33 replies to this topic

#21 aresfiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:44 PM

View PostJason1138, on 23 July 2012 - 12:40 PM, said:

mistakes often happen when people are in a hurry to say something smart assed

They also happen when the text is small and you have bad eyesight so don't get on your self righteous trip, and come down to earth.

i realize that othe games came before this one but this game has announced a break with past games numerous times so i dont think there's a 1 to 1 relationship. in terms of game decisions, MWO almost totally ignores Mechwarrior 4 and its add ons, for instance

leaving the clans out, leaving out in game re-arming and repair, etc, you could name numerous breaks with any one or all of those previous titles

It has announced a break, but you're arguing the gameplay elements with how close the mechs physically get to eachother. They have gotten physically close in the videos and the battles look like they play close to the same as in ALL previous Mechwarrior titles.

#22 Jason1138

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 800 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:46 PM

"and the battles look like they play close to the same as in ALL previous Mechwarrior titles."

not to me. not really interested in straining your eyesight talking about it though

#23 aresfiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:48 PM

View PostJason1138, on 23 July 2012 - 12:46 PM, said:

not to me. not really interested in straining your eyesight talking about it though

It's not a matter of opinion, when a mech walks close to another one the battles enter a close range.

Also, what's up with the invalid arguments and wild assumptions?

#24 Artimus

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:53 PM

View Postwanderer, on 22 July 2012 - 10:06 AM, said:

In the videos, torso mounted weapons seem to have a relatively limited vertical aspect. When you can easily jump over a 'Mech or to a height with arm mounted weapons, you may well save yourself much pain and suffering.

Agree completely. I think that many people will in-fact choose to get rid of jump jets, but I have a feeling that the elite Mechwarriors will choose to retain them, and will be able to use them quite effectively.

#25 Hexial

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:55 PM

View PostArtimus, on 23 July 2012 - 12:53 PM, said:

Agree completely. I think that many people will in-fact choose to get rid of jump jets, but I have a feeling that the elite Mechwarriors will choose to retain them, and will be able to use them quite effectively.

There must be a mech with nothing but jump jets. Just for the lulz, and to create a new move called the Falcon Flap.

I wonder how high you can go? Not as high as being hit by a giant in Skyrim, perhaps.

#26 Shadowscythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 484 posts
  • LocationAt home, USA

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:07 PM

View PostHexial, on 23 July 2012 - 12:55 PM, said:

There must be a mech with nothing but jump jets. Just for the lulz, and to create a new move called the Falcon Flap.

I wonder how high you can go? Not as high as being hit by a giant in Skyrim, perhaps.

A 10/15/10 spider will probably be great fun :(

Can get up to 11/17/11 if you only want 3.5 tons leftover before weapons and armor :P
That is with XL and endo B)

As for how high you can actually go in MWO. That will be something I will be testing :ph34r:
And then hope that I don't double leg my mech since there appears (in some vids, like the heavy mech vid) that you can take fall damage from using your own jump jets :wacko: (it is pretty much at the very end)

Edited by Shadowscythe, 23 July 2012 - 01:16 PM.

#27 tPagen

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 73 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:47 PM

The question the OP asked was this:

"Can the CPLT-K2 have the Founder's bonus?"

Everyone else changed it to this:

"How useful are Jump Jets going to be?"

#28 Wolv e

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNew Mexico USA

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:51 PM

3 reasons not to take that particular video as more than what it is, promotional only with no bearing on gameplay...

1) Warhammer (not gonna happen)
2) Ejected and fell into own Fusion reactor explosion (not gonna happen)
3) Atlas moves into view unseen due to smoke (not gonna happen)

In all seriousness tho, Jump Jets are situational, good for City fighting, sniping, and hiding. DFA is pretty much a last resort move for most of not all mechwarriors, you mech is just about dead, so you take out the enemy mech with your dieing breath..........

#29 SyberSmoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationOrbiting Reality

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:04 PM

View PostWolv e, on 23 July 2012 - 01:51 PM, said:

1) Warhammer (not gonna happen)

Not true, Warhammer may make it into the game with significant redesign. The unseen have already been talked about and are even in the FAQ for the game. If the devs want to put in the Warhammer...they will.

#30 Shadowscythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 484 posts
  • LocationAt home, USA

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:36 PM

View Postzenthon, on 23 July 2012 - 01:47 PM, said:

The question the OP asked was this:

"Can the CPLT-K2 have the Founder's bonus?"

