- - - - -

Are The Clan Mechs Ever Going To Be Properly Balanced?

56 replies to this topic

#21 Medicine Man

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 433 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:30 AM

You haven't address their immunity to short range torso weapons at all. Getting those leg hits are what I'm going for but it seems like their legs can take quite a bit of punishment as well. I don't really have any problems with IS light mechs because none of their pilots hang to brawl. They just shoot you a few times and then run until their side has a strong numerical advantage. Clan light mechs pilots don't have to play like that because their mechs are cheater. Artic Cheater pilots are fight like and act like they are in much larger mechs and that gives them a huge advantage. Especially because they are right to play that way. Their mechs are very difficult to hit and because of their cheater XL they are tough to kill too. You act like when I'm shooting at his leg he's doing nothing with his high damage low heat cheater clan weapons. What he's doing is shoving himself up against me and making my torso weapons useless!! They just fire over his head and won't track on a small upclose target worth jack because the mech won't bend at the waist enough.

By the way I take it they never brought ramming damage back?

Edited by Medicine Man, 19 May 2017 - 06:32 AM.

#22 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:35 AM

View PostMedicine Man, on 19 May 2017 - 06:19 AM, said:

You've bought that many mechs?

You sir, are what is wrong with this game. People like you are making PGI just be chassis vendors instead of mechwarrior game makers.

That many mechs was easy. The economy used to be awesome up until 2015. I've been here since before June 2012.
After 2015 it went to crap and new mechs have been harder and harder to come by It got good again, but I also don't play as much as I used to. I still get them on occasion through cbills.
When I want to make cbills, I load up one of my IS heroes, activate the years of premium time that I have NEVER paid a penny for, and just play.

It's amazing what you can get if you just 'tolerate' the events.
It did help that I once accidentally activated 528 days of premium time on accident trying to activate 30 days with the then new 30 day activation, and eventually they credited me 480 days (after cutting my activated days in half).

Don't play Clan if you want to make money, Clans have been a ******* joke for a long time. There's a few good variants and the rest are ****, and that's before the various nerfs to them and factoring in all the sleeper buffs given to them over the last few years.

View PostMedicine Man, on 19 May 2017 - 06:30 AM, said:

You haven't address their immunity to short range torso weapons at all. Getting those leg hits are what I'm going for but it seems like their legs can take quite a bit of punishment as well. I don't really have any problems with IS light mechs because none of their pilots hang to brawl. They just shoot you a few times and then run until their side has a strong numerical advantage. Clan light mechs pilots don't have to play like that because their mechs are cheater. Artic Cheater pilots are fight like and act like they are in much larger mechs and that gives them a huge advantage. Especially because they are right to play that way. Their mechs are very difficult to hit and because of their cheater XL they are tough to kill too. You act like when I'm shooting at his leg he's doing nothing with his high damage low heat cheater clan weapons. What he's doing is shoving himself up against me and making my torso weapons useless!! They just fire over his head and won't track on a small upclose target worth jack because the mech won't bend at the waist enough.

By the way I take it they never brought ramming damage back?

Sorry had some connection issue; resolved.

They don't have immunity to short range weapons.
There's now a skill tree filled with "Armor buffs." Chances are some of these little brats are running around with full armor buffs through the skill tree. This usually means they have to sacrifice a huge chunk of potential elsewhere.

There is some minor ramming damage (which funny enough does most of its damage to legs; consider this if you ever get a chance to accidentally bump into a Clan light as an IS assault...,) but there's no knockdowns still.

#23 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:40 AM

I missed something, I see it now.

Do you have Armlock on?
If so, TURN THAT **** OFF,. It's your problem.
Instead, use "Shift" to 'hold' it on when needed to focus your weapons, and let go when you need to deal with pests that are too close or too far to the sides.

Case in point, please watch this video. Notice the use of two crosshairs, the + and the o. Watch especially after 3 and a half minutes in.

You will never have that problem where you can't hit them again. See when the light tries to rush by me near the end? Dies to my two medium lasers long after he leaves my screen because I'm tracking him with the arms.

Lots of Clan lights meet their fate against this twin SRM-2 rig when trying to encircle me; fast little pests.

