Nvidia Or Radeon?

31 replies to this topic

#1 Antonius Zalman

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationNew Kent

Posted 15 May 2017 - 12:57 PM

Been kinda buggin me for quite some time. I been reading on various sites about these 2 types of GPU. It is either nVidia or Radeon. They both talk ill of each other. So which one is promising? Or should there be certain ones of both i should stay clear of?

#2 Knighthawk26

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 131 posts
  • LocationBlack Forest

Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:25 PM

Both are good brands. Nvidia seems to be a bit better at the moment, their cards use less power and they have more variety

#3 Dragoon20005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:56 PM

more like we want to know your budget

we can just simply suggest the 1080Ti but no many of us here can afford that GPU

what is your max for paying for a GPU

#4 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:14 PM

And what CPU do you have and is it OC? Basically, what is your system specs?

#5 NocturnalBeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:07 PM

NVIDIA, Radeon has lagged behind both in performance and software support ever since AMD bought ATI.

#6 JaegerDjinn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 156 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA,USA

Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:18 PM

View PostDragoon20005, on 15 May 2017 - 01:56 PM, said:

more like we want to know your budget

we can just simply suggest the 1080Ti but no many of us here can afford that GPU

what is your max for paying for a GPU

Can votch for that. 750-825$ which the later is what i paided. and for the guy above you, i can tell you it draws 250 watts, so they are not all energy effec. BUT GOOD LUCK it was fun surveying and deciding mine. Awesome card though. benched it at 711 fps. at 42 degree celcius in 1980-1020 rez full screen.

Edited by jjyn, 15 May 2017 - 03:20 PM.

#7 Cold Darkness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 290 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:21 PM

buying a graphic card right now would be a stupid move. around the Q3/4 of this year ATI will propably be launching their new cards, which will regardless of their performance affect the pricing of all cards on the market.

why is this important? because while nvidia usually has objectively better cards on the market, they are also overpriced as **** until ATI follows.
also: with vulcan gaining momentum, ATI might become ALOT more interesting.

#8 Lizardman from Hollywood

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 135 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:42 PM

I would honestly wait til the vega launch. If it does what it is supposed to do for the price then its gonna blow nvidia current cards out of the water on a dollar per fps basis. Maybe then nvidia will back off on the 1080 and the 1070 pricing.

#9 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:49 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 15 May 2017 - 03:07 PM, said:

NVIDIA, Radeon has lagged behind both in performance and software support ever since AMD bought ATI.

My basic rule is AMD processor... Radeon Card.... Intel Processor (my preference) gets Nvidia (usually EVGA)

#10 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:04 PM

If you're on a budget: AMD

If you're not: Intel + NVidia

#11 Raz of 3dc

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:15 PM

I ended up going Radeon after tryinjg NVidia first. I'd upgraded the motherboard and core to an AMD hex core set u[ and for what ever reason the NVidia would not talk to it consistently. Been flying ever since I swapped out to the Radeon card though.

#12 RyHavoc

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:36 PM

Invidia and Intel... just save your pennies...the fact that your here and asking tells all..
Almost 2 years ago now, Got a Intel/GTX980 set up, 32Gig of mem, (only) 24" 4K display that can 144hz refreash...

FP...what?

Whatever...everything is smmoooooooooooth!

Spend the $$$, LIve Large, LIfe is Short
(your worth it Posted Image

Your welcome!
Best~

Ry

Edited by RyHavoc, 15 May 2017 - 04:37 PM.

#13 Antonius Zalman

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationNew Kent

Posted 15 May 2017 - 05:31 PM

No budget really, just curious why the back n forth on these two.

But for the sake of the discussion, lets start with a budget build starting with 200 dollars at max for a GPU:

Radeon? FX cpu to be paired with.
nVidia? Intel i5 cpu to be paired with.

#14 ninjitsu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 402 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:08 PM

View PostAntonius Zalman, on 15 May 2017 - 05:31 PM, said:

No budget really, just curious why the back n forth on these two.

But for the sake of the discussion, lets start with a budget build starting with 200 dollars at max for a GPU:

Radeon? FX cpu to be paired with.
nVidia? Intel i5 cpu to be paired with.

