Skills Tree Contest (With Winners)

342 replies to this topic

#41 Wattila

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:40 AM

This is a meant to be a generic laser vomit skill build that should work for both IS and clans.

EDIT 05-23-2017. Updated the build.

Firepower (43 nodes): Get all the range, duration, and heat gen.

Mobility (17 nodes): As much torso speed as possible, plus 3/5 speed tweak.

Operations (17 nodes): Make a beeline for cool run nodes, everything else is filler, would grab an extra heat containment if I had a spare point, but I don't.

Sensors (13 nodes): So, been playing without seismic for a while and starting to miss it. 12 nodes to get 200m seismic and 1 leftover point into radar derp to inform you when you've been targeted.

Auxiliary (1 node): Consumable slot. Double strikes and coolshot are excellent value for the nodes if you can spare the credits. I feel they're overkill for casual play, though, so only one point spent here.

https://kitlaan.gitl...608e9&s=Weapons
Posted Image

Edited by Wattila, 23 May 2017 - 12:31 AM.

#42 R Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:45 AM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 17 May 2017 - 05:41 AM, said:

By the same logic, we should run 'mechs without armour and spend it on a bigger engine / more HS / more/bigger weapons.

I understand what you're trying to say, invest in skill nodes that have a lasting effect, but armour (and structure) are obviously very useful, otherwise more builds would completely strip each location of armour.

Yes, but at the end of the day you win the game by shooting, not by being shot. The more damage you apply, the more enemies you kill, the more limbs and weapons you strip, the less damage you receive in turn. Games are won on kills. Kills come from guns. There's no points for taking a beating.

#43 Ced Riggs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 825 posts
  • Locationunclear, mech stuck in bay.

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:54 AM

View PostKiran Yagami, on 17 May 2017 - 07:45 AM, said:

Kills come from guns.

... and reduced crit chance (inbound), increased armor and structure keep those guns alive for longer. And there we are, with the religious conundrum of tank versus glass cannon when guns can be damaged, too.

Edited by Ced Riggs, 17 May 2017 - 07:54 AM.

#44 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:56 AM

View PostOberost, on 17 May 2017 - 07:28 AM, said:

So, typical IS heavy laser vomit mech...

BOUNTY HUNTER II

Nodes man, give us some nodes!

#45 Jay Leon Hart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:56 AM

View PostWattila, on 17 May 2017 - 07:40 AM, said:

*snip*

I have to ask - how do you access that updated version of https://kitlaan.gitlab.io/mwoskill/ ?
I've tinkered on the site but I clearly lack the know-how.

#46 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:58 AM

I'm kinda tempted to have a go at this, but I don't want to play the game anymore with this skill maze in it, so no point in "competing" for a mechpack.

Also, you're basically buying 5-10 mechpacks because of the skill tree? You're supporting this ****?

#47 Oberost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:03 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 17 May 2017 - 07:56 AM, said:

Nodes man, give us some nodes!

I was just saving the spot, nodes already posted...

#48 R Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:07 AM

View PostCed Riggs, on 17 May 2017 - 07:54 AM, said:

... and reduced crit chance (inbound), increased armor and structure keep those guns alive for longer. And there we are, with the religious conundrum of tank versus glass cannon when guns can be damaged, too.

It's not a religious conundrum. You win by shooting, not by getting shot. The scoreboard on virtually every game mode counts kills. Kills come from shooting. You don't win by taking a beating. You win by delivering it. There's nothing armor can do that you couldn't have done better by either standing in the right spot, being the first to the trigger, or shooting straighter than the other guy.

#49 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:10 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 16 May 2017 - 06:48 PM, said:

This will be my third contest done through the forums and fourth overall (I did one just for 1st H guys on their website previously). My last contest was a mokery of PGI nerf efforts with mech packs given to those whose guessed which mechs were to be nerffed next. One before that was during Tukayyid 2. I know I had one before that as well, but it was a long time ago.

https://mwomercs.com...d-continuation/
http://mwomercs.com/...inners-wil-get/

Said i wouldn't post anymore because the game direction & changes are making me care less about the game, but this is different. Bud Crue is a nice guy, ive talked and played with him on the FRR forums, on top of that he has always honored the prizes for giveaways he has done and ive been a past recipient.

#50 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:13 AM

View PostTarogato, on 17 May 2017 - 07:58 AM, said:

I'm kinda tempted to have a go at this, but I don't want to play the game anymore with this skill maze in it, so no point in "competing" for a mechpack.

Also, you're basically buying 5-10 mechpacks because of the skill tree? You're supporting this ****?

You are exactly the kind of person who I was hoping to entice into doing this. I am giving away mech packs because I am selfish, not because I support this crap. You see I enjoy this community and playing with my mechs. I fear...much as in the manner suggested by your post...that this boondoggle will seriously harm that enjoyment. I posted back during the first PTS that I feared that the skills tree may very well be the thing to finally push the population so low as to be non viable. I don't want that.

So help me out and help the remaining community out. Post your node paths, so that it will encourage those of us who are not that good at understanding this crap to keep playing. Don't do it because you support the skills tree, do it because you like playing this game.

#51 Wattila

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:14 AM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 17 May 2017 - 07:56 AM, said:

I have to ask - how do you access that updated version of https://kitlaan.gitlab.io/mwoskill/ ?
I've tinkered on the site but I clearly lack the know-how.

Maybe you have an old version cached or something, I get the new skills by going through your link. Try forcing a refresh with CTRL+F5.