Edited by Koniving, 19 May 2017 - 06:44 AM.

#24 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,652 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:02 AM

This is pretty damn frustrating. I should probably just go back on​ hiatus huh? Just look at how many clanner lights were brought to tukkayid. It sicknening that one faction is given so many advantages shile the other side is forced to drive obsolete crap.

This is my main complaint about the stats that have been posted so far is that it is a combination of Invasion AND Scouting with not sub-category separation.

So first, Scouting had 55-ton limit for IS, 50-ton limit for Clan. And units on both side played lots of Scouting due to the Point Ranking.

Second, for Invasion IS had a 265-ton limit and Clan had a 240-ton limit so lights would have been in almost every drop deck.

As for the engines, per their notes the new guy said he wanted to do stuff with the engines but nothing to talk about until after the new tech is released.

Prior to the patch from Russ and team, where they lost sight that Clan Battlemechs are mechlabbed just like the IS Battlemechs except none of them will die due to the loss of the first ST while using cXL.

There's been much discussion about the option of IS XL Engines being provided the same benefits as Clan XL Engines, but in light of the other benefits provided by larger Engine sizes and the massive offensive boost XL Engines can facilitate, such a change is not currently conducive to appropriate (inserted - is)XL versus Standard Engine balance.

May 2017 Patch notes

The final balance point we can briefly highlight now involves Engine types. Better balance across the Standard, XL, and Clan XL Engine types is a major change that we are evaluating for a future patch. We are still in the very early stages of this evaluation, with gameplay and technical considerations to be made; the impact of a change to Engine type dynamics has the potential to be a significant and positive change, but it is also a delicate one. At this time, there is no solid ETA on the planned release for this change.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 19 May 2017 - 07:05 AM.

#25 Medicine Man

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 433 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:35 AM

I really hoped that arm lock thing would magically solve the issue. But nope. Armlock is an option that I have never turned on and it is currently off.

What I am talking about is how when a light mech is shoving up against you torso weapons cannot be inclined low enough to hit the little *******. They just fire right over it's head. The only weapons that can hit the light up against you are arm weapons. So basically any heavy/assault mech with gimp arms is just a sitting duck for the artic cheater. There used to be ramming damage applied in situations like that which is battletech cannon just like cheater clan XL engines. But they take out the mechanic that would balance light mechs but leave in the junk that makes the game ruinous?

Also I really gotta point out that two years has gone by and this issue still hasn't been resolved.

I can see from Tarl that they are saying they will look at it after adding some new tech (no doubt to sell some more chassis the greedy @#(*!(@#!) but I'm not gonna hold my breath. I never should have downloaded and reinstalled this game. PGI's EA level of ineptness is just to much.

My life sucks. I need entertainment. I'm not having fun here. I'm uninstalling again. PIss on this.

#26 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:43 AM

View PostMedicine Man, on 19 May 2017 - 07:35 AM, said:

I really hoped that arm lock thing would magically solve the issue. But nope. Armlock is an option that I have never turned on and it is currently off.

What I am talking about is how when a light mech is shoving up against you torso weapons cannot be inclined low enough to hit the little *******. They just fire right over it's head. The only weapons that can hit the light up against you are arm weapons. So basically any heavy/assault mech with gimp arms is just a sitting duck for the artic cheater. There used to be ramming damage applied in situations like that which is battletech cannon just like cheater clan XL engines. But they take out the mechanic that would balance light mechs but leave in the junk that makes the game ruinous?

Also I really gotta point out that two years has gone by and this issue still hasn't been resolved.

I can see from Tarl that they are saying they will look at it after adding some new tech (no doubt to sell some more chassis the greedy @#(*!(@#!) but I'm not gonna hold my breath. I never should have downloaded and reinstalled this game. PGI's EA level of ineptness is just to much.

My life sucks. I need entertainment. I'm not having fun here. I'm uninstalling again. PIss on this.

That issue has existed since day one, and was one of the greatest thrills there was to being a Commando, getting up close and under an assault's weapons.

Of course, they learned to aim down with their arms.

Naturally it won't fix your torso weapons. But why do you lack arm weapons? I think you dug your own issue there.

