...even if they on paper are more powerful. Same with the engine situation. LFE is not really the godsend IMO it's touted to be, it's still heavier than CXL engines...meaning less room to put your bulky and heavy IS stuff.

so with most IS mechs losing half their offensive quirks I have a feeling we will still see clan dominance if not more

I'm pretty sure they will balance it after new tech is released and they have some stats.

#19 Greyhart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 894 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 10 May 2017 - 12:54 AM

Actually (i know nothing of the lore) this begs an interesting question:

If after the timeline jump the Clan/IS distinction/war is no longer relevant; how do you balance a Dropdeck or are we all just going to be taking clan mechs all the time.

How do you make it viable to take IS mechs if everyone has access to Clan mechs?

#20 Valhallan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 484 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:14 AM

View PostGreyhart, on 10 May 2017 - 12:54 AM, said:

Actually (i know nothing of the lore) this begs an interesting question:

If after the timeline jump the Clan/IS distinction/war is no longer relevant; how do you balance a Dropdeck or are we all just going to be taking clan mechs all the time.

How do you make it viable to take IS mechs if everyone has access to Clan mechs?

In here? who knows Posted Image , in TT it was handled with a points system (BV). Clan tech was better but it cost significantly more, a clan mech costed around 2x the cost of an IS mech, mebbe 1.7x or so if both are mix-maxing. a scrow is definitely better than a griffin, but what if that scrow was fighting 2 griffs? or a griff and a cicada? a fatlas/banshee? or even just a fattlemaster? its not as clear-cut then especially if fighting multiple mechs because you can get outmaneuvered and expose your rear. (cue mystere stumping for Clan star vs IS company combat, 5v12)

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users