Skills Tree Contest (With Winners)

342 replies to this topic

#261 Wattila

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 12:22 PM

And done with the guide. Also thanks for the separate entries, will probably help.

#262 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:58 PM

I should win just for GOING COMMANDO!! And just for you Bud, All IS builds! Posted Image

range and cooldown for my MPL's

Add some bonus armor to stack with quirks to soak over 40 damage arms/RT/LT, and 60 CT/legs

added lots of quickness and torso twisting with some top speed

Added gather speed to help pin-point weak spots, and give me a little radar dep and wallhack before rounding blind corners, along with the 360 targeting bonus.

Added hillclimb and some cool run. Commandos are one of the mechs that really do well with the hillclimb buff and it runs hot, so a better way to get some bonus cooling than going deeper into weapons tree. (need hill climb anyway)

Bonus Aux slot, to run a 2 consumables

Posted Image

Sparky, MPL Bralwer

Deep into weapons tree, with some operations to get it to run cooler.

Deep into movement tree with some JJ's to get around and avoid being shot

On side of basic sensors, to gather info, and a little radar dep, and blind corner peaking.

Extra consumable

Posted Image

Stalker 4XLRM10+narc+lasers

Deep into weapon tree to get the most out of lasers and missiles.

A little bit of survival to increase armor/structure a little, About the same movement was not much help either, so i chose armor.

A tiny big of kinetic burst, (best optino i had for one last point) Perhaps i will swap out surival for all movement, but now this is working.

Operations to get more cooling, this beast runs hot

ALl the target decay and some radar/seismic

UAV upgrades and narc bonus

Posted Image

Cicada, LPL skrimisher,

deep into weapons to get the most out of two,

A bit of structure bonuses to stack with chasis bonuses

kin burst, and top speed

Deep into burn time and heat reduction on JJ's to make it move even better

A bit of sensors to hold tracks a bit longer, and a tiny bit of derp and blind corver checks

Extra consumable

Posted Image

Atlas K, The Tank

Boost the Ac-20 and range on LPLs

Full on tank boosts, combined with Dual AMS boosts

Speed burst, and twisting bonuses to help tank

Quick start, Just incase you opps and over heat

info gathering and some radar dep

bonus consumable

Posted Image

Edited by JC Daxion, 26 May 2017 - 02:41 PM.

#263 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 26 May 2017 - 04:08 PM

Alas JC, I went clan (merc) and will not touch my IS mechs until PGI decides just what they are going to do to them with their oft mentioned re-balance effort later this summer, following new tech. Nonetheless, your post is added to the index and it (the index) is updated thru #262.

#264 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 04:48 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 26 May 2017 - 04:08 PM, said:

Alas JC, I went clan (merc) and will not touch my IS mechs until PGI decides just what they are going to do to them with their oft mentioned re-balance effort later this summer, following new tech. Nonetheless, your post is added to the index and it (the index) is updated thru #262.

Yea i'm playing mostly clan now because i just wanna level a bunch of mechs before new tech arrives. But a supply crate gave me a day premium, and event sooooooooooo another day on the ol IS!

#265 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:12 AM

In light of the event, one of you worthies needs to post a Linebacker node path.

#266 cazidin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 11:12 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 27 May 2017 - 10:12 AM, said:

In light of the event, one of you worthies needs to post a Linebacker node path.

Dooo I haaaaavvveeee tooo? Posted Image

#267 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 12:11 PM

You know, there are no perfect node paths for everybody. They are not only build-specific but also up to personal preference. Even with exactly same build some people will like to trade damage more while others would be rather more mobile. But this is Linebacker I've been using lately:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5ae0508e708209b

