#41 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 05 August 2017 - 04:13 AM

View PostDiamondDwarf, on 04 August 2017 - 08:11 AM, said:

This skillsystem and specially the UI of it...the biggest CRAP Ive ever seen in ANY game.
What the heck? Who designed this crap? 10 colours, thousand buttons omg
This game is already bad but that..It took my over 10minutes to figure out how to skill my mech.
Pls dont develop any other games PGI..

where are the thousands of buttons? there are about 250 skills + maybe an extra 10 buttons, meaning at very most 270 buttons in the skill tree, so where are the extra 730+ buttons to take you too a thousand?

#42 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 05 August 2017 - 06:02 AM

This skillsystem and specially the UI of it...the biggest CRAP Ive ever seen in ANY game.
What the heck? Who designed this crap? 10 colours, thousand buttons omg

The hyperbole is strong with this one.

This game is already bad but that..

If it's so bad, why are you still playing it? It sounds like you'd be happier if you didn't play the game anymore.

It took my over 10minutes to figure out how to skill my mech.

Slow learner? You could just look up some of the numerous tutorials for the Skill system if you're having trouble. Also, 10 minutes isn't long at all.

Pls dont develop any other games PGI..

I think they're waiting for you to stop complaining first.

#43 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 06:07 AM

I'm going back through some Mechs I have not played in a while. Some of them were early skill tree attempts. Now I look at them with horror after learning what is important. I need 30-50 new ones for some.

One thing I've been upping is Mobility at the expense of weapons. I noticed that my being able to turn and start and stop etc was like using a Trial Mech.

I'd rather my Mechs handle well and the same rather than have different weapons pluses.

#44 Alexander of Macedon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 06:40 AM

Mm, your baseline should pretty much always be skilling Mobility out at least to nab all the Speed Tweak nodes, possibly filling out most or all of the rest of it. Speed and agility are kings, the actual decisions are on which of Survival/Firepower/Sensors/Operations you take. Plus a strike dip into consumables if you're a scumbag. ;)

#45 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 06 August 2017 - 03:08 PM

View PostAlexander of Macedon, on 06 August 2017 - 06:40 AM, said:

Mm, your baseline should pretty much always be skilling Mobility out at least to nab all the Speed Tweak nodes, possibly filling out most or all of the rest of it. Speed and agility are kings, the actual decisions are on which of Survival/Firepower/Sensors/Operations you take. Plus a strike dip into consumables if you're a scumbag. Posted Image

You see, we each have our own order of operations with how we skill our mechs out. I rarely to never actually place any skills into mobility, for an example.

Personally, I find maxing (excluding 3 skills) the survival tree is first on my list, and I haven't had a mech not need the extra health yet. From there, if my mech has JJs, I max (except for 2 skills) that entire tree, as I find it extremely valuable for my play style.

From there, it's a toss up. If I have LRMs, than sensor skills for Adv Target Decay (and Radar Dep while I'm in the area). If it's a mech I know runs hot (laser mech), I'll get all (or as many) cool run skills as possible. If it's got a lot of a specific weapon, then I aim for those weapon quirks. (LRMs, Ballistics or PPCs, aim for velocity. Lasers or a hot build in general, heat gen and/or laser duration (depending upon the lasers).) Then, to top it off, I'll try to squeeze in some consumable skills and aim for an extra slot and UAV enhancements.

It's been working well for me so far as a working process. It gets a little questionable (as in, which do I need more) towards the end, but that's always to be expected.

I think in the end, we each will need to figure out what skills we benefit most from. A lot of people say all JJ skills are a complete waste. For me, they are little golden treasures I'll never surrender...

#46 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:36 PM

View PostTesunie, on 06 August 2017 - 03:08 PM, said:

You see, we each have our own order of operations with how we skill our mechs out. I rarely to never actually place any skills into mobility, for an example.