#52 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:17 AM

View PostWattila, on 17 May 2017 - 08:14 AM, said:

Maybe you have an old version cached or something, I get the new skills by going through your link. Try forcing a refresh with CTRL+F5.

I could kiss you - will you settle for a hug? Posted Image

#53 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:20 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 17 May 2017 - 08:13 AM, said:

You are exactly the kind of person who I was hoping to entice into doing this. I am giving away mech packs because I am selfish, not because I support this crap. You see I enjoy this community and playing with my mechs. I fear...much as in the manner suggested by your post...that this boondoggle will seriously harm that enjoyment. I posted back during the first PTS that I feared that the skills tree may very well be the thing to finally push the population so low as to be non viable. I don't want that.

So help me out and help the remaining community out. Post your node paths, so that it will encourage those of us who are not that good at understanding this crap to keep playing. Don't do it because you support the skills tree, do it because you like playing this game.

Well here's the problem, as long as this skill tree is in the game, I don't like playing the game. Explaining why would involve my monthly quota of expletives and surely get me banned (why do I care even... I don't know)

#54 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:25 AM

View PostTarogato, on 17 May 2017 - 08:20 AM, said:

Well here's the problem, as long as this skill tree is in the game, I don't like playing the game. Explaining why would involve my monthly quota of expletives and surely get me banned (why do I care even... I don't know)

I sympathize. I have been a bit vocal about the UI and the nerfs particularly. But I'm gonna take it slow, see how one or two mechs perform. Shift to Clans for a bit and finally admit that my nostalgia/lore based motivations for coming to this game have no place in PGI's game. In short, I'm going to try and keep an open mind at least through new tech (end of the summer) and play PGI's game as they have provided it. If after a few months I decide that it truly is as bad as all that, then I too am done, but I am going to give it a final shot and I hope you do too.

God I miss phase 2

#55 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:36 AM

AHAHAHA, the word t u r d is censored? Really PGI, you added that to your filter? rofl

Sorry, I'll stop derailing this thread now. I just had to point that out, that's hilariously amusing.

#56 Kash Register

Rookie

• The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:38 AM

Here is my completely generic starting point for Assaults, Heavies, and many Medium mechs.

https://tarogato-mwo...4c-3324ea5d7833

19 points in Mobility, which focuses on the left side of the tree to get many Torso Speed options plus Acceleration and a few Speed Tweaks. Easy to drop some points from the bottom of the tree if you feel the returns from speed tweak don't help your slow Assault mech, but I feel the torso twist speed nodes are critical for most builds.

20 points in Operations to get all Heat Containment and Cool Running nodes. Some IS dakka only builds can probably skip some of these.

19 points in Sensors to get all Seismic Sensor and Radar Deprivation nodes. Easy to pick up ECM nodes from here as well.

1 point in Auxiliary to get the extra consumable slot.

59 points total, leaving 32 points to further customize your mech for more firepower, armor or mobility. I've been testing my builds in game to see how they perform before and after I add points from each particular tree. For example, dakka only builds may not require the cooling options from the Operations tree, depending on their set up.

Hope you like it. Comments and criticisms welcome.

Edited by Kash Register, 17 May 2017 - 08:39 AM.

#57 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:43 AM

View PostKash Register, on 17 May 2017 - 08:38 AM, said:

Here is my completely generic starting point for Assaults, Heavies, and many Medium mechs.

https://tarogato-mwo...4c-3324ea5d7833

19 points in Mobility, which focuses on the left side of the tree to get many Torso Speed options plus Acceleration and a few Speed Tweaks. Easy to drop some points from the bottom of the tree if you feel the returns from speed tweak don't help your slow Assault mech, but I feel the torso twist speed nodes are critical for most builds.

20 points in Operations to get all Heat Containment and Cool Running nodes. Some IS dakka only builds can probably skip some of these.

19 points in Sensors to get all Seismic Sensor and Radar Deprivation nodes. Easy to pick up ECM nodes from here as well.

1 point in Auxiliary to get the extra consumable slot.

59 points total, leaving 32 points to further customize your mech for more firepower, armor or mobility. I've been testing my builds in game to see how they perform before and after I add points from each particular tree. For example, dakka only builds may not require the cooling options from the Operations tree, depending on their set up.

Hope you like it. Comments and criticisms welcome.

Nice work Kash. Nice and broad based, very new user friendly.

#58 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:34 AM

Below is a fairly generic but good starting point for mechs.
https://tarogato-mwo...4c-255694a37fa6

Tweak it from their depending on weapons

#59 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:36 AM

I don't have any to share at this point BUT I have been working on a Skilltree Node Optimizing Tech, or SNOT for short.
It's not perfect, still have some bugs to work out it does generate patterns for each node depending on what you tell it you want

It is very fast and here's a picture of the beta generator;

Spoiler

Edited by TLBFestus, 17 May 2017 - 09:42 AM.

#60 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:48 AM

It's lunch, on mobile
Here's a summary to be expanded

If you aren't Dual Gauss, take Operations to nearly full. Cap and dissipation maxed, always useful
Consumables, choice
I like Coolshots, but some just take a basic CS18 for the nodes elsewhere

Sensors, 100m seismic as a min, but that's not terribly useful

Unless you have is&a quirks, avoid survival entirely
If you do have quirks, it can be pretty impressive.

Mobility is good, go for at least 3 Tweak nodes, and your preference downwards.
The remainder, choices

Firepower, more sensors, more consumables

I'll be back with a keyboard

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users