• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:03 PM

So...

It is done.

PGI finally broke me of my loretard, old-man nostalgia driven reasons for even bothering with a video game at my age; and has forced (FORCED I say!) me to become a no good cowardly traitor to my house and unit and go merc so I can finally give clan mechs their legit turn at play.

So. WTF do I do with these things. When I played TT their were no "omni mechs" I have no clue other that via metamechs and what you people tell me/suggest on how to build these damn things. So now that I have embraced (at least partially) the filthy darkness that is all things clan, I need you dirty bast.... I mean nice, caring, ever so helpful folks, to tell me what to do with these things.

Here's what I bought (cuz they are on sale):

ACH-Prime
NVA-Prime
HBK-IIC
EBJ-A
HBR-Prime

and just because I like the way they look and because they look to be as close to the mobility of my beloved Quickdraws (sans JJ) I bought a Linebacker Prime as well.

Any suggestions for builds are welcome. I'd particularly appreciate help with the Hellbringer and the Ebon (default as a laser brawler?).

I was planning on 2 AC10s on the Hunch...excuse me, I mean Ultra AC10s.
Nova: I think I can buy pods (right?) to make it into a 12SPL build for scouting?
The Linebacker I was thinking the 2ERPPC build but I loath no having something in the arms so maybe the 6ML build?

If there is something else you think I ought to buy lemme know.

Also, is there any mech better than the Scorch for 2LBX20s? If not I will likely buy one of them as well. Lemme know please.

#2 cazidin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:08 PM

Dangit, Bud. I already made TWO comprehensive guides for you! I'm starting to think I might be spoiling you here buddy. I can't give you a guide right now but give me a few hours and I'll help you out if nobody else does, or even if they do I'll give me input.

Will you be on in about... 4-5 hours?

#3 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,913 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:15 PM

View Postcazidin, on 20 May 2017 - 12:08 PM, said:

Dangit, Bud. I already made TWO comprehensive guides for you! I'm starting to think I might be spoiling you here buddy. I can't give you a guide right now but give me a few hours and I'll help you out if nobody else does, or even if they do I'll give me input.

Will you be on in about... 4-5 hours?

Yeah well. I'm pushy. Now cough up some builds.

Edit: as to your question...alas no. This week has been busy as hell and tonight is no different. Someday I hope to get to play and experience all these changes...both of what PGI has wrought and those that I am doing to my self.

(FYI this is more of the same. The other thread is for node paths, now I am looking for folks to post builds and mech suggestions, but I blew my budget on the other thread...thus the more personalize take. I think with the current crop of changes there are going to be A LOT of folks going Clan with no understanding of how clan mechs, particularly omnis even function.)

Edited by Bud Crue, 20 May 2017 - 12:20 PM.

#4 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:18 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 20 May 2017 - 12:03 PM, said:

So...

It is done.

PGI finally broke me of my loretard, old-man nostalgia driven reasons for even bothering with a video game at my age; and has forced (FORCED I say!) me to become a no good cowardly traitor to my house and unit and go merc so I can finally give clan mechs their legit turn at play.

So. WTF do I do with these things. When I played TT their were no "omni mechs" I have no clue other that via metamechs and what you people tell me/suggest on how to build these damn things. So now that I have embraced (at least partially) the filthy darkness that is all things clan, I need you dirty bast.... I mean nice, caring, ever so helpful folks, to tell me what to do with these things.

ACH-Prime
NVA-Prime
HBK-IIC
EBJ-A
HBR-Prime

and just because I like the way they look and because they look to be as close to the mobility of my beloved Quickdraws (sans JJ) I bought a Linebacker Prime as well.

Any suggestions for builds are welcome. I'd particularly appreciate help with the Hellbringer and the Ebon (default as a laser brawler?).

Nova: I think I can buy pods (right?) to make it into a 12SPL build for scouting?
The Linebacker I was thinking the 2ERPPC build but I loath no having something in the arms so maybe the 6ML build?

Also, is there any mech better than the Scorch for 2LBX20s? If not I will likely buy one of them as well. Lemme know please.

Don't feel bad.

I have been stealing my clan mechs just to stick it to the clanners.

#5 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:28 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 20 May 2017 - 12:15 PM, said:

Yeah well. I'm pushy. Now cough up some builds.

Edit: as to your question...alas no. This week has been busy as hell and tonight is no different. Someday I hope to get to play and experience all these changes...both of what PGI has wrought and those that I am doing to my self.

(FYI this is more of the same. The other thread is for node paths, now I am looking for folks to post builds and mech suggestions, but I blew my budget on the other thread...thus the more personalize take. I think with the current crop of changes there are going to be A LOT of folks going Clan with no understanding of how clan mechs, particularly omnis even function.)

Np. I'll help you with this later, and maybe pick out which pack I want. Posted Image

When you get a chance to play, let me know? We can drop together and defeat the freeborn!

Edited by cazidin, 20 May 2017 - 12:29 PM.

