I Told You So And This Is Why Multiplayer Ruins Games!

85 replies to this topic

#41 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,875 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 26 May 2017 - 05:50 AM

There are a lot of us happy with MWO, dont sell it short. And yeah, June might be a slow month with Battletech dropping its first beta release, but it'll pick right back up in July with the new tech in MWO.

This is gonna be a great summer. =)

#42 HGAK47

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 971 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 05:50 AM

Single player top down turn based game? I can think of nothing more boring. I think I have enjoyed all of about 2 turn based games in my life.

How on earth can you play strategy games at turn based speed!? Ughhh makes me sick. Give me some good old Starcraft or C&C any day.

#43 Michael Knell

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 06:03 AM

View PostHGAK47, on 26 May 2017 - 05:50 AM, said:

Single player top down turn based game? I can think of nothing more boring. I think I have enjoyed all of about 2 turn based games in my life.

How on earth can you play strategy games at turn based speed!? Ughhh makes me sick. Give me some good old Starcraft or C&C any day.

Turn-based gameplay is not for causal, ADHD crowd. I was in that boat myself. Still adore Mechcommander and can't wait to try this new puppy.

#44 Imperius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 26 May 2017 - 06:04 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 25 May 2017 - 10:36 PM, said:

I hear you. Trust me, the length of the first delay threw me off, too. And TBH, I really don't like that they dumbed down the heat system ala PGI. So my spidey sense is tingling... but both of us got in it for the PvE, not the PvP...and we get access to tat part June 1, so I don't consider the second delay a big deal... because it is only for the PvP anyhow.

Again... yeah..in total it will probably slow down development having to take PvP into consideration, but between Mitch, Jordan and Mike, I figure if they can't deliver it .... then no one short of a EA/Blizzard?Microsoft level budget can, ya know?

I hope so... I really do. Don't get me wrong I like multiplayer in the sense of playing with friends but co-op could fill that void ;) never really cared for pvp. Some can argue that people are better opponents that AI. Then I'd fire back AI cheats and is programmed to be beaten and that's good for thought :)

On a side note at least MW5 is single player only :D

#45 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 26 May 2017 - 06:04 AM

View PostImperius, on 25 May 2017 - 04:00 PM, said:

Battletech Game

https://www.kickstar...h/posts/1895012

The whole team here is really excited to get the Backer Beta into your hands on June 1st. Unfortunately, in the last few weeks, we've been working through some significant multiplayer connectivity issues and as of yesterday, we don't believe multiplayer will be stable enough for release by June 1st. Therefore, the June 1st release will contain single-player Skirmish mode ONLY, and we will update the Beta with PvP multiplayer as soon as it's ready. No time estimate on that yet but we'll keep you posted.

Edit: Forgot subject matter for those who may not have pre-ordered. Sometimes I forget we aren't all the same in the know nerds!

PVP in Battletech is nothing more than 1v1 skirmish mode. It has zero to do with the core of the game...

#46 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 06:10 AM

I was somewhat surprised to read that in the SP Backer campaign, we get to pick BOTH ours and the AI's Lance make-up? I just hope that the AI is not absolutely and or totally brain-dead. ;)

#47 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,875 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 26 May 2017 - 06:12 AM

View PostAlmond Brown, on 26 May 2017 - 06:10 AM, said:

I was somewhat surprised to read that in the SP Backer campaign, we get to pick BOTH ours and the AI's Lance make-up? I just hope that the AI is not absolutely and or totally brain-dead. ;)

Right, there skirmish mode you get to pick your opponant. The single player campaign and the PVP modes you dont, of course.

So challenge yourself. Take a fire lance of LRM mechs and hold off a lance of SRM brawlers.

#48 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 26 May 2017 - 07:01 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 26 May 2017 - 06:04 AM, said:

PVP in Battletech is nothing more than 1v1 skirmish mode. It has zero to do with the core of the game...
yet for some reason it's already affecting things in the single player game.... hmmm strange

#49 FireStoat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 07:41 AM

If either of your turn based games that caught your attention was X-com or Final Fantasy tactics, we're in the same boat. I played the hell out of those. This one is set to catch my interest just as hard, and the multiplayer aspect in this style of game isn't that common. I'm still looking forward to it.

#50 Valhallan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 484 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 07:54 AM

I do agree that the BT multiplayer being delayed isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's just mystifying since normally Turn based games shouldn't have that problem.