Don't get an FX processor, they are pretty antiquated. You can get a Ryzen R5 1400 for $169. I run an Nvidia video card with an AMD Ryzen processor with absolutely no issues.

#15 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:33 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 15 May 2017 - 04:04 PM, said:

If you're on a budget: AMD

If you're not: Intel + NVidia

It has always been this way, when Pentiums first came out, I saved my pennies and got an AMD 133 Mhz and eventually a 2x CDROM and I always had Intel / TI /IBM computers before, but Pentiums were just insanely expensive at first.

#16 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 03:46 AM

Was using nvidia for a long time, but then I got a freesync monitor so I changed to amd.

Never had real problems with nvidia, not with amd either.

Currently the only good offer from amd is the 470/570 or 480/580, if you want something faster you have to get nvidia. Vega should be out in a month or so, but will be in short supply I hear.

#17 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 05:04 AM

View PostFlapdrol, on 16 May 2017 - 03:46 AM, said:

Was using nvidia for a long time, but then I got a freesync monitor so I changed to amd.

Never had real problems with nvidia, not with amd either.

Currently the only good offer from amd is the 470/570 or 480/580, if you want something faster you have to get nvidia. Vega should be out in a month or so, but will be in short supply I hear.

According to rumors, very short supply. Why even bother competing for that short supply when there are equivalent Nvidia cards that have been out for months already? I mean, unless the prices are really that much better.

In the OP's theoretical $200 range, though, everything has already been released. I think in that bracket the Radeon RX 500-series is technically better performance per dollar, though they definitely use more energy.

I switched to Nvidia for the last time when the 600-series came out. Before that was ATI (AMD) with the 5000-series. Before that was Nvidia with the GTX 200-series. Before that was ATI with the 3870X2. Before that was Nvidia with an FX 5000-series card. Before that was an ATI 9600XT. The point here is that you should always just go with the best you can get at the time within your budget. They're both decent, and everybody has difference experiences with each one.

#18 HGAK47

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 971 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:24 AM

3DFX Voodoo! oh wait im about a decade or more too late....

#19 HGAK47

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 971 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:29 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 15 May 2017 - 03:49 PM, said:

My basic rule is AMD processor... Radeon Card.... Intel Processor (my preference) gets Nvidia (usually EVGA)

EVGA in my experience are one of the best aftermarket board makers. The EVGA software is top notch too. I had a 960GTX EVGA card before I got my stock 1070 and man that EVGA board had so much overclocking headroom! And it was so frosty cool too.

#20 Nerd Incognito

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 59 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:00 AM

There's absolutely no reason to restrict yourself to Intel/Nvidia or AMD/Radeon. The only time it matters is if you're buying an AMD chip that includes onboard graphics processing--which isn't what we're discussing here. For the sake of discussion, I'll throw in that I run an Intel i5 2500k.

I upgraded a few months ago from an old 5850 to a Radeon 480 4GB, which I found on sale at Newegg for about $220. That was, at the time, by far the best deal (in my eyes) in terms of price/performance. That will have changed by now, and will fluctuate based on sales. My second choice would have been a Radeon 470 4GB, which was floating around $200 at that point. If I would have had the need and another $75-100, I would have gone for the 1060--though there has been a lot of speculation about whether or not 3GB is going to be another in the near future.

From what I could gather at the time, I ranked performance at RX470 < 1060 3GB < RX480 < 1060 6GB As mentioned above, that 1060 3GB is a contentious issue, as some tests show it coming out ahead of the 480, and others don't; still others show it as a little ahead, but suggest that the 3GB will become a major limiting factor. Oh, and it's also worth noting that the 480 comes in 8GB flavours, but I really didn't consider it.

We are pretty close to Vega, but I don't know if any of it is going to be around your theoretical price point, and the availability is likely to be spotty.

Oh, and a last note in terms of board partners. EVGA tends to be decent, as does XFX. I personally went with MSI this round, because they have a return depot in Canada, so if I need it, it's cheaper to ship it back. They also have a fairly solid reputation otherwise, but naturally YMMV.

Edited by Nerd Incognito, 16 May 2017 - 11:01 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users