#27 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:33 AM

View PostKoniving, on 19 May 2017 - 07:43 AM, said:

Naturally it won't fix your torso weapons. But why do you lack arm weapons? I think you dug your own issue there.

He made a choice to "gimp" his arms for more tonnage it appears. And because he did so, it's the game's fault he chose to not take arm weapons. Thus, because he chose not to use an aspect of his mech, he shouldn't seem to take any penalties for doing so.

I have been reading his responses, and it seriously looks like he doesn't know what he's really talking about, has unreasonable expectations and demands "TT" balancing mechanics (which has already been mentioned can't really work in a PvP styled game such as this).

But it's okay. He just broke rules (again) by mentioning he's uninstalling the game and quitting. It's his right to not play if he doesn't want to, but isn't there a rule to not post about leaving the game?

#28 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:50 AM

Meh. Surprised that's a rule at all really.

Gimping one's arms and foregoing weapons in them is pretty dumb, and then expecting to unlock the arms to fix it is pretty unreasonable without anything in the arms. (Especially when videos show the use of arms, arm weapons, and shooting things with arms).

Side note: TT balancing mechanics could work to a point... if the game more closely matched the source material, but with PGI taking weapon damage classes as per shot rather than per unit of time, such is impossible without completely overhauling the game from the ground up. But yeah, uneven teams and the like won't work with the way PGI made this game and the way PGI makes money, such could never be possible.

MWO would have had to be built completely around faction play first with anything else being entirely secondary. Then again even tabletop has poor balancing if you ignore all the stuff meant for TT's equivalent of faction play. Everything relies on campaigns and campaign rules with time as a factor; MWO doesn't have time as a factor, and the primary focus is quickplay skirmishes. As such, as you said Tsunie, tabletop's balancing mechanics could never work under these conditions.

#29 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:58 AM

just a minor point here, if Light Mechs were as OP as Medicine Man seems to think why are they 95% of the time the lowest population of all the weight classes, even if just the ACH was that OP all the play to win crowd would be taking nothing but ACHs, but they do not, the people obsessed with winning above all else almost always take heavies, Mad IICs or Kodiaks, what does this mean do you think?

Medicine Man, if you are still monotoring this thread and you have not uninstalled yet I strongly recomend taking a Mech with lower arm actuators and putting 4 Small Pulse Lasers in the arms, just for anti light defense, try it for 10 games and see if your anti light work has improved.

Light Mechs are most certainly not worthless but they also are not over powered, yes a compatent light pilot will kill an incompatent assualt pilot every time but a competant assualt pilot can easily scare off a competant light pilot.

ACH may be the best all round Light Mech but it is not the most durable (outclassed by Spider, Wolfhound), it does not have the best firepower (outclassed by Firestarter, Kit Fox, Adder, Wolfhound, Jenner, Jenner IIC), it is not the fastest or most agile (outclassed by Jenner IIC, Jenner, Firestarter, Wolfhound, Spider, Comando and Locust), it is not the smallest or hardest to hit (outclassed by Locust, Commando, Myst Lynx, and while Spider is bigger it is still harder to hit if piloted competantly) the ACH just has a good balence of features.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 19 May 2017 - 10:01 AM.

#30 Ade the Rare

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 186 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:15 PM

ACH are all SPL builds.

Flamers. Best way to get an ACH pilot to need a change of underwear.

#31 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,652 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:39 PM

With lights, the lack of higher collision damage with the lighter mech being on the receiving end would stop most of the child dancing w/adult. PGI could even do it so that teammates would incur lesser damage or keep as is but enemy to enemy contact both would incur similar damage with the speed of both mechs being part of the modifier. See how long a light(er) mech keeps trying to plant its cockpit into an Atlas/Diashi, etc legs.

#32 dragonkid11

• Pip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:13 PM

I was primary an IS mech pilot and only bought a clanmech today because of the discount.

I actually felt that Clan mech has been nerfed way too damn much.

Although omnimech has flexbility in term of hardpoint and maybe some minor quirk, they are still limited in what they can pack if the locked component gave it extra weight like jumpjet or external heat sinks.

Speaking of which, the stat for clan double heat sink lied, it felt more like I was mounting single heat sink with a complete debuff due to them being bigger.

