I Told You So And This Is Why Multiplayer Ruins Games!

85 replies to this topic

#1 Imperius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 25 May 2017 - 04:00 PM

Battletech Game

https://www.kickstar...h/posts/1895012

The whole team here is really excited to get the Backer Beta into your hands on June 1st. Unfortunately, in the last few weeks, we've been working through some significant multiplayer connectivity issues and as of yesterday, we don't believe multiplayer will be stable enough for release by June 1st. Therefore, the June 1st release will contain single-player Skirmish mode ONLY, and we will update the Beta with PvP multiplayer as soon as it's ready. No time estimate on that yet but we'll keep you posted.

Edit: Forgot subject matter for those who may not have pre-ordered. Sometimes I forget we aren't all the same in the know nerds!

Edited by Imperius, 25 May 2017 - 04:07 PM.

#2 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 25 May 2017 - 04:02 PM

View PostImperius, on 25 May 2017 - 04:00 PM, said:

The whole team here is really excited to get the Backer Beta into your hands on June 1st. Unfortunately, in the last few weeks, we've been working through some significant multiplayer connectivity issues and as of yesterday, we don't believe multiplayer will be stable enough for release by June 1st. Therefore, the June 1st release will contain single-player Skirmish mode ONLY, and we will update the Beta with PvP multiplayer as soon as it's ready. No time estimate on that yet but we'll keep you posted.

we are still getting access to Single Player on the 1st.

So, not really sure how anything is....ruined? A little hyperbolic much?

BTW for those wondering what he is talking about...latest Kickstarter Update for HBS's Battletech TBS game.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 25 May 2017 - 04:07 PM.

#3 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 04:05 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 25 May 2017 - 04:02 PM, said:

K.

And yet we are still getting access to Single Player on the 1st.

So, not really sure how anything is....ruined? A little hyperbolic much?

BTW for those wondering WTF he is talking about...latest Kickstarter Update for HBS's Battletech TBS game.

Ahhh yes I should have added the Battletech part... thanks Bishop but I was sad it made it's pvp goal.

#4 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 04:07 PM

View PostImperius, on 25 May 2017 - 04:05 PM, said:

Ahhh yes I should have added the Battletech part... thanks Bishop but I was sad it made it's pvp goal.

Understood. I was kind of hoping it wouldn't make it either, because like you, I have seen the PvP side become the dominant factor, overshadowing and essentially ruining hte PvE aspect of some games. I am still hopeful that won't be the case here.

We will see, though.

#5 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 25 May 2017 - 04:07 PM

There's nothing wrong with singleplayer games bruh, especially for an IP that has always been far more compatible with storytelling than competitive multiplayer balancing...

#6 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 04:10 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 25 May 2017 - 04:07 PM, said:

Understood. I was kind of hoping it wouldn't make it either, because like you, I have seen the PvP side become the dominant factor, overshadowing and essentially ruining hte PvE aspect of some games. I am still hopeful that won't be the case here.

We will see, though.

Yes, and because of this I missed out on the Jacket because I didn't want it to make that tier. Then it did and I should have just ordered the jacket pack but I was too late. Oh well tis life. I hope it's great because I really have been starved of lore and immersion for far too long.

View PostFupDup, on 25 May 2017 - 04:07 PM, said:

There's nothing wrong with singleplayer games bruh, especially for an IP that has always been far more compatible with storytelling than competitive multiplayer balancing...

Who are you talking to?

#7 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 04:12 PM

View PostImperius, on 25 May 2017 - 04:10 PM, said:

Who are you talking to?

You. The HBS game being focused on SP and even being SP-only for a short while is not a problem.

#8 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 04:22 PM

View PostFupDup, on 25 May 2017 - 04:12 PM, said:

You. The HBS game being focused on SP and even being SP-only for a short while is not a problem.

Really? I'm confused. That update has me questioning that it is focused on SP. That's all I wanted! That's why I'm confused who you're talking to. I never said anything was wrong with single player. My beef is with the multiplayer.

#9 cazidin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 04:23 PM

At least we'll actually get something from THIS developer, as promised, in under 60, maybe 90 days. Posted Image

#10 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 04:24 PM

View PostImperius, on 25 May 2017 - 04:22 PM, said:

Really? I'm confused. That update has me questioning that it is focused on SP. That's all I wanted! That's why I'm confused who you're talking to. I never said anything was wrong with single player. My beef is with the multiplayer.

I guess I misinterpreted the thread title as you saying the game was "ruined" because of the MP being delayed.

#11 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 04:36 PM

View Postcazidin, on 25 May 2017 - 04:23 PM, said:

At least we'll actually get something from THIS developer, as promised, in under 60, maybe 90 days. Posted Image

We got plenty from PGI in under 90 days. Closed Beta was actually looking real shiny. Since then? YMMV. But to intimate PGI delivered nothing? A tad disingenuous, really.

View PostFupDup, on 25 May 2017 - 04:24 PM, said:

I guess I misinterpreted the thread title as you saying the game was "ruined" because of the MP being delayed.