As for a good tbs.... well...try this Posted Image , though it suffers from the same problem as dorf fortress (relatively simple graphics, though at least its not asc2 level) and isn't perfectly balanced (way too many factions so not surprising). (image stolen from 1d4chan)
Posted Image

#51 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 07:57 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 26 May 2017 - 06:12 AM, said:

Right, there skirmish mode you get to pick your opponent. The single player campaign and the PVP modes you don't, of course.

So challenge yourself. Take a fire lance of LRM mechs and hold off a lance of SRM brawlers.

Totally wonderful the first time you know they are coming, but having no idea what you will face adds just that little extra element of FUN...

P.S. I would go the other way as well. Enemy all LRM boats and us as the "Itty Bitty Brawlers" ;)

#52 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 08:22 AM

get old.. then come talk to me..

Even RTS's the ones i like have a scale system that you can slow it to a crawl.

To me this statement is so odd.. It's like.. How on earth can someone enjoy Chess

Though onto the topic. Wasn't this game a PVP only game until enough backers funded enough to add SP? Just seams like a weird thing to get upset about..

Edited by JC Daxion, 26 May 2017 - 08:23 AM.

#53 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 09:06 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 25 May 2017 - 04:07 PM, said:

Understood. I was kind of hoping it wouldn't make it either, because like you, I have seen the PvP side become the dominant factor, overshadowing and essentially ruining hte PvE aspect of some games. I am still hopeful that won't be the case here.

We will see, though.

I think multiplayer focus helps keep developers honest. When games are single player only or primarily, there is a tendency to just let unbalanced and broken mechanics slide for too long. It's also more difficult to pinpoint imbalance because the AI opponents are usually a bunch of glue-eaters.

For example, I play Stellaris which is a sci-fi strategy game. While it has multiplayer, probably 99.9% of games are single player. The result is that after a year and lots of patches, the game is still terribly unbalanced. Major balance flaws that were apparent from the start remain unfixed. It's still a great game and really fun, but I can't play certain ways because they are either so incredibly underpowered that I will just lose, or they are so overpowered that it's just not fun.

I know balance discussion can often be toxic and unpleasant, but I think at the end of the day you wind up with a better product.

#54 S p a n i a r d

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 09:15 AM

Reading "Tactical Mech Combat" on the kickstarter page made me remember that other tactical
Mechwarrior game I was really excited about but turned out vanishing into thin air. Please don't
let that happen to your project. Wishing the best for you guys

#55 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 09:26 AM

Became a backer primarily for the SP aspect of the game. I enjoy RTS turn styled games and SP allows you to be casual and leisurely with your progress.

I'm optimistic for the MP, since turn based doesn't seem to attract as many mouth-breathers, and willing to wait for it and judge it then. Hopefully the community is as cordial once MP is instated.

#56 kuma8877

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 691 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 26 May 2017 - 09:29 AM

So I guess we can see who enjoys tabletop games here.... ;)

#57 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 09:48 AM

I have no concerns with Single Player and Multiplayer in the same game depending on details.
- Will we use only our own Mechs in MP? Able to buy any or only those obtained from SP play?
- Will only certain pilots be available?
- Is there some type of skill and/or level defferences in game mechanics that would affect MP?
- Why are some weapons x5 damage while others x4? How do they work against the x3 armor?
- Why does the little PPC use so far appear to suck?
- Will the MP be gated?

I also do not like the MWO Heat System.

A bunch of people freaked when Paradox Interactive was announced to be involved.

View PostJC Daxion, on 25 May 2017 - 05:20 PM, said:

Now if the story and AI can live up, we will see.

View PostAlmond Brown, on 26 May 2017 - 06:10 AM, said:

I was somewhat surprised to read that in the SP Backer campaign, we get to pick BOTH ours and the AI's Lance make-up? I just hope that the AI is not absolutely and or totally brain-dead. Posted Image

You can get some idea about the AI from the other PDXCON video.

View PostDarian DelFord, on 26 May 2017 - 04:03 AM, said:

The real question will be this...... how much of a ghost town do you think MWO will be for the first few months BT is actually released.

Not so much MWO as FP. FP was supposed to be the immersion of this game. Eventually MW5 is now supposed to be that.
Of course we do have the tools to do our own immersion but seems quite a number within the community are way to lazy and would rather balme PGI compared to thsoe still playing MWLL.

