59 replies to this topic

#21 PFC Carsten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:22 AM

Thanks for trying to help guys! Really. But if this mess of screenshots (not your fault!!) is necessary even as a quickstart guide, this is all the testament there needs to be that PGI has NO IDEA of user interaction, UI design and general flow, be it work or play.

#22 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:27 AM

View PostPFC Carsten, on 17 May 2017 - 02:22 AM, said:

Thanks for trying to help guys! Really. But if this mess of screenshots (not your fault!!) is necessary even as a quickstart guide, this is all the testament there needs to be that PGI has NO IDEA of user interaction, UI design and general flow, be it work or play.

Remember what the Mechlab looked lilke the first time? :) When looking for a pic to use as an example and I run across older Mechlab pics, I remember that Mechlab look and it has changed. With the Skill Tree, everyone was so focused on the tree and the details itself, I do not recall seeing any discussion on the actual conversion screens. Newer players, as of today, will not see the HSP/GSP portion on the ADD SP nor the HXP > XP on the initial piece.

#23 Remover of Obstacles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 549 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:47 AM

Posted Image

Could have made the damn ADD SP button stick out.

How many conversion screens do we need? There has to be a better way.

LedgerWarrior Online

#24 War Steiner

• PipPipPip
  • General III
  • General III
  • 95 posts
  • LocationTerceira, Azores, Portugal

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:48 AM

View PostMovinTarget, on 17 May 2017 - 02:04 AM, said:

Is it a little complicated? Yes, but c'mon guys, its not that bad...

Once you get a feel for the trees you can apply points in the desired way pretty easily... it takes maybe 5 minutes to set up a mech.
. Not catastrophic.

Not catastrophic? How'd you like to spec my 350 mechs then? Or maybe just the 20 or so I use for MRBC? Or other 25 I use for faction play? There was no need for this. It changes nothing and does not address any of the problems or complaints with this game. It only adds a bit a separation between beginner and try-hard players, and that gap is already a chasm. PGI really screwed the pooch this time.

#25 Remover of Obstacles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 549 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:50 AM

Thank you for stepping up and doing PGI's job.

#26 Eric Flatulent

Rookie

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:39 AM

Please forgive me. I only have one mech, Mauler MX-90.

It wasn't finished yet. Only got 21 SP. So I also converted the historic XP (?) and got 8 more SP.

But I also received a lot of GXP. We used to save that sh*t up.

But now, since I only have one mech, should I use at least some of that 54,000 plus GXP?

(With this new stingy skill tree I will probably never have a strong hybrid Mauler again. I can't have the modules any more. And I have to spend all my SP on stuff I don't want.)

I did read the posts, couldn't find a good answer to this.

Thanks very much.

#27 BodakOfSseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leftenant General
  • Leftenant General
  • 265 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:54 AM

View PostEric Flatulent, on 17 May 2017 - 05:39 AM, said:

Please forgive me. I only have one mech, Mauler MX-90.

It wasn't finished yet. Only got 21 SP. So I also converted the historic XP (?) and got 8 more SP.

But I also received a lot of GXP. We used to save that sh*t up.

But now, since I only have one mech, should I use at least some of that 54,000 plus GXP?

(With this new stingy skill tree I will probably never have a strong hybrid Mauler again. I can't have the modules any more. And I have to spend all my SP on stuff I don't want.)

I did read the posts, couldn't find a good answer to this.

Thanks very much.

Okay one mech, 21 SP from converting,
Converting HSP per my guide then allowed you to buy 8 more SP, so you've got 29 SP total.

That GXP is now good for only one thing: Buying more SP. The only difference is that the GXP can be spent to buy SP for any mech you wish.

Those GXP will convert to 67 SP (with a Cbill spend of 3,015,000)
Since you've got 29 SP already, you only need to buy another 62 SP to fully master this mech (29+62=91).

You will have enough GXP to buy 5 more skill nodes on your next mech.

---I realized this morning I left some important steps out of my initial post(s); that being the decision tree for converting points. I'm going to modify my original post a bit.

Edited by ScottAleric, 17 May 2017 - 05:56 AM.

#28 Eric Flatulent

Rookie

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:01 AM

View PostScottAleric, on 17 May 2017 - 05:54 AM, said:

Okay one mech, 21 SP from converting,
Converting HSP per my guide then allowed you to buy 8 more SP, so you've got 29 SP total.

