#261 mad kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 01 June 2017 - 05:36 AM

View PostDontStandBehindMe, on 31 May 2017 - 08:53 PM, said:

the biggest issue I find is that the developers have no concept of how to write a match maker that creates balanced teams...team A has 8 of 12 people who didn't even break 200 damage and 4 people who do while team B have all 12 doing 300+....Team A gets 0-3 kills (4 on a good game) and team B of course all 12 enemies killed. This is the end game results for 90% of the games I played this weekend. Add in how huge the disparity is now between a brand new, unskilled mech and a fully skilled mech and I hate to say it, there was very little "fun" to be had despite an otherwise great and easily achievable event. Now that you have redone the skill tree PGI I think you should be putting as much or more effort into building a new match making system that balances teams rather than putting all the best players available on one team and all the worst players available on the other.

This is so very true my matches over the last week have been horrendous and they were so bad I asked for an extension but alas no. I had 2000 left to go on the last evening and thought based on the track record of this event I wouldn't get it finished, so I actually rearranged rl to allow me extra time to cram it in then the matchmaker went all kind at first and started giving me consecutive wins so actually would of managed it in my normal timescale after all.

Ffs the matchmaker is painfully inconsistent.

Edited by mad kat, 01 June 2017 - 05:37 AM.

#262 Archer Magnus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 218 posts
  • LocationFoCo

Posted 01 June 2017 - 05:56 AM

Awesome event and sale, thank you PGI!

#263 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 01 June 2017 - 07:28 AM

View Postmad kat, on 01 June 2017 - 05:36 AM, said:

This is so very true my matches over the last week have been horrendous and they were so bad I asked for an extension but alas no. I had 2000 left to go on the last evening and thought based on the track record of this event I wouldn't get it finished, so I actually rearranged rl to allow me extra time to cram it in then the matchmaker went all kind at first and started giving me consecutive wins so actually would of managed it in my normal timescale after all.

Ffs the matchmaker is painfully inconsistent.

My experience is not that it puts the best players on one side, but your mileage with said players will vary.

There is no environment for "live-testing builds" or "Don't feel like playing serious, I'mma try to be funny", or even "Ya know, I just don't GAF...", etc.

My point being, I think most of us do this at some point or other and its not fun when you are trying to do well while the guys that MM felt should be carrying the team are experimenting. Again, I'm not blaming them, its the only way we have to live-test builds w/o dragging people into private lobbies (people that may rather be earning stuff).

I dunno if we can really handle adding an "alt-queue" for people not trying to well.

#264 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 01 June 2017 - 01:22 PM

Hi again, everyone... I barely managed to finish the Event here (like within the final few hours), as several things managed to drop in and clash in my life all at once. Frankly, I'm rather happy to have picked up the entire stack of Rewards from this Event, as I almost thought several times that I didn't have a chance of making it in time. Those nifty Paint Colors should come in very handy, the new Mech in my Bays will provide some good experimentation (muahahahaha), and all those Cockpit Items will provide some interesting decoration choices. B)

I do wonder, however... was there any War Horns that were Promotional Cockpit Items? I'll give PGI an idea here, and suggest they might put some of that up for Event Rewards, if there are any. Even if there are not, I'll still look forward to more normal War Horns, Paint Colors, and Supply Keys to be earned. I'm still short on lots of those. :mellow:

As for the Sale, PGI made a good move doing a 50% Off on Mech Bays, so I picked up 10 of those for further expanding my not-so-large Mech Stable. Still waiting for the Next 50% Off Hero Mech Sale however, but I can wait very patiently for that to come at the end of the year. (Only reason I didn't use more of my Hard-Earned (MC) now.) I can say picking up a certain Light Mech has been very interesting, as it has its' moments when it can be played to useful effect. ;)

Anyway, excuse me... My Mech Stable is looking at me with these weird body postures... Something about "I'm having trouble doing what you helped design me to do." seems to be the thought they're trying to convey... Wait a minute, is that one charging a PPC? And are those loaded Missile Tubes? Dangit, they've got some angry personalities right now! <*dives for cover, and an ugly loud sound is heard about three seconds later*> :blink:

~Mr. D. V. "Dealing with a stable full of Mechs still not happy about these New Skill Trees..." Devnull

(p.s. (while hiding behind a stack of non-explosive barrels): My LRM-using Mechs keep bothering me about how they looked forward to being able to reach out. They're totally not happy about being 100 meters or more short of where they needed to provide support out to! Heck, they're even more angry about being unable to arch up properly to counter and catch snipers that keep ducking behind things. I hate to think how much worse it will be when those new Missile Systems get here after the "Civil War Update"...)