Everyone else changed it to this:

"How useful are Jump Jets going to be?"

Yep, questions were answered and the thread continued to talked about some of the replies, without having to make new topics.
It happens :)

It also saves space on the forums B)

#31 BurningArmor

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:48 PM

I played in a couple of Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries leagues for awhile. Historically, the Catapult was not all that popular. You would see them occasionally because they were cheap for a missile mech. The new guy and the mech jock short on C-bills might go with it. This was for two reasons.
1. There was other mechs that could carry more missiles, and still had additional fire power for protection of self. The Mad Cat was one such mech.
2. Jump jets in those days were not of long duration. Nor could you control the direction while in flight. The most common tactic with jump jets in MW4 was to pop straight up at extreme range, and put a gauss round on the target before dropping back into cover. This tactic did not work with LRMs due to the time it took to gain a target lock.

Edited by BurningArmor, 23 July 2012 - 03:05 PM.

#32 Jakob Knight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:49 PM

View PostBurningArmor, on 23 July 2012 - 02:48 PM, said:

I played in a couple of Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries leagues for awhile. Historically, the Catapult was not all that popular. You would see them occasionally because they were cheap for a missile mech. The new guy and the mech jock short on C-bills might go with it. This was for two reasons.
1. There was other mechs that could carry more missiles, and still had additional fire power for protection of self. The Mad Cat was one such mech.
2. Jump jets in those days were not of long duration. Nor could you control the direction while in flight. The most common tactic with jump jets in MW4 was to pop straight up at extreme range, and put a gauss round on the target before dropping back into cover. This tactic did not work with LRMs due to the time it took to gain a target lock.

The main reason you didn't see Catapults in MW4 was that there was no other objective but to bring the biggest mech with the biggest guns onto the battlefield, and that isn't a Catapult. Note also in MW4, indirect fire was removed because of its power in MW3. These two factors made the Catapult a very unpopular choice when 100-tonners were all people would run and it -had- to be facing the enemy to fire. The inclusion of Clantech and omnimechs alongside the Inner Sphere designs also penalized this mech, as the Clan mechs were later-generation versions of the Catapult.

MWO changes all of this. Indirect fire is very much part of this game, the game is designed such that bringing in the biggest mech might actually work against you, and there is no Clantech to eclipse Inner Sphere designs. This is why using Mechwarrior 4 to judge how effective a unit will be in this game is prone to many faults, not the least being that we have very little info on the game itself beyond the stated goals of the Dev team to avoid a repeat of the 'arms race' of previous games.

Edited by Jakob Knight, 23 July 2012 - 03:50 PM.

#33 BurningArmor

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:17 AM

View PostJakob Knight, on 23 July 2012 - 03:49 PM, said:

The main reason you didn't see Catapults in MW4 was that there was no other objective but to bring the biggest mech with the biggest guns onto the battlefield, and that isn't a Catapult. Note also in MW4, indirect fire was removed because of its power in MW3. These two factors made the Catapult a very unpopular choice when 100-tonners were all people would run and it -had- to be facing the enemy to fire. The inclusion of Clantech and omnimechs alongside the Inner Sphere designs also penalized this mech, as the Clan mechs were later-generation versions of the Catapult.

MWO changes all of this. Indirect fire is very much part of this game, the game is designed such that bringing in the biggest mech might actually work against you, and there is no Clantech to eclipse Inner Sphere designs. This is why using Mechwarrior 4 to judge how effective a unit will be in this game is prone to many faults, not the least being that we have very little info on the game itself beyond the stated goals of the Dev team to avoid a repeat of the 'arms race' of previous games.

I certainly hope you are right. Going to a more objective oriented MW is a good thing. I for one look forward to trying out a Cat.

As for the biggest mech, I was used to not having the biggest mech. League rules limited the number of each type of mech to one in most mission types. My most frequent ride was a varient of the Thanatos so I'm thinking heavies might be the way to go for me. Though I must confess, I do have fond memories of embarassing a couple of people from a varient of a light mech called the Kit Fox. Maybe a light mech to start out with. We'll see...

Question: Are there any plans for a "Clan" expansion later?

Edited by BurningArmor, 24 July 2012 - 07:25 AM.

#34 Gabbatek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 173 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:54 PM

how do you fit xl engines?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users