New St Meta, Yes Already

31 replies to this topic

#1 Shifty McSwift

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:39 AM

Hey all, skill tree is almost a day old, so what are your meta thoughts?

For me the big ones are;

21 points in Mobility to get full speed tweak (or about 12 i think for half).

7 points into Sensors to get 100m of seismic sensor, or 15(?) to get 60% radar dep too.

7 points in Miscellaneous tree for 2x coolshot 18 and 1 UAV, or 10 for 2 UAVs

What is the finding for others on meta paths?

#2 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,876 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:43 AM

Im findng the torso speeds to be more important for assault mechs than the speed tweak.

And remember that if you have multiple kinds of weapons, its not cost effective to crank up all of them. Pick one and buff it.

#3 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:54 AM

Another one;

20 SP in Operations tree will get you to the full heat containment and coolrun bonuses.

This ends up being very valuable even if you have to take most of the tree to get them.

#4 Soul Catcher

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:56 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 17 May 2017 - 08:43 AM, said:

Im findng the torso speeds to be more important for assault mechs than the speed tweak.

And remember that if you have multiple kinds of weapons, its not cost effective to crank up all of them. Pick one and buff it.

I Agree

My Laser Vomit Marauder IIC felt very sluggish until i dedicated some points into the Torso tweaks and since Respec it isn't quite where it was when Elited but it's close enough that I really don't notice it.
Just couldn't let the most mobile Assault mech, arguably, feel all sluggish and fat.

#5 Wattila

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:57 AM

21 nodes in mobility for sure.

6 in Misc for double coolshot and 3 slots, good if you don't mind spending the credits. Probably going to be popular for comp play, less so for casual.

Sensors I'm not so sure about. It's 10 points to get 100m seismic and 60% Radar Derp. The thing is, 100m seismic is pretty crappy in my opinion. The TIG nodes along the way are pretty good, though. I'm seriously considering just putting 1 point here for the TIG.

17 points in right side of Survival on some heavily structure quirked mechs could also be popular.

#6 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:00 AM

Yeah I think mobility is at or near the top of the important trees list in general. The engine decoupling set rates mostly to lower than max capacity engines, and most were running near or at capacity engines pre patch, so for most it will feel sluggish for sure.

I have been stating frequently that up until a particular threshold (that changes at any players particular discretion), mobility IS survivability, it is far more crucial to your ability to survive than extra armor, granted both is always better if affordable, but unless one is comfortable with their new twist rates or near, Mobility tree will be high meta no doubt.

#7 Acehilator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 667 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:02 AM

Aux: 6 (2x buffed Coolshot + UAV is OP when you need it)
Sensors: 10 (left side, 3x Radar Dep + 1x Seismic, +2 nodes for long range builds, and/or +7 for ECM mechs, 2x Seismic and 2x ECM)
Operations: 9 (getting 50% of heat-related nodes for 45% of the skillpoints you would need for all heat nodes)
Jump Jets: lol
Mobility: minimum 15 (right side, 4x Kinetic Burst, 4x Hard Brake, 3x Anchor Turn, 1x Torso Pitch, 3x Speed Tweak)
Survival: rofl

51 points left for Firepower and more Mobility. Mostly going full on Firepower (depends on weaponry), drop remaining points in Mobility.

/edit: Made a mistake, Coolshot cooldown is not worth a point of course (base cooldown is 20sec), and ECM mechs only need to add +7 skillpoints to the base template.

Edited by Acehilator, 17 May 2017 - 10:24 AM.

#8 Mechwarrior1441491

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:03 AM

speed tweak seems destined for light mechs.

#9 William Mountbank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 671 posts
  • LocationBayern

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:04 AM

It's not possible to get Torso Speed on the Urbie without also having to have Torso Yaw.

I guess I now have 374.4° torso turn angle!

#10 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:08 AM

View PostAcehilator, on 17 May 2017 - 09:02 AM, said:

Aux: 7 (2x buffed Coolshot + UAV is OP when you need it)
Sensors: 10 (left side, 3x Radar Dep + 1x Seismic, +2 nodes for long range builds, and/or +11 for ECM mechs, all out info warfare)
Operations: 9 (getting 50% of heat-related nodes for 45% of the skillpoints you would need for all heat nodes)
Jump Jets: lol
Mobility: minimum 15 (right side, 4x Kinetic Burst, 4x Hard Brake, 3x Anchor Turn, 1x Torso Pitch, 3x Speed Tweak)
Survival: rofl

50 points left for Firepower and more Mobility. Mostly going full on Firepower (depends on weaponry), drop remaining points in Mobility.