Personally, I find maxing (excluding 3 skills) the survival tree is first on my list, and I haven't had a mech not need the extra health yet. From there, if my mech has JJs, I max (except for 2 skills) that entire tree, as I find it extremely valuable for my play style.

exactly, in my case I tend to take skills which emphisise the main attribute of that chassisk for example the SDR-5V is the most mobile Mech in the game so I take the majority of mobility and only the 8JJ 40 tonners are able to jump better so I max out the Jumpjet skills, as I use it more as a scout than front line combat Mech it gets sensor range and target info gathering.

the SDR-5K is all about its machine guns so gets all the machine gun, extra ammo and range nodes from firepower, but it is still a Spider so also gets mobility and most of Jumpjets.

the SDR-5D is an electronic warfare Mech so gets most of sensors which are low priority on the K and V, but it is still a Spider so gets some mobility, Jumpjets and firepower

because they are the same chassis they share about half the skills, but the distribution of the other half is completely diferant from the V and D to the K, and the V and D have about 25% diferance, I use 2 5Ds, one configured for close quaters combat, hit a few times then run the other for long range, so in terms of firepower the long range 5D gets more range, the brawler gets more cooldown

I think in the end, we each will need to figure out what skills we benefit most from. A lot of people say all JJ skills are a complete waste. For me, they are little golden treasures I'll never surrender...

agreed, and the more jets a Mech has the more usefull those skills are

#47 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 06 August 2017 - 10:35 PM

I personally go for mostly non-meta builds, so I tend to have unusual skill builds. For example:

On my MCII-2 LRM boat I have completely maxed out the weapons category apart from ballistics and flamer skills, and maxed the sensor category apart from ECM, Target Retention, Seismic Sensor, and Advanced Zoom. I also put 5 points into survival to max out my LAMS. This build with these skills has never done less than 1000 damage in a round, or gotten less than 600 match points.

My MCII-4 is very similar, just not finished, and only does an average of 800 damage with 450 match points.

Build your skills to compliment your play style and your loadout, not to compliment someone else's supposedly 'expert' suggestions. (no offense intended to the experts)

#48 Falreth

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:42 PM

Out of curiosity is there a way to reset your skill tree, if say you find you hate a certain skill, or doesn't really help as much as you thought it would?

#49 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:52 PM

View PostFalreth, on 13 October 2017 - 11:42 PM, said:

Out of curiosity is there a way to reset your skill tree, if say you find you hate a certain skill, or doesn't really help as much as you thought it would?

You can at any time go into your skills and deselect any skill, and then apply changes. If you do, you can also always re-enable a previously unlocked skill with only a little experience, instead of purchasing a new SP.

I recommend, if you are scrapping an entire tree, just deselect the top skill and all the rest also get deselected. If you are reconsidering a "on the spot complete overall" (AKA: you intend to do all your changes in one session), it is best to just deselect the top skill of each tree, and then start applying skills again. As long as you haven't applied your skill changes, then it is free to activate and deactivate a given skill that has already been unlocked. Just like how you can select more skills than you have SP to unlock, or can even go over 91 skill nodes (provided it isn't saved).

The Skill Tree is surprisingly flexible and very easy to adjust, provided you are careful and don't try to rush things or apply changes before you are actually ready for it.

#50 Falreth

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:21 AM

Thanks I am a lot less worried about messing around in this extremely complicated skill tree system, knowing I can just take it all back if I don't like it

#51 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:29 AM

View PostFalreth, on 14 October 2017 - 12:21 AM, said:

Thanks I am a lot less worried about messing around in this extremely complicated skill tree system, knowing I can just take it all back if I don't like it

It will still cost you SP to unlock skills, and experience to reactivate a node, but overall it's not a permanent thing. It's not a forever life choice once you get a skill, but something you can change around for a slight cost.

So it's something you want to be careful with, but if you are willing to pay the cost, than you are fine making the changes. Be careful, but you don't have to be too careful. (And if you don't save, just like with your mech build in mechlab, you can do anything you want as a "theory" build.)

I'm hoping I am relaying this in a clear manner.