That GXP is now good for only one thing: Buying more SP. The only difference is that the GXP can be spent to buy SP for any mech you wish.

Those GXP will convert to 67 SP (with a Cbill spend of 3,015,000)
Since you've got 29 SP already, you only need to buy another 62 SP to fully master this mech (29+62=91).

You will have enough GXP to buy 5 more skill nodes on your next mech.

---I realized this morning I left some important steps out of my initial post(s); that being the decision tree for converting points. I'm going to modify my original post a bit.

Excellent answer.

Straight to the facts.

Thanks for sharing.

#29 LMP

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 277 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:50 AM

View PostTesunie, on 16 May 2017 - 09:59 PM, said:

I will have to disagree about the effectiveness of JJs, and about how well the JJ skills are for mechs with JJs on them.

You see, JJs effectiveness will depend upon how many you have as well as what class of mech they are on. JJs are horrid on Assault class mechs, and alright on Heavy mechs. But JJs on a Medium or Light mech? They can really earn their keep.

This also will depend upon how you use them. Use them to get over "pebbles" with only a single JJ on your mech? Yeah. The JJ skills will be pointless to you. JJs on, say, a medium mech like the Huntsmen and you can really do some poking and peaking. Jump Sniping is still very much a thing, as well as jumping to try and avoid incoming fire as well as redirecting some damage to your legs (instead of that, say, nearly destroyed side torso).

The JJ skills make taking JJs even MORE worth it, and make them even more effective. On every Huntsmen I've skilled out so far, I have found it very worth taking (nearly) all the JJ skills possible. Really helpful to my particular play style.

Hum. It will give that warning if there is any skill in the tree you "could" take but don't have the equipment for (an example are ECM skills if you have no ECM, or AMS skills if you have no AMS). It should still let you purchase and use SPs...

My best guess is you don't have enough SPs unlocked to purchase the skill? Only a guess, seen as I can't actually see what's going on...

I checked a different mech that I have successfully configured where the ADD SP button is not grayed out and I have plenty of MC, XP, GXP, HXP, C-Bills, GSP and HSP available so I have plenty of funds. If I try to use ECM skills on a mech that has no ECM I can't even activate it. Is there a way to reset the entire skill tree on the problem mech so I can start over and will I lose a bunch of money if I do that?

#30 Dorthak

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:57 AM

So do we no longer need 3 of each mech?

#31 Jay Leon Hart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:16 AM

View PostDorthak, on 17 May 2017 - 10:57 AM, said:

So do we no longer need 3 of each mech?

That is correct, treat yourself to a single 'mech of your choice and go bananas! Posted Image

#32 Rhaezor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 122 posts
  • LocationPT

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:25 PM

ok so...
HSP are the lvl it had and can be used to buy SP - can be used only by the mech/variants
HXP is the xp that we had and will get in a certain mech, and now can be used to buy SP for it and other variants
GSP how are general skill points won?
GXP the classic general xp that can be used to buy skill points for any mech

Still a bit confused can you correct what I said wrong please, thks in advance.

#33 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:47 PM

ok so...
HSP are the lvl it had and can be used to buy SP - can be used only by the mech/variants

Players prior to the patch will have this on any of their mechs that they had purchased skills previously. If you have more than one mech of the same variant, do not convert more than 91pts initially.

HXP is the xp that we had and will get in a certain mech, and now can be used to buy SP for it and other variants

Correct - HXP + Cbills = SP (skill points) or convert HXP to XP for the 400xp to respect a mech (if you unload a skill previously purchased)

GSP how are general skill points won?

GSP is not won but was part of the conversion of modules purchased prior to Dec 2016 announcement that, if they still existed in the players inventory was converted to GSP. Players new to the game who had not purchased any modules will not see GSP. GSP is treated like SP but it is not restricted to one mech. Once used up it can never be replenished.

GXP the classic general xp that can be used to buy skill points for any mech

GXP is earned on drops, then GXP+Cbills converted into SP but for any mech.

Still a bit confused can you correct what I said wrong please, thks in advance.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 17 May 2017 - 06:48 PM.

#34 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:58 PM

View PostLMP, on 17 May 2017 - 06:50 AM, said:

I checked a different mech that I have successfully configured where the ADD SP button is not grayed out and I have plenty of MC, XP, GXP, HXP, C-Bills, GSP and HSP available so I have plenty of funds. If I try to use ECM skills on a mech that has no ECM I can't even activate it. Is there a way to reset the entire skill tree on the problem mech so I can start over and will I lose a bunch of money if I do that?

