New Skill Tree. Why Are You Implementing A Change No One Wants?

12 replies to this topic

#1 Revener

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 223 posts
  • LocationSvea Rike

Posted 14 May 2017 - 11:29 AM

Why are you implementing a change no one wants?

Is it a matter of pride and principle now because you spent time and money on it?

Personally I like what we have it is nice and simple and you don't need to spend days grinding mech out. I play this game to have fun not grind skills, then again compared to other games it is very easy to earn XP and money here. Wich suited me because I am an on and off player that switch games around.

anyway....

for someoen that lived through the SWG debacle that SoE did twice, it is really frustrating :)

Edited by Revener, 14 May 2017 - 11:56 AM.

#2 Cy3P0

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 03:26 PM

Speak for yourself.
I want this change.
I want Skill Tree.
I was waiting for it almost 3 months.

#3 Remover of Obstacles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 549 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:48 AM

View PostCy3P0, on 14 May 2017 - 03:26 PM, said:

Speak for yourself.
I want this change.
I want Skill Tree.
I was waiting for it almost 3 months.

To be fair, it seems approximately 45% of the population that responded to a forum thread want a new skill tree for what that is worth.

Maybe not this skill tree, but a skill tree.

#4 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:33 AM

View PostRevener, on 14 May 2017 - 11:29 AM, said:

Why are you implementing a change no one wants?

It's not that "no one wants it".
"Why are you implementing this change in a way that makes the user experience terrible for most people" is more like it.

#5 Sharkomodo

• PipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:13 AM

Also, I totally don't want it. But I respect their right to mess up their game as they see fit.

#6 dillsOn

• PipPipPip
  • Trinary Nova Captain
  • Trinary Nova Captain
  • 60 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:59 PM

Seems like one thing that would help everyone feel better about the skill tree is, more, smaller trees. Instead of forcing players to choose "Screen Shake" or "Speed Retention" put those and maybe some others that fit into a defensive/offensive trees. More trees.

instead what we have is a system that forces players to choose skills which have little or no added value to their mechs, in order to prevent "cherry picking"

Newsflash: Cherry picking is inevitable, all you've done with the skill tree now is limited the amount of cherry picking.

#7 Brom96

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 213 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:37 AM

I am just waiting for some tutorials and an actual time available to watch them, so I can try to optimize (if it is even possible) my build. Basically, if you go for ballistic, use this setting. Lasers, use that. Everyone will choose the same, depending on the weapons, and variety will be the same or worse then before, but game will be nerfed (balanced for some).Only good point is - I do not have to buy more bays since I will need only 2 mechs. Less money spent on the game. :)

#8 Top Leliel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 133 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 05:38 PM

This skill tree has some serious problems though. Such as Armor/Structure nodes multiplying off of existing quirks(since PGI didn't remove anywhere close to all the quirks from the game). Armor and Structure nodes end up giving 15-25% bonuses while all the other nodes give only 10%, making tanky builds absurdly strong. A 55 ton Bushwacker with armor and structure nodes is almost as tough as a clan assault mech while being a much smaller target. An Atlas can get over 250 HP in its center torso.

The Survival nodes in general seem a bit excessive, seeing as how mechs already have increased armor compared to the values battletech was originally balanced around. Agility becomes a must-take portion of the tree as well, since so many mechs simply lack it entirely now with the engine desync. Firepower requires the biggest node commitment, but most mechs probably can't even afford to take it anyway. I hope PGI is planning on rebalancing this.

Edited by Top Leliel, 21 May 2017 - 05:38 PM.

#9 LucasVanWolf

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 09:02 AM

For me its a HORROR mastering over 20 mechs again... You "broke" some very good mechs in the name of" blance" for example firestarter ... thunderbolt while give the Clans "panzer" arctic cheetach and adder... i have tried this mechs they are extremaly effective... now you have made a reset of skills and modules... deamn i loved my modules... i could change the configuration of a mech to quick play and faction play in 30 sec. and now? And of course before the change You had to try 3 variants of mech and now... one...
For me this game is over...

Edited by LucasVanWolf, 26 May 2017 - 09:18 AM.

#10 B0oN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 11:49 AM

205 mechs I own skilled out in a bit less than 8 hours, stretched over 2 days ...

Soooooooo easy .

#adapt, overcome, triumph

#11 4EVR

• PipPipPip
  • The Icon
  • 63 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 06:18 PM

I like the tree. Yeah it's kind of complicated but it seems well thought-out. In particular the modules that just weren't worth taking in the past, like advanced zoom or hill climb, are now available for a reasonable price, while the big guns like full radar dep and cool run are more expensive. I think that's how it should be. And meaningful choices like agility versus tankiness add to the game IMO.

#12 Palfatreos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 398 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 05:00 AM

View PostThe Shortbus, on 26 May 2017 - 11:49 AM, said:

205 mechs I own skilled out in a bit less than 8 hours, stretched over 2 days ...

Soooooooo easy .

#adapt, overcome, triumph

pgi skill tree reset pls Posted Image

#13 Baba_Yaga

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 97 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 05:30 AM

View PostSharkomodo, on 19 May 2017 - 12:13 AM, said:

Also, I totally don't want it. But I respect their right to mess up their game as they see fit.

Not when you've dumped money into it, they want to **** it up, then please refund me my money!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users