My read was the delay in MP was proof the game itself was ruined.... which is also possibly incorrect a read.... but... since the quote was given little to no context, it is hard to be certain.

#12 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 04:55 PM

How is a delay to get things worked out ruining the game? I watched the gameplay skirmish vid, it looks like it's going to be a good game. Now paradox is also behind them to help with Q&A/testing, that is pretty cool.

#13 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:07 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 25 May 2017 - 04:36 PM, said:

We got plenty from PGI in under 90 days. Closed Beta was actually looking real shiny. Since then? YMMV. But to intimate PGI delivered nothing? A tad disingenuous, really.

My read was the delay in MP was proof the game itself was ruined.... which is also possibly incorrect a read.... but... since the quote was given little to no context, it is hard to be certain.

The potential for the game is in question to me at the moment because they really are focusing on MP too much. What is being glazed over or excluded because of this? We will never know. I know MP adds so much complexity to a game it usually drains the single player development time and focus.

View PostJC Daxion, on 25 May 2017 - 04:55 PM, said:

How is a delay to get things worked out ruining the game? I watched the gameplay skirmish vid, it looks like it's going to be a good game. Now paradox is also behind them to help with Q&A/testing, that is pretty cool.

What is delaying the game?
Where has all the focus and delays come from?

Now ask yourself is the single player suffering because of this? Did you read the melee balance? Looks like what could have been more choices were removed for the sake of pvp balance. I see multi creeping in to the SP part of the game. I am not liking it.

Edited by Imperius, 25 May 2017 - 05:05 PM.

#14 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:14 PM

View PostImperius, on 25 May 2017 - 05:07 PM, said:

The potential for the game is in question to me at the moment because they really are focusing on MP too much. What is being glazed over or excluded because of this? We will never know. I know MP adds so much complexity to a game it usually drains the single player development time and focus.

Which is what I thought you were saying... but have not seen any evidence to that in the product shown. One could argue they would be further along with the basic game had it been PvE, but so far we have not seen any evidence of the final PvE end of the product being diminished because of it.

Hence why I think you to be jumping the gun a tad.

#15 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:20 PM

well after watching the skirmish video i must say the game looks pretty good with it. I'd rather wait and get that with SP, than just get SP early at this point.

I suppose you could say they should of JUST made SP and then added a MP expansion. But with that in mind, they would need to design for MP anyway, or it would be far to much extra/new work later.. So they really would of needed to work on MP aspects anyway if it would be added in future, and we just wouldn't see any of the extra work till they did.

If you don't want MP, well ok.. that is an opinion :)

Personally i could of cared less about MP back when they started the KS, but i wan't all that excited about the turn base asect, i was hoping more mech commander style. But after seeing the gameplay vid, i am happy about the route they are taking. Now if the story and AI can live up, we will see.

I'm not to worried, I just bought War for the Overworld last month. It has one more patch coming and then it's going to be called complete. (patch/expansions is scheduled for next winter). That game Kickstartered in 2012, and finally was the "spiritual successor" to dungeon keeper i was hoping for. So IMO this game is on a way faster pace. :)

#16 nitra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:21 PM

Hopefully they did not buy some crappy third party netcode layer, and are having trouble getting it to mesh with their game.

so many companies have been burned by bad netcode frameworks it is not funny .

im not sure what has changed in the past decade but it seems like netcode has become a real challenge lately .

#17 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:23 PM

It is fine. People can ease into the game first with SP Skirmish mode, while they bring up MP online.

#18 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:25 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 25 May 2017 - 05:14 PM, said:

Which is what I thought you were saying... but have not seen any evidence to that in the product shown. One could argue they would be further along with the basic game had it been PvE, but so far we have not seen any evidence of the final PvE end of the product being diminished because of it.

Hence why I think you to be jumping the gun a tad.

I hope I am jumping the gun. The first delay, I was like ok whatever. The second delay on a developer who prides itself on making deadlines... I'm like I've seen this trend before :(

#19 FireStoat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:29 PM

No regrets on becoming a backer - I've played the other products of the company and they were very fun. If they are able to give me a partially working single player campaign or random skirmish mode on the 1st with a working mechlab on June 1st, I'll just be pretty happy to fire the thing up on my machine.

MWO has been a very fun game and I still enjoy it. Being able to enjoy the Battletech game with more of its traditional table top feel will be very refreshing.

#20 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:34 PM

View PostFireStoat, on 25 May 2017 - 05:29 PM, said:

No regrets on becoming a backer - I've played the other products of the company and they were very fun. If they are able to give me a partially working single player campaign or random skirmish mode on the 1st with a working mechlab on June 1st, I'll just be pretty happy to fire the thing up on my machine.

MWO has been a very fun game and I still enjoy it. Being able to enjoy the Battletech game with more of its traditional table top feel will be very refreshing.

I don't have regrets yet, but I'm definitely worried. Also, I'm the king of clickbait titles Posted Image

Edited by Imperius, 25 May 2017 - 05:34 PM.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users