[Edit by Post Author for a missed thought...]

Edited by D V Devnull, 01 June 2017 - 01:24 PM.

#265 Chound

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 300 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:44 PM

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image That was an interesting take on it. I knew from previous match scores that I had no chance on the event and concentrated on XP to skill up my old mechs. It was very tough going since harraser/srikers don't do a lot of damage especially with LRM volleys.

#266 James Argent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 04:17 PM

So if you don't think it's important enough to spend less than a single minute out of your day to scan the Announcements topic list, can it really be that important for you to know about the events? After all, if you can't spare the time to check, how can you possibly commit the time to actually play the event? The time and effort investment to keep yourself aware is absolutely minimal. Any less and PGI would have to be spooning it into your mouths over a bib with cooing noises. "Heeeere comes the MWO event airplane for a landing...open the hangar doors! VRROOOM!"

#267 A Really Old Clan Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 302 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 05:07 PM

Overall a good event, especially for those with only a year or two under there belt.
The sale on one shots was extra nice and a few of my mechs now have moved from grey to funky.

To get to 10000 was not that long. In solo, a bad game could still net you 200pts per game, a 700+ damage game would get you 450+pts. Conquest games always seem to give me better scores/cbill/xp than any other modes.

Edited by DrVoodooAUS, 01 June 2017 - 05:07 PM.

#268 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:30 AM

View PostJames Argent, on 01 June 2017 - 04:17 PM, said:

So if you don't think it's important enough to spend less than a single minute out of your day to scan the Announcements topic list, can it really be that important for you to know about the events? After all, if you can't spare the time to check, how can you possibly commit the time to actually play the event? The time and effort investment to keep yourself aware is absolutely minimal. Any less and PGI would have to be spooning it into your mouths over a bib with cooing noises. "Heeeere comes the MWO event airplane for a landing...open the hangar doors! VRROOOM!"

You clearly have no idea of how any well or even moderately organised online F2P game nowadays promotes events if you think this is the absolute best they could do. Posted Image

#269 James Argent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 09:45 AM

Nobody ever said it was the best PGI could do. I said it isn't a major investment of anyone's time to load up a website and scan a subforum's topic list once per day...and if someone is too busy to fit that into their daily routine because of work, family, or houses, they can't possibly commit the time needed to do anything to complete the event about which they didn't bother to discover. Yet somehow they find the time afterward to come to the forum to type up a post not just to complain, but to have read the thread and reply to my post. In the very topic they 'didn't have time to scan.'

#270 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 01:02 PM

View PostJames Argent, on 02 June 2017 - 09:45 AM, said:

Nobody ever said it was the best PGI could do. I said it isn't a major investment of anyone's time to load up a website and scan a subforum's topic list once per day...and if someone is too busy to fit that into their daily routine because of work, family, or houses, they can't possibly commit the time needed to do anything to complete the event about which they didn't bother to discover. Yet somehow they find the time afterward to come to the forum to type up a post not just to complain, but to have read the thread and reply to my post. In the very topic they 'didn't have time to scan.'

Except this argument is along the lines of .... **** the customers we don't need them playing unless they play every day....

That's an appalling business idea. You need to keep people playing without them feeling forced.

#271 James Argent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 02:52 PM

We're speaking past each other to make totally separate points. You're focusing on what PGI does, and that's a perfectly legitimate issue. I'm making the point that whether or not PGI does everything according to your or anyone else's wishes, they aren't actively hiding events. People will still miss out on them if they don't care enough to take a single minute out of their day to check the website.

The information is there. PGI's track record on not spoonfeeding event announcements with text, email, TV commercials, semaphore flags, etc. is well established and shouldn't surprise anyone. If people don't care enough to check the announcements often, I can't see how a) they have any right to complain if they miss out, and b ) it can truly be that big a deal to them that they missed it. Certainly, ask PGI to get the info out there quicker/better...but nobody should b*tch about missing an event because they already know what they need to do to stay informed under PGI's current announcement method...refusing to do it does not place the blame for missing an event on PGI's head.

Edited by James Argent, 03 June 2017 - 02:52 PM.

#272 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:30 PM

They do really need to "get the word out" earlier, even if its "Event this upcoming weekend! Details coming!!" So people *know* to look.