https://kitlaan.gitl...4c-3f36ca99dbd3

It's not really strong but pretty fun, because just like my "Kit Fox Commander" it's using similar loadout of long and short range weapons together. Except it drops all that fancy "command" stuff making it more focused and much easier to pilot. It has more armor and it's pretty hot, but as heat is map specific, it's nothing to worry about. Our PPC's are generating less than 12 heat each and one is definitely higher mount so they can be used in pair or as singles when cooling down/trying to not expose cockpit. So we're into hill poking with ability to cut distance and join brawl. Can also rush in and finish things off or pursue lighter mechs. 6x SRM2's have almost same spread as 4x SRM6's+A and do same damage over time, but due to lower alpha strike using them is much harder and requires bit different playstyle, definitely not "in your face" approach. Sadists and masochists will be happy to chainfire them, but fast alphas with torso twists are still preferred. Beside, PPC's can assist in brawling, like to deal finishing blows. I use two Cool Shots for brawling/emergencies and either UAV or Airstrike, one is better when brawling other when poking.

The Armor placement is not really like in smurfy's link because of Skill Nodes, but in general I use 7 head Armor, 9 rear Center Torso Armor, 9 rear Side Torso Armor, 59 on each Side Torso front, 47 on legs and rest is maxed. Almost nothing in Mobility because Linebacker base stats are so good and with current build there isn't much need. Just like with "Kit Fox Commander", we take few Torso Speed nodes for brawling/survival while Kinetic Bursts and Hard Brakes work when we execute our cheap hit-and-run tactics. Is there anything to add? Probably not. I didn't play this build much but my top damage was like 1200 in Quick Play and 1400 in Invasion(on wave1, also with 7 kills and 9-10 KMDD's). I wouldn't expect such results to be consistent.

By the way, I have added few new lines to my main Kit Fox Commander build.

Edited by G4LV4TR0N, 28 May 2017 - 05:08 PM.

#268 Scyther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 27 May 2017 - 04:24 PM

New Player/New Mech Skill Tree:
I've had some requests for a very simple 'what to get first?' breakdown of the skill tree. I've added a few examples here (mostly my own preferences not something that has been determined by wide testing).

I've broken it down into steps of 3-4 skill nodes at a time - something that a new player can reasonably achieve (exp and c-bills) in a single session of playing. 2-3k Exp and 100-200K C-bills can be made in 3-5 matches fairly easily even for a brand new player.

1st set, Sensors tree for 3 nodes of Radar Deprivation. At lower tiers LRMs are quite common, new players may not know all the hiding/LoS breaking tricks, and decent results can be obtained for a mere 10 points in Sensors tree.

Spoiler

2nd set, Operations tree for some Heat Containment and Cool Run. Most new mechs tend to run somewhat hot, either because Energy weapons are common, or Double Heat Sinks aren't purchased immediately. 11 points in the Operations tree picks us up a fairly cheap bit of heat management.

Spoiler

Our 3rd set is a little trickier - picking up useful functions starts to get more expensive after the first two. Some specific mechs tend to favor Armor/Survival, or Mobility, or ECM as the next-most-important function. I believe that in most cases, Mobility is a good choice for our 3rd tree to open up. Being in the right place allows you to deal more damage, and being in the wrong place most often gets you killed. The full mobilty tree (Speed Tweak) is fairly expensive, but we can pick up some useful Accel/Decel and Turn skills for only 12 points, while opening up the deeper reaches of the tree for later use.

Spoiler

Finally, we will dip into the FirePower tree for some extra Range, Cooldown and -Heat Gen. These skills apply to all weapons and come in handy for opening up access to more weapon-specific powers. The FirePower tree is large and expensive to fully unlock, so we will go down one side of it for 17 points.

Spoiler

By the time the new player/new mech has gotten this far into the various trees, they should have an idea if they now want to unlock more Mobility, FirePower, Sensors or whatever suits their build.

These examples should give newer players an idea how unlocking 3-4 nodes at a time can be used to acquire some useful mech bonuses. Also some idea of how to prioritize nodes so your points add up to a noticeable difference for your mech.

Setting single-session goals of 3-4 nodes at a time breaks the daunting task of maxing out a skill tree into something players can easily handle.

