• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 11 May 2017 - 06:38 PM

This is to help educate new players on the differences between the two types of mechs, this way, players can help understand the difference easier and quicker than those who first learned about Battlemechs and Omnimechs.

#2 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:00 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 11 May 2017 - 06:38 PM, said:

This is to help educate new players on the differences between the two types of mechs, this way, players can help understand the difference easier and quicker than those who first learned about Battlemechs and Omnimechs.

Not calling your specific idea out or anything but...

How many things should be "forced tutorial" in this game? I've heard a lot of that going around as of late, and I hear as many people also complaining about the one forced tutorial everyone is forced to go through now...

I do agree that information is great to have. More of it out there freely to be seen and used is never a bad thing. The differences between Omni and Battlemech are many, and often asked about as well.

#3 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:55 PM

View PostTesunie, on 11 May 2017 - 09:00 PM, said:

Not calling your specific idea out or anything but...

How many things should be "forced tutorial" in this game? I've heard a lot of that going around as of late, and I hear as many people also complaining about the one forced tutorial everyone is forced to go through now...

I do agree that information is great to have. More of it out there freely to be seen and used is never a bad thing. The differences between Omni and Battlemech are many, and often asked about as well.

I think the only "forced" things should be stuff that isn't strategic, such as how to avoid lrms and such. I believe this is more of a common knowledge of the game thing that should be learned. Because I remember long ago in these forums, someone had trouble understanding the differences. As well as this, I've met one too many new players in units that I've played with or in, that had trouble with how a omnimech and battlemech work differently. a full 20 mins to explain it to them for them to understand only a small portion between the two.

also, sorry for the late reply, was busy with other stuff and totally forgot about it.

#4 Karl Mattar

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • 10 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:27 AM

View PostScout Derek, on 15 May 2017 - 04:55 PM, said:

I think the only "forced" things should be stuff that isn't strategic, such as how to avoid lrms and such. I believe this is more of a common knowledge of the game thing that should be learned. Because I remember long ago in these forums, someone had trouble understanding the differences. As well as this, I've met one too many new players in units that I've played with or in, that had trouble with how a omnimech and battlemech work differently. a full 20 mins to explain it to them for them to understand only a small portion between the two.

also, sorry for the late reply, was busy with other stuff and totally forgot about it.

I would do this tutorial even if it were not forced. I do not understand the difference yet, and still play trial mechs as a result.

#5 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:10 AM

View PostScout Derek, on 15 May 2017 - 04:55 PM, said:

Sorry for late return response... Posted Image

Oh I do get what you mean, and it would be awesome to have a tutorial for this in the game. I believe the Academy should have a series of tutorials available to be selected, but probably best to only have the first one (basic movements, shooting and stuff currently in game) mandatory and the rest "select and play at your own leisure".

Too many "must do first" stuff, or too long, and it can be tedious. To new players and already existing/duplicate account players. Though more information being presented up front is always a good thing.

#6 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:53 PM

View PostKarl Mattar, on 17 May 2017 - 11:27 AM, said:

I would do this tutorial even if it were not forced. I do not understand the difference yet, and still play trial mechs as a result.

the diferance is that with Battlemechs you can change the base configuration including weapons, armor type, structure type, heatsink type. engine size and type and there is no fixed equipment.

Omnimechs have a fixed base configuration, including armor type, structure type, heatsink type, engine size and type, there are often also fixed heatsinks and other fixed equipment, however in exchange for all of this there is 1 significant advantage, you can change weapon hardpoints by swapping out omnipods from another varient of that chassis, so if your Viper VPR-A does not have any Balistic hardpoints and you want to add them you can get the side torsos from the -C to add balistics or if your TBR-Prime does not have jumpjets and you want them you can fit 1-2 side torso pods from the -S for 2-4 jumpjets. there are hundreds of possible options.

basicly Battlemechs offer more customisation of the Mechs base atributes while Omnimechs offer more weapon customisation.

the biggest giveaway as to if it is a Battlemech or Omnimech is all current Omnimechs have a varient called -prime, no Battlemechs have a prime varient. also all Omnis are Clans for now and no IS Omnis have been announced at time of posting, although I would be suprised if we did not see IS Omnis at least announced by years end.

#7 Archer Magnus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 218 posts
  • LocationFoCo

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:40 PM

I didn't know for the longest time they didn't share equipment, I just happened to buy IS mechs. It was opening supply caches that made me realize that.

#8 Kaethir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 236 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY, USA

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:26 AM

View PostArcher Magnus, on 23 May 2017 - 12:40 PM, said:

I didn't know for the longest time they didn't share equipment, I just happened to buy IS mechs. It was opening supply caches that made me realize that.

It's not that battlemechs and omnimechs don't share equipment. It's that Clan and IS don't share equipment.

With the exception of the fact that Omnimechs have a bunch of fixed equipment (as previously mentioned, engine, etc), Clan Battlemechs and Clan Omnimechs share the same equipment.

- sorry if that's already what you meant (clan vs is instead of omni vs battle)

#9 Commander A9

• Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationGDI East Coast Command, Fort Dix, NJ

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:21 AM

The entire Mechwarrior Academy should be a forced tutorial-right from the first login.

At least with Captain Adams giving you the introduction to how to play the game.

#10 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:24 AM

View PostCommander A9, on 31 May 2017 - 08:21 AM, said:

The entire Mechwarrior Academy should be a forced tutorial-right from the first login.

At least with Captain Adams giving you the introduction to how to play the game.

I believe that is a forced tutorial you have to play with new accounts before you can progress. Or so I've heard some "alt accounts" complain about being forced to do that... (Us older accounts had a choice to go through it.)

I could be wrong, and if I am I do believe that the Academy into should be forced. It's all the bare minimum piloting stuff every player needs to know.

#11 xXJ35T3RXx

• PipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:35 PM

Why? A motivated person who wants to learn will seek the answers to their questions: What are the differences between Battlemechs and Omnimechs?

#12 Commander A9

• Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationGDI East Coast Command, Fort Dix, NJ

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:01 AM

But the last thing I want to see is a random dude in Faction Warfare dropping alongside my team and going 'hey guys, how do i move my mech LOL!'

They don't send soldiers into battle without going through Basic Training.

Why should anyone be subjected to any game without going through the introduction?

Even Halo made you do it!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users