I know you are going to flip but survival will be pretty damn good for a lot of mechs. Firepower is a very expensive tree if you are just looking for heat perks and some mechs have no problems in the firepower department naturally, and no real need to boost. Granted that is a very arguable case as to how far that applies, but in some cases I would be arguing it for sure.

#11 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,876 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:08 AM

View PostMechwarrior1441491, on 17 May 2017 - 09:03 AM, said:

speed tweak seems destined for light mechs.

More like anchor turn. At 150 kph, turn radius is everything!

#12 Mechwarrior1441491

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:09 AM

I mean, the speed tweak bonuses for heavy and assaults, even when maxed drops you a few KPH below what we got before or am I seeing things??

#13 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,876 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:10 AM

View PostWilliam Mountbank, on 17 May 2017 - 09:04 AM, said:

It's not possible to get Torso Speed on the Urbie without also having to have Torso Yaw.

I guess I now have 374.4° torso turn angle!

!!!

Suggestion forum time. Urbanmechs should receive free unlocks on torso yaw that do not count to its 91 total.

#14 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:12 AM

View PostMechwarrior1441491, on 17 May 2017 - 09:09 AM, said:

I mean, the speed tweak bonuses for heavy and assaults, even when maxed drops you a few KPH below what we got before or am I seeing things??

Its the same, 7.5% at max. Might not be worth it for 3 kph extra on a direwolf (though I would argue it more so important because DW lol), but for an extra 5kph on my kodi along with torso bonuses for 21 SP? That is a deal baby :)

#15 Rusty Metal Skullgun

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:13 AM

View PostMechwarrior1441491, on 17 May 2017 - 09:09 AM, said:

Yes. Speed Tweak is the same bonus now as it used to be.

#16 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:18 AM

Speed Tweak is worth several tons of engine. You're better off doing tweak and then dinning the engine down to get several tons back for DHS or whatever.

Same with the heat quirks in the Ops tree. Worth several tons of DHS.

Sensors are a tax on bad situational awareness. Train up Eyeballs 1.0 and you can spend the points where they do more good.

#17 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:20 AM

IMO there is no Skill Tree meta. At least not yet. Everyone has a bit different idea about what is most needed. All in Firepower? All in Survivability? All in Mobility? What is the right amount of Operations? How many Coolshots do you want and how OP are multiple enhanced Coolshots? Sensors?

I have done 5 Mechs on Live so far after doing 11 on PTS. So far there is no "cookie cutter" progress path through the ST for me. I find myself focusing on different Skill Classes to suit the different Mechs and the way I use them on the battlefield. I am surprised how many Mechs that I have chosen to bypass Speed Tweak for something else that I felt was more important. ON a couple Mechs I have put a lot of SP into the Firepower Skill Class and Operations for heat management while others I have focused on Sensors, Mobility and Survivability.

It is interesting but a lot more nerve wracking than it was on PTS where nothing was permanent. So far I have been pretty pleased with my results based on testing the builds.

#18 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:24 AM

View PostShifty McSwift, on 17 May 2017 - 08:54 AM, said:

Another one;

20 SP in Operations tree will get you to the full heat containment and coolrun bonuses.

This ends up being very valuable even if you have to take most of the tree to get them.

Coolrun does not offer as much, overall, as getting heat gen from firepower.

Tested / calc'd it already. There is a very marginal difference and it's 0.5 between both (if having 18DHS+).

Dissipation means nothing on mechs with low DHS count. In that case you are FAR better off with weapon heat gen.

That is where the meta will be.

#19 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:28 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 17 May 2017 - 09:24 AM, said:

Tested / calc'd it already. There is a very marginal difference and it's 0.5 between both (if having 18DHS+).

Dissipation means nothing on mechs with low DHS count. In that case you are FAR better off with weapon heat gen.

I can name a whole bunch of builds using more than that number of double heatsinks, dissipation rates seem to have jumped in importance for clanmechs in particular, but I could be imagining things, and not just for side torso loss related heat problems.

Is it just the mechs I use maybe? IDK heat dissipation has been one of the most noticable nerfs for me, so any relief on that end is snapped up by me.

#20 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:32 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 17 May 2017 - 09:24 AM, said:

So you use Li Song mech lab?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users