A few trees I didn't address here: the Survival/Armor tree tends to be an 'all-or-nothing' choice. The best bonuses are gained by unlocking much of the tree. The Auxiliary and Jump Jet trees I feel are best left for after a player has considerable practice with their mech and knows what they want from these trees.

Edited by MadBadger, 27 May 2017 - 04:46 PM.

#269 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 04:32 PM

Index updated to #268

Badger, I put your latest entry up on the guides section and moved your cools down paths up there as well but as sub-sections.

Edited by Bud Crue, 27 May 2017 - 04:43 PM.

#270 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 05:05 PM

Bumping thread!

And while at Linebacker and general Survival tree, going to explain exact node/armor values here. Take a look at Armor Hardening/Skeletal Density breakpoints. Example - go to your Mech Lab, load Linebacker Prime and put Linebacker C Side Torsos. Now head to Skills tab and put exactly 11 nodes into Armor Hardening. Now here's where fun starts, put 7 armor on rear Side Torsos and max front, total armor should be 60/7. Now remove one front point and put it in rear. What happens? It's 59/9, one extra because we've hit Armor Hardening breakpoint. Now try to put exactly 100 armor in front Center Torso. What happens? We can't because we're hitting another breakpoint and it's either 99/7 or 101/6, with another extra point. So if we carefully calculate our desired armor values we will be able to also find our desired number of Armor Hardening nodes, which is important when we want to min/max or save some nodes. This also applies to structure.

Read post below.

Edited by G4LV4TR0N, 28 May 2017 - 06:46 PM.

#271 GotShotALot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 06:19 PM

Devs have commented in various posts that showing 'whole' armor numbers is a UI issue. If the % armor hardening comes out 59.6 it shows as 59, but it still has 59.6 armor. When it goes to 60.2 it shows as 60, but in combat it is counted as 60.2 etc.

#272 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 06:46 PM

All right, good to know.

#273 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 06:32 PM

In light of the Devs assertions that balance has never been better and their specific assertions regarding certain mechs, I think y'all should help out and explain just what are the ideal node paths for the presumed superior mechs that are being asserted:
https://mwomercs.com...l-tree-balance/

So Dragons are having a Renaissance. Well then how about a node path for the OP Dragon 5N or maybe the Fang (surely the data isn't being skewed by just the 1C)?

Panthers have seen the greatest improvement in W/L. Okay so how about a node path for the super duper 10P (surely the 10P is what is driving the data)?

The quirky Warhawk: Thee highest damage improvement of all mechs in the game. So how about a node path for Warhawk A; or even the Gargoyle C the highest improved KDR mech.

And of course, the F variant of the Wolverine. The Fourth highest damage improvement of any mech in the game. This super mech needs a node path (it must be the F that is showing PGI just how OP the Wolverine is right?).

Come on y'all, PGI needs you to help stabilize their data pool. Step up folks, make node paths for the worst variants of these apparently highly improved mechs.

#274 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 06:35 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 29 May 2017 - 06:32 PM, said:

In light of the Devs assertions that balance has never been better and their specific assertions regarding certain mechs, I think y'all should help out and explain just what are the ideal node paths for the presumed superior mechs that are being asserted:

So Dragons are having a Renaissance. Well then how about a node path for the OP Dragon 5N or maybe the Fang (surely the data isn't being skewed by just the 1C)?

Panthers have seen the greatest improvement in W/L. Okay so how about a node path for the super duper 10P (surely the 10P is what is driving the data)?

The quirky Warhawk: Thee highest damage improvement of all mechs in the game. So how about a node path for Warhawk A; or even the Gargoyle C the highest improved KDR mech.

And of course, the F variant of the Wolverine. The Fourth highest damage improvement of any mech in the game. This super mech needs a node path (it must be the F that is showing PGI just how OP the Wolverine is right?).

Come on y'all, PGI needs you to help stabilize their data pool. Step up folks, make node paths for the worst variants of these apparently highly improved mechs.

