How To Make The New "portal" Notice The Installed Game

11 replies to this topic

#1 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 03:47 AM

The old launcher has received a notification that it's going to be phased out. I have already prior installed the new portal and just received it received an update, but it still doens't recognize the game being installed.

How do I fix this? The portal doesn't have any settings or way to point to the installed game.

#2 Throe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 01:00 AM

[deleted by user]

Edited by Throe, 20 November 2018 - 11:35 AM.

#3 Shismar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 10:47 AM

I installed the new portal into my MWO directory and it does not recognize my game folder ...

Now, that folder probably changed a couple times during the years, depending on my SSD space and interest in MWO, but I would have thought that having the portal directory in the MWO folder would make things easy ...

Simple solution, a settings file where I can select my installation. Or a search function that scans the disk.

I don't even see any configuration files. Please don't tell me you are relying on registry entries?

I don't see anything the portal does better than the patcher either.

#4 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 12:47 AM

So the portal checks registry to see where game should be.
So the reg key is located in
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Production\Install

I had installaed the game on this Windows to other drive than OS, but later on I got an SSD, cloned the OS to it and moved few games to it as well. As previously most games were on another HDD so the MWO path had been changed.

Fixing that made the portal find the game, haven't yet had chance to see if it can patch the game as well as no new patches have been yet.

#5 Scyther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 23 June 2017 - 02:18 AM

Good tip, Teer, and TY for the research. However, my Portal is installed in the current directory (C:\Games\Piranha Games\) and that Registry HKEY location has the entry INSTALL_LOCATION C:\Games\Piranha Games\ and it still can't find it.

It's never been moved since original install, although the OS has been updated a couple times.
The current(old) launcher has no problem finding it.
The current MWO Repair Tool finds it, but the Portal Repair Tool (although it specifically says it will check the correct current install location) simply hangs and does nothing.

The fact that the old launcher finds the correct install, and updates it correctly, and the old Repair Tool correctly works on the correct location, means that PGI already has the correct, functioning code to make this work.

They simply botched it in the Portal, are pretending the problem isn't on their end, and are ignoring multiple posts showing that their 'new improved we'll-force-you-to-use' system is broken.

When it actually works, I'll use it. Until then, any other help or advice (such as your helpful registry check) I will look into to see if the source of the problem can be located. Apparently, unless we debug their crap code for them, PGI can't be bothered.

Edited by MadBadger, 23 June 2017 - 02:22 AM.

#6 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 June 2017 - 05:56 AM

if your up to date on with windows 10, you could try hard linking the directories ....

#7 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:30 PM

https://mwomercs.com...ost__p__5796166

Thread were it has been discussed and how I was able to get Portal linked to the game.

drive:\folder name\folder name\Piranha Games

That is the directory to use for Portal and when it asks you to install MWO.

If your MWO is installed in Programs File folder such as this:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\Mechwarrior Online use ONLY C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games for both Portal install and when it asks you to install MWO also direct to C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games

If MWO is installed in C:\games\Piranha Games\Mechwarrior Online use just C:\games\Piranha Games for both.

Portal is current a standalone GUI, PGI has not integrated it into actual game directory.

#8 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:12 AM

View PostMadBadger, on 23 June 2017 - 02:18 AM, said:

Good tip, Teer, and TY for the research. However, my Portal is installed in the current directory (C:\Games\Piranha Games\) and that Registry HKEY location has the entry INSTALL_LOCATION C:\Games\Piranha Games\ and it still can't find it.

The registry should point to installed game directory.

Example
"C:\games\MechWarriorOnline\MechWarrior Online\"

And that directory has directories like bin32, bin64, engine, game ect.

Edited by Teer Kerensky, 29 June 2017 - 01:15 AM.

#9 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 02:18 AM

So the keys are in
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Production

The parent folders mentioned above are all empty. In the last one we have "string value" named TEMPFOLDER, containing example "C:\games\MechWarriorOnline\MWOUpdate\"

It seems to be used by the launcher update, not portal, as the files from there are from May 2017, which is probably when I last used it before fixing the portal and using it.

Under the production key(folder) we have
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Production\Install
which contains 3 values.

Dword named DTSC, containing 1. Dword named SMSC, containing 1. What do these mean, no idea. Likely some settings for the launcher, not important for portal.

And most importantly string value "INSTALL_LOCATION", containing example "C:\games\MechWarriorOnline\MechWarrior Online\"

And that directory has directories like bin32, bin64, engine, game ect.

#10 VaudeVillain

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 136 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 02:35 AM

Run the Command Prompt as an Administrator, then run this command to add the registry entry.

reg add HKCU\SOFTWARE\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Production\Install /v INSTALL_LOCATION /t REG_SZ /d "C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\" /f

Change the path to the proper location if it's not C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\.

#11 Cleo

• Pip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 02:18 AM

SInce this is the top Google result and the registry key was different for me, I figured someone else might have trouble finding it, so here it is: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Piranha Games\Mechwarrior Online\Production\Install

#12 admiralbenbow123

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 442 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 02 July 2018 - 02:41 AM

I have a good solution: install the portal to the folder where you have MWO installed. For example, if you have MWO installed like this:
D:/games/Mechwarrior Online ("Mechwarrior Online" being the directory of the game)
you should install the portal into the "games" folder.

Edited by admiralbenbow123, 02 July 2018 - 02:48 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users