#52 talbs

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 48 posts
  • LocationAUSTRALIA

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:40 AM

Thanks

#53 MoonDragn

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationMonrovia, MD

Posted 23 October 2017 - 06:26 AM

Wow I haven't played in over a year this is going to take some figuring out. I have hundreds of mechs, probably will just prioritize which ones to skill first. What are the best mechs of each class right now?

#54 BodakOfSseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leftenant General
  • Leftenant General
  • 265 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 24 October 2017 - 10:58 AM

I hadn't realized my thread was still active O.o sorry, I've been away from the forums for a while.

Best mechs? Meh.
My take is skill up/play what you have fun in.

#55 The Strange

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 238 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:17 PM

View PostTesunie, on 14 October 2017 - 08:29 AM, said:

It will still cost you SP to unlock skills, and experience to reactivate a node, but overall it's not a permanent thing. It's not a forever life choice once you get a skill, but something you can change around for a slight cost.

So it's something you want to be careful with, but if you are willing to pay the cost, than you are fine making the changes. Be careful, but you don't have to be too careful. (And if you don't save, just like with your mech build in mechlab, you can do anything you want as a "theory" build.)

I'm hoping I am relaying this in a clear manner.

A note on this that I have found. It take a skill point to unlock a skill node. If you later deselect that skill node, you do NOT get your skill point back. So in this manner, it takes like 290 skill points or so to unlock all of the skill nodes for a given Mech. You can only have 91 nodes active at one time though.

So if you run different weapon setups on a Mech, for example a missile setup and a ballistic setup, you might need to unlock more than 91 nodes in the tree for that Mech so that you have the nodes for missile racks, AC, Gauss charging, etc. Even if you don't have them on the Mech at the time due to a different build. Or if you sometimes run a Mech with JJs and sometimes without on the same variant.

So you may end up spending more than the 91 on certain Mechs if you run different setups on them.

#56 Draco Llasa

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:54 AM

thanks for writing this up, i had been having a hard time sort out what was was, and what to do with each of the items.
Thank you for putting this together, it was helpful.

#57 xxxRocketxxx

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 10:29 AM

The entire time I play with the skill tree I want to kill myself.

How do I do the skill tree the fast easy thoughtless way to get it over with?

Edited by xxxRocketxxx, 07 October 2018 - 10:30 AM.

#58 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 12:02 PM

What do you mean? How do you most quickly produce the experience needed?

Take all the Mechs you want to level, turn on Premium Time and play for one victory in each. The first victory will give you double experience. And the Premium Time will give you another bonus.

That, or spend money on buying C-Bills and GXP.

Of course, you could just play whatever you like, have fun and every few matches check whether you can afford new skillpoints. ;)

Edited by Darakor Stormwind, 07 October 2018 - 12:03 PM.

#59 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 02:49 PM

View PostxxxRocketxxx, on 07 October 2018 - 10:29 AM, said:

The entire time I play with the skill tree I want to kill myself.

How do I do the skill tree the fast easy thoughtless way to get it over with?

Three things you can just do for most every mech:
- Go through Operations tree and get all the Cool Run nodes you can.
- You can get most/almost all of the survival tree.
- Maybe some module skills, for UAV bonuses etc to desire.
- Fill in rest with relevant firepower skills, such as cooldown. If you have ballistics or missiles (or PPCs), get all the Velocity ones you can get.

I will make mention, with the new ability to save loadouts (and skill tree configurations), it may be possible to save a "universal" skill loadout and just load it onto all your mechs.

For example, this is my Uziel's Skill loadout: abf5bc31a00113000b0efefff7f0000000080ffdeef77660f000000000000
If I wanted all of my mechs to share that skill tree loadout, I could by simply clicking "load" (after I've saved it of course first). (Warning: The code I entered above requires your mech to be able to take JJs to be "loadable".)

So, you CAN make the skill tree system much easier to navigate. Save a skill tree with "your basics" with enough leftover skills to tailor the rest as needed. If, for instance, you always go for full survival and the cool run of Operations, have that as your base with the rest of the skills open to tailoring the skills to that specific mech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users