I'll try but Imgur was giving me problems trying to upload earlier. What loadouts should I have in mind? Will I get extra points? Posted Image

Edited by cazidin, 29 May 2017 - 06:37 PM.

#275 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 06:39 PM

View Postcazidin, on 29 May 2017 - 06:35 PM, said:

I'll try but Imgur was giving me problems trying to upload earlier. What loadouts should I have in mind?

Hmm...whatever you think is driving PGI's data set to indicate that these mechs are the super improved, soon to be the meta we all strive to play mechs, that will undoubtedly dominate the comp scene this year, builds.

So..streaks and machine guns with IS small lasers where appropriate? Maybe some clan standard auto-cannons? Who can say? PGI says they are the most improved mechs in the game and near perfectly balanced (only 8% variation!) but they didn't give builds. I guess, you will have to use your best judgement.

#276 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 07:04 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 29 May 2017 - 06:39 PM, said:

Hmm...whatever you think is driving PGI's data set to indicate that these mechs are the super improved, soon to be the meta we all strive to play mechs, that will undoubtedly dominate the comp scene this year, builds.

So..streaks and machine guns with IS small lasers where appropriate? Maybe some clan standard auto-cannons? Who can say? PGI says they are the most improved mechs in the game and near perfectly balanced (only 8% variation!) but they didn't give builds. I guess, you will have to use your best judgement.

Well, I have to assume intelligent players have modified the loadout from stock, hence my asking.

#277 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 02:47 AM

View Postcazidin, on 29 May 2017 - 07:04 PM, said:

Well, I have to assume intelligent players have modified the loadout from stock, hence my asking.

I just don't know. Wish I did. Am only going off of this:

The mechs listed are not broken down by build or variant. I am assuming that the classically "worst" variants of these listed chassis are NOT the ones driving the data that the devs are making assertions over. But those "worst variants" are prbably the ones that need the most help and guidance. But the specific builds? I just don't know.

#278 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 03:33 AM

I am almost sure when it's down to Gargoyle, it's Small Laser build that is making those stats. It has 6 Double Heat Sinks built into engine and fills every possible slot with them, so it benefits greatly from Operations tree. Free access to double 18 Cool Shot that recharges faster than before, awesome tree for Small Lasers with laser duration nodes helping to twist torso faster and obviously Structure quirks multiplied by Survival tree bonuses. Very similar to Nova.

Edited by G4LV4TR0N, 30 May 2017 - 03:37 AM.

#279 Scyther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 30 May 2017 - 04:11 AM

Actually the 'Maximum Cool' tree that I put up (link is in the OP) was created for my Gargoyle Prime. I had always wanted to like my Gargles but couldn't find a build that worked for me. When I use short-range lasers I tend to get in trouble too fast. I took that Max Cool tree and used the remaining 5 free nodes for 2 more Range and 3 Clan Laser Durations. I then fitted it out with 7 Clan ERML and packed it with heat sinks (4/3 left/right split on the weapon groups). Oh and maybe a TC1.

The combo of range, -Heat Gen, and the extra skills along the way (more Anchor Turn etc) has finally made it an effective mech for me.

I can't speak to most of the other listed mechs (because I either don't own them, or do but haven't skilled/run them yet), but the Gargoyle is certainly my 'most improved' mech.

Edit: Also, keep in mind that 'most improved' generally doesn't mean 'current best'. It means 'this mech sucked so bad before that any improvements gained by skill tree and a fresh fit are relatively quite large in % terms'. For instance, I suspect that a lot of the W/L improvement in lights is simply from Survival tree allowing the average light player to actually live long enough to contribute to the match, as opposed to dying with <100 damage.

Edited by MadBadger, 30 May 2017 - 04:17 AM.

#280 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 04:37 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 29 May 2017 - 06:32 PM, said:

Well after reading of units stacking votes to help people win this, I gave up on it.

As for what PGI said, posted on it.
Cannot provide trees as I have skilled nothing until July maybe plus seeing some opinions on Nodes not known before.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users