#6 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,994 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:39 PM

well at least you only need one of each

#7 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:41 PM

TRAITOR!
Posted Image

#8 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:42 PM

So...

It is done.

ACH-Prime
NVA-Prime
HBK-IIC
EBJ-A
HBR-Prime

Hunchback IIC can do dual LBX20 (or dual gauss) if you want. It works sorta nice in scouting but the Nova out DPSes it still but the Nova can be disarmed easier. For the Nova Prime you don't even have to buy omnipods since it comes stock with 12 energy hardpoints, just take the ERML out and replace with SPL, then rearrange armor to your liking. For the Linebacker 2 ERPPC for if you want range and then 6 ERML if you want to be close up, the ERML build also puts out more total damage, so it can hold off against pushes better.

#9 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:49 PM

NVA-Prime

Posted Image

If you don't run that thing with its lore loadout, you're missing out on some of the most fun possible in this game. Learning when to fire and when not to fire due to the massive heat spikes is just intense, but seriously rewarding.

#10 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:52 PM

All I can say is... enjoy easy mode.

Warning: You still have to work to put up numbers and stats, but really, your job is that much easier by going Clans and nothing is automatic.

#11 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:03 PM

So...

It is done.

ACH-Prime
NVA-Prime
HBK-IIC
EBJ-A
HBR-Prime

Go to metamechs and just pick all of their fun builds.

#12 Orville Righteous

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 127 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:14 PM

ACH - 5 SPLs or 4 ER MLs or 6 ER SLs. I like the 5 SPL build the best.

Nova - Load up on ER SLs and SPLs. I have one that has 5 MLs on the right arm and 4 ER SLs on the left. It's weird but it works. The Nova was kind of hard for me to get used to. It's a corner peaker/pop tarter. I'm still not great with it.

HBK-IIC setup like the champion?

Ebon Jag- there are so many good builds for the Jags. I've been using 2 UAC 10s and 3 ER MLs. 2 LPL and a bunch of SLs. 2 ER PPCs and 6 MLs (it runs hot!). You can also do 3 UAC5s and some MLs. Gauss + 2 LPLs and 1 SL to push up the LPLs. I know you've grouped with Slav, he uses an LBL20X and 2 LPLs with an SL to push the LPLs high. It doesn't work for me, but he does fantastic in them. Jags are kind of fragile so the structure tree can help. I don't take structure on all of them though (the 2 ER PPC + 6 ER ML I tried to keep it cool and mobile).

Hellbringer 2 UAC5 and 4 ML (1 ML in the head, 3 in the the LT, UACs in the RT). Very little arm armor. You can also do 6 ER MLs all on the right side. You can also do Gauss on the right side and 4 ER MLs. BlackhawkSC has a video on HBR builds.

Linebacker I've been using 1 Gauss and 3 ER MLs (I think). I haven't tried the SRM 4 and SL build or 2 ER PPC but I will eventually.

My best advice, pay attention to the mechs you face and if you see one that impresses you, take a screenshot and try to build it. The engines are locked so you just have to figure out if they went heat sinks, TCs or what. The skill tree helped some of these mechs, like the Nova, they only had 1 module slot before. Ask people you group with how they setup theirs.

I try to pilot IS and Clan fairly evenly, but I have to admit you can get a new appreciation for some of the things people do in Clan mechs when you pilot one (the Night Gyr is one example; I don't do great in them).

Have fun Bud!

#13 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,062 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:18 PM

Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.

Posted Image

#14 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,913 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:35 PM

View PostLupis Volk, on 20 May 2017 - 01:03 PM, said:

Go to metamechs and just pick all of their fun builds.

I looked, and...well...hmm...this could be my IS bias and clan ignorance at work, but the meta builds are boring if not inappropriate to someone whose never played a clan mech before.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that they are likely superior in every way, shape and form to anything I will come up with...I mean I know I am a terribad and I realize that building mechs for aesthetics and sound quality has a lot to do with that, but still 2LPL and 3 ERML on the Hellbringer just seemed kinda boring. Ya know? Same thing with an Ebon running a Gauss and 2LPLs. I don't know, its probably like my IS builds: I have to try 12 different versions of crap, that I come up with, before I accept that the meta build is the meta build for a reason and go with it.

So yeah I'll try those builds but I am WAY more interested in odd stuff (especially Dakka for the HBR and EBJ) though odd isn't a prerequisite...more like builds that are niche and potentially effective than necessarily meta (at least for now) and that are maybe a bit more friendly to a new player (after all I've only tried trial clan mechs twice). I'll get to the "meta builds" later.

#15 Chados

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:47 PM

Funnily enough, my top IS chassis is the Catapult...but on Clan side the only one I really like is the Summoner. Not sure how that happened but there it is. I actually own all four Summoner special variants. Cue up Patsy Cline singing "Crazy."