View PostDarian DelFord, on 26 May 2017 - 05:39 AM, said:

I really really really want a company to come out with a great D&D turn based game... not the monstrosity that was LEgends of Sword coast.

Never saw this but after looking at the trailer, probably failed due to NWN/NWN2 being out on GOG and the extended BG/ID remakes out there for purchase too. NWN titles still have a Vault and a small number of people putting out modules plus online persistant worlds being run.

Top down games both SP and MP can be fun, the ability to spend a turn without the stress of rushing into decisions is very relaxing, one of the things that made games like Master of Orion fun.

View PostJC Daxion, on 26 May 2017 - 08:22 AM, said:

Though onto the topic. Wasn't this game a PVP only game until enough backers funded enough to add SP? Just seams like a weird thing to get upset about..

The other way around, the MP was a high level goal the highest I think, was aimed as SP unless we reached that and did.
MWT was MP from the outset.

#58 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 10:04 AM

As for community quality, I expect it to be much better than MWO, in my experience shooter games in general have always had the worst communities with MOBAs coming second.

However there was that one issue that has caused fires both on Kickstarter and forums, I was so annoyed I just dropped a mild post about walking away from it all expressing my disgust instead of participating and was surprised I got a mod warning about physical violence that was nowhere in my post at all.

Have not been to forums since, if they give Mod warnings for things like that where zero violence is shown, don't need my time wasted.

While I was on the forums, I did note a number of people there who used to post here but I have not seen on the MWO forums or in game in a long time.

#59 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 26 May 2017 - 10:40 AM

View PostImperius, on 25 May 2017 - 04:00 PM, said:

Battletech Game

https://www.kickstar...h/posts/1895012

The whole team here is really excited to get the Backer Beta into your hands on June 1st. Unfortunately, in the last few weeks, we've been working through some significant multiplayer connectivity issues and as of yesterday, we don't believe multiplayer will be stable enough for release by June 1st. Therefore, the June 1st release will contain single-player Skirmish mode ONLY, and we will update the Beta with PvP multiplayer as soon as it's ready. No time estimate on that yet but we'll keep you posted.

Edit: Forgot subject matter for those who may not have pre-ordered. Sometimes I forget we aren't all the same in the know nerds!

So, the multiplayer connectivity problem pushed back the game release from June 1st to June 1st? Brutal.

#60 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 26 May 2017 - 10:59 AM

View PostJman5, on 26 May 2017 - 09:06 AM, said:

I think multiplayer focus helps keep developers honest. When games are single player only or primarily, there is a tendency to just let unbalanced and broken mechanics slide for too long. It's also more difficult to pinpoint imbalance because the AI opponents are usually a bunch of glue-eaters.

For example, I play Stellaris which is a sci-fi strategy game. While it has multiplayer, probably 99.9% of games are single player. The result is that after a year and lots of patches, the game is still terribly unbalanced. Major balance flaws that were apparent from the start remain unfixed. It's still a great game and really fun, but I can't play certain ways because they are either so incredibly underpowered that I will just lose, or they are so overpowered that it's just not fun.

I know balance discussion can often be toxic and unpleasant, but I think at the end of the day you wind up with a better product.

Balance is great...and important... but too often PvP games simply becomes TDMs... which often means any attempt at actual story writing on the PvE become vestigial. You can have perfect balance, but if the "campaign" writing has all the variety of MWO game modes... it's a fail.

Yes, your Unreal Tournament PvP FPS types can still have fun, because the TDM part might be fine. But PvE though are usually meant to be inherently unbalanced, as you are usually facing far greater numbers of enemies... thus if perfectly balanced, the player will lose. What is good and balanced for PvP is not necessarily good and balanced for PvE.

What made MW2, 3 and even 4 good games was they were campaign driven PvE games, with a decent campaign written for them, first.. and the PvP was really an afterthought... which was tuned after the fact. Because TBH, it's usually easier to tune FPS balance than it is to write good PvE games.

And that is before one starts weighing in the toxicity that seems endemic to much of the epeen crowd that PvP almost always draws.

Obviously having a balanced PvP doesn't ensure a bad PvE experience, but too often it seems that all the effort and focus goes to the PvP side to the detriment of making a good PvE game.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 26 May 2017 - 11:12 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users