The main problem is of course, the standard clan mech. Which can easily pick all the weight reducing option of clantech AND change their engine weight for something less insane AND can easily move all their components around.

In fact, it got me so annoyed that i was tempted to buy Hunchback IIC over Nova later when I have the C-bill because I can modify the Hunchie IIC to me own need while the Nova has less pod flexible pod space than a freaking light mech.

Edited by dragonkid11, 19 May 2017 - 09:14 PM.

#33 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:05 AM

View PostMedicine Man, on 19 May 2017 - 06:30 AM, said:

You haven't address their immunity to short range torso weapons at all.

Sorry I should have said this in an earlier post, my brain must not have been working properly yesterday afternoon.

It is hard to hit a Light Mech with torso mounted weapons, that is what arm mounted weapons, especialy arm mounted small pulse lasers, are for.

If you want to counter Light Mechs look at faster medium Mechs, something like a Stromcrow, Crab, Cicada, Viper, Griffin, Enforcer or Huntsman armed with SPLs, SSRMs, SRMs and/or LBX ACs, those Mechs can all make good light hunters, that is Mechs specificaly designed to kill Lights, many heavys can do a good job in that role and most assualts can at least pack enough anti light weaponry to scare them off

The most effective counter to short range Light Mechs is the deathball formation where you have 6+ Mechs close together, you say your main problem is Lights getting up close and you being unable to hit them with torso weapons (take arm weapons and the problem would be solved), which means they stop too close to your Mech for you to bring your torso weapons to bear, few Light pilots are stupid enough to stop moving in the middle of an enemy deathball as if they are standing still one of the other Mechs would likely be able to cripple or kill them with 1 hit. All you do if one is stopped in front of you in that situation is say in VOIP "help with Cheetah Alpha, Charley 4" (assuming you are up against an ACH with the designation A in grid C4) and your teammates in or near C4 will look for an ACH with the designation A and kill it for you.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 20 May 2017 - 12:08 AM.

#34 Mechwarrior4670152

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:52 PM

View PostKoniving, on 19 May 2017 - 09:50 AM, said:

...PGI taking weapon damage classes as per shot rather than per unit of time...

A couple of notes on this, because I rarely disagree with you Koniving...

It is not just PGI for this one. EVERY mechwarrior game has done this.

And part of why is weapons like the AC2.

If we follow the source material, the only real difference between an AC2 and AC20 is the range, DPS, and weight.

If we follow your logic there, why EVER take an AC2?

It is lighter, yes, but 1/2 the weight for 1/10 the DPS.

The only use the weapon has in the TT game is it's range.

We do not have the targetting issues they have in TT.
We never will - and you cannot honestly blame PGI for that.
You set the weapons to their TT DPS ratios and balance will be no better.
It may even be worse

Edited by Wence the Wanderer, 20 May 2017 - 07:53 PM.

#35 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 05:52 AM

View PostWence the Wanderer, on 20 May 2017 - 07:52 PM, said:

A couple of notes on this, because I rarely disagree with you Koniving...

It is not just PGI for this one. EVERY mechwarrior game has done this.

And part of why is weapons like the AC2.

If we follow the source material, the only real difference between an AC2 and AC20 is the range, DPS, and weight.

If we follow your logic there, why EVER take an AC2?

It is lighter, yes, but 1/2 the weight for 1/10 the DPS.

The only use the weapon has in the TT game is it's range.

We do not have the targetting issues they have in TT.
We never will - and you cannot honestly blame PGI for that.
You set the weapons to their TT DPS ratios and balance will be no better.
It may even be worse

It goes quite a bit deeper than that if you're seriously interested in hearing it out.
Spoiler

Anyway, if you dig deep enough and put it into real time... it's amazing what can be done.

If you're interested in having this discussion in serious ernest, visit the link in my signature. This isn't really the place to have it.

#36 Mechwarrior4670152

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:44 AM

View PostKoniving, on 21 May 2017 - 05:52 AM, said:

It goes quite a bit deper than that if you're seriously interested in heearing it out

No.
No it does not.

Ultimately the player base will take what they perceive as the highest value - and then whine about the meta.
Just like now.