#16 chucklesMuch

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,424 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:57 PM

Cheetah - This was easier, for me,before skill tree... for example I'm currently experimenting with ach-c and ach-prime as to whether I want to use radar derp or ecm. (Though to max ecm you end up with 40%derp, not having ecm means you still have 3 spl when you lose both arms)

Both are armed with 6xspl. 1 has ecm the other doesn't (I think radar derp one has semic too, sorry not at my pc).
(I used to reduce armour to fit another dhs/tc1 etc but I'm currently running max/near max armour). I'm sure better light pilots can offer better advice.

Lots of range/heat reduction/(cooldowns, as they are in the path to heat reductions). Most of mobility tree

Not sure about novas post ST ( haven't tried them yet), 10-12 erspl was mint, so was 10 spl and 6xspl 4mg or 4xmpl and 4mg's was fun)...not sure if these are still viable.

Hellbringer; (2xlpl 3/4xerml) is the only one I've used and enjoyed post ST (haven't experimented much though). (Grab the cbill right omni pod of non hero when it is released or the loyal R-ST when you can so you aren't quite so left side dependant). - also with energy RST you can strip both arms. (Gauss/4xerml or 4xmpl). My favorite was 5xmpl 4xmgs (needed loyal pods and untested post ST)

Linebacker; also try 7xspl 3xsrm4... very fun or 5xmpl,

Edited by chucklesMuch, 20 May 2017 - 01:58 PM.

#17 Alexander of Macedon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:02 PM

TBH there's no reason to not grab full derp if you're going deep enough to get the ECM nodes. Especially on a fast, vertically mobile light.

#18 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:33 PM

Welcome to the Clams side Bud >:-D

I'll cough up some builds right now for you:

Arctic Cheetah - This is your meta build. SPLs, and ECM. You are a sneaky little mech. You stab them in the back. You come in quick and leave just as fast as you arrived, the Harasser build. You can put on a Coolshot and UAV alongside some Radar Deprivation and you can consider yourself well off - coolshot for when you want to brawl or put out other mechs out of their miseries but don't have the heat to manage, the UAV to see what you'll be getting yourself into or decide if you want to harass, and the Radar Deprivation to get away from Missiles.

Nova - a downgraded lore build you could say. I know you wanted something kind of lore-like, and this is as close as we're getting to it without being full on meta. 35 Damage per arm. 5 Mediums in each arm to skip the ghost heat. Recommend adding in all the coolshots you can to make sure you don't overheat in case you make the accident of firing all 10 at once. Now, if you're not liking it and want meta, Recommend slapping on 2 ERPPCs, poptart meta. one on in the arm and one in the ST. Sync the side they're on so that you can deadside when caught under fire. If you don't like that either, check out TheB33f's video of a Nova build he has.

HBK-IIC - You can check out the champion if you want to make a UAC-10 build, but UACs have been nerfed via jam chances so beware. If you're looking into poptart meta, this is for you. You may be wondering why I put the JJets in the Torso instead of the Legs. Simple, really, DHS in the legs provides better cooling when you take a dip into water. Chances of you meeting water usually is above average, so this is done in order to make sure you don't overheat on the chance that you do when mastering the mech.

Ebon Jaguar - This is hands down the best meta for this mech as far as peaking meta goes for it. make sure the small laser goes first when putting it in, as you want the two large pulses to match your high mounted gauss. Strip the arms for more ammo or another DHS, as it can get pretty hot. Recommend bringing one coolshot at least when in battle.

Hellbringer - I was going to recommend another build, but after thinking and guessing that you didn't get the loyalty hellbringer, I made this. It's a bit old as far as the build goes, but probably the easiest to use. Gauss Rifle for range, mediums for secondary. Left click, release, right click. Coolshot and a UAV/Artillery is recommended.

Note: I didn't change the armor values much on the occasion that you already know how to armor mechs, so here they are. I really recommend you getting the Hellbringer - F omnipod for the ST in order to laser vomit properly, cause with only 4 E in the Head and Torsos, it worn work well. Hope this helps you, traitor Posted Image

Edited by Scout Derek, 20 May 2017 - 04:42 PM.

#19 BumbleBee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 527 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 03:24 PM

My advice would be to run configs based on what you are familiar with as an IS pilot. The same general principles apply, but just may need tweaking because of the different tech base.

Clan weapons run a lot hotter than their IS counterparts, so you will need more heatsinks than you are used to and/or get used to firing less often. Clan weapons also have much higher burn/burst time, so you will need to "stare" for a longer time too if you want to get that extra damage where it needs to go.

#20 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 20 May 2017 - 04:34 PM

The Novas are still good
I didn't go far into Agility, and ignored Armor entirely
He's ALL firepower, and goes toe to toe against the fully Survival spec'ed 4SP
Posted Image
Those are some tough legs!

Which was strange...I thought he had more than just a 25% DPS advantage (we consistently went ~250 VS ~200 damage)

I personally sought to max out heat quirks, for 4.8 heat ERMLs
I haven't yet, but I may just try running that one stock
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users