This way, if they still have details to hash out, they don't feel obligated to state things before they can commit to it...

But will be coming back to check and see what/when those details are there.

Edited by MovinTarget, 03 June 2017 - 04:51 PM.

#273 Apollo777

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 265 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 04 June 2017 - 06:23 AM

View PostDontStandBehindMe, on 31 May 2017 - 08:53 PM, said:

the biggest issue I find is that the developers have no concept of how to write a match maker that creates balanced teams...team A has 8 of 12 people who didn't even break 200 damage and 4 people who do while team B have all 12 doing 300+....Team A gets 0-3 kills (4 on a good game) and team B of course all 12 enemies killed. This is the end game results for 90% of the games I played this weekend. Add in how huge the disparity is now between a brand new, unskilled mech and a fully skilled mech and I hate to say it, there was very little "fun" to be had despite an otherwise great and easily achievable event. Now that you have redone the skill tree PGI I think you should be putting as much or more effort into building a new match making system that balances teams rather than putting all the best players available on one team and all the worst players available on the other.

I noticed that too, lately 99% of my matches end up with 12-2 or 12-3 score win or lose, and most of the time i'm losing, i don't know, maybe there aren't enough players that's why match maker doesn't work well!! but it sucks and i'm tierd of it.Posted Image

#274 drachnien

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 26 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 05 June 2017 - 02:22 AM

I'm confused, why are people complaining about loosing a lot. winning or loosing doesn't affect your match score. I lost quite a lot of matches during the event with a match score >400. The fact it was a loss didn't effect that score.

#275 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 05 June 2017 - 03:16 AM

View Postdrachnien, on 05 June 2017 - 02:22 AM, said:

I'm confused, why are people complaining about loosing a lot. winning or loosing doesn't affect your match score. I lost quite a lot of matches during the event with a match score &gt;400. The fact it was a loss didn't effect that score.

Winning definetely affects matchs score.

The problem may stem from people not realizing that lots of other things do too.

They may think that to get a good score all they have to do is get a lot of damage/assists and win...

That will help, but if you ever look at the middle section of your individual summary, they may find that all the little things you can do add up and can ovetcome the need to win just to get dat score.

Sounds like you may already do some/all of that, making you loss-proof. ;)

#276 drachnien

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 26 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:05 AM

Fair I tend to favour lights and fast meds so lots of flanking, spotting, protecting :) never noticed winning or loosing effecting the score though.

#277 Apollo777

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 265 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:17 AM

View Postdrachnien, on 05 June 2017 - 02:22 AM, said:

I'm confused, why are people complaining about loosing a lot. winning or loosing doesn't affect your match score. I lost quite a lot of matches during the event with a match score >400. The fact it was a loss didn't effect that score.

I'm not complaining about my match score or losing, I said maybe something isn't right about match maker that almost every match ends with 12-2 kills!

#278 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:33 AM

View PostApollo777, on 05 June 2017 - 06:17 AM, said:

I'm not complaining about my match score or losing, I said maybe something isn't right about match maker that almost every match ends with 12-2 kills!

You might be right about the population thing... I know it fluxuates, but when you start seeing the same names over and over, even if you took a short break between matches... you have to wonder...

#279 James Argent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:32 AM

I'm noticing the same kill distribution on my matches. Lately, only one of them has been 'close.' (12-6 isn't really close, but it's a lot closer than the 12-2 new normal.)

#280 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:54 PM

View PostJames Argent, on 03 June 2017 - 02:52 PM, said:

We're speaking past each other to make totally separate points. You're focusing on what PGI does, and that's a perfectly legitimate issue. I'm making the point that whether or not PGI does everything according to your or anyone else's wishes, they aren't actively hiding events. People will still miss out on them if they don't care enough to take a single minute out of their day to check the website.

The information is there. PGI's track record on not spoonfeeding event announcements with text, email, TV commercials, semaphore flags, etc. is well established and shouldn't surprise anyone. If people don't care enough to check the announcements often, I can't see how a) they have any right to complain if they miss out, and b ) it can truly be that big a deal to them that they missed it. Certainly, ask PGI to get the info out there quicker/better...but nobody should b*tch about missing an event because they already know what they need to do to stay informed under PGI's current announcement method...refusing to do it does not place the blame for missing an event on PGI's head.

so basically you're just white knighting PGI's inability to organise and communicate effectively by blaming it on the players. Classy.....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users