The only time in ANY of the Mechwarrior games that weapons like the AC2 have come anywhere NEAR meta-gaming popularity is when they have out-DPS'd the other guns.

People only care about the range advantage when it functions like a sniper rifle - in ANY game.

Giving the AC2 lower DPS will kill it.

Some crazies like me and you would still use it, but it would be more dead than MWLL.

View PostKoniving, on 21 May 2017 - 05:52 AM, said:

If you're interested in having this discussion in serious ernest, visit the link in my signature. This isn't really the place to have it.

I have been following your arguments quite religiously.
They have yet to change my arguments against it.

Or rather - I have yet to see you bring up a way to change those arguments that the playerbase has not already proven to be very abuseable.

And I say that as someone who dreams of the day that having a Martell Medium Laser actually means something.

Lets face it - asymmetrical balance is a nightmare at the best of time - and companies with far more funding and far better talents than PGI have given up on it. (IE - Blizzard's WoW) or are giving up on it (Valve's TF2, which almost every update removes or shrinks the differences between classes)

It may very well be possible - I am not one to get into very intense discussions on it - but it is not going to happen.
And you cannot blame PGI for that. When "better" companies have failed.

Edited by Wence the Wanderer, 22 May 2017 - 07:45 AM.

#37 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:53 AM

View PostWence the Wanderer, on 22 May 2017 - 07:44 AM, said:

No.
No it does not.

Ultimately the player base will take what they perceive as the highest value - and then whine about the meta.
Just like now.

If this was true, we'd never see Gauss Rifles or PPCs used. Nobody would ever use anything other than 4 LPL (as ghost heat is a joke) for the IS, twin Ac/20s, and we'd never see SRMs, LRMs, or any kind of missiles in gameplay. Those whom couldn't carry those would be using 6 ML or 6 ER ML.

We'd never see IS mechs being used.

The list goes on.

#38 Mechwarrior4670152

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:56 AM

View PostKoniving, on 22 May 2017 - 07:53 AM, said:

If this was true...

I know you tend to ignore the meta-gamers, but seriously dude?

Edit:
And I like how the one part of my counter was the least rellevent.

Edited Edit:
And for what it is worth?
I was TKd repeatedly over the Tukayid event for doing just that.
Running anything but the meta.

So you can kiss my *** with that comment.

Edited by Wence the Wanderer, 22 May 2017 - 07:58 AM.

#39 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:59 AM

Also: It wouldn't be just giving the AC/2 lower DPS.
It'd be a complete overhaul of the game at large.
After the changes I implied, particularly those in the hypothetical thread, and under your assumption... you'd see two flocks. Those who went for the most front loaded version of any weapon variant, such as the AC/2 that shoots 2 shots per rating and can net 2 ratings within 5 to 10 seconds against 1x armor/structure., and those whom flock to the AC/2 that fires 10 shots or more per rating and can net 2+ ratings within 5 to 10 seconds (depending on which time slice we went with), because it'd be able to get superior damage as a reward for their skill. Considering your typical light mech has 16 armor on a leg and 8 structure, it isn't terribly bad when combined with other weapons as they are supposed to be.

View PostWence the Wanderer, on 22 May 2017 - 07:56 AM, said:

I know you tend to ignore the meta-gamers, but seriously dude?

Edit:
And I like how the one part of my counter was the least rellevent.

Edited Edit:
And for what it is worth?
I was TKd repeatedly over the Tukayid event for doing just that.
Running anything but the meta.

So you can kiss my *** with that comment.

I wasn't finished, I tend to hit "post" often and my posts tend to link together.

My firefox crashes often when I'm converting videos.

#40 Mechwarrior4670152

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:59 AM

View PostKoniving, on 22 May 2017 - 07:58 AM, said:

It'd be a complete overhaul of the game at large.

And that is part of why they will not do it.

You are requesting that they take everything they have done...
And throw it in the garbage.

How many companies do that?
How many companies take that request seriously?

The more you talk, the less credibility your idea has.

No matter how badly they have done.
NO COMPANY WILL JUST DO THAT.
They may modify what they have, but they do not simply throw it all away.

Edited by Wence the Wanderer, 22 May 2017 - 08:00 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users