Confirmed. It was a bug. If you haven't yet, read the recent hot fix patch notes. There were certain variants of some mechs that couldn't be leveled (couldn't purchase SPs for them). You just got lucky and happened to be trying to level one of the few bugged mechs.

Should be fixed soon though.

#35 TheLightHorseman

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 12:58 PM

How do you use the actual nodes, eg, I've unlocked advanced zoom, seismic sensor, but they won't work in game.
Help!Posted Image

#36 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 01:21 PM

View PostPhasmidus, on 30 May 2017 - 12:58 PM, said:

How do you use the actual nodes, eg, I've unlocked advanced zoom, seismic sensor, but they won't work in game.
Help!Posted Image

Once they are unlocked and activated, they should auto-work.

For Advanced Zoom, you will need to press your "advanced zoom" key to activate. Strangely, it's a different button from your normal zoom key. I think it's Z or something default? I'd suggest looking through your keybindings and see what one it is and/or change it to an easier spot for you to access (if needed). For the most part, Adv Zoom is only... marginally helpful and can be a hindrance (as it blinds you to what is happening to the sides of you).

For Seismic Sensor, it is on by default. Any time you come to a stop (actually stopped, that brief moment you stop between reversing and going forwards, or even landing at the end of a jump, etc), you will start to notice little "red pings" on your radar/mini-map if there are enemies nearby who are moving.

#37 TheLightHorseman

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 06:54 PM

Thanks, I'll check out my settings, I think that with the seismic sensor they have a bigger range. (maybe I didn't see that upgrade in the skill tree though) Posted Image

#38 xMEPHISTOx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 11:24 AM

View PostBigBadVlad, on 16 May 2017 - 07:43 PM, said:

oh gawd what?!??!?!?!?!

yep not even firing it up till I have some hours to spend on this..... this...... thing they've created..... thanks guys for trying to help but boy, you showed me quickly it's going to take time.... lots of time

This time issue is a problem, thx PGI...i for one do not have hrs to waste just getting my 50+ mechs back to where they were prior to the skill wipe, will just go play some WoT or WT in the meantime lol. Oh well i miss my mechs though.

#39 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 05:20 PM

View PostxMEPHISTOx, on 31 May 2017 - 11:24 AM, said:

This time issue is a problem, thx PGI...i for one do not have hrs to waste just getting my 50+ mechs back to where they were prior to the skill wipe, will just go play some WoT or WT in the meantime lol. Oh well i miss my mechs though.

Just do them like the rest of us... One at a time. Start with your favorites and just level a mech out maybe once a week to use. It will keep your play varied and interesting, let you play some of your older mechs you may not have played in some time, and you'll slowly work your way up.

You'll probably come up with a general leveling system/path for yourself as you go, making it so each mech is leveled faster.

It's a good change for the game (my opinion). I don't see any way that such a skill system could be made any faster or even predone for you. Just so many choices now, compared to the checklist before hand.

(And no, I'm not saying it's perfect. It isn't, but it's much better than what we had before.)

#40 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 08:41 AM

View PostDiamondDwarf, on 04 August 2017 - 08:11 AM, said:

This skillsystem and specially the UI of it...the biggest CRAP Ive ever seen in ANY game.
What the heck? Who designed this crap? 10 colours, thousand buttons omg
This game is already bad but that..It took my over 10minutes to figure out how to skill my mech.
Pls dont develop any other games PGI..

Hum... counting the actual number of clicks... I'll say about 3 to purchase SPs (if you have HSPs or GSPs, it's a lot easier, and purchasing the SPs is the hardest part for people to figure out I've found), then 91 clicks for the skill selection itself, and then another 2 max to confirm it all... I'm sure you do more clicks within a single match played...

I find once people figure out how to purchase the SPs they need and go through the process a time or three, it tends to get real easy to level your mechs up then. The first few mechs took me a while to do as well, but now I can skill out a mech completely in very short time. Within a few moments.

I do kinda wish that you could select a lower skill and it would select the shortest path to said skill to speed things up. I can always adjust that path later if I need to as long as I haven't confirmed my selection yet. About the only thing I honestly feel the skill selection system could use, and it would really help when setting skills up.

Differences of opinion here I guess...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users