6 replies to this topic

#1 FunkyT

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 139 posts
  • LocationAt the Front, overextending, with no support

Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:00 PM

So with the new skilltree you can get up to 5% reduced UAC jam chance. Sounds good, can't go wrong with more dakka in my opinion.

But I'm kinda confused how I am to understand these 5%.

Since it's kind of a low number, at first I thought that it would just substract 5% from the jam chance, so reducing it from 17% (I believe) down to 12%. That's quite a lot, pretty much the same as the old 30% jam chance quirks if my math isn't off.

But then I've seen that there are still the old 30% jam chance quirks around, most of them just reduced by 5% or something.
So is the 5% reduced chance from the skilltree to be taken the same way these quirks do, reducing the 17% jam chance by a meager 5%? That would amount to an astonishing 0.85% reduction in jam chance, down to 16.25% total, for a considerable amount of skilltree investment. In that case, taking these nodes can't possibly be worth it. Right?

So, anybody knows the specifics and wants to enlighten me?

Edited by FunkyT, 17 May 2017 - 02:01 PM.

#2 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:18 PM

Having tested it I literally couldn't see a difference over 8 years.

Put your points elsewhere.

#3 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:28 PM

I seen almost no difference from it so i would guess and say its 5% of the 15-17% we have now. or 0.75-0.85% less

#4 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:33 PM

I put it on my EXE, it's 2 points extra.. I dunno if it is helping, but those range, duration reduction and all that heat/cool run goodness sure is! :)

#5 FunkyT

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:00 AM

So if nobody can spot a difference, it's probably multiplicative. In that case, they should really bump up these numbers in order have these notes create any value at all. Maybe they could increase the jam chance reduction to 7.5% per node, making it 15% in total which would bump the jam chance down by around 2.5%. Or if that's too much (looking at the Kodiak), maybe at least 5% per node, making it a total of 10% reduced jam chance.

Has anyone actually tried taking these nodes on a mech that already has reduced jam chance, see if the quirks add up or are displayed seperately? Guess if they added up, that would be a clear answer.

#6 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,071 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:11 AM

i think its more of a hardpoint issue. like the loyalty wolverine i played with earlier had a 40% jam chance quirk, but could only mount a single gun, assuming that adds up with the 5% from the nodes thats a 45% jam reduction on a single gun. this would take jam chance down to 9.35%. or 9.69% if the 40% quirk is applied to the jam chance and the 5% from the skill tree was applied to the resulting value. subtractive would be more intuitive i think, but i dont understand why pgi would do multiplicative in one place and subtractive in another, thats just inconsistent.

lots of mechs still seem to have large reductions in jam chance though, disproportionately more than the skill tree value. reguardless of whats happening its rather fishy. perhaps it would be better to start halving quirks and doubling the skill tree values. wasnt the skill tree supposed to take precedence? and its not just uac jam chance, im seeing a lot of massive quirks everywhere, but the skill tree values are very small.

Edited by LordNothing, 18 May 2017 - 01:18 AM.

#7 FunkyT

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:52 AM

The problem with that is, that the quirks are still needed to balance out some mechs.
Further reducing quirks and generally increasing skill node values would make IS mechs slightly weaker and would make Clan mechs a lot stronger. Kodiaks and Marauder-IIC don't need big offensive quirks, however mechs like the Trebuchet, Vindicator and several others do.

However, your idea might work out if it would only be applied to IS mechs. Like further reducing quirks, but (as you suggested) doubling the skill node values for all IS mechs. In other words, having a more distinct difference between IS and Clan skilltree values. I haven't actually played yet since the patch hit, but I don't think Clan mechs need any more value from the skilltree than what it offers right now.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users