It Comes Down To Why You Play

10 replies to this topic

#1 Sharkomodo

• PipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:28 PM

That's really it. If this is a video game to you, and you play other video games, you seem to be willing to accept this skill tree disaster. And honestly, good for you, but maybe try to have a little empathy instead of sneering at people choosing to leave.

I like BattleTech, the board game. So much I have 1100 miniatures and play every weekend AND I've even written for them in a BUNCH of published game supplements. I've designed BattleMechs like the Omen, Bruin, SHockwave, Mjolnir, and a bunch of others. I wrote the story "Hornet's Nest" in the fiction anthology "BattleTech: 25 years of art and fiction".

I don't play MechWarrior video games. They simply are nothing like the universe I love. The Universe I love does NOT allow rampant Mech customization. I like it that way. Everyone THINKS they build great Mechs. Very very few really do.

I don't play other video games. I hate rampant clicking, being a female ANYTHING, the grind of fantasy MMOs, RTS in general and yes, skill trees. I played MWO, that was it.

As of the skill tree drop, MWO looks so little like BT, that my interest plummeted. I'm out. My cool "BattleTech flavored video game" became a needlessly complicated, unrecognizable hot mess. Those of you who like it probably like MW video games. I don't. I like the core table top game, and this AIN'T that. So good luck, have fun, and I lose. Woot.

Is it really that hard for you guys staying to understand why that causes some ill will?

PS: HBS coulda been cool, but they're making stupid changes too. That also won't be BT, so, suck it.

#2 Reno Blade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,456 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:07 PM

Nice to know that you are a great BT fan.
I played all BT and MW games myself since 98 or so, but I started my fandom with MW2 and came to know BT TT later.

Imho the game is closer to BT than any other MW game AND the skill tree changed hardly anything.
What is there that made MWO look less like BT than before?

#3 Sharkomodo

• PipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:45 PM

Even more Mech specialization and customization. I like stock mechs.

#4 50 50

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:19 AM

Not quite sure who you are firing shots at.
The internet is a pretty toxic place overall and people just behave poorly.
Doesn't mean we all need to.

The skill tree isn't a disaster, perhaps it didn't quite meet your concept of what an online shooter version of battletech should be, but it can't really. BT as a turn based strategy game really won't port across to a computer game that doesn't use strict time limits. It has to be adapted. It's the same for the HBS game.

In the end, we need to enjoy the game for what it is and what it offers.
We can all want more, changes here, different approaches.
We all see things differently and want to see our dreams realized.
All the ideas need to be reviewed and adapted.
But enjoy the game because you can drop in some very cool mechs and fight other mechs.
Enjoy it because it reminds you of the board game.
Enjoy it because you will meet a bunch of great people, great and talented pilots and have a chance to fight alongside and against them.
Take the hits.
Deal them out.
But be along for the ride and hope that you can instill some of what makes the genre great for you in others.
If some of your ideas can be adapted into the game and make it better for everyone, you have to put those forward, dsicuss them, work on them.
It seems like you have a bit of talent for writing, why not promote the BT universe with lore and flavour here in the forums so we can all enjoy it.
Who knows, maybe some of that will end up on those little planets in the Faction Play map.
:)

However, if the game is not something you can 'take as is' and you have to make that decision.
All the best.
I hope you find what you are looking for.

#5 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:34 AM

View PostSharkomodo, on 18 May 2017 - 05:28 PM, said:

[...]I've designed BattleMechs like the Omen, Bruin, SHockwave, Mjolnir, and a bunch of others.[...]

Those are not Battletech Mechs...those are Mechwarrior Darkage Mechs.
I'm confused now...are you a Battletech fan, you know maps with HEX fields and super complicated rules or a mechwarrior darkage fan, the failed cashgrab miniature game that is played like warhammer 2k?

#6 Sharkomodo

• PipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:37 AM

Um, buy the Technical Readout: 3085. Those mechs absolutely ARE BattleTech mechs, with nary a click in sight.

#7 Widowmaker1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,030 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:02 AM

View PostSharkomodo, on 18 May 2017 - 05:28 PM, said:

That's really it. If this is a video game to you, and you play other video games, you seem to be willing to accept this skill tree disaster. And honestly, good for you, but maybe try to have a little empathy instead of sneering at people choosing to leave.

I like BattleTech, the board game. So much I have 1100 miniatures and play every weekend AND I've even written for them in a BUNCH of published game supplements. I've designed BattleMechs like the Omen, Bruin, SHockwave, Mjolnir, and a bunch of others. I wrote the story "Hornet's Nest" in the fiction anthology "BattleTech: 25 years of art and fiction".

I don't play MechWarrior video games. They simply are nothing like the universe I love. The Universe I love does NOT allow rampant Mech customization. I like it that way. Everyone THINKS they build great Mechs. Very very few really do.

I don't play other video games. I hate rampant clicking, being a female ANYTHING, the grind of fantasy MMOs, RTS in general and yes, skill trees. I played MWO, that was it.

As of the skill tree drop, MWO looks so little like BT, that my interest plummeted. I'm out. My cool "BattleTech flavored video game" became a needlessly complicated, unrecognizable hot mess. Those of you who like it probably like MW video games. I don't. I like the core table top game, and this AIN'T that. So good luck, have fun, and I lose. Woot.

Is it really that hard for you guys staying to understand why that causes some ill will?

PS: HBS coulda been cool, but they're making stupid changes too. That also won't be BT, so, suck it.

little bit contradictory, no?

Based on your post, you will never, ever be happy with this game unless they take what *i* like about it (complex, meaningful customisation) and chuck it out of the window.

I also have no patience for people who think that slavishly following the rules of a turn based, dice rolling, table top miniature game will make a good, fun to play, real time fps/vehicle combat sim, because that is blatant idiocy.

#8 Sharkomodo

• PipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:56 PM

I don't want a real time game. I played MWO because it was a BattleTech flavored video game. The tree makes all resemblance to BT void. I want a turn based, lance on lance game that slavishly adheres to all the core rules of BT.

#9 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,456 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:42 AM

View PostSharkomodo, on 19 May 2017 - 04:56 PM, said:

I don't want a real time game. I played MWO because it was a BattleTech flavored video game. The tree makes all resemblance to BT void. I want a turn based, lance on lance game that slavishly adheres to all the core rules of BT.

Sorry but how does the change from Module to Skill Tree any difference for you then?
The game itself did not change in any direction that would make it different for you as a turn-based strategy player.
It might even get closer, as the cooldowns are now longer (small bit closer to TT 10sec rule).

#10 Sharkomodo

• PipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 11:57 AM

Because there are no skills in the TT miniatures game. None at all

#11 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:24 PM

The "old skilltree" was a placeholder .

And it was highest time to get rid of that, due to it´s depressing shallowness, which is extremely unfitting for even an FPS stompy robot game that has very loose ties with BT .

As I said in some other threads :
Please don´t be so salty, instead turn that anger and disappointment into a burning desire to find all the weak- and sweetspots .
In the end I think some of the people that hate it, will still dislike it, but at least know their way around the skilltree and take a good profit from well skilled mechs that are fun to drive again, even if the way everything drives and feels and performs is different from how it did before .

Now go and let off some steam in a mech of your choice, or don´t . Posted Image
Your decision

Edited by The Shortbus, 20 May 2017 - 12:25 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users