#21 James The Fox Dixon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,572 posts
  • LocationEpsilon Indi

Posted 26 May 2017 - 12:31 AM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 26 May 2017 - 12:20 AM, said:

I noticed that arms seem to be overly sensitve, but I couldn't say if it was due to the patch or it was always that way. I've only re-started playing the game a few weeks ago.

Maybe something to look into it for PGI.

I thought the Steering Wheel was the non-plus ultra of mech gaming?

Heyas bud, long time no see. :)

Hey now some of us like me use guinea pigs to move our cursor around. ;)

#22 ScrubLord1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 101 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:06 AM

Okay it seems most people are unaware that the arm speed values were changed, the quirks pdf in the patch notes lists all the new arm speed values (yet doesn't show the old values). If you go back and compare to the countdown releases of Warhammer and Roughneck which listed the mech stats, both had arm spd of 180 deg/s, its now jacked up to 203 and 214 deg/s respectively.

Here's the problem it creates; high fixed DPI mouses that had no problems under the old agility system are now stuck with an oversensitive arm aim reticule, because the new arm speed values are overtuned and the lowest possible in-game sensitivity is insufficient to compensate for the value change.

The next question it brings is, did the arm speed values need change? No. Zero reason for it. The old values were responsive enough, and introducing this just created a lot of problems for an unfortunate batch of people who do not have low/customizable DPI mouses.

Should they just get a new mouse then? Sure I suppose we can waste money on a new mouse. Still, this isn't an issue of not meeting the minimum system requirements like RAM or graphics cards where getting new hardware is understandable. Its a result of using badly adjusted values in-game.

Edited by ScrubLord1, 26 May 2017 - 01:36 AM.

#23 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 26 May 2017 - 08:24 AM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 26 May 2017 - 12:20 AM, said:

I thought the Steering Wheel was the non-plus ultra of mech gaming?

I cannot really say, yet, because I still need to setup my new Thrustmaster Ferrari 458 Italia. But I'll get to it eventually. Posted Image

#24 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 May 2017 - 10:01 AM

View PostScrubLord1, on 25 May 2017 - 08:38 PM, said:

I use a PowerLogic X-Craft 2000. Its an entry-level gaming mouse but its features have been sufficient for personal gaming needs. DPI switch only allows up-switching to 3200 DPI. It doesnt have software to customize DPI settings.

I'm not exactly sure how your mouse works, one site tells me it has a DPI range of 2000 to 3200, another tells me it has four modes between 800 and 3200. You have a button that toggles between these.

If your mouse can toggle down to 800 DPI, do it. You don't need high DPI for MWO (it doesn't matter much for any game, really), there are MWO comp players at 400 DPI. With a lower DPI, you have the freedom to set a higher in-game sensitivity, so you have more fine control over your actual effective sensitivity.

If your old setting was 2000 DPI with a 0.13 in-game, then your new setting with 800 DPI would be 0.32 in-game to achieve the same 260 eDPI.

If your mouse is stuck at 2000 DPI and can't go any lower, create a user.cfg file. Place it in your Piranha Games\Mechwarrior Online directory. In that file, put this line of text,

cl_sensitivity = 0.05

The lowest the in-game sensitivity slider can go is 0.10. So this command will set it lower, 0.05. You'll need to restart your game for it to take effect. You may need to play around changing the number a few times (and restarting the game every time) before you find a value that works for you. Also remember that the differences in sensitivity are larger that lower you go. So the same 0.01 difference between a value of 0.09 and 0.10 will have a much more noticeable effect than the difference between 0.89 and 0.90, which is negligible. If you're curious why this is... I'm not sure. But you can see the curve graphed out on that spreadsheet I linked earlier. Where you sit on the eDPI curve determines your cm/180 (actual sensitivity/mouse travel)

The main point here is, with the old arms sensitivity values I never had a problem playing MWO, and those values already made arms movement responsive enough. Now the new patch overtuned the movement values, and I have to consider getting a new mouse, desktop table, smaller keyboard and bigger mousepad, to adjust to that..?

This adds up to over a $300 financial commitment for me. If it were a hardware specs issue like ram shortage or outdated graphics, I would understand, but to spend $300 because some in-game values were overtuned.. I hope I'm not the only one thinking this is rather absurd when they can simply just bring back the arms sensitivity to pre-patch levels.

If you're just looking to relocate the old sensitivity feeling that you had before, then you shouldn't notice a difference between old and new. Should be the same mouse travel and you shouldn't need any more physical space for your mouse. Though, I can't help but think that if you're running out of space at all, that you could play the game with a lot more ease and comfort if you had more room. Also remember that defensive torso twisting (to spread incoming damage) is a lot easier with armlock OFF. So if you typically play with armlock ON, try toggling it off right as you're twisting away. It will allow you to swipe your mouse in one motion to enact the full twist, without having to travel the entire distance with your mouse.

#25 ScrubLord1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 101 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 07:17 PM

View PostTarogato, on 26 May 2017 - 10:01 AM, said:

I'm not exactly sure how your mouse works, one site tells me it has a DPI range of 2000 to 3200

Only 2 steps, 2000/3200, can't go any lower.

View PostTarogato, on 26 May 2017 - 10:01 AM, said:

cl_sensitivity = 0.05

TOTALLY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT THAT. I will give that a try. Does up to 3 decimal places work?

Edit: Tried inserting cl_sensitivity = 0.01 into my existing user.cfg, no change. Its in the correct directory location, but gonna fiddle around abit to get it to work

Edited by ScrubLord1, 26 May 2017 - 07:36 PM.

#26 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 May 2017 - 07:43 PM

View PostScrubLord1, on 26 May 2017 - 07:17 PM, said:

Edit: Tried inserting cl_sensitivity = 0.01 into my existing user.cfg, no change. Its in the correct directory location, but gonna fiddle around abit to get it to work

Hrmm, I was kinda afraid of that. I've heard of people using it before, but I hadn't actually verified it myself.

I guess that leaves us with... try to shoot an email to PGI support and let them know where you're at. They're usually pretty good about coming up with solutions to technical issues like these. Sorry I couldn't help you out. =P

#27 ScrubLord1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 101 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 08:12 PM

Yea user.cfg doesnt seem to be working anymore. I tried adjusting FOV as well without success. According to PGI's Matt reply here (https://mwomercs.com...just-wont-work/), in-game settings will override any user.cfg settings

View PostTarogato, on 26 May 2017 - 07:43 PM, said:

I guess that leaves us with... try to shoot an email to PGI support and let them know where you're at.

I shot them an email 2 days ago, they just came back with "your feedback will be sorted and compiled into a report before distributing to the relevant department". Gee, I guess I have to wait a month before the report is sent out and anyone is actually made aware of the issue

Edited by ScrubLord1, 26 May 2017